• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is upgrade feature working?

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering why owners are finding rooms for discounted points at the resort that I have upgrade requests with full points?
Is the upgrade feature not working or is it turned off in the system at this time.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had both instant upgrade and automatic upgrade work. At one resort, I book the lower bedroom unit, it automatically upgraded then I cancelled the orginal one.

What resort what month?

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
At best I would say it is working intermittently.

I just had a 1 BR at National Harbor with a requested upgrade and 5 days into the upgrade window, no upgrade was made, but a 2BR unit was sitting there. Difference was just a couple of thousand, so just booked the 2BR.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
At best I would say it is working intermittently.

I just had a 1 BR at National Harbor with a requested upgrade and 5 days into the upgrade window, no upgrade was made, but a 2BR unit was sitting there. Difference was just a couple of thousand, so just booked the 2BR.
I have seen that situation, called and talked to a VC, and been told my reservation didn't upgrade because someone ahead of me requested an upgrade (implying they are going to get it).

They just don't understand, it's like you're wasting your breath

Who benefits by rooms, overall, costing more points than they used to? This is a great example, you paid a little more. Lots of people are paying "a little more".

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mind sharing what resort(s) were involved?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I have seen that situation, called and talked to a VC, and been told my reservation didn't upgrade because someone ahead of me requested an upgrade (implying they are going to get it).

They just don't understand, it's like you're wasting your breath

Who benefits by rooms, overall, costing more points than they used to? This is a great example, you paid a little more. Lots of people are paying "a little more".

How broken could that be? That larger units sit out there, instead of matching to an upgrade.

IMHO - that sounds like a "get them off the phone" response. They know that there is nothing they can do, so just tell them something to close out the call.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that it seems to work intermittently. It probably varies by resort. And I think it depends on which days are in question. For example, if a resort generally rents weeks starting Saturday, a 3 night stay starting Thursday, could be treated differently with regards to automatic upgrades.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not working with any consistency. And that actually is to the benefit of owners who still want to cancel and rebook. I just did that with several rooms at Bonnet Creek. I had a one bedroom reservation made 3 months ago with request for auto upgrade. Now that the 60 day window had opened for thanksgiving reservations I tested it. I cancelled a larger room. It did not auto upgrade. The cancellation returned 15 minutes later. So I rebooked with 50% less points. I did it three more times with larger rooms. All of the rooms were for the same dates. Same result each time. I had one room that I lost. But all in all very good odds for the new methods.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It's definitely not working with any consistency. And that actually is to the benefit of owners who still want to cancel and rebook. I just did that with several rooms at Bonnet Creek. I had a one bedroom reservation made 3 months ago with request for auto upgrade. Now that the 60 day window had opened for thanksgiving reservations I tested it. I cancelled a larger room. It did not auto upgrade. The cancellation returned 15 minutes later. So I rebooked with 50% less points. I did it three more times with larger rooms. All of the rooms were for the same dates. Same result each time. I had one room that I lost. But all in all very good odds for the new methods.
Shhhhhh :)

I think it makes the WYN management happy, too. They just need some reports (one seemed to satisfy them at the owners meeting) that auto upgrades work, and a smattering of reports such as yours and sales can continue to market the cancel/rebook.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
My problem is with La Belle Maison. For other resorts I have had the instant upgrade work. My question is about the upgrade you request and the system is supposed to match when it appears. This is not happening. As far as cancel and rebook I don't even try that at prime time. I'm do afraid I will lose the reservation completely. This stated happening before the new system. I do believe Wyndham is capturing prime reservations for rentals.
BTW Wyndham if your reading this I still hate the new site. Like a good little sheep I am trying my best to use it as I have to or lose 9,000 dollars in fees or bank with RCI which of course you ruined our priority with that exchange company years ago. One added bitch the not being able to book one day reservations until 14 days before WHY the date has been sitting out there for months.
I know this question has been asked a hundred times is there any faster way to search? Any way to at least stay on same month and just go through the room size choices?
Thanks everyone for hearing me out. Guess we are all in this together:)

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had a non upgrade at Natl harbor. Had a 1 bedroom with upgrade request and a 2 bed became available. no auto upgrade, so after a day I booked the 2 bed (when I realized it was at a discount) and canceled the 1 (this is for thanksgiving, so not willing to play cancel rebook) the new 2 bed reservation was 23,000 points less than the original full price 1 bedroom, so I still saved points. If auto upgrade had worked, I would have used more points for the same reservation. Not to Wyndham's advantage. By the way, the 1 bed did not reappear until the next day.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the posters that are providing resort names. I am beginning to believe that what one Wyndham Management Company employee described as the Inventory Management team is the group that makes the final decisions on what gets uploaded into what pot based on inputs from the HOAs that run the resorts.

As it relates to book, cancel, re-book, the same underlying reasons why Wyndham permitted it in the first place still exist, they maybe just intend to give it a major haircut.

The prior post sounds like it maybe what they called a "Resort Special".

