• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Japan Timeshare Recommendations?

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers, any recommendations or prior experiences with timeshares in Japan? I did a quick search in this forum (and the International Timesharing forum), but did not find anything recent. We own HGV and were planning to use our points to stay at the new HGV resort in Odawara. But it's showing near-zero availability through August 2019. Another option, I suppose, would be to convert our HGV points to Hilton Honors points and stay at Hilton hotels in Japan instead. But, as you know, that's not the best use of the former. Any thoughts?

I'm planning to post in the International forum as well, if I don't get any responses in this forum.

Thanks in advance.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
here is the list from the website, lots of places, it seems like silly points to stay there.

https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/japan

You may want to ignore timeshares (yes heresy) and book cheap local hotels. Which are an experience in themselves. Are you looking for touristy things or off the beaten track things ? Imperial palace is beautiful and worth seeing, as well as snow monkeys in the field. But not from a single hotel stay.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
PDXGolfer,

Hotel can be a better choice, but where do you want to go in Japan? Or what do you want to do or see?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in Japan for several years and we vacationed there Summer 2017. All of the HGVC that I looked up were in locations that Japanese people wanted to visit (rural, countryside, quiet) places. Not the bustling urban places that foreigners want to visit. We ended up staying at Airbnb but we did splurge 1 night at an awesome ryokan. We would have forked over the money for a second night if our schedule had allowed for it.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just took a Japan trip in May 2018 and used points I had from my credit card. But, the hotel we stayed in worked out so well that I would recommend exchanging HGVC points to honor points and doing that. One thing I learned is the hotel point cost can change a lot from day to day and it is best to book rooms far in advance and keep checking for better deals. The real savings is to book four nights on points and get the fifth night free. We stayed at a really nice Hilton hotel in Nagoya for five nights that cost 190,000 points and also got royal treatment as a gold member from my credit card. A week prior to our stay, I saw where the rates on the weekend were 90,000 points per night. When we book months earlier, they were 50,000 on weekends and 45,000 on weekdays. I also saw the price change at the Hilton next to Disneyland from 30,000 to 70,000 points per night. So timing is everything.

We stayed in Nagoya and bought a one week pass on the rail. We traveled from Hiroshima to Narita. Every day was a trip to another city and we came back to Nagoya at night. It was an excellent adventure. The only problem was the hotel was a 15 minute walk to Nagoya station. But the hotel offered a free shuttle every morning and afternoon. I will stay there again the next time we go.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other problem for us was that were are a family of 4 and a lot of Japanese hotels can only have 2 people per room. We stayed in a total of 5 Airbnbs over the course of 3 weeks. 4 were very nice modern condos. In Kyoto we stayed in a really nice 2 story home. $800 total for 7 nights. It was in a great neighborhood and an easy walk to the station, supermarket, park, etc.

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
All, thanks for the responses. We are thinking of splitting our time - a few days in the Tokyo/urban area, a few days in a more rural area, a total of maybe 5-6 nights. Sounds like a hotel or condo may be the better way to go. Between the two, would probably be inclined toward a hotel so that I can use Hilton Honors points (converted, unfortunately, from HGV points), or even some points from other popular hotel chains (Marriott/Starwood, Hyatt), or a combination of Hilton and other. Any hotel recommendations in both the Tokyo/urban setting and a more rural setting (one where Mt. Fuji is visible)? Late July/early August 2019 is our targeted time period.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hyatt Regency Tokyo in the Shinjuku district has decent point values. Points can also be converted from chase rewards.

On a clear day you can see Mt. Fuji from the lounge and from high floors on the back side

If you don't have elite status, I recommend the upgrade to lounge access (you don't need lounge floor though) because the lounge food and view are worth it.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Hilton Tokyo Odaiba. It is away from the crowd, but close enough to see everything you want. If you are not locked into Hilton, stay at the Prince hotel in Shinagawa. It is close to the JR line and lots of places to eat and very central if you want to go see other areas of Tokyo. I lived in Japan about a year and most of my time was spent here.

Hilton Nagoya is in about an hour away from Tokyo and a good location to take a day trip to Kyoto or other areas. The Nagoya Castle is a must see if you are down that way. If you want to see temples and shrines, stay in Kyoto. But, there are no Hilton hotels in that area. Maybe consider Air BnB or other hotels.

Six days is hardly enough time in Japan. You should try and stay 8-14 days to see more.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
For five or six night stay, probably you will split 4 days in Tokyo and 2 days in another place.
And it's not a long stay. So it's better to have a short trip to the second place.
Just a few ideas.

Nikko https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html
Izu https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6310.html
Mt Fuji area https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

There are hotels, where you have a great view of Mt Fuji. It is wonderful to see the mountain
while you soak yourself in a hot bath.
https://travel.rakuten.co.jp/mytrip/ranking/hotel-mtfuji/

The linked hotel articles are written in Japanese, but you can see photos. Google Chrome will
provide you with translation.

If you should need specific information, you could PM to me.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that more time should be spent in Tokyo. But if using Hilton points, the fifth day is free after booking four nights on points. So might as well stay an extra night for free and take a day trip somewhere on the extra day if you want to get out of the city.

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of great photos and videos in those links. And I like the idea of using the free fifth night and taking a day trip somewhere, though I'll need to build up some points to cover the first four nights (paying the 2019 maintenance fees on our Hilton Amex should help in that regard). Thanks again to everyone for the very helpful feedback (as usual)!