• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought....

teresatyso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages
First of all - congratulations on the decision to rescind. Absolutely the right call in this situation.

This auction ends shortly - but you can see how the market values SFlex (very few WFlex packages have come to market as it is relatively new):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/106-800-An...438151?hash=item3419a36587:g:MLsAAOSwishdn2Ts

Your purchase price was $0.386/SFlex Option (annualized) which is a bit higher than I would expect on pricing for the EOY Sheraton units. There are certain discounts available - but with a trade in they might give you discount.

I'm one of the few here who will admit openly to buying Westin Flex. In our case we had a specific use in mind and a few other factors - such as requalifying another unit in - but we paid about the same amount per WFlex Option as you did - and WFlex is a much better product than SFlex IMO as you get 8-12 month priority at the Hawaii resorts (which even transfers on resale).

A few points that others have largely already made:

- You already own a great resort and you won't get any additional benefits beyond what you have right now by buying SFlex
- The only way to book Westin Resorts with a Flex package is to either own Westin Flex (home resort period for several of the US Westin Resorts is 8-12 months) or to do a StarOption Exchange in the 0-8 month period IF you bought developer - otherwise you are limited to your home resorts in Sheraton.
- Yes - WFlex MF went up by 6.8% this year but that was largely because the developer was subsidizing the MF which held it down artificially (I believe @controller1 owns WFlex and not SFlex).
- Any talk of booking into Marriott is complete speculation. To his credit, when our sales guy sold us our WFlex package (via central sales - not onsite) he said nothing was announced and he would be shocked if they figured the integration out within the next two years (this was when I asked him if there were integration plans - he could have easily lied).
- 140,000 is an odd number of Flex Options to have. I would have gone with 148,100 for an extra $1.6k. If you are wanting to book into a Westin that would give you a full week in plat season for most resorts.

Thanks jabbberwocky, I now see that different "threads" are in different places (I replied to you on the MF thread). And thank you for the link to Ebay - Yikes!

BTW, the ad for the auction of the FLEX plan implies the buyer can use all 23 Sh & We resorts, but the salesperson (and others in the past) said that upon resale the new owners can only use the resort that they own and do not have the right to use the free internal Star Option exchanges within and between Sh and We. Presumably, from what people have said on TUG, in the FLEX plans, new buyers of "used?" plans can only use the resorts in the one they bought into, either Sh OR We. Which in Sheraton has gone from 6 resorts to 8, I was told. Is this true?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
BTW, the ad for the auction of the FLEX plan implies the buyer can use all 23 Sh & We resorts, but the salesperson (and others in the past) said that upon resale the new owners can only use the resort that they own and do not have the right to use the free internal Star Option exchanges within and between Sh and We. Presumably, from what people have said on TUG, in the FLEX plans, new buyers of "used?" plans can only use the resorts in the one they bought into, either Sh OR We. Which in Sheraton has gone from 6 resorts to 8, I was told. Is this true?

The eBay ad is incorrect and you can't book into 23 resorts if you purchase this resale. You can only get all 23 with StarOptions which do not transfer on resale.

With Flex it is a bit different from what you own right now at SVV in that even with resale you have a collection of home resorts, so you can still book at any of those even if you bought resale - you just can't book into Hawaii for example if you bought SFlex resale. With SVV since yours is voluntary all the resale buyer would have is the right to book at that phase within the same season.

For Flex resale the following resorts are considered "Home resorts" and can be booked anytime 0-12 months for stays of 1-14 days starting any day of the week pending availability:

For Westin Flex Home Resorts are:

Westin Mission Hills (CA)
Westin Desert Willow (CA)
Westin Kierland Villas (AZ)
Westin Princeville (HI)
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (HI)
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - North (HI)
Westin Nanea (HI)
Westin Riverfront (CO)

Sheraton Flex Home Resorts:

Sheraton Vistana Resort (FL)
Sheraton Vistana Villages (FL)
Vistana's Beach Club (FL)
Sheraton Desert Oasis (AZ)
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (SC)
Sheraton Steamboat Springs (CO)
Sheraton Mountain Vista (CO)
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace (CO)

I'll also mention the Westin Aventuras Flex program as this is new (only MX resorts) and separate from the regular Westin Flex program (but operates in a similar fashion).

Westin Aventuras Home Resorts:

Westin Lagunamar
Westin Los Cabos

There are also other single resort flavours of Flex for resorts that have phases with "HomeOptions" such as WSJ and Nanea.

Looking at this I think we need to update the Flex FAQ sticky as it is pretty old and a lot has changed.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks carpie. I bought a Sheraton Flex and when I think about it, I usually stay at Westin properties. The 8 month period does not bother me since the farthest out I can ever plan is about 6 months and usually less.

