TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Just bought a timeshare, but now about to cancel..Need advice

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by Sackey, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms
    My husband and I just bought a timeshare at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas during week 3 every year. We were also given two extra vacation weeks each year. After reading and joining this site, we are now going to cancel and buy resale. However, I don't see any offers with the extra weeks. Will we be able to purchase the extra weeks through RCI? We bought the timeshare in hopes of traveling during school breaks at least 3 times a year. We would like to purchase another one soon. Please advise. Should I choose another one in South Florida? Please advise. Thanks!

mpumilia likes this.
  2. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

WELCOME!

You can buy the rentals/getaways with any timeshare ownership that is affilaited with RCI (and also with other exchange companies.) The sales Rep. probably presented this in glowing terms, but in reality, RCI is renting these weeks cheaply as a way to get rid of excess unwanted inventory - most of the rentals are off-season dates, in areas with more supply than demand - not high season at the top rentals.

BUT FIRST, focus on rescinding and then when that's done, come back and complete this survey, to figure out what timeshare is best for you.

INFO ON RESCINDING: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...-rescind-cancel-my-timeshare-purchase.189301/

NEWBIE SURVEY: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

mpumilia, Steve Fatula and TUGBrian like this.
  3. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Ditto on Denise's advice.

You have questions. You made a 'quick' and uninformed decision.
    You should rescind now.......and then determine what is right for your vacation plans and needs.

ANY deal that was offered to you by the salesperson can be had again next week or next month.
    BUT, you can only rescind your purchase within 10 days. This is a once-only opportunity--do not miss the opportunity to rescind now!

Make sure you follow the instructions posted above, specifically:
    • mail to address listed in contract for rescission (or cancel purchase)
    • mail via certified mail, return receipt requested
    • letter must reference contract number, must say cancel and/or rescind, must be signed by those who signed contract
    • don't fall for the sales person's attempts to 'sweeten the deal' to get you to avoid cancelling.....you need time to educate and review
    Congrats!

Come back and learn some more---after the letter is sent!

mpumilia, Steve Fatula and TUGBrian like this.
  4. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save a fortune!

mpumilia likes this.
  5. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms
    Thank you both for the quick responses! The cancelation will be mailed certified tomorrow. We just purchased it on Tuesday. I will complete the survey now. I am currently reading several threads to learn as much as I can about timeshares. When purchasing resale, approximately how long does it take to begin using it?

mpumilia and TUGBrian like this.
  6. drtyedy

drtyedy Guest

Sackey... my wife and I are in the same boat.. going through this process as well right now.. we purchased through Wyndham in Florida too.. I'm thankful it was in Florida because it sounds as some states only have 5 days.. anyways, I'd be happy to keep you posted on how our process is going if you'd like.. any word on your end would be welcome as well..

E&K.. northern michigan

mpumilia, Sackey and TUGBrian like this.
  7. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2

It depends on the brand and specific sale...quite variable.

The important message here is simple, ready?

• Study-up and figure out what is right for you. What you can afford and what you need.
    • Don't jump on something because you're in a hurry, it's a good value or you have the urge to spend after narrowly escaping a financial disaster!
    • Consider renting a property--a brand you might like at a location you might purchase/use--for this year or next and 'test out the waters....' Many good values can be rented on TUG or other trusted sites (Redweek etc...) for just a little more than annual maintenance fees...not always.

In summary, take your time, buy once and buy smart!

Cheers.

TUGBrian and mpumilia like this.
  8. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms

That would be great to keep each other posted! I only went for the discounted tickets but forgot to give my husband the same memo. ‍♀️ He talked the price down greatly and wanted it so I gave in. I was so happy when I read the documents in further detail on our trip home and saw that we had 10 days to cancel.

TUGBrian likes this.
  9. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms

Thank you for the great bulleted notes! We will definitely look into the rentals. I have been reading timeshare information all day since yesterday.

TUGBrian likes this.
  10. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'd recommend renting in different systems a few times before jumping in to purchase and be saddled with something difficult to get rid of and with fees that come due with maddening regularity and always go up. You'll also be a far better informed buyer. The bonus is that with rentals, there is no waiting period to use it.

Jim

11. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms
    Thank you! We will definitely look into rentals.

TUGBrian likes this.
  12. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    After you rescind, they may call you. Whatever you do, don't talk to them. Hang up if you have to. They're going to try as hard as they can to talk to you rescinding your rescinding.

TUGBrian and Sackey like this.
  13. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms
    Hello everyone! We received a notice of our cancelation a few days ago and our deposit back today. We have also acquired a free Wyndham points timeshare that we are very excited about. Thank you for your help and advice!

artringwald, TUGBrian and mpumilia like this.
  14. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

Congrats!!

Sackey and TUGBrian like this.
  15. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Wow. Congrats on your rescission and finding TUG!

Hmm. Sounds like you jumped on a Wyndham contract.

Well, get busy on TUG and figure out how best to use your new vacation 'memory maker.'
    Life is a journey: it's not the destination, it's the memories you make along the way that count.

TUGBrian likes this.
  16. Sackey

Sackey TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cypress Palms
    Thanks. I have been on TUG every day since I found this site as well as many other sites and have joined groups. After all the research, we knew points was the best option for us. We are also renting a unit this summer. Thanks again.

TUGBrian and slip like this.