• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just a matter of time until I expected something like this would happen

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It is very sad. We live about an hour away from Tijuana. It's been going on for years! As in as long as I have lived here - since 1979.

I couldn't find the article I was looking for - a few years ago an expat (I think American) was killed in either Rosarito or Ensenada during a burglary.

We had friends who were going to a wedding in Mexico to an area where the bride and groom went camping at a remote beach all the time. A week before the wedding, they were held up at gunpoint while camping, and their car, phones, and wallets were stolen (and their shoes if I recall correctly). The wedding was hastily moved to San Diego.

My husband had to work in Reynoso, Mexico for a special assignment. In a single week he couldn't go in one day at all (they were staying in Texas) because of a shooting, and witnessed another shooting while driving back to the border crossing. He drove himself in every day...it was definitely scary.

Mexico has a crime problem. It was well documented and well known unless you live under a rock or are just oblivious. The crime is not where the timeshares are located for the most part (Acapulco comes to mind as an exception).

Here we go again...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It is very sad. We live about an hour away from Tijuana. It's been going on for years! As in as long as I have lived here - since 1979.

I couldn't find the article I was looking for - a few years ago an expat (I think American) was killed in either Rosarito or Ensenada during a burglary.

We had friends who were going to a wedding in Mexico to an area where the bride and groom went camping at a remote beach all the time. A week before the wedding, they were held up at gunpoint while camping, and their car, phones, and wallets were stolen (and their shoes if I recall correctly). The wedding was hastily moved to San Diego.

My husband had to work in Reynoso, Mexico for a special assignment. In a single week he couldn't go in one day at all (they were staying in Texas) because of a shooting, and witnessed another shooting while driving back to the border crossing. He drove himself in every day...it was definitely scary.

Mexico has a crime problem. It was well documented and well known unless you live under a rock or are just oblivious. The crime is not where the timeshares are located for the most part (Acapulco comes to mind as an exception).

Here we go again...

Yes, here we go again. It bothers me that people say Mexico is safe only because Americans and tourists are not usually victims. That is very selfish and self centered, IMO. Many foreigners are victims of crime in Mexico and it is getting worse and worse. I knew we would hear of a murder of Americans soon. I am so sad this happened. The couple and their dog did not deserve this to happen to them.

As an FYI, I was telling my husband this morning that Mexico is not that dangerous and we should go back because it is cheap and close to California. Then I read this story and we both said, hmmm, let's rethink that.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, here we go again. It bothers me that people say Mexico is safe only because Americans and tourists are not usually victims. That is very selfish and self centered, IMO. Many foreigners are victims of crime in Mexico and it is getting worse and worse. I knew we would here of a murder of Americans soon. I am so sad this happened. The couple and their dog did not deserve this to happen to them.

As an FYI, I was telling my husband this morning that Mexico is not that dangerous and we should go back because it is cheap and close to California. Then I read this story and we both said, hmmm, let's rethink that.
Do some more searching and you will find a lot of stories over the years. There is a reason that we don't go into TJ, although a lot of people do. I am just not one of them. Remember, my mother's cousin died in Baja in the 1970's. (see the other thread). Stay out of the areas that you shouldn't be in in the first place. Honestly. The police are corrupt and can't protect you in those places.

I think that there should be a distinction between the entire country of Mexico being safe vs the tourist areas being safe. And if you want complete certainty, don't go to the tourist areas either. If you stay away from there you are 100% safe from any crime there.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more thing from the article"
The incident has shocked the community of about 1,000 people, of whom at least 100 are U.S. citizens. “We have no memory of having a shooting here,” said Tom Mitchell, a San Diego resident who has had a home in Bahía de los Angeles for four decades. “This has taken it to a level that no one here has experienced.”

Said López: “This is the first time we’ve had something like this happen.”

I am actually surprised to see this. I would have thought it was much less safe.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are noticing less support in the past couple of years for Americans when we travel internationally now. It does not surprise me that the poor locals in Mexico will target the Americans, who they view as rich and elitist, especially nowadays.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are noticing less support in the past couple of years for Americans when we travel internationally now. It does not surprise me that the poor locals in Mexico will target the Americans, who they view as rich and elitist, especially nowadays.
The couple in the article was targeted for their boat.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa

I assume the intent of this post is to shock Americans into our senses that Mexico is too dangerous for travel. Let's review: A couple (who happened to be American) were murdered in a robbery on their home in Baja California. Incidents like this happen all over the USA every day and they are just that: incidences that happen in today's world. Why is any incident in Mexico a shocking / damning event for Mexico - and it is just something of no real cultural meaning in the US - just something that happens.

To be sure, Mexico has its share of murders and more than its share of drug violence, but it is obvious to me there is indeed a double standard in play that personally I find quite appalling.

Mike

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The article says:
“In interviews, police said most of the killings in Pico-Union are linked to Latino gangs, primarily with roots in El Salvador. Many of the killings are drive-bys or walk-up shootings, and at times, the killers target the family members of rivals, stoking fear across the community, police said. This means witnesses are reluctant to cooperate and cases go unsolved.”

The gangs in California are primarily immigrants and children of immigrants from Mexico and Central American nations.

The point seems to be to not flaunt money or wealth anywhere - in the USA or abroad, because that makes you a target. Even winning $5000 and people knowing about it is a risk, as the article points out.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume the intent of this post is to shock Americans into our senses that Mexico is too dangerous for travel. Let's review: A couple (who happened to be American) were murdered in a robbery on their home in Baja California. Incidents like this happen all over the USA every day and they are just that: incidences that happen in today's world. Why is any incident in Mexico a shocking / damning event for Mexico - and it is just something of no real cultural meaning in the US - just something that happens.

To be sure, Mexico has its share of murders and more than its share of drug violence, but it is obvious to me there is indeed a double standard in play that personally I find quite appalling.

Mike

Violent crime is bad everywhere. Crime in the USA is very bad due to income inequality and the influx of poor immigrants who can’t find work and are part of gangs.

The point of this post is that some Tuggers say that Americans and tourists are NOT targeted. This is not true. This is one incident but there are many where tourists are targeted.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Tuggers who own TSs in Mexico seem to be very defensive. I do not care if Tuggers post stories about crime in America or elsewhere. I like to know and I am grateful Tuggers make me aware.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Mike

BTW, the shock factor of violent murder in Mexico is done. I am no longer shocked by the horrific murders and crimes I read about in Mexico. I just hope and pray when I travel in Mexico or anywhere, that I will not be a victim. I would rather die a slow death from cancer than be a crime victim.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
BTW, the shock factor of violent murder in Mexico is done. I am no longer shocked by the horrific murders and crimes I read about in Mexico. I just hope and pray when I travel in Mexico or anywhere, that I will not be a victim. I would rather die a slow death from cancer than be a crime victim.

OK, whatever!!!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would rather die a slow death from cancer than be a crime victim.

I certainly don't want to be a victim of crime, but as the spouse of someone dealing with cancer, I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy. I am not usually sensitive, but this comment made me cringe.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on timeshare travel in Mexico. I wish you much joy on your travel adventures around the world, wherever they may be.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was an either/or choice. But if we are choosing, make mine expiring in my sleep after a life well lived and a good meal shared with loved ones.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Interesting article. Several years ago my wife's first cousin's sister in law was murdered near Puerto Vallarta. The first cousin and wife are ex-pats. The woman who was stabbed to death was dating a guy and when she broke it off she was stabbed.

You might be right about receiving alot of objections of your many posts of safety in Mexico from those that frequent Mexico. Your negative posts are posted in what I think is the "Mexico Vacation Fan Club". Most of us that do go to Mexico know that we are less likely to have problems in Mexico than in the USA. If I posted how many people were murdered this year in my county it would be a long list.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of us that do go to Mexico know that we are less likely to have problems in Mexico than in the USA. If I posted how many people were murdered this year in my county it would be a long list.
Heck, if I posted the list of Mexican part-time residents of my county who have been murdered, it would be far more lengthy than the above quoted article from Ensenada.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I think Tuggers who own TSs in Mexico seem to be very defensive. I do not care if Tuggers post stories about crime in America or elsewhere. I like to know and I am grateful Tuggers make me aware.

