• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jacuzzi Tubs - a usage poll

Do you use the jacuzzi tub when there is one in your unit?

• Yes, every visit at least once!

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Every so often, but not every visit.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Nope, we don't use it.

Votes: 36 48.0%

• Total voters

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Just out of curiosity, I'm creating a poll on the usage of the jacuzzi tubs that are in a lot of the units.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually don't because I've read some really gross stories about mold coming out of the jets and other gross things.

The times that I have used them, I've cleaned the jets with bleach, filled up the tub and let it run (so the bleach gets through everything) for a long time before I actually use it. I won't even get one of these tubs at home because they are considered so unsanitary if they aren't cleaned properly each time.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We never use them and while I agree with Presley's point / observation above, another reason we don't use them is they are seldom large enough to be comfortable or practical. Most of the in room units I recall are no larger than a smallish bathtub. I should note that I am differentiating here between a jacuzzi tub and a full jacuzzi (multi person) unit. A stay in Colorado had a full sized (multi person) jacuzzi in room and after hiking all day, we did use it.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
We never use them and while I agree with Presley's point / observation above, another reason we don't use them is they are seldom large enough to be comfortable or practical. Most of the in room units I recall are no larger than a smallish bathtub. I should note that I am differentiating here between a jacuzzi tub and a full jacuzzi (multi person) unit. A stay in Colorado had a full sized (multi person) jacuzzi in room and after hiking all day, we did use it.

Right, right, I'm talking the single-double-ish sized big bathtubs in the master bathrooms. We wondered if people actually use them...for us we'd rather have the bedroom portion be larger with an additional piece of functional furniture taking up the space, but I'm assuming there must be a draw to them that they put them in everywhere. And it's obviously not just Wyndham.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You hit on one of our major complaints with Wyndham resorts -- if the is a jetted tub, you don't dare use it for fear you might catch something. My wife likes the tub but will not use it if there are little black spots floating around. We've called maintenance but then you have people in the unit for a prolonged time.

Hadn't thought of taking a jug of Clorox. Maybe we'll try that next time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These seemed to be a fad for many resorts built in the 90s and early 2000s. Now the new thing is huge walk-in showers with a hundred spray nozzles. Many resorts are ripping out the Jacuzzi in favor of making their showers bigger or putting in walk-in showers. Of course, in another 15-20 years they will be ripping those out for whatever the new fad is at the time. Perhaps hydraulic body disinfectors? (HBDs)?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Only one time, and it was a waste of water and time. I am a bit of a hygiene clean freak, and not a bathtub person - showers are my thing. But I felt I "had to" try it, early on in my timesharing life, wondering if there was something special about the experience. It was a pain in the [insert favorite body part.] By the time the tub was full and the jets were running, the water was too cold to be enjoyable. Pretty pointless. I haven't bothered since.

Similarly, I don't like using public jacuzzi-style hot tubs, like at hotels or on cruise ships. They can get very crowded, and you don't know where those other people have been. A friend calls it "human soup." Not for me.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will sometimes used a jacuzzi tub only when the Commander-in-Chief had clean the tub and all the nozzles with bleach. When we do not carry bleach; we will not used a jacuzzi tub.

We do not used hot tubs on cruise ships or in hotels.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use the netter tubs on just about every visit. Usually only once, but we enjoy them. I do also love big walkin showers!!

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Only one time, and it was a waste of water and time. I am a bit of a hygiene clean freak, and not a bathtub person - showers are my thing. But I felt I "had to" try it, early on in my timesharing life, wondering if there was something special about the experience. It was a pain in the [insert favorite body part.] By the time the tub was full and the jets were running, the water was too cold to be enjoyable. Pretty pointless. I haven't bothered since.

LOL, this describes my one and only try with one to a T!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Presley has my answer. At least the pool jacuzzi is inundaded with chlorine when a kid poops in it and is tested mutiple times per day. Who knows what happened in that tub, and what's in the pipes without having been disinfected?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
At least the pool jacuzzi is inundaded with chlorine when a kid poops in it and is tested mutiple times per day.

But has it really been tested, and how do you know? I went to use a pool jacuzzi at a resort one time, only to find it was a foamy mess with yellowish-green foam collecting in the corner, and the surfaces of the seats felt "slimy." I nearly slipped trying to step in. I didn't use it, and thoroughly washed my foot to get any residue off. I told management about it, and they said, "Yes, we know." Seriously? "Yes, we know" is the best you can do? Yuck! :D

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Presley has my answer. At least the pool jacuzzi is inundaded with chlorine when a kid poops in it and is tested mutiple times per day. Who knows what happened in that tub, and what's in the pipes without having been disinfected?
Isn't the chlorine disinfecting the pipes all the time?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
When our DD worked in the cleaning dept at (non-Wyndham) Carriage Ridge & Carriage Hills timeshare (outside of Barrie ON) years ago they used dishwasher tabs to clean the jets of the hot tubs in the rooms. As soon as they entered a unit they turned on the hot water and dropped 2 or 3 dishwasher tabs in the tub to dissolve while they waited for it to fill to just above the jets. Then they turned the jets on and let them run while the bedroom and bathroom were cleaned. When they were done the tub was emptied the tub itself was cleaned. The cleaners never used bleach as they were told it would corrode the insides of the pump and nozzles.

I rarely use a jetted tub in a timeshare, and if I do I clean it first buy running a cleaner (Mr Clean, Lysol...) through the jets as above. I have sat on the edge of public jacuzzis just to get my knees in the water, but that's as far as I will get in.

~Diane

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The jucuzzi tubs at the resorts we visit are pretty new and the clean out procedure looked like they filled the tub to just over the jets and tossed in powdered soap. Then they would run the tub while they cleaned the bathroom. I think they did this every time someone moved out of the room.

Anyway, we use the jucuzzi tubs occasionally and occasionally go out to the hot tub and meet new people. Some of the conversations we had in the hot tubs are fascinating. Especially those conversations that include timeshare usage and information. When a person tells me they spent $30,000 to $40,000 on their two bed unit I just smile anymore. I never tell them I have the same unit for $1. It might ruin the good jovial mood in the tub.

Bill

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We're redoing the bathroom in our nearly 20 year old house, and plan to remove the rarely used Jacuzzi style tub. The remodeling contractors we've talked to say they are regularly pulling the tubs out of houses. They were one of the expected features of that era but most homeowners don't really use them. We're going with the new hot item...a large, doorless shower.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When a person tells me they spent $30,000 to $40,000 on their two bed unit I just smile anymore. I never tell them I have the same unit for $1. It might ruin the good jovial mood in the tub.

Bill

Indeed. I don't do sales presentations any more, but I've heard a similar line so many times. People raving that they just SAVED so much money, and how the salesman gave them SO MUCH IN TRADE for their "worthless" timeshare. It was always in the range of $20-$40K in savings, for a mere $15 purchase, or whatever. Meanwhile, there I sit with my $1 or freebie eBay purchase, and I nod, "Good for you!" I'd never, ever want to be such a buzzkill for those people. (Until they come here, then the gloves come off. ;))

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're going with the new hot item...a large, doorless shower.

Curious: By "doorless" I presume you mean walk-in, without anything to keep the temperature in. Are you also allowing for cool air chilling you while showering? I find drafts to be a nuisance while showing in an open situation like that. Doorless sounds good, but how is it to actually use it?

Dave

steve_solo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dislike of the Jacuzzi tubs is the fact that there is usually no door to the part of the bathroom that houses the tub.
So the noise carries right into the bedroom and if a guest of yours uses it, they have to close the whole master bedroom off to get any privacy.
Worst large hot tub (IMO) in the Wyndham system - Wilderness Lodge water park in Smokies. It is a huge indoor/outdoor hot tub with literally hundreds of children diving, jumping from sides, eating and drinking (not allowed but widely ignored). No way in the world to keep that swamp sanitary.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Curious: By "doorless" I presume you mean walk-in, without anything to keep the temperature in. Are you also allowing for cool air chilling you while showering? I find drafts to be a nuisance while showing in an open situation like that. Doorless sounds good, but how is it to actually use it?

Dave

I've wondered a bit about the issue of allowing the warm air to escape, too, but we are also looking at a heated tile floor, which should help. The bigger problem for us is terrible minerals in our water, which quickly cloud shower doors, despite a good water softener. Our design has a long, narrow shower area, with a side opening on one end, so that might reduce air currents as well.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've wondered a bit about the issue of allowing the warm air to escape, too, but we are also looking at a heated tile floor, which should help. The bigger problem for us is terrible minerals in our water, which quickly cloud shower doors, despite a good water softener. Our design has a long, narrow shower area, with a side opening on one end, so that might reduce air currents as well.

Sounds like a good solution to the problem. Hard water is a hassle. :)

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I won't use the hot tubs by the pools but I use the whirlpool tubs in the master bath a lot because of my back. I have spinal stenosis, dessicated and herniated discs in my lower back and some discs problems in my neck also. If we are flying I don't have the cleaning supplies I bring when we drive so I use some of the liquid dish soap to clean out the tub and the jets.

I've found the black junk in/around the jets like OP mentioned when we've stayed at some resorts. But never had that happen at a Wyndham resort. I'm not a germaphobe but the black junk is gross. I do what OP mentioned the few times there was black junk. Fill the tub with all hot water, run it with either bleach or a lot of dish soap, drain it, rinse it, refill it with plain water, run it again, drain it and finally rinse it one last time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone about letting us know how gross these things can be. I never thought about it before now but I doubt if I will ever get in one again.

FYI...I voted "every so often" because that was my opinion before I read all of the notes.