• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it a coincidence or is google watching?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yesterday I received an email from Apple about a school discount promotion ending soon on their products. I selected to see the iPad.

Today my phone provider emails me a promotion on an iPad.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It’s probably not a coincidence. Targeted marketing is real. You shop online for a pair of shoes, and you’ll get ads for shoes everywhere you look. What’s annoying about it to me, is that I already bought that pair of shoes. I don’t need to feel bad by seeing ads for days from other sellers offering the same shoes for less money.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Probably not coincidence. We are being tracked.

Companies such as Google look through the internet to try to find ways to link you to all of the devices you own and all of the accounts you have. Once they have that info, they use it place targeted ads.

Earlier this year a business associate and I were discussing a project over the phone. We have a regular relationship, and communicate periodically by email. He followed up on our discussions with an email, advising me that the client had authorized us to proceed.

But his email didn't come in at my business address that we use. It appeared in a Yahoo mail account that I use strictly for personal reasons, and particularly it's the account I use when I think there's a good chance that providing my email is going to result in large amounts of low priority mail. I often go for a week without visiting that account.

My associate and I have never communicated using that account, and he would have no way of even knowing that account is in my name.

We deduced that he had recently obtained a new iPhone, and in creating/migrating his contacts, Apple had added account data that it had obtained for people in his contacts list. So it recognized my name, had my name linked to the Yahoo email account, and so added that Yahoo mail address to his contact list. Then Apple made that Yahoo address the primary email address for my contact info., so when he sent me an email from his phone, it went to that Yahoo address.

BTW - I have never owned an Apple computer, nor an Apple device of any kind, nor have I ever used any Apple service such as iTunes. I have done zero business in my life and have never communicated with anyone. Yet Apple knew who I was and had me linked to at least one email account.

And the only way they could have made the connection is because they are scraping the internet and using the data to make those connections.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No coincidence. There is a saying, a truism, I think. 'On the internet, if you are not the customer, you are the product being sold.'

Jim

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Companies like google scan your email. While they don’t per say read your email they use algorithms to scan email for key word and phrases and use what they find to direct advertising.

Just try this on a separate computer or that of a friend email a letter to your gmail account about traveling to Jamaica

In a few hours when searching web you will notice ads with Jamaica in them as you surf.

But if you read the TOS agreement you give them the rights to do this when you agree to use them for free email.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten emails from those who I have never given my main email address to. I have a junk email I use for those I don't want to have my main email. It's creepy and don't like it

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yesterday I received an email from Apple about a school discount promotion ending soon on their products. I selected to see the iPad.

Today my phone provider emails me a promotion on an iPad.

May 1998 was the first time we had internet service. I sat there staring at the screen not knowing what to do or where to go. Eventually I decided that the Land's End catalog probably had a website, so I'd look for that. No luck, but a couple realtors and campgrounds with that name appeared. A full hour later all of a sudden I was getting ads for Land's End clothing. I thought that was pretty cool!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But if you read the TOS agreement you give them the rights to do this when you agree to use them for free email.
The email is free because, as Jim notes, you are not the customer; rather you - or more specifically, your personal information as revealed by your communications - is the product. The free email is just a way for them to generate more and better product.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading a novel “The 19th wife” in which a character who had been kicked out of a Mormon polygamist community mentioned he still enjoyed wearing Mormon underwear and that he purchased it at Amazon.com. Out of curiosity I searched Mormon underwear on Amazon.com. That was 3 years ago. Every so often I still get pop up ads for Mormon underwear.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading a novel “The 19th wife” in which a character who had been kicked out of a Mormon polygamist community mentioned he still enjoyed wearing Mormon underwear and that he purchased it at Amazon.com. Out of curiosity I searched Mormon underwear on Amazon.com. That was 3 years ago. Every so often I still get pop up ads for Mormon underwear.
How is it different from Lutheran underwear?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes we need to know now......my curiosity is piqued. However now I am afraid to search. They will realize I only have 1 wife and will I will get adds that may get me in trouble.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

Okay so now I’m curious about Lutheran underwear but I’m not looking it up. Someone on the Rick Steve’s travel forum mentioned they like the women’s underwear with the secret travel pocket. I thought they were joking, but it actually exists. There’s a zipped pocket right dead center.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Tug Brian
I'm Catholic, at least that what it says on my dogtags. My wife is Episcopalian, my DIL is a Baptist my 2nd DIL is a Kindergarten teacher and I don't think she thinks there is a God anymore and my SIL is Jewish but he doesn't wear underwear. I don't want to offend anyone I just want to do the right thing. What type of underwear should I wear?

Signed

Comando Jim

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
To answer the question: Mormon underwear is known in the Latter-Day Saints religion as Temple garments. The material is nothing special, and they're offered in a variety of fabrics for both men and women. For men, they are either a two piece set - basically a short-sleeved t-shirt and knee-length boxers, or a one-piece design that covers the same amount of the body. What makes them significant in the religion is several markings in specific locations on the fabric, that represent certain promises worthy Mormons make when they go through a temple ceremony. Only those good Mormons who hold Temple Recommends are allowed to go through the temple, so these garments are not something all Mormons wear. It's a religious thing, and for non-Mormons, it probably seems rather pointless. For devout Mormons, it's a very personal part of their belief system, and isn't something they'll generally discuss with outsiders.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To answer the question: Mormon underwear is known in the Latter-Day Saints religion as Temple garments. The material is nothing special, and they're offered in a variety of fabrics for both men and women. For men, they are either a two piece set - basically a short-sleeved t-shirt and knee-length boxers, or a one-piece design that covers the same amount of the body. What makes them significant in the religion is several markings in specific locations on the fabric, that represent certain promises worthy Mormons make when they go through a temple ceremony. Only those good Mormons who hold Temple Recommends are allowed to go through the temple, so these garments are not something all Mormons wear. It's a religious thing, and for non-Mormons, it probably seems rather pointless. For devout Mormons, it's a very personal part of their belief system, and isn't something they'll generally discuss with outsiders.

Dave
Excellent post, Dave. The pith of "tolerance" is affording respect and honor to those whose beliefs and practices differ from our own - extending even to those whose beliefs might be antithetical to ours.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score