• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jeopardy! (The James Holzhauer Show)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Former "Jeopardy!" champion Tom Nichols says James Holzhauer's mastery of controlling the buzzer is making the game unfair for his competitors and unenjoyable to watch for viewers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/weather/is-james-holzhauer-ruining-jeopardy-for-everyone/vi-AAATPFu

This should draw more than a few comments but, someone has to be the first and perhaps only one. I agree with Mr. Nichols.

I've taken a hiatus from watching the "James" show, formerly known as Jeopardy. At the very least, Ken Jennings always appeared humble. I also enjoyed watching Austin Rogers, Julia Collins, Roger Craig and even Buzzy Cohen. Well not so much Buzzy, but I could at least tolerate him.

For me, James Holzhauer is the definition of smug, contemptuous and immodesty.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Former "Jeopardy!" champion Tom Nichols says James Holzhauer's mastery of controlling the buzzer is making the game unfair for his competitors and unenjoyable to watch for viewers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/weather/is-james-holzhauer-ruining-jeopardy-for-everyone/vi-AAATPFu

This should draw more than a few comments but, someone has to be the first and perhaps only one. I agree with Mr. Nichols.

I've taken a hiatus from watching the "James" show, formerly known as Jeopardy. At the very least, Ken Jennings always appeared humble. I also enjoyed watching Austin Rogers, Julia Collins, Roger Craig and even Buzzy Cohen. Well not so much Buzzy, but I could at least tolerate him.

For me, James Holzhauer is the definition of smug, contemptuous and immodesty.

I agree he appears smug and so forth. I interpret a lot of it as personal amazement. But when you turn it around - this is a guy who grew up watching Jeopardy, and like all of us, probably thought, "I could do so much better on that show!" He went through the application process to get himself on the show, and no doubt, did the massive amount of homework to master such a wealth of trivial information. If the trick to his success is because he's quickest on the buzzer, in order to beat opponents to be first to answer the question, that doesn't seem such a bad thing to me. The other contestants would be just as happy to beat him if they happened to be faster on the buzzer. But in the times others get there first and get the answer wrong, James usually comes through with the right answer. You have to give him that. So there are layers to being successful at what he's doing.

At the end of the day, Jeopardy is a game of speed, wit, moxie, and brain power. James has all four of those. Is he a bit smug about it? Sure, but wouldn't you be a little smug, too, if you'd done so well, after everything it took to get there? (Ken Jennings got a little cocky, too, despite being a more humble guy - and Alex doesn't help by trying to make them feel they're something extraordinary.) James is also a professional gambler, where "smug" kind of goes with the territory. So I'd give him his time in the sun - his end will come, and when it does, imagine how incredible it will be when somebody beats him. THAT person is the one who will be thinking, "Who's smiling now?" :)

Note that I'm not defending James. Just considering the source. He's a remarkable player, and buzzer-speed notwithstanding, he's a helluva lot smarter at useless information than I am. LOL! ;)

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It amuses me how people think they know a person based on their TV appearances.
(aka as the Cosby syndrome...)

Looks smug, therefore smug...
LOL

Based on what I have read, what James has said, and what Alex has stated - that is a poor assumption.

Don’t like James - then don’t watch.
But, don’t make assumptions based on gut feelings. He has solved Jeopardy based on being Game Theory Optimal. The buzzer timing has always been the case. Jennings was also great on buzzer timing. But, you also have to have the diverse knowledge - which he has.

We no longer watch Wheel of Fortune because of things Pat Sajek has actually said in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will continue to watch; I am enjoying the ride.

I do NOT read him as 'smug'-----I think his body language is just a bit less 'comfortable' than some other folks.

The people who don't like the way the plays/ WINS----seems like sour grapes to me.

I posted earlier about the buzzer is a significant part---but, beyond that---- this guy is GOOD!!!!
He wagers more AGGRESSIVELY than anyone before him ever has---but he still has to get the answers CORRECT---and he DOES!!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
...snip

I do NOT read him as 'smug'-----I think his body language is just a bit less 'comfortable' than some other folks. ...snip

I agree. He seems just a wee bit socially awkward to me. Perhaps not comfortable in certain situations.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I agree. He seems just a wee bit socially awkward to me. Perhaps not comfortable in certain situations.

