• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is 2019 the 'Year of the Timeshare'? [Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt in the DC speculation]

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only heard that free cross-program access is coming. Yes, we bought more points, but that wasn't why (since hearing wouldn't have met my threshold to act).

I can understand your perspective. That has been me for quite a while. I always said I would never buy any more points (especially from the developer), yet I did. It takes more than hearing something to convince me to part with my money. Some things have to be seen to be believed. While my reasons for buying may or may not be the same as someone else's, I bought more points because I saw what I needed to see. Some knowledgeable person may want to start prowling around the applicable state regulatory agencies websites to keep an eye out for interesting recent/upcoming filings.

Ok, so you purchased more points for a different reason. So, let’s discuss a little.

What was it that you saw (hopefully you got it in writing) that made you want to buy more points? What was so important that pushed an experienced tugger to buy from the developer?

In your initial post you stated there are two important dates. 2015 and OCT 2019. What is the importance of these dates?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Boy, the speculation about what is going to happen with the merger is probably the biggest since we all wondered about what was coming before the Destinations Program was coming. Heck, and I knew that was coming without even knowing it was coming. I sat through a focus group on it in Irvine and all of the current stuff of the DC program and the advertising were a part of the discussion for us. Who knew a few years later that those discussions would lead to the DC program. It took me a while to even realize that the DC Program was what we were discussing. I believe everyone should just relax and see what comes out of this merger. Enjoy our memberships and I can see only good things coming. What Marriott will do for certain is make sure that there are more opportunities to separate you from your money and make you feel good about doing it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, the speculation about what is going to happen with the merger is probably the biggest since we all wondered about what was coming before the Destinations Program was coming. Heck, and I knew that was coming without even knowing it was coming. I sat through a focus group on it in Irvine and all of the current stuff of the DC program and the advertising were a part of the discussion for us. Who knew a few years later that those discussions would lead to the DC program. It took me a while to even realize that the DC Program was what we were discussing. I believe everyone should just relax and see what comes out of this merger. Enjoy our memberships and I can see only good things coming. What Marriott will do for certain is make sure that there are more opportunities to separate you from your money and make you feel good about doing it.

Yes, fully agree......

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Not sure what's coming, but the hype is definitely there.

Hopefully it'll be beneficial for all Marriott owners, including Legacy.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We

We had a good presentation with a top salesman who seemed respectable a few months ago. Very interesting discussion. Seems new program rules are likely coming. Got the sense a few more levels were coming, possibly 2 more with new benefits not in place today. We got the sense maybe only chairman would be upgraded to the top level and no others, as all other levels would not change.

While not discussed, I could see MVC moving to new point purchase requirements and at the same time implementing a buyback program. It would make sense if they were adding more levels with higher point tiers.
As ever though, there is absolutely no way that any salesman would be party now to the plans (if indeed there are any yet) by the MVC Executive team to introduce new program rules, add new owner levels and benefits...etc
That is not to say that it couldn’t happen, but it can only be pure speculation by them at this stage and no more likely to be accurate than the speculation by some TUGers here in this forum.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I thought the same thing when I read the OP, just a bunch of vague BS to make a sale. No details provided whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
m

What he said.

I will add that for me personally allowing Vistana owners any access to MVC or the other way around would not be acceptable. As a legacy owner I have no need of more owners cutting the line in front of me. Period.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will add that for me personally allowing Vistana owners any access to MVC or the other way around would not be acceptable. As a legacy owner I have no need of more owners cutting the line in front of me. Period.

If those making the decisions at Marriott decide something is in the Corporate interest, it will happen whether acceptable to you or not. This is not only Marriott but all the Corporate entities who run these operations will do the same thing...

George

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
If those making the decisions at Marriott decide something is in the Corporate interest, it will happen whether acceptable to you or not. This is not only Marriott but all the Corporate entities who run these operations will do the same thing...

George

True.

