• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

January's 'Super Blood Moon' Eclipse Will Be Visible to Millions: Where and How to Watch....

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
January's 'Super Blood Moon' Eclipse Will Be Visible to Millions: Where and How to Watch the Rare Event
By Jennifer Earl/ Fox News/ Science/ foxnews.com

"Millions of people across the world will witness a partially red-tinted night sky as a rare celestial event arrives this weekend: a "super wolf blood Moon" eclipse.

North America hasn't had a decent view of this special scene in at least three years and another total lunar eclipse — which occurs when the entire Moon enters Earth’s shadow — isn't expected to happen again until 2021, NASA predicts.

“There is a little less than one total lunar eclipse per year on average. A lunar eclipse can only happen during a full moon when the Moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun," Walter Freeman, an assistant teaching professor in the Physics Department at Syracuse University, said in an emailed statement to Fox News. "But the Moon's orbit is tilted a little bit compared to the Earth's, so usually when the Moon is full, the Earth's shadow passes a little bit above or a little bit below it. This is why we don't have a lunar eclipse every month.”....."

02_ap18031500449354.jpg

A super blood moon will be visible in late January. (The Associated Press. )

Richard

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
I'm looking forward to this event!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How to See the Last 'Blood Moon' Eclipse of the Decade
By Andrew Fazekas/ Science & Innovation/ Starstruck/ nationalgeographic.com

"Get outside and look up at the full moon this weekend to catch the last total lunar eclipse until 2021.

IN A FEW nights, sky-watchers across the Americas will have a front-row seat to a rare cosmic event, as three lunar phenomena converge to give rise to what some people are calling a super blood wolf moon.

While that may sound like a song straight out of a 1970s rock opera, it’s actually a term for a type of total lunar eclipse.

During totality, the full moon does not disappear entirely and instead turns a rusty shade of red, earning it the moniker “blood moon.” This lunar eclipse happens to coincide with the wolf moon, the traditional name for the January full moon. What's more, the moon on January 20 will be unusually close to Earth and so will be slightly bigger and brighter, making it a so-called supermoon. (Here are some of the top places to see the super blood wolf moon.)

How do all of these lunar spectacles work, and how can you catch a glimpse? We’ve got you covered....."

Richard

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We were in Hawaii about this time last year and got a picture of the super blood blue moon, about 15 minutes before the clouds rolled in.

27629256_10211024837641412_8902891771581029823_o.jpg

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Looking forward to checking it out with no work/school on Monday.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How to Watch the Lunar Eclipse and SuperMoon on Sunday Night
By Nicholas St. Fleur/ Science/ TheNew York Times/ nytimes.com

"You don’t really need to call it a “Super Blood Wolf Moon.”

Skygazers across the Western Hemisphere will be treated to celestial eye candy on Sunday night into early Monday morning as the full moon turns coppery red during a total lunar eclipse. It will be the only total lunar eclipse of the year, and that in itself should be reason enough to stay up late and marvel as the moon gets swallowed by Earth’s shadow.

You might have heard that this eclipse is also being called a “Super Blood Wolf Moon.” But as astronomers know, no number of edgy modifiers could make this display of cosmic clockwork any cooler.

Unlike a total solar eclipse, when the moon moseys between the sun and the Earth, it’s our planet that slides between the sun and the moon during a total lunar eclipse. As the Earth blocks the sun, only slivers of light make it through the planet’s atmosphere and to the moon.

“If you were standing on the surface of the moon when this event was happening, and you were staring back at the Earth, what you would see is this beautiful reddish-orangish tinted ring,” said Jackie Faherty, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History.

That ring of light is made up of every sunrise and sunset happening on Earth at that moment in time. It’s the same light that makes the moon look red to those of us on Earth during the eclipse.

Who can see the lunar eclipse?

This eclipse will be visible in the night sky across North and South America. Skywatchers in parts of Europe and Africa will see part of or the entire eclipse in their predawn skies.

People living in Asia and Australia will not see this eclipse, unfortunately.

When can I see the eclipse?

The opening act starts Sunday night at 9:36 p.m. Eastern Time as the moon first enters Earth’s outer shadow, also called the penumbra. Darkness will creep up the lower left portion of the moon, almost imperceptibly.

At about 10:34 p.m., the moon will start to enter Earth’s inner shadow, or the umbra. This marks the beginning of the partial lunar eclipse, when it will appear as if something took a bite out of the moon.

At 11:41 p.m., the moon will enter totality and turn completely red as it is devoured by Earth’s umbral shadow. It will stay this way for about one hour, and at 12:12 a.m. on Monday, it will reach the darkest part of Earth’s shadow, appearing to be at its most coppery red....."

21MOON-jumbo.jpg

A total lunar eclipse over Lucerne, Switzerland, last summer. The only total lunar eclipse of 2019 will be visible on Sunday night in North and South America.CreditCreditChristian Merz/KEYSTONE, via Associated Press

Richard

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Astrology is interesting. On the blood moon of June 14, 1946 our current President was born. Some people believe that special events are about to unfold as described by Zecharia years ago.

Soon after this new blood moon begins the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter that appears. Many people think that this conjunction of Venus and Jupiter happened in the past as the Star of Bethlehem.

Anyway, it is too cloudy for me to see either event from here.

Bill

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
It's huge, bright and beautiful out our window right now. Don't know if I'll be awake at 11:41 PM though.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are in Cancun. Good view of the full moon from our villa balcony at Lagunamar. Hope the clouds stay away. They blow through now and then but can still see the moon through them most times.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Was so bummed. In Key West the clouds were so thick only got a glimpse here and there of the initial phases. In the later phases could not see the moon at all and missed the super moon.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Was so bummed. In Key West the clouds were so thick only got a glimpse here and there of the initial phases. In the later phases could not see the moon at all and missed the super moon.
Exactly our experience. The clouds moved in mid eclipse and we missed the second half of the show. Friends only 30 min away got to see the whole thing! I was bummed that we missed the blood moon part.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exactly our experience. The clouds moved in mid eclipse and we missed the second half of the show. Friends only 30 min away got to see the whole thing! I was bummed that we missed the blood moon part.
My experience also.

Richard

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We got to see it, but it was kind of chilly.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
For those of you who didn’t get to see it, check out this awesome picture that my son in law took in very chilly NJ of the blood red super moon during the eclipse. Conditions here were perfect (except for the brutal cold) if you had the right photo gear and know how to do it.
ac45407effb93f1d666c64e39ffe1aa7.jpg

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taffy19

Reaction score
We saw it last night but the moon was very high. We went outside multiple times but it was chilly here and very windy too. I have seen it better before.

It went down to 44 degrees so colder than usual.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We saw it last night but the moon was very high. We went outside multiple times but it was chilly here and very windy too. I have seen it better before.

It went down to 44 degrees so colder than usual.

Taffy, all the way down to 44 degrees? It was 10 degrees here with a wind chill of about -10 degrees! Very challenging to set up a camera with the right settings in that type of cold!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
For those of you who didn’t get to see it, check out this awesome picture that my son in law took in very chilly NJ of the blood red super moon during the eclipse. Conditions here were perfect (except for the brutal cold) if you had the right photo gear and know how to do it.
ac45407effb93f1d666c64e39ffe1aa7.jpg

Brian

That is awesome!
It was luckily clear skies for us in the Seattle area. No clouds in winter is fairly unusual.
We saw the reddish moon, but not to that clarity.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Brian. I knew I could count on someone to get a photo. It was too cold here, plus I was in bed.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was posted on a local FB page. Kudos to him. The wind chills where -15 last night!

Attachments

• 676C86C0-93C2-4F26-A685-ADF87906EA55.jpeg
    676C86C0-93C2-4F26-A685-ADF87906EA55.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: jme

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Although we had some cloud cover in Los Angeles, we could clearly see the eclipse from our dining room window. One of my great memories is the first time I became aware of the term "super moon". It was winter and already dark driving home near to 6pm. Came around a curve and suddenly there was the moon off to my left, huge and seemingly hugging the low hills. Made me say "Wow!" out loud. Then I had to concentrate on driving the extremely curvy stretch of road while still trying to watch the moon. Tried to show it to Cliff the next night and of course the timing and positioning were not to be repeated.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thicker clouds moved in to Cancun, but there were short breaks where you could get a 15 second peek or so. It was almost directly overhead, so not real easy to see but it was still cool while it lasted.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bummer, we where wondering if you could see it there clearly, so i guess our front door view from my cabin on Higgins lake totally clear but 4 below Zero wasn't so bad after all. :) Al.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a great view of the event from Mazatlan, Mexico. Clear. About 65f. After the day's football Fiasco's, the crowds shuffled off, and I rallied the staff and patrons outside to look up. Wow! Was the general comment. So the day wasn't a complete wreck.

Jim

P.S. a total solar eclipse will come ashore at Mazatlan in 2024. It is not too early for reservations.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My spouse took this from our back deck early this morning, just as it started getting light. Neat shot.

Dave

blood moon.jpg