I really would like to know if anyone who has a FLEX or listened to the spiel was told that Westin and Sheraton would eventually be joining up with Marriott and the other 2 chains Marriott bought so that the FLEX plan would allow you to use all those resorts without an exchange fee...until they are officially joined (in January so he said) there is an exchange fee.

I will probably rescind and go back to what I had; I just thought I would be able to have access to more resorts and according to the salesperson pay lower MFs (they are about the same now but he said the FLEX MFs would go up MUCH less than my old MFs) and that it would be difficult to reserve weeks with my old plan because when Sheraton and Westin join up with Marriott and the other chains, the number of people wanting to reserve would be much greater.

Also I saw on controller1's post that his FLEX MF did go up 6.8% - WAY more than the .25% that my salesman told me was the most it had gone up annually since they started offering the FLEX in 2015!
You need to rescind. Keep what you have assuming your SVV allows you to use star options. You purchased SVV through developer? If you stay at Westin’s mostly then look for Westin flex resale which would be very low.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You need to rescind. Keep what you have assuming your SVV allows you to use star options. You purchased SVV through developer? If you stay at Westin’s mostly then look for Westin flex resale which would be very low.

There have not been many Westin Flex contracts that have come onto the market from what I have seen. I'm also not sure of how much ROFR there will be exercised on the Flex products.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
There have not been many Westin Flex contracts that have come onto the market from what I have seen. I'm also not sure of how much ROFR there will be exercised on the Flex products.
Plenty of Sheraton flex. I’ve seen a few Westin flex. They will eventually pop up. Plus it seems she can rescind and get her SVV back? Idk how that works

Devmacd

Reaction score
After rescinding, what is the timeline to expect for the refund of the initial deposit?

We rescinded on December 2nd, and haven’t heard a peep!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
After rescinding, what is the timeline to expect for the refund of the initial deposit?

We rescinded on December 2nd, and haven’t heard a peep!
It can take up to 45 days to see a refund.

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
The eBay ad is incorrect and you can't book into 23 resorts if you purchase this resale. You can only get all 23 with StarOptions which do not transfer on resale.

With Flex it is a bit different from what you own right now at SVV in that even with resale you have a collection of home resorts, so you can still book at any of those even if you bought resale - you just can't book into Hawaii for example if you bought SFlex resale. With SVV since yours is voluntary all the resale buyer would have is the right to book at that phase within the same season.

For Flex resale the following resorts are considered "Home resorts" and can be booked anytime 0-12 months for stays of 1-14 days starting any day of the week pending availability:

For Westin Flex Home Resorts are:

Westin Mission Hills (CA)
Westin Desert Willow (CA)
Westin Kierland Villas (AZ)
Westin Princeville (HI)
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (HI)
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - North (HI)
Westin Nanea (HI)
Westin Riverfront (CO)

Sheraton Flex Home Resorts:

Sheraton Vistana Resort (FL)
Sheraton Vistana Villages (FL)
Vistana's Beach Club (FL)
Sheraton Desert Oasis (AZ)
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (SC)
Sheraton Steamboat Springs (CO)
Sheraton Mountain Vista (CO)
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace (CO)

I'll also mention the Westin Aventuras Flex program as this is new (only MX resorts) and separate from the regular Westin Flex program (but operates in a similar fashion).

Westin Aventuras Home Resorts:

Westin Lagunamar
Westin Los Cabos

There are also other single resort flavours of Flex for resorts that have phases with "HomeOptions" such as WSJ and Nanea.

Looking at this I think we need to update the Flex FAQ sticky as it is pretty old and a lot has changed.

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
We just returned from a stay at Westin Los Cabos that was booked on hotel points. We loved the resort and would potentially like to return there occasionally for a 5-6 day beach getaway. We attended the sales presentation for the incentives: 40k Bonvoy points and excursion discounts. The offer: 44,000 Options in Westin Aventuras on a Biennial (every other year) basis for $10121 including closing costs after discount applied for current stay (despite being booked on points). Access to Getaways and Gold first year membership in Interval Exchange. Incentives to purchase: 135k Bonvoy points for deed purchase in Westin Aventuras at the 44k Options biennial level. The ability to buy up to 6 packages of 330k Bonvoy points for $2275 over next few years. How much can this be purchased for resale? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

I’m new to this and have so far only found dated information in comparison to the program as presented. Was told could use Options to book at any of the Sheraton or Westin resorts or exchange through Interval. Bank for 2 years etc.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Adventuras program is relatively new so you won’t find many on the resale market.