Doesn’t mean my opinion will change

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Post #33.....True. Doesn’t mean my opinion will change.

and Post #31...I will add that for me personally allowing Vistana owners any access to MVC or the other way around would not be acceptable. As a legacy owner I have no need of more owners cutting the line in front of me. Period.

I'm with you 100% regarding reciprocity as stated in your post #31 above.
I hope there is no harm done to Legacy owners, which I believe happens to be the largest segment of all Marriott owners.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
m

What he said.

I'm with you 100% regarding reciprocity as stated in your post #31 above.
I hope there is no harm done to Legacy owners, which I believe happens to be the largest segment of all Marriott owners.

I agree with you all. Letting VSN owners to access MVC is not acceptable or the other way MVC to VSN. Each platform has enough people competing with very few slots. I would be ok if they create a cross platform exchange (isn't II already doing this?), so DC points can exchange to SOs or vice versa. Of course, owners will have to pay an upfront fee to enter this cross platform exchange. This way, they don't have to upset any VSN/MVC owners and nothing will change.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Uhh no lol. That’s the fastest way to piss off a lot of people. A true bad PR move. Trust me, if you want into other properties you’ll have to pay as well. Nothing is free. You’re talking about people that sell timeshares for tens of thousands of dollars. They aren’t exactly the most honorable people here.

I understand why folks in these other programs would not like it, but MVCI's ultimate responsibility is to its shareholders. I believe they will come up with a way to 'value' in the DC levels of ownership what these other people's ownerships in these other systems are worth and place them accordingly (from the bottom level through Chairman's or higher). I believe they will still be able to exchange within their own systems as they always have. However, to play in the DC pool, I expect MVCI will require them to 'buy-in' at some minimal level of points (and it may be a few thousand points). People in these other systems won't like having to 'pay to play'. However, as said before, MVCI bought their companies. As long as they can continue to do what they have always done, their ownership has not been lessened. To play in the DC system represents an enhancement to their ownership that MVCI can rightly (in a purely business sense) charge them to get. If it was the other way around, their companies could certainly have done the same thing to MVCI owners (as part of their responsibility to their own shareholders). JMHO, as I only 'heard' this.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full stop. You bought points from the developer.

In anything that you signed, anywhere, was it written that by purchasing these points you would have full access to all of the other brands with out purchasing additional points or paying additional fees, or jumping through any other hoops?

No, it does not have some similar wording to that effect? Are you still with in your recision period? Yes? Suggest you find that recision document, follow the instructions, send it in return receipt. Then come back and we can have all the speculative debate in the world. I like the speculative debate here, it can run for months, you don’t have months on the recision period. Please think about the recision instrument available to you right now.

I have nothing in writing about the exchanging into other systems. I only heard that is coming (as reinforced by the post regarding the last investor call where a forthcoming integrated product was mentioned). While nice if/when it happens, it wasn't why we bought more points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t realize the OP bought additional DC points. Please go rescind now, then come back and we can keep talking about it. Your current deal will always be there or better when Marriott announces the integration plan. Marriott paid a couple billions for VSN, it’s not going to be free...

I appreciate the concern, but this isn't our first timeshare rodeo. The only reason we have ever bought developer points is to 'enroll' our weeks/points. With our previous points purchases, we got our weeks enrolled. With this last purchase, we got all of our weeks and points 'enrolled' for what is coming next. Anyone going to an owner's update in the next 90 days needs to be asking about what is coming next.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I appreciate the concern, but this isn't our first timeshare rodeo. The only reason we have ever bought developer points is to 'enroll' our weeks/points. With our previous points purchases, we got our weeks enrolled. With this last purchase, we got all of our weeks and points 'enrolled' for what is coming next. Anyone going to an owner's update in the next 90 days needs to be asking about what is coming next.
They won’t be telling you what’s coming next if anything is even coming next. As I said before. Until something comes it comes. MVG owns MVC and VSE correct? I highly doubt they will just allow MVC owners to book into existing Vistana resorts “free of charge”. Tbh as a Vistana owner I’m not happy about MVG buying us up. I don’t like MVG or MVC. I don’t think they ever did the right thing by their customers. They have only ever made things difficult. Not to mention the MVC resorts aren’t where I want to be, With the exception of Aruba. I’d much rather be at the Westin properties in Mexico, CO and Hawaii. I’ve stayed at the MVC in AZ and I wasn’t too impressed. They can charge me more to enroll my resale units into their program but I’d pass anyway. Here is food for thought though, at an owners update two years ago I was told “we were bought by Marriott , now you have access to all Marriott properties” lines of crapola is their MO. Lol

