• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

July rental car [Portland]

exco

Reaction score
I Just made a car reservation picking up at the Portlnad internation airport (PDX). The best price I could find was $555 per week. Is that a good rate for a July week rental? Would anyone have any suggestions on how to get a lower rate?

Thank you in advance!

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
That will be expensive but you can lop off at least $150 for the week if you pick the car up downtown and drop it at the airport. You can quote it like that on Costco's website. You just have to take a train or Uber downtown to pick up your car.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
After you make your car reservation enter it into AutoSlash. They will monitor rates for you and if a cheaper rate comes up (with any rental company) they will send you an email.

exco

Reaction score
That will be expensive but you can lop off at least $150 for the week if you pick the car up downtown and drop it at the airport. You can quote it like that on Costco's website. You just have to take a train or Uber downtown to pick up your car.

You are right! If I pick up the car downtown (e.g. at the union station), the total rental car cost is around $400 per week. However, all rental car offices are about 0.5 mile from the train station. Are there rental car buses at the union station as at the airport to pick up customers?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
There is public transport from the station to the vicinity of the downtown offices, but if you have luggage Uber or a taxi is a better bet. And some agencies like Enterprise will pick you up.

I have had three experiences with autoslash in the last week or two where a high rate came WAY down in the day or two before pickup. My one-way from LAX to Murrieta started at $68, then $38, now $21 -- which is $9 rate and $12 taxes.

Our rental last week -- May 29 to June 6 -- at a neighborhood Enterprise in Portland was $140. I can't imagine that those rates you mentioned will actually hold up.

timesharer

Reaction score
Our rental last week -- May 29 to June 6 -- at a neighborhood Enterprise in Portland was $140. I can't imagine that those rates you mentioned will actually hold up.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with autoslash.

At which Enterprise location in Portland did you rent a car for $140?

We typically make a reservation directly from the rental car company. We had a bad incident with "Advantage Rent A Car" at Salt Lake city before.
The agent claimed they had no cars available the size we booked. We either had to pay > $200 extra to get a bigger size car, or we had to wait several hours for the size of car to be returned and cleaned. It seems Autoslash gets quotes from Priceline. Do we call Priceline if the rental car lot is overbooked and no car will be available? Have you ever had problems at the rental car office when the reservation was made from Priceline?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

We typically make a reservation directly from the rental car company. We had a bad incident with with "Advantage Rent A Car" at Salt Lake city before.
The agent claimed they had no cars available the size we booked. We either had to pay > $200 extra to get a bigger size car, or we had to wait several hours for the size of car to be returned and cleaned. It seems Autoslash gets quotes from Priceline. Do we call Priceline if the rental car lot is overbooked and no car will be available? Have you ever had problems at the rental car office when the reservation was made from Priceline?

We have gotten cars with Priceline (through AutoSlash) for our last few rentals. Absolutely NO problems.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

We typically make a reservation directly from the rental car company. We had a bad incident with "Advantage Rent A Car" at Salt Lake city before.

It was the location on SW Barbur Blvd, but at the time we booked the rates were similar at other suburban locations. This franchisee also owns the one in Tigard.

If your reservation time has come (e.g. if you reserved for 10am and it's now past that) and they don't have the car you reserved, they're supposed to give you a different one that's acceptable at the same rate. Often, of course, they'll try to "upgrade" you first for a fee. The problem at smaller sites is that even though you see an acceptable car on the lot, it may be reserved by someone else for later today or tomorrow -- and if that booking is for several days, they're not going to risk THAT sale for your shorter one.

I would complain the the rental agency's HQ first (you should have already signed up for their frequent renter club of course) and Priceline next. Pricelin might actually be able to get you a better deal somewhere else, although I've never tried that.

exco

Reaction score
I have had three experiences with autoslash in the last week or two where a high rate came WAY down in the day or two before pickup.

Thank you for you suggestions regarding using AutoSlash. I just got an offer from AutoSlash.
However, "This special discounted rate requires payment at the time of booking and includes all taxes and mandatory fees. Reservations can be canceled up to 48 hours before pickup "

Since you mentioned "I have had three experiences with autoslash in the last week or two where a high rate came WAY down in the day or two before pickup."

Should I book this pre-paid offer, or wait for better rate in the day or two before pickup?

Would you know if there are any disadvantages to booking a pre-paid rental car reservation?

Thank you for your help.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've booked prepaid through Priceline, with the name your own price option, in the past. Since you cannot cancel these I have only done it a few days before travel. These days I probably wouldn't book a prepaid as we're older and who knows what might happen.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted say Thanks to the OP for the posting. You reminded me check my rental car for my upcoming vacation. The standard SUV 7-day rental through Costco went down from $368 to $273.

Woo Hoo!

Joe

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I never prepay car rentals, partly because I may have three booking going on with autoslash, I'm traveling, and am likely to forget to cancel the ones I don't want.