• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jeopardy! (The James Holzhauer Show)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for this, nothing nefarious, she beat him

It was apparent he knew the only way to win was if she got the Final Jeopardy answer wrong. It made sense.

I think another thing that hurt him was the first Double Jeopardy clue was the first clue James picked in the game. So all he got was $1000. Emma got both in the DJ round. In the entire game, only one clue was missed. Every other answer was right. So at the end of it all, she just beat him. No harm, no foul.

Thanks, James, for a good run. It was fun. Now I want to see James and Ken compete head to head in a Tournament of Champions.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Did anyone notice he missed the questions about Smugglers Notch?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Love this ... from an article in The Guardian,

Emma Boettcher had never even heard of Jeopardy phenomenon James Holzhauer before she beat him on Monday night’s episode of the celebrated US quiz show, defeating him before he could break the $2.52m record for the most money won on the show.

Owing to the taping schedule of the program, none of the episodes of Holzhauer’s near historic and widely followed streak had aired when the University of Chicago librarian faced off against him in March, so his 32-day run and $2.46m in winnings were news to her.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love this ... from an article in The Guardian,

Emma Boettcher had never even heard of Jeopardy phenomenon James Holzhauer before she beat him on Monday night’s episode of the celebrated US quiz show, defeating him before he could break the $2.52m record for the most money won on the show.

Owing to the taping schedule of the program, none of the episodes of Holzhauer’s near historic and widely followed streak had aired when the University of Chicago librarian faced off against him in March, so his 32-day run and $2.46m in winnings were news to her.

WOW---that is interesting to me.

I say that because I thought some of the contestants (a male from about two weeks ago), started wagering HIGH amounts on Daily Doubles. I though HE did that, having seen how James plays, and I thought SHE did the same last night because of seeing James' strategic bidding.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Watching Emma, it is like deja Vu all over again.
Same intense look, wagered everything on the daily double, starting from the bottom,
Here we go again.........

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Watching Emma, it is like deja Vu all over again.
Same intense look, wagered everything on the daily double, starting from the bottom,
Here we go again.........

But then 0 in final and did not get the answer right. She can try her best but I doubt she wil last.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
But then 0 in final and did not get the answer right. She can try her best but I doubt she wil last.
Agreed. She may have just gotten favorable categories on Monday's show, but while she had an unassailable total by game's end today, had the center contestant correctly answered the second Daily Double in Double Jeopardy, young Emma would be headed home.

I predict a short reign. She wagers well, but doesn't have the smarts to dominate.

Jim

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
WOW---that is interesting to me.

I say that because I thought some of the contestants (a male from about two weeks ago), started wagering HIGH amounts on Daily Doubles. I though HE did that, having seen how James plays, and I thought SHE did the same last night because of seeing James' strategic bidding.

IIRC, he said that they taped 5 shows a day and he was able to watch a couple being taped before he was picked as a contestant. I assume she was picked for the first taping so was unable to see James' strategy. Based on her wagering on her first DD, I am surprised at that statement as well as her low wager on her 2nd DD.

I really enjoyed watching James' reign and am sorry he lost prior to beating Jennings' winning total.

Ingrid

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
..I assume she was picked for the first taping so was unable to see James' strategy....

Ingrid
Based on an article published in the NY Times (written way back, but they agreed not to publish it until the show was aired on TV), you are correct. Emma had hoped for one of the shows taped later in the day, but her name was called for the first taping.

The article mentions that as soon as she won, she started preparing for later appearances. It also mentions that Holtzhauer later emailed her offering his congratulations and giving her tips on how to win. I take this as suggesting that she survived the shows that were taped immediately afterwords.

A Princeton graduate, U of North Carolina graduate student who wrote a thesis on the show, and someone who apparently has been practicing in front of a TV pretending she was on the show since she was a teenage, ... not someone I would want to face as a contestant on the show.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless how many games she wins, she will always be a giant killer. I for one and perhaps the only one, was glad to see Holtzhauer defeated. :thumbup:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, here's my NSH Opinion. James is too smart to have made that mistake accidentally. It was totally unlike any play he has bade to date. I think he 'threw' the game on purpose because he knows his skill is unassailable, and doesn't want to be forever branded as the 'Giant Killer who defeated ken Jennings, for whom he has some affinity. He can go back to his 'regular' life- if being a professional gambler can be called 'regular.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Jim

So what really happened? In his own words, Holzhauer explained on "SportsCenter": "I didn't beat myself. I just played my best and got outplayed."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...s-favorite-conspiracy-theory-loss/1350351001/

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what really happened? In his own words, Holzhauer explained on "SportsCenter": "I didn't beat myself. I just played my best and got outplayed."
So what else would you expect him to say? Of course he's going to say he played his best. The problem I see with that is that in 33 appearances, he had never made such small DD wagers as evidenced by him going into Final Jeopardy in second place to another player- Emma.

I think it's time to put this thread to rest. It's simply no longer the 'James Holzhauer show'.

Jim

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
DW said something about his low final wager, so I reviewed it.

The winner bet enough so that if James bet everything and got the right answer, she would win by $1, and James bet the amount that if she got the wrong answer and bet nothing he would win if he got the right answer.

So, again, it was the proper wager.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
DW said something about his low final wager, so I reviewed it.

The winner bet enough so that if James bet everything and got the right answer, she would win by $1, and James bet the amount that if she got the wrong answer and bet nothing he would win if he got the right answer.

So, again, it was the proper wager.
Slight correction - he had to bet enough to be more than the third persons max bet if the third person had the correct answer also, which he did. James bet enough to ensure a second place finish or a win if Emma had a wrong answer.

Richard

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Slight correction - he had to bet enough to be more than the third persons max bet if the third person had the correct answer also, which he did. James bet enough to ensure a second place finish or a win if Emma had a wrong answer.

Richard

Yeah that.

Still, a proper bet.

:D

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah that.

Still, a proper bet.

:D

I agree, an ABSOLUTELY PROPER BET! Heck, even I know that, and with HIS background,
why would anyone question his bet???

Was it a 'conservative' bet---unlike all of his AGGRESSIVE previous bets---yes it was.

BUT---he was BEHIND this time-----duh----that's THE DIFFERENCE.

The three things that got him, were (IMHO) shows

1) The other two contestants were able to 'buzz in' with more regularity than the previous
contestants that James encountered

2) His FIRST choice of category hit the Daily Double---so he could only wager $1000 max.

3) Emma got BOTH DD in Double Jeopardy---and wagered quite largely on the first one (more conservative on the second one).

No sour grapes, but had James gotten either of the DD in second round, I am quite certain he would have won again.

I miss him being on Jeopardy.............

BUT---he (IMHO) simply got beaten by Emma, with the way it went---he did NOT make any major mistake(s).

Pat

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Missed jeopardy today, did Emma win again?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And now she is gone

Really? So "flash in the pan" strikes again? A similar thing happened with the person who beat Ken Jennings.

Dave