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As ever though, there is absolutely no way that any salesman would be party now to the plans (if indeed there are any yet) by the MVC Executive team to introduce new program rules, add new owner levels and benefits...etc
That is not to say that it couldn’t happen, but it can only be pure speculation by them at this stage and no more likely to be accurate than the speculation by some TUGers here in this forum.

New programs don't just roll-out over night. There are required regulatory filings (both before and after any changes). Also, plans, procedures, and even forms that will be given to purchasing owners post roll-out are just some examples of things that would be created well in advance.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There really can be no possibility of an Owner Update in the near future providing tangible detail on any significant changes coming next.
As Stephen Weisz, MVW CEO said at an Investor Relations event just a few weeks ago
“Looking ahead to 2020, we have begun focusing on product enhancements for the various brands. Specifically, we are working hard to develop an integrated product form that can be leveraged across the Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton brands, enhancing the overall value proposition for our owners and customers. It will take time to finalize and roll out this new product form; however, we are very excited about the potential it will provide and we look forward to updating you in the future as this work evolves.”

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They won’t be telling you what’s coming next if anything is even coming next. As I said before. Until something comes it comes. MVG owns MVC and VSE correct? I highly doubt they will just allow MVC owners to book into existing Vistana resorts “free of charge”. Tbh as a Vistana owner I’m not happy about MVG buying us up. I don’t like MVG or MVC. I don’t think they ever did the right thing by their customers. They have only ever made things difficult. Not to mention the MVC resorts aren’t where I want to be, With the exception of Aruba. I’d much rather be at the Westin properties in Mexico, CO and Hawaii. I’ve stayed at the MVC in AZ and I wasn’t too impressed. They can charge me more to enroll my resale units into their program but I’d pass anyway. Here is food for thought though, at an owners update two years ago I was told “we were bought by Marriott , now you have access to all Marriott properties” lines of crapola is their MO. Lol

Everything will work itself out eventually. However, I wouldn't recommend purchasing any more resale points (at least until after these program changes formally roll out this fall).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would be surprised if they ever just opened up Westin/Sheraton to Marriott and vice versa. If they do something, I think it will likely be based on individual Vistana owners having to enroll their week in the DC, so will not be a blanket reciprocity. The only VSE intervals MVC owners would compete for are those that are enrolled.
I simply don't see them allowing current enrolled DC and trust owners having an in to the system for free. I would expect any access to Vistana properties for Marriott owners to require some upgrading of their current ownership. Marriott ownership base is much larger and to try to make considerable income off the much smaller Vistana base probably won't fly to help pay for the big money they spent on the acquisition.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There really can be no possibility of an Owner Update in the near future providing tangible detail on any significant changes coming next.
As Stephen Weisz, MVW CEO said at an Investor Relations event just a few weeks ago
“Looking ahead to 2020, we have begun focusing on product enhancements for the various brands. Specifically, we are working hard to develop an integrated product form that can be leveraged across the Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton brands, enhancing the overall value proposition for our owners and customers. It will take time to finalize and roll out this new product form; however, we are very excited about the potential it will provide and we look forward to updating you in the future as this work evolves.”

Nothing I heard or saