• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it better to buy (resale) through RCI or Vacation club?

Dariah

Reaction score
So I am looking at an Occidental property, on SMTN there are unit that people are reselling that are RCI.

Am I better to buy from someone selling their Vacation Club Ownership in this case Occidental? Or someone selling their RCI ownership? Or whatever you call it..

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The answer is don't buy either. Before you buy anything spend 6 months reading the posts on this Forum...

George

Dariah

Reaction score
The answer is don't buy either. Before you buy anything spend 6 months reading the posts on this Forum...

George

I am not buying new, I am definitely looking at bargain deals. I just am not sure if its better to buy points with RCI in certain "colored" weeks or buy with the VC with floating weeks

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Have you explored the various ways timeshares can be used, and the different types of ownerships there are? If your question boils down to whether it’s better to own Points or a Floating Week, the answer isn’t cut and dried - because it depends on how you like to travel, whether you intend to stay at the deeded resort or exchange out, and such. As to the seller, absolutely do your homework. Quite often a timeshare advertiser like SMTN will have something listed for hundreds or thousands more than the same thing on eBay, Tug, Sumday, Redweek, or other broker sites. It’s very easy to get into a timeshare, but can be very difficult to get out of one. Take your time and do your research. The bargains aren’t going anywhere.

Dave

Dariah

Reaction score
Have you explored the various ways timeshares can be used, and the different types of ownerships there are? If your question boils down to whether it’s better to own Points or a Floating Week, the answer isn’t cut and dried - because it depends on how you like to travel, whether you intend to stay at the deeded resort or exchange out, and such. As to the seller, absolutely do your homework. Quite often a timeshare advertiser like SMTN will have something listed for hundreds or thousands more than the same thing on eBay, Tug, Sumday, Redweek, or other broker sites. It’s very easy to get into a timeshare, but can be very difficult to get out of one. Take your time and do your research. The bargains aren’t going anywhere.

Dave
I am trying! It's all so very confusing to me still. I'm in no rush! I did just get my cancellation paperwork from Occidental from rescinding what I bought the end of January. For now I will rent people's weeks until I sort this all out.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am trying! It's all so very confusing to me still. I'm in no rush! I did just get my cancellation paperwork from Occidental from rescinding what I bought the end of January. For now I will rent people's weeks until I sort this all out.

Congratulations on your rescission. Now that the pressure is off, there are a number of things to ask yourself: Is that THE resort you want to own, or is it just the one you happened to visit? If that’s the one you want to own, what are the different ownerships they offer? Is it points-based, where a reservation is based on the number of days reserved, or weeks-based, where a reservation is seven nights. Do weeks-based reservations float between seasons, and if so, which weeks in a year are available to reserve, or are they Fixed weeks, where you get the same week automatically reserved every year? How do you want to travel - a week once every year or two, or a flexible number of nights, reserved on your own schedule? These kind of questions will help you begin to sort through your choices.

Dave

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am not buying new, I am definitely looking at bargain deals. I just am not sure if its better to buy points with RCI in certain "colored" weeks or buy with the VC with floating weeks

1) Where to you live & where to you want to go and when during the year ?
for example :Worldmark is a well regarded TS system but is more westcoast .

2) All points ownerships are a virtual currency . Almost all have arbitrage possibilities .

(ie) Wyndham & others have some resorts were the MF $ dollar cost per 1000 points is less than
some of there other properties But the points can be used at any Wyndham resort. When you are using within the system there is no exchange fees . Wyndham owns RCI & so Wyndham points that are close to expiring can be “saved / extended “by depositing into RCI ( use will then require an exchange fee ) .

3 ) The Vacation Village resorts are known for ( some / not all) ownerships that have a RCI points for good value per MF dollar . higher point ownerships at Grandview Los Vegas are an example . Some owners will buy these as “traders”and never actually stay there or even visit Las Vegas .

Start reading TUG & learn .

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score

George

Sound advice from the other replies. bogey21 gave 1 of my favorite suggestions before buying :thumbup:

Your comment, I´m in no rush!... &, to rent for now..., is also a very good move :cool:.

cheech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bahia Principe Privilege Club, Royal Elite Vacation Club
Unless it's $1 or free, it's not a bargain just as an FYI. I own 2 agreements with OVC. 1 is a 2 BD/2 BA Grand Level Cozumel home resort, the other is a 1 BD Platinum First Club no blackouts. Bought them both on ebay for $1 each.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
And just because it is a $1 or free timeshare that doesn’t always mean it is a bargain. Take on the wrong one and it will likely cause you to hate timeshares for the rest of your life.

As others have said, take your time, read the many TUG forums and ask questions. Rent multiple places to better understand what you may like before buying a timeshare.

Dariah

Reaction score
Unless it's $1 or free, it's not a bargain just as an FYI. I own 2 agreements with OVC. 1 is a 2 BD/2 BA Grand Level Cozumel home resort, the other is a 1 BD Platinum First Club no blackouts. Bought them both on ebay for $1 each.

Those are what I want!