Actually, we are quite realistic when it comes to Mexico safety - but I do object to non-sensical posts that add nothing to the knowledge and I suspect are fundamentally trolling. Just a bit aggravating at least to me.

Mike

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
I'm sorry, but didn't we just have a five page thread with 95% of this same discussion in May??
Are we adding any more value to the discussion with this thread?
Aren't we already back to beating the dead horse?
I've abstained from these recent discussions because I've learned they are fruitless. That's my choice, you all do as you wish...but...
at least include something about crime in the subject line so I can skip it next time.
I promise I won't engage in the discussion if you do that.

Safe travels.

bbb

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I'm sorry, but didn't we just have a five page thread with 95% of this same discussion in May??
Are we adding any more value to the discussion with this thread?
Aren't we already back to beating the dead horse?
I've abstained from these recent discussions because I've learned they are fruitless. That's my choice, you all do as you wish...but...
at least include something about crime in the subject line so I can skip it next time.
I promise I won't engage in the discussion if you do that.

Safe travels.

bbb

I totally agree. Awhile back, based on a lot of this same type posting, the moderators created a sticky for people to post safety / crime related issues. I would suggest that all such posts just automatically be moved into that section as soon as noticed; we can choose to read or not - but not be in the mainstream of discussions that the Mexico forum posters are interested in.

For this one, I would suggest deletion.

Mike

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The article says:
“In interviews, police said most of the killings in Pico-Union are linked to Latino gangs, primarily with roots in El Salvador. Many of the killings are drive-bys or walk-up shootings, and at times, the killers target the family members of rivals, stoking fear across the community, police said. This means witnesses are reluctant to cooperate and cases go unsolved.”

The gangs in California are primarily immigrants and children of immigrants from Mexico and Central American nations.

The point seems to be to not flaunt money or wealth anywhere - in the USA or abroad, because that makes you a target. Even winning $5000 and people knowing about it is a risk, as the article points out.

The point of my posting was that there's an awful lot of information that one can read anywhere in the media on crime, murder, etc. It doesn't make it entirely on topic for the Mexico Timesharing forum, though. While my thoughts and prayers go out for the victims in the article originally posted, and I do mean that, I don't honestly believe that there was anything in that article that would make it pertinent to the Mexico Timesharing forum. The victims were murdered in the home they lived in, not a timeshare unit. They were not tourists, either. I have no idea whether there are even timeshare resorts in the vicinity of Bahia de los Angeles; if there were some connection to existing timeshares in the article or the postings elaborating on it there might have been some value added to the topic of the forum. If not, I agree with Mike's post, quoted below, that this thread be moved to the sticky for posting safety / crime related issues or deleted. I mean no offense by this, but that sticky or the TUG Lounge strike me as being more apt places for discussions that don't relate to the other fora; I follow this one because I am interested in the topical posts. Like Beach Bar Bob, I try to skip the new threads on the subject of crime, but this one was titled "Just a matter of time until I expected something like this would happen" instead of indicating the subject matter. Seems like click bait.

I totally agree. Awhile back, based on a lot of this same type posting, the moderators created a sticky for people to post safety / crime related issues. I would suggest that all such posts just automatically be moved into that section as soon as noticed; we can choose to read or not - but not be in the mainstream of discussions that the Mexico forum posters are interested in.

For this one, I would suggest deletion.

Mike

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Like Beach Bar Bob, I try to skip the new threads on the subject of crime, but this one was titled "Just a matter of time until I expected something like this would happen" instead of indicating the subject matter. Seems like click bait.

That's funny. like you and BBB, I try to avoid all the silly "sky is falling" Mexico safety posts but the title sucked me in. I assumed that it was about something new that Vidanta Sales was up to; now that could be scary,

Mike

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’ve only been to Mexico on a cruise stop in Cancun. Is it safe to stay at the all inclusive resorts where you don’t have to leave the property? I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t know much about Mexico timeshares.
Silentg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve only been to Mexico on a cruise stop in Cancun. Is it safe to stay at the all inclusive resorts where you don’t have to leave the property? I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t know much about Mexico timeshares.
Silentg
As long as you stay at the hotel zone, which is several miles long, in places like Cancun, you will be safe.

Safer than almost any city in the US.