• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Is your dog really a service animal?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Exactly, a service dog is trained for a specific task. Dogs related to mental heath conditions are emotional support dogs by definition - there’s no specific training a dog can be given that gives it any more/better ability to calm over an untrained dog. Even the VA says PTSD dogs are emotional support not service & I’d think they know what they’re talking about.
But a service dog that is trained is likely to know when the owner is in emotional distress and come over to give comfort. Any other dog “might be” or might not be smart enough to realize it. Yes, that dog gives the owner comfort by just having the company but that is not a service dog.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am so tired of seeing people take their dogs into stores. Yesterday in Macys a young couple had a big dog. No way was it any type of service dog. I then saw the dog rolling on the carpet like it was scratching itself. At Christmas time I was in Nordstrom and saw the same thing. I mentioned it to the clerk and she said yes dogs are allowed in Nordstrom and yes they have accidents all the time. Too many rich people bringing their dogs with them. She was sick of it also. Home depot it probably the worst. Dogs belong at home. All the more reason to buy online. If I ever see a UPS driver with a dog in his truck I will scream.
I love dogs. Every dog that meets me loves me too. I realize where I love dogs many do not and are afraid of them. A service dog will not bother anyone for no reason, non service dogs will. Stores need to be aware they can lose customers because of this.

Retiresoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Washington state I am told clerks in stores cannot by law ask a customer anything about their dog brought in the store. (That's Washington for you) I am one who believes a dog should be treated like a dog and not put above people. My local newspaper even stated DOGS ARE PEOPLE TOO... whaaat?While shopping one day, a customer freaked out over a dog and became extremely upset to the point the whole store heard her. I heard her sister say she had PTSD from a bad dog attack. I felt bad for her. I realize dogs are supportive to their owners, or owners just want them with them as a companion but these fake "service dogs" are out of control. I know someone who's doctor gave her a letter designating the dog as a support dog, who was simply a dog with no training whatsoever.

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
But a service dog that is trained is likely to know when the owner is in emotional distress and come over to give comfort. Any other dog “might be” or might not be smart enough to realize it. Yes, that dog gives the owner comfort by just having the company but that is not a service dog.
I’m confused as to how you think a dog is capable of “giving comfort” beyond just having the company. Last I checked, they’re not particularly well known for their skills in talk therapy or gin rummy ;) Basically, it’s a service dog vs a support dog if the owner says so which is why abuse is rampant. There’s no standards for training, agreement on legitimate tasks, or central licensing agency so there’s really no way to enforce anything.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I am so tired of seeing people take their dogs into stores. Yesterday in Macys a young couple had a big dog. No way was it any type of service dog. I then saw the dog rolling on the carpet like it was scratching itself. At Christmas time I was in Nordstrom and saw the same thing. I mentioned it to the clerk and she said yes dogs are allowed in Nordstrom and yes they have accidents all the time. Too many rich people bringing their dogs with them. She was sick of it also. Home depot it probably the worst. Dogs belong at home. All the more reason to buy online. If I ever see a UPS driver with a dog in his truck I will scream.

Now as someone who cannot imagine life without their pets, let me add that it is an entirely different thing to bring pets into public places. I've seen a good number of dogs in stores as well recently and never gave the matter a second thought until I encountered a dog who was very skittish around people. Why that dog owner took the risk of bringing such an animal into a store is beyond me because not only did it potentially endanger other customers, it also endangered the life of the dog had something unfortunate occurred.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In Washington state I am told clerks in stores cannot by law ask a customer anything about their dog brought in the store. (That's Washington for you) I am one who believes a dog should be treated like a dog and not put above people. My local newspaper even stated DOGS ARE PEOPLE TOO... whaaat?While shopping one day, a customer freaked out over a dog and became extremely upset to the point the whole store heard her. I heard her sister say she had PTSD from a bad dog attack. I felt bad for her. I realize dogs are supportive to their owners, or owners just want them with them as a companion but these fake "service dogs" are out of control. I know someone who's doctor gave her a letter designating the dog as a support dog, who was simply a dog with no training whatsoever.

I agree with you on the point about fake service dogs, but in the example you cited the freaking customer seems to be the party with an issue. To be fair though, I would not think of bringing my dogs into any store other than a PetSmart (or something similar).

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I agree with you on the point about fake service dogs, but in the example you cited the freaking customer seems to be the party with an issue. To be fair though, I would not think of bringing my dogs into any store other than a PetSmart (or something similar).
So if I bring my pet lion into a store where you are and you get frightened by it, that's your problem, not mine?