I think maybe it's the forced smile he often has. That "Look into the camera and smile, James" kind of thing. His genuine, unguarded smile is much more sincere-looking.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that the girl who won the teen tournament was subject to a lot of harassment. Hard enough to concentrate and ring in,without strangers and schoolmates bashing you for perceived personality flaws.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find it a bit boring without James?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Does anyone find it a bit boring without James?

Yes! I've been half-watching the Teachers Tournament this past week, and I'm like, "Meh." One guy did a big Daily Double wager that doubled his total, giving him $20K, with the other two only a few thousand, and I found myself think it was a WWJD move - "What Would James Do?" LOL! :)

Like him or not, James has changed the way I'll view Jeopardy from now on. :)

Dave

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clearly in the minority here however for me, his "run" has made the show boring.

Holzhauer, at least in my eyes, is simply overly pretentious with his "push of the chips" move among others. If someone enjoys that sort of pompous demeanor, voila, you've found your guy. :thumbup:

It seems that every episode has become no challenge and we find that the other contestants are basically never competitive and that makes the show uninteresting. Is it interesting when, time after time after time, Final Jeopardy rolls around and Holzhauer has won so much money that the game is clearly not winnable for any opponent?

With the teachers tournament the show has returned to it's once compelling platform. When Holzhauer returns it's back to more interesting programming.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Clearly in the minority here however for me, his "run" has made the show boring.

Holzhauer, at least in my eyes, is simply overly pretentious with his "push of the chips" move among others. If someone enjoys that sort of pompous demeanor, voila, you've found your guy. :thumbup:

It seems that every episode has become no challenge and we find that the other contestants are basically never competitive and that makes the show uninteresting. Is it interesting when, time after time after time, Final Jeopardy rolls around and Holzhauer has won so much money that the game is clearly not winnable for any opponent?

With the teachers tournament the show has returned to it's once compelling platform. When Holzhauer returns it's back to more interesting programming.

He hasn't done the "pushing of the chips" move in awhile now. I'm sure even he realizes what was clever at first is kind of pretentious. :)

I agree about Final Jeopardy being kind of a lost cause, but while he's on the show, my perspective will be "How much will he win by today?" And as in many things where there is a monstrous victory, his crash will be awesome. I'm looking forward to the day when somebody beats him. He's won a lot of money (good for him - he's earned it, in my view), but when his time comes, it'll be a great show.

Take note: I'm a fan, but not a fanatic. :D

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Alex Trebek Says 'We Will Beat Cancer' After
Admitting He Experiences 'Deep Sadness' Amid
Diagnosis

https://people.com/health/jeopardy-alex-trebek-we-will-beat-cancer/

Richard
Here's a look back at Alex Trebeck's broadcast career:
Article: How Alex Trebek’s Decades-Long Career Hosting 'Jeopardy!' Racked Up an Insanely High Net Worth.

https://www.prevention.com/life/a27421200/alex-trebek-net-worth/

Richard

Alex Trebek Says 'We Will Beat Cancer' After
Admitting He Experiences 'Deep Sadness' Amid
Diagnosis.

https://people.com/health/jeopardy-alex-trebek-we-will-beat-cancer/

Richard

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope Alex can stare this beast down and win this fight. It was once said that you never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.

Stay strong.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed they meet up on Jeopardy once or a few times.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anybody here betting against James hitting the two million mark? And driving "Jeopardy" into bankruptcy? Honestly, if I were the producers I'd be throwing him hardball categories. Example...he didn't do well with "Ballet" and he does great with all those Sports categories...so...drop all Sports categories for the time being and include these:

"Ballet Pre- 20th Century"

"Turn of the Century Modern Dance"

"Tap Dance Through the Ages"

"Latin Jazz Dance 101"

(you get the picture...throw him some dance challenges!) :banana:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of those who does not watch Jeopardy on a regular basis, but I am recording it now. Sometimes I find the guy annoying, and almost rude as he rushes the host. On the other hand, Alex seems to like the guy, and he may be providing amusement in his health crisis.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent