• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Is your dog really a service animal?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I've seen this topic discussed before and wanted to share how this resort is handling the issue. In this letter the resort references both Colorado law and also the ADA law several times.

6yKT26pDYw8YvG7fMUpgZdpgxdOXu64xtWJBmYSTPScIyr5qQJzj419SKmrKIKnGBrlPikU3XSsm6qK97bOxT8Z-9RW0liUbnUM5fCM4Str7hXDH3g47c3GJL8gsVSTN5-64z_HmkXeMlkI=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear RCI Exchange Guest,

We look forward to hosting you for your upcoming vacation through RCI.

Recently, we have had several RCI guest families attempt to check in for vacation with emotional support animals under the misunderstanding that these animals qualify under federal ADA law.

Under ADA regulation, service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to a person's disability.

Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Please carefully read the policy below. If you have questions, please contact me before arrival. We will not check in guests arriving with non-ADA Service Dogs. Please avoid any inconvenience or disappointment by contacting me in advance.

Sincerely, xxxxx, Front Office Manager

Our Policy is as follows:

SERVICE ANIMALS ARE WELCOME

Service animals are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Colorado state regulations prohibit non-service animals from entering the premises. Pets whose function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify under the Americans with Disability Act. Under Colorado law, it is a criminal offense to misrepresent an animal as a service animal. C.R.S. §18-13-107.7.

All guests arriving at Rams Horn Village with a service dog are required to complete the following Record:

ADA Service Animal Record

Rams Horn Village Resort accommodates Service Animals as defined Title II and Title III of the ADA. A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

Under the Act, Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. Under the ADA and Colorado law, owners of public accommodations are not required to allow emotional support animals, only service animals.
The handler is responsible for caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, feeding, and grooming and veterinary care. The Service Animal must be under the handler's control at all times. It may not be left unattended in a home or other location on the resort.
Under the ADA, the dog must already be trained before it can be taken into public places.
For our Association records, please answer the following two questions and sign below:
(1) Is the service animal required because of a disability? ___Yes___No
(2) What work or task has the dog been trained to perform? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guest Name: __________________________
Date: _______________________________
Rams Horn Village Resort Representative: ________________________

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Great idea. I wish more Resorts would do this. Wouldn't it be easier if State/Federal Law required that the Owner carry a License issued by the State or Federal Governent.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was at Costco, a woman attempted to enter with her dog in a doggie stroller. The card checker stopped her and asked for the papers. I wish I knew how that turned out.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I've seen this topic discussed before and wanted to share how this resort is handling the issue. In this letter the resort references both Colorado law and also the ADA law several times.

6yKT26pDYw8YvG7fMUpgZdpgxdOXu64xtWJBmYSTPScIyr5qQJzj419SKmrKIKnGBrlPikU3XSsm6qK97bOxT8Z-9RW0liUbnUM5fCM4Str7hXDH3g47c3GJL8gsVSTN5-64z_HmkXeMlkI=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear RCI Exchange Guest,

We look forward to hosting you for your upcoming vacation through RCI.

Recently, we have had several RCI guest families attempt to check in for vacation with emotional support animals under the misunderstanding that these animals qualify under federal ADA law.

Under ADA regulation, service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to a person's disability.

Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Please carefully read the policy below. If you have questions, please contact me before arrival. We will not check in guests arriving with non-ADA Service Dogs. Please avoid any inconvenience or disappointment by contacting me in advance.

Sincerely, xxxxx, Front Office Manager

Our Policy is as follows:

SERVICE ANIMALS ARE WELCOME

Service animals are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Colorado state regulations prohibit non-service animals from entering the premises. Pets whose function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify under the Americans with Disability Act. Under Colorado law, it is a criminal offense to misrepresent an animal as a service animal. C.R.S. §18-13-107.7.

All guests arriving at Rams Horn Village with a service dog are required to complete the following Record:

ADA Service Animal Record

Rams Horn Village Resort accommodates Service Animals as defined Title II and Title III of the ADA. A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

Under the Act, Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. Under the ADA and Colorado law, owners of public accommodations are not required to allow emotional support animals, only service animals.
The handler is responsible for caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, feeding, and grooming and veterinary care. The Service Animal must be under the handler's control at all times. It may not be left unattended in a home or other location on the resort.
Under the ADA, the dog must already be trained before it can be taken into public places.
For our Association records, please answer the following two questions and sign below:
(1) Is the service animal required because of a disability? ___Yes___No
(2) What work or task has the dog been trained to perform? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guest Name: __________________________
Date: _______________________________
Rams Horn Village Resort Representative: ________________________

It's about time.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It has gotten really bad on airlines.
I was waiting in the Southwest gate area in Reno when the CSR came over to ask a woman about her dog (Chihuahua type). She was pretty livid to be asked for proof. She gave the guy a piece of paper and all was good. It was the first time that I thought maybe it really *was* an emotional support dog, and maybe that was a good thing.

Personally dogs in a plane don't bother me, but I can see how it would be an issue for others.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was waiting in the Southwest gate area in Reno when the CSR came over to ask a woman about her dog (Chihuahua type). She was pretty livid to be asked for proof. She gave the guy a piece of paper and all was good. It was the first time that I thought maybe it really *was* an emotional support dog, and maybe that was a good thing.

Personally dogs in a plane don't bother me, but I can see how it would be an issue for others.
Were the papers for its Service Designation or its ticket? I thought small animals are allowed to travel with passengers. I thought there was a fee for this.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were the papers for its Service Designation or its ticket? I thought small animals are allowed to travel with passengers. I thought there was a fee for this.
No idea. I just know that he asked for the papers, she got quite mad and yelled at him, saying that no one else ever asked. But she handed something to him. Then he said thank you and left. She boarded with the dog.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Great idea. I wish more Resorts would do this. Wouldn't it be easier if State/Federal Law required that the Owner carry a License issued by the State or Federal Governent.
Trained service animals are so important. Those who claim to have one that isn’t really one, is just wrong. Everyone who has a service animal should have the appropriate papers to prove that the animal was trained for that purpose.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in a situation where my friend, and frequent traveling companion has decided to designate her pet as an emotional support animal. She was able to persuade her doctor to write a letter she carries with her. Recently we had plans to spend some time together at Marriott Newport Coast, and she asked me if I would ask about their policy. I wasn't sure if our friendship was going to survive when I told her no. Oh, I forgot -she has not one, but two Yorkies that she takes along. She is going back soon to Newport Coast for a 3 night stay which requires a timeshare presentation. She is planning to take the two dogs.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
To me all pets are emotional support animals- aren't they?;)

Sorry- I don't buy into this new trend of having a supposedly "emotional support" animal. I think it is just a fraudulent way people use to be able to take their dogs wherever they want and everyone else be damned.

PS All pets not kept in cages should be "trained".

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked that policy and I wish the cruise industry would adopt that policy ASAP!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::whooopie:

Can I share this policy with others; without breaking any rules or laws?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I liked that policy and I wish the cruise industry would adopt that policy ASAP!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::whooopie:

Can I share this policy with others; without breaking any rules or laws?

You are more than welcome to share it.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the Rams Horn Village Resort, but I commend and admire those folks for having the courage to confront the issue and cut to the chase.

Legitimate service dogs are wonderful and need no defending, but the whole "emotional support animal" gig is completely out of control and routinely abused (IMnsHO). The most absurd example I've seen to date (you can't make this stuff up) was an "emotional support" duck on a commercial flight :eek: (in mid-October, 2016). It was wearing a diaper and it was often seen facing out the window (perhaps looking for unfortunate ducks that had to fly on their own?). I've subsequently seen some photos. If I can find a photo and figure out how to upload it here, I will do so if it's not copyrighted material.

Edited to add: I can't find any esd (emotional support duck) photos that I can upload here. If you doubt my veracity, a Google of "emotional support duck" will promptly reveal numerous photos taken by people on that flight. The duck apparently was named "Daniel" and he reportedly served to calm his person down from "the stress of airline travel".
As I said already, you can't make this stuff up! :D

Last edited:

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love & support the idea but I'm surprised at one of their examples of service animals: "Examples of such work or tasks include.....calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack" seems to be the exact definition of an emotional support animal. So I guess it's obvious why there's so much confusion & grey area, lol!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Southwest is indeed allowing this - in their current magazine in the seats (the in flight magazine) SouthWest has a couple of articles promoting the airline as being furry friendly and they do mention a fee. On our recent flight, we saw a couple bring a cute long earred dachshund on board but they did have a proper carrier that would fit under the seat.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Love & support the idea but I'm surprised at one of their examples of service animals: "Examples of such work or tasks include.....calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack" seems to be the exact definition of an emotional support animal. So I guess it's obvious why there's so much confusion & grey area, lol!
The difference is that a service dog is TRAINED to do the specific task the owner needs for PTSD (in this example), instead of just being a pet that the owner likes having around. I doubt the "emotional support animal" could detect when the owner was in trouble and then focus on the person and perform its task to help calm them down. Big difference, IMO.

Kurt

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This policy still allows pet owners to lie, it just spells out the requirement for the ADA provisions and requires the person to sign the acknowledgment. I think it is a good idea and may discourage some and perhaps those that don't realize emotional support dogs do not qualify. I see this is sent this out to RCI guests before the guests/owners arrive but it should also be sent to owners and their guests. The resort is still powerless to do anything if a guest signs the form stating the dog is service dog.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The difference is that a service dog is TRAINED to do the specific task the owner needs for PTSD (in this example), instead of just being a pet that the owner likes having around. I doubt the "emotional support animal" could detect when the owner was in trouble and then focus on the person and perform its task to help calm them down. Big difference, IMO.

Kurt
Perfectly said

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Southwest is indeed allowing this - in their current magazine in the seats (the in flight magazine) SouthWest has a couple of articles promoting the airline as being furry friendly and they do mention a fee. On our recent flight, we saw a couple bring a cute long earred dachshund on board but they did have a proper carrier that would fit under the seat.
I sat next to an adorable French Bulldog from Baltimore to San Diego. I forgot he was there until he snored. Apparently he had been given some drugs because his owner said that the flight from SD to Baltimore hadn't gone so well. He barked the whole time.

My daughter brought her cat on Southwest when she moved home. His carrier looks like a duffle bag with a porthole and no one noticed until she was getting off the plane. Everyone wanted a picture. It looked like this but was plain khaki: https://pin.it/gbqwennkyww3rz

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt
Exactly, a service dog is trained for a specific task. Dogs related to mental heath conditions are emotional support dogs by definition - there’s no specific training a dog can be given that gives it any more/better ability to calm over an untrained dog. Even the VA says PTSD dogs are emotional support not service & I’d think they know what they’re talking about.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am so tired of seeing people take their dogs into stores. Yesterday in Macys a young couple had a big dog. No way was it any type of service dog. I then saw the dog rolling on the carpet like it was scratching itself. At Christmas time I was in Nordstrom and saw the same thing. I mentioned it to the clerk and she said yes dogs are allowed in Nordstrom and yes they have accidents all the time. Too many rich people bringing their dogs with them. She was sick of it also. Home depot it probably the worst. Dogs belong at home. All the more reason to buy online. If I ever see a UPS driver with a dog in his truck I will scream.