Similar situation here. You seem to think having a fear of dogs is not rational. But dogs are animals, and can (and do!) cause injury to humans. As a person who had previously been injured by a dog, I find it perfectly rational for that person to be scared and react to an untrained dog (i.e. non-service dog) running around in a store where one doesn't expect them to be.

But that's just me...

Kurt

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Re: dogs on airplanes. I imagine I'm the only Tugger who had the displeasure of smelling Daryl Hannah's dog's poop in First Class one time. To her credit she did get up and take the carrier & dog to the restroom. I spent some time on explore.org's Great Dane service dog cam a couple years ago when there was a new batch of puppies. The first thing I asked was how GDs could be a service dog, aren't they too big for airplanes? The response was that I'd be surprised how small a space they could fold themselves in to. Seems to me that any large service animal would have to have their own seat. No way there's room for a large dog of any kind, particularly in coach, unless possibly in a bulkhead aisle.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the policy is the same as it’s always been: my dog is a service dog if I say it is and have an answer to the question: what task is the dog trained to do?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
And the TRAINING that service dogs get include things like "don't bark" and "don't pay any attention to other animals or people." I've seen "emotional support" dogs that yap anytime something interesting happens, and even a couple that wanted to attack other dogs, who happened to outweigh them about 4-to-1 and were looking on with puzzlement. Some support!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
To me all pets are emotional support animals- aren't they?;)

Sorry- I don't buy into this new trend of having a supposedly "emotional support" animal. I think it is just a fraudulent way people use to be able to take their dogs wherever they want and everyone else be damned.
PS All pets not kept in cages should be "trained".

Animals should not be on a timeshare property, period, UNLESS it's a TRUE service dog, like for the blind, and that's the ONLY reason I personally accept as valid. It's for humans, their human guests, and children. Use a kennel.

We had dogs but never took them on vacation. If someone wants to buy their own place, like a beach house, then fine, but subjecting others to what is left behind (and it is!), not to mention the cleaning fees like carpet cleaning (not inexpensive, and unfairly passed on to all other owners) HAS NO PLACE.

IMHO, it's the height of selfishness and non-concern. It's TOTALLY been abused, and now it's out of hand----
just another politically-correct policy that has gone crazy. I predict it'll be rejected soon----too many people DO NOT LIKE IT,
and they shouldn't be subjected. Sorry pet-lovers, but leave them at home, or don't go. I have no tolerance, and no sympathy.

When you're invited to a big party, do you take your pet? I can only imagine the looks (and requests) you'd get....YET, you think it's OK to take a pet into a condominium-type resort where you're only one guest in a series of stays????

EDIT (addition):
I live and work as a healthcare provider, and allergic reactions cannot only be serious, but deadly. Some people actually don't realize this. I know, I know, this would be rare in a timeshare setting, but it's NOT beyond happening. Can you imagine seeing your CHILD suddenly go into convulsions, stop breathing, and die? Any, and I repeat, ANY allergen can do that, IF that victim is allergic to it. Peanuts, dog hair, whatever.

Anaphylactic shock from an allergen can cause throat swelling and sudden death, and we live with that possibility every day in my practice....BUT we do take precautions. And we DO NOT CREATE situations whereby it can happen---
we eliminate them.
That's exactly what people do when they take pets into "home" situations---they CREATE a scenario that may have grave potential, and a timeshare vacation is just the setting whereby you stay, but don't know who stayed there before you.

And on the other hand (not "medical emergency"), as for sheer cleanliness, shampooing a carpet is not enough. A dog sits all over sofas, chairs, beds, and NO ONE can tell me they don't, yet those surfaces are never cleaned....and if they ARE cleaned hypothetically, they aren't cleaned effectively....it's not possible to remove
"that stuff" 100%.

Dogs lick themselves, then lick other things, including their owners--how cute(?)
And they sit such that they rub their rear ends directly on a sofa, chair, bed, etc., and what you get is not worth describing. Those areas are not seen afterward, but they're there. (Next guests simply don't know!) And it's never cleaned! It's disgusting, and reprehensible. So, eradicate the source. NO DOGS ALLOWED! If and when I serve on a timeshare board, that single item will be my calling, and I will win.

Again I say, it should be avoided, prohibited, done deal!!! AND, if a timeshare resort has to clean a unit, that expense should 100% be paid by the owner who took the animal.....right now it's a FREE privilege to take one----so, be fair and PAY for it! Who are you that you demand a privilege that costs others in cold cash from a maintenance fee add-on????? (I'm not getting better, I'm getting madder.)

It's no problem loving your pet. Just don't bring them and affront others with your selfish abuse. In the least, it's intellectually dishonest.

Owners, speak up, and don't relent. Demand YOUR rights, for many good reasons.
Someone's life might be one.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We were just at a Fairfiield Inn- Marriott in NH and it is Pet Friendly and allows pets- do not have to be service or emotional support pets. I was really surprised.