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just had a non upgrade at Natl harbor. Had a 1 bedroom with upgrade request and a 2 bed became available. no auto upgrade, so after a day I booked the 2 bed (when I realized it was at a discount) and canceled the 1 (this is for thanksgiving, so not willing to play cancel rebook) the new 2 bed reservation was 23,000 points less than the original full price 1 bedroom, so I still saved points. If auto upgrade had worked, I would have used more points for the same reservation. Not to Wyndham's advantage. By the way, the 1 bed did not reappear until the next day.

You are smarter than me. When I did this, I cancelled my 1 BR and it never came back. So just booked the 2 BR.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
the new 2 bed reservation was 23,000 points less than the original full price......

Not to Wyndham's advantage

I don't understand what you mean when you say "not to wyndhams advantage"

It dosent make any difference to Wyndham whether you get a discount or not as long as the fees are paid on all your points.

Wyndham was very careful when they suspended all those accounts last year, to say they were acting as manager for fairshare association

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Ron, I understand what you are saying. But surely it's to Wyndham's advantage that we are spending more points for rooms these days.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, I understand what you are saying. But surely it's to Wyndham's advantage that we are spending more points for rooms these days.

I don't think so. At least not a financial advantage. As long as the fees are being paid the hoas get their due and Wyndham gets their percentage as a management fee and everyone happy. I contend that if I fewer high value reservation I did because each one cost me more, the beneficiary is the other owners. And the benefit is more availability

Here's an extreme example

Someone that owned 30 million points gets 150 reservations at 200000 points each, but since this owner was able to get a 50% discount on all of them he got 300 reservations

He didn't spend any more points or any more money but he got twice the reservations. These "extra" reservations didn't make Wyndham any extra money. What happened is that 150 reservations that should have gone to other owners l, didn't

Causing an owner to spend more points per reservation means that there is more availability to other owners, in my example 150 more. At least that's what co skier convinced me of.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Along those lines.. it could cause me to buy more points (that would make someone happy).

Or if the rooms are sitting empty (which I strongly suspect we've had some of that and expect that trend to continue) then housekeeping fees would go down, and less wear and tear on the resort. Perhaps that will benefit the HOA and we'll see lower maintenance fees?

And I say to myself, what a wonderful world. ;)

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got an upgrade at Emerald Grand in Destin. From 3 Bedroom Bay View to 4 Bedroom Harbor View.

I booked the 3 bedroom about 1.5 months ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Along those lines.. it could cause me to buy more points (that would make someone happy).

Or if the rooms are sitting empty (which I strongly suspect we've had some of that and expect that trend to continue) then housekeeping fees would go down, and less wear and tear on the resort. Perhaps that will benefit the HOA and we'll see lower maintenance fees?

And I say to myself, what a wonderful world. ;)

nice to see you moving from the darkside to at least look at the bright side

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean when you say "not to wyndhams advantage"

It dosent make any difference to Wyndham whether you get a discount or not as long as the fees are paid on all your points.

Wyndham was very careful when they suspended all those accounts last year, to say they were acting as manager for fairshare association

Ron,
The more points I spend on a reservation, the less reservations I have. This frees up inventory that can be used for other purposes, such as extra vacations or just so Wyndham can tout more availability to fish on the hook at sales presentations.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
The more points I spend on a reservation, the less reservations I have. This frees up inventory that can be used for other purposes, such as extra vacations or just so Wyndham can tout more availability to fish on the hook at sales presentations.

I think extra vacations is the same monster under the bed that my daughter was scared of. It dosent exist, or at least I don't think so

More availability is exactly right, but not only can wyndham feed it to the fish, other owners can make the high demand reservations

That increased availability is the benefit from the need to use more points than we used to

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think extra vacations is the same monster under the bed that my daughter was scared of. It dosent exist, or at least I don't think so

More availability is exactly right, but not only can wyndham feed it to the fish, other owners can make the high demand reservations

That increased availability is the benefit from the need to use more points than we used to

I don't know anymore. They seem to pop up more of the sites out there for extra vacations. My wife works for the State Government and they got an email saying they qualify for tripbeat.com. There is already the veterans, military, and first responders out there also. Of course that is on top of the public ones out there. The more people they market to the more inventory they will sell that way.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The above poster is probably right, the race probably will be for the better reservations in tiers 2 and three. The most favored reservations will still probably go to mega renters through various methods. The express reservations may very well go up for extra reservations at lower demand resort times. If there is no demand for the left overs, then they will go vacant.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of inventory on extra holidays, some 3 and 4 bedroom penthouses. I have never seen that before.. Does Wyndham also get in line for the auto upgrade. If so, they would be the first to grab the discount period reservations and the first to select auto upgrade. Other owners see the upgrade sitting in inventory and decide to cancel and re book with an upgrade. Only problem the 1 bedroom does not come back as people have posted. Where does it go? Extra Holidays in line for an upgrade? In this case more points used for a reservation.

I would imagine at some point there will be an audit to see the way the upgrades are really working