IMO the 44,000 package will be too small and only get you 5-6 days if you book a studio or hotel room in low season (take a look at the chart - it would be fall weeks 34-40). The resort is new to the system so you won’t find weeks inventory out there I believe. The small package like this will be very difficult to resell since the buyer would be limited to only those two resorts (the StarOptions won’t transfer on resale).

Low season it would be very easy to book in with StarOptions starting at the 8 month window. Unless you need booking priority in the 8-12 month period I would recommend either:

1) a Westin Kierland Villas unit (mandatory resort). You can get a medium season unit for next to nothing that would have the same number of points (44,000) and a similar maint fee or if you want more options you could pay up a bit more for a 1BR platinum unit worth 81,000 options (same maint fee). You could also look at a SVV mandatory week. In either case your buy in cost would be a lot lower and you get nearly everything you would with the Aventuras points.

2) if you like Mexico you could get a platinum Lagunamar one week EOY resale for $1-2k in a studio or 1BR. These ones don’t come with StarOptions since it would be resale; however, you could trade via interval international into Los Cabos or a plethora of other resorts (including Marriotts). Annual maint fees would also be much lower than Aventuras. A future direct purchase of $10k could bring this week back into the system and give you StarOptions.

if you want more flexibility option 1 is your better bet. If you are okay with booking a one week stay in high season and willing to put in a bit of time to learn the trading system then option 2 would be something to consider.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 @jabberwocky IMO I would look at option 1 with an annual 44k or EOY SVV 81k unit for < $1000. You can use the points to trade into 5 day stays into the Westin and any other resort in the system. Unlike #2 Lagunamar, this doesn't require an additional $10k investment to requal the unit for 5 night flexibility.

It will also be much easier to dispose of an SVV unit than a Mexican unit when you are done. Compared to the other alternatives (including developer purchase) you cannot lose money you haven't spent.

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
The Adventuras program is relatively new so you won’t find many on the resale market.

IMO the 44,000 package will be too small and only get you 5-6 days if you book a studio or hotel room in low season (take a look at the chart - it would be fall weeks 34-40). The resort is new to the system so you won’t find weeks inventory out there I believe. The small package like this will be very difficult to resell since the buyer would be limited to only those two resorts (the StarOptions won’t transfer on resale).

Low season it would be very easy to book in with StarOptions starting at the 8 month window. Unless you need booking priority in the 8-12 month period I would recommend either:

1) a Westin Kierland Villas unit (mandatory resort). You can get a medium season unit for next to nothing that would have the same number of points (44,000) and a similar maint fee or if you want more options you could pay up a bit more for a 1BR platinum unit worth 81,000 options (same maint fee). You could also look at a SVV mandatory week. In either case your buy in cost would be a lot lower and you get nearly everything you would with the Aventuras points.

2) if you like Mexico you could get a platinum Lagunamar one week EOY resale for $1-2k in a studio or 1BR. These ones don’t come with StarOptions since it would be resale; however, you could trade via interval international into Los Cabos or a plethora of other resorts (including Marriotts). Annual maint fees would also be much lower than Aventuras. A future direct purchase of $10k could bring this week back into the system and give you StarOptions.

if you want more flexibility option 1 is your better bet. If you are okay with booking a one week stay in high season and willing to put in a bit of time to learn the trading system then option 2 would be something to consider.
Thanks so much for the info!

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
+1 @jabberwocky IMO I would look at option 1 with an annual 44k or EOY SVV 81k unit for < $1000. You can use the points to trade into 5 day stays into the Westin and any other resort in the system. Unlike #2 Lagunamar, this doesn't require an additional $10k investment to requal the unit for 5 night flexibility.

It will also be much easier to dispose of an SVV unit than a Mexican unit when you are done. Compared to the other alternatives (including developer purchase) you cannot lose money you haven't spent.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
We just returned from a stay at Westin Los Cabos that was booked on hotel points. We loved the resort and would potentially like to return there occasionally for a 5-6 day beach getaway. We attended the sales presentation for the incentives: 40k Bonvoy points and excursion discounts. The offer: 44,000 Options in Westin Aventuras on a Biennial (every other year) basis for $10121 including closing costs after discount applied for current stay (despite being booked on points). Access to Getaways and Gold first year membership in Interval Exchange. Incentives to purchase: 135k Bonvoy points for deed purchase in Westin Aventuras at the 44k Options biennial level. The ability to buy up to 6 packages of 330k Bonvoy points for $2275 over next few years. How much can this be purchased for resale? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

I’m new to this and have so far only found dated information in comparison to the program as presented. Was told could use Options to book at any of the Sheraton or Westin resorts or exchange through Interval. Bank for 2 years etc.
Rescind and buy resale. Then use the savings for whatever is important for you: paying off mortgage, your child's education, etc.