This is their policy:

Pet Policy
  • Pets Welcome
  • Maximum 2 pets per room
  • Non-refundable fee: 25
  • 2 pets, 50 pounds max. USD 25 fee per night-cannot be left unattended in room
  • Contact hotel for details
Well, I love animals, especially dogs, but we were subjected to barking as a dog was in the room next door.

Next year we are staying at the Common Man Inn up there. They are Pet Friendly, but they just have one or two designated rooms and they are at the very far end of the Inn on the ground floor away from everything else. This I have no problem with.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
"Can't be left unattended in room." I can't imagine wanting to travel that way with a pet. MAYBE stopping one night on the way to somewhere, but otherwise, no.

We actually had a real uncomfortable situation when we stayed at Worldmark Pismo and our friends were at the RV park next door. It was an uncharacteristic 90 degrees the weekend after Memorial Day and they didn't want to leave the dog in the RV with the A/C running and I refused it admittance to our room. When we went to lunch we'd have to find an outdoor spot which meant we were all out in the heat, or back in the corner in what little shade there was because Cliff can't sit in the sun. When we strolled Moro Bay or San Luis Obispo someone had to stay outside with the dog if others wanted to go into a shop. That was the last time we ever suggested traveling together.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As Patti reminded me a properly Trained Service Dog does not normally bark for a long period of time unless there is an Emergency. So the next time we hear a "Service" Dog Barking for a period of time we will call 911. Because obviously some one is in distress.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m confused as to how you think a dog is capable of “giving comfort” beyond just having the company. Last I checked, they’re not particularly well known for their skills in talk therapy or gin rummy ;) Basically, it’s a service dog vs a support dog if the owner says so which is why abuse is rampant. There’s no standards for training, agreement on legitimate tasks, or central licensing agency so there’s really no way to enforce anything.
You made the point, there need to be legal standards on which dogs are service dogs.

A service dog with someone who has PTSD is more then company. They sense when their owner is in distress, being there for the owner, coming over to the owner can made all the difference. An untrained dog might never notice.

hk4481

TUG Member
Reaction score
Animals should not be on a timeshare property, period, UNLESS it's a TRUE service dog, like for the blind, and that's the ONLY reason I personally accept as valid. It's for humans, their human guests, and children. Use a kennel.

We had dogs but never took them on vacation. If someone wants to buy their own place, like a beach house, then fine, but subjecting others to what is left behind (and it is!), not to mention the cleaning fees like carpet cleaning (not inexpensive, and unfairly passed on to all other owners) HAS NO PLACE.

IMHO, it's the height of selfishness and non-concern. It's TOTALLY been abused, and now it's out of hand----
just another politically-correct policy that has gone crazy. I predict it'll be rejected soon----too many people DO NOT LIKE IT,
and they shouldn't be subjected. Sorry pet-lovers, but leave them at home, or don't go. I have no tolerance, and no sympathy.
I agree. I am allergic to dogs (and cats) and if I'm in a room after a cat or dog has been in it, it could lead to a medical emergency for me. I've seen people sneak their pets into 'no pets allowed' rooms and think it highly selfish of them because I purposely look for timeshares & hotels that do not allow pets so that I don't put myself in a 'medical emergency' situation. I wish, too, that pet-friendly hotels would have designated rooms for pets; and also agree that only legit service dogs should be allowed in timeshare resorts. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I don't want to end up in the hospital or emergency room while on vacation due to someone else's lack of concern for others.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. I am allergic to dogs (and cats) and if I'm in a room after a cat or dog has been in it, it could lead to a medical emergency for me. I've seen people sneak their pets into 'no pets allowed' rooms and think it highly selfish of them because I purposely look for timeshares & hotels that do not allow pets so that I don't put myself in a 'medical emergency' situation. I wish, too, that pet-friendly hotels would have designated rooms for pets; and also agree that only legit service dogs should be allowed in timeshare resorts. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I don't want to end up in the hospital or emergency room while on vacation due to someone else's lack of concern for others.
You are showing how the rights of others can affect your rights. Allergies are real and can be a danger to your life. I didn’t think of it until your post, obviously the system didn’t either.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Jet Blue charges $100.00 for a pet each way. We don’t have a pet ,but DD and SIL do. Their Pug prefers to stay home and be watched by me or in laws. The only place the dog travels now is to my house.
Silentg

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
hk4481 said:

You are showing how the rights of others can affect your rights. Allergies are real and can be a danger to your life. I didn’t think of it until your post, obviously the system didn’t either.

EDIT (addition) to address above sentiments, plus a few:
I live and work as a healthcare provider, and allergic reactions cannot only be serious, but deadly. Some people actually don't realize this. I know, I know, this would be rare in a timeshare setting, but it's NOT beyond happening. Can you imagine seeing your CHILD suddenly go into convulsions, stop breathing, and die? Any, and I repeat, ANY allergen can do that, IF that victim is allergic to it. Peanuts, dog hair, latex, a drug, whatever........literally anything.

Anaphylactic shock from an allergen can cause throat swelling and sudden death, and we live with that possibility every day in my practice....BUT we do take precautions. And we DO NOT CREATE situations whereby it can happen---
we eliminate them.
That's exactly what people do when they take pets into "home" situations---they CREATE a scenario that may have grave potential, and a timeshare vacation is just the setting whereby you stay, but don't know who stayed there before you.

And on the other hand (not "medical emergency"), as for sheer cleanliness, shampooing a carpet is not enough. A dog sits all over sofas, chairs, beds, and NO ONE can tell me they don't, yet those surfaces are never cleaned....and if they ARE cleaned hypothetically, they aren't cleaned effectively....it's not possible to remove
"that stuff" 100%.

Dogs lick themselves, then lick other things, including their owners--how cute(?)
And they sit such that they rub their rear ends directly on a sofa, chair, bed, etc., and what you get is not worth describing. Those areas are not seen afterward, but they're there. (Next guests simply don't know!) And it's never cleaned! It's disgusting, and reprehensible. So, eradicate the source. NO DOGS ALLOWED! If and when I serve on a timeshare board, that single item will be my calling, and I will win.

Again I say, it should be avoided, prohibited, done deal!!! AND, if a timeshare resort has to clean a unit, that expense should 100% be paid by the owner who took the animal.....right now it's a FREE privilege to take one----so, be fair and PAY for it! Who are you that you demand a privilege that costs others in cold cash from a maintenance fee add-on????? (I'm not getting better, I'm getting madder.)

It's no problem loving your pet. Just don't bring them and affront others with your selfish abuse. In the least, it's intellectually dishonest.

Owners, speak up, and don't relent. Demand YOUR rights, for many good reasons.
Someone's life might be one.

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
You made the point, there need to be legal standards on which dogs are service dogs.

A service dog with someone who has PTSD is more then company. They sense when their owner is in distress, being there for the owner, coming over to the owner can made all the difference. An untrained dog might never notice.
But you can’t train a dog to “sense”. You can screen ones who do vs those that don’t for a particular person but it’s not a trained behavior. And dogs in public (either trained or not) should never be far enough from their owner to have to “come over”. There’s no definition of “service animal” that allows for unrestrained pets of any form. PTSD is no different than social anxiety or agoraphobia or any of the many other mental heath conditions emotional support animals are prescribed for...it’s the Valium of the new millenium.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I had a pet therapy dog. He was my dog, but he was NOT my service dog. He was however, trained to the some level service dog skills, and had to pass all kinds of temperament and behavioral tests in order to get into the pet therapy program.

I could leave him in a down, off lease, at the outside patio of Starbucks. I could go in and get my coffee etc. and come back and he would still be in a down position. People would come over and pet his head, but he would not get up. He also had to be able to take commands from other people of sit and stay etc. He had to not be a barker, be a social dog and not be anxious or dominant or submission around other dogs.

So while he was NOT my service dog, he behaved far better than a lot of so call fake service dogs I have seen in stores hotels, and traveling. But because he was not my service dog, I could not travel with him.

It makes me angry that so many people are claiming their family pet as a service animal now. Any service dog would have basic obedience or they would flunk the dog out of training for a service dog. Family friend had the drug sniffing dog at the border on the Canadian side. Those dogs are $10,000 to train for that purpose. Seizure dog is $17000, and a PTSD dog could cost $20,000. Any dog that is a service dog will be well behaved, PERIOD. Any dog that has that much specific training can sit and stay, and pay attention.

Just saying....

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are not against Pets. We currently have 1 cat and 1 dog. Last week we had to take our 17 year old cat for his last visit to the Vet. Patti had had him since he was a kitten just old enough to leave the Litter. Patti had a hard time for a couple of days. 13 months ago we had to do the same for our almost 16 year old Corgi.

Our DIL in Seattle has a very bad allergy to cats and dogs. We have to make sure we only take freshly washed clothes on visits to Seattle. Several years ago we had Reserved them a Condo at WM Seaside. They were not in the Room more than 5 minutes and they had to leave. She almost had to use her Epi Pen. Obviously some one had had an illegal pet in the Room. Management was able to get them another Room.

When we go Timesharing we hire a Pet/House Sitter that moves into our House.