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras

Currently, we travel on a combo of cash/loyalty points. I understand the Bonvoy hotel points system and have the patience etc that I could most likely make use of the incentive points packages worthwhile. If I decided to make the developer purchase because of the incentives, would my EOY 44k Options combine with Options from a future resale purchase at SVV?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It would combine at 8 months prior to check-in as Staroptions. However you would be overpaying by $10k. You could buy 1 SVV (mandatory bella or Key west) resale for < $1000 and get 81k points annually instead of EOY or get double the points for an EOY 81k. MF is approx. $1200/year or half that annually if EOY.

What is the annual maintenance fee on the 44k Flex EOY? I bet it is more than $600.

Last edited:

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
It would combine at 8 months prior to check-in as Staroptions. However you would be overpaying by $10k. You could buy 1 SVV (mandatory bella or Key west) resale for < $1000 and get 81k points annually instead of EOY or get double the points for an EOY 81k. MF is approx. $1200/year or half that annually if EOY.

What is the annual maintenance fee on the 44k Flex EOY? I bet it is more than $600.
We were told the 2 annual fees combined total (don’t remember what each is called) is $467.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were told the 2 annual fees combined total (don’t remember what each is called) is $467.
You seem to do a great job traveling at hotels. Why the rush to timeshares? Once you get one, you might be responsible for life.

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
My notes say the VOI is $322.45 but I know there’s another fee and the 2 total $467.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You seem to do a great job traveling at hotels. Why the rush to timeshares? Once you get one, you might be responsible for life.

Grammarhero makes a good point. Timeshares are kind of like marriage. The contract binds you.

If you are doing great renting, why not stay at that approach?

I do respect those who choose timeshare and do see some folks doing great with them. They know the ins and outs.

In my case, I prefer the choice of booking wherever the deal is best. I enjoy scouring for the deal. I like the competition factor of renting. I see renting as a way where I am in the drivers seat and have the accommodations earn my business versus being beholding to them because I am bound to a contract.

I have got great deals here on TUG renting wonderful timeshares and have met great people in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ogden7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Adventuras
I guess the idea of a bigger space to take along family members that don’t have the $$$ or know-how every few years sounds appealing. The hotel redemptions have a been great, but it’s typically 2 adults with 2 teens in a standard room hoping for an upgrade based on status. I’m not willing to do that with other adult family members or once my kids are on there own. Hotel programs are also constantly being devalued, so although I am willing and able to work the system now that becomes more difficult if I am trying to book multiple rooms for additional family members. I am certainly naive about timeshares; just trying to figure out if it would be useful for vacations with my kids’ families every few years once they are on their own or to take some of our siblings and spouses that would not be able on their own.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the idea of a bigger space to take along family members that don’t have the $$$ or know-how every few years sounds appealing. The hotel redemptions have a been great, but it’s typically 2 adults with 2 teens in a standard room hoping for an upgrade based on status. I’m not willing to do that with other adult family members or once my kids are on there own. Hotel programs are also constantly being devalued, so although I am willing and able to work the system now that becomes more difficult if I am trying to book multiple rooms for additional family members. I am certainly naive about timeshares; just trying to figure out if it would be useful for vacations with my kids’ families every few years once they are on their own or to take some of our siblings and spouses that would not be able on their own.
OK. Great. You should rescind then. Then take some time to learn the different systems. Then if you are comfortable, buy a resale TS, thereby saving you $10k.

You should research and think for at least a month, preferably three months, before buying a timeshare. Not rescinding now is like getting into a marriage after knowing the person for only a week.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

I hear you when it comes to wanting condo style accommodations to best serve your family.

TUG timeshares for rent, Airbnb/VRBO, redweek.com rentals, extra holidays.com,resortime.com and others offer great condo/timeshare accommodations at good pricing if you scour.

You can sometimes book timeshare accommodations from your chosen resort. IMO, even if the costs are a bit higher than MF, that’s a small price to pay to not be locked into a contract. Many times, I have booked a timeshare resort for LESS than MF.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
OK. Great. You should rescind then. Then take some time to learn the different systems. Then if you are comfortable, buy a resale TS, thereby saving you $10k.

You should research and think for at least a month, preferably three months, before buying a timeshare. Not rescinding now is like getting into a marriage after knowing the person for only a week.

Unless you are swimming in money, grammarhero gives good information. Resale IS the way to go! 10 k savings can book A LOT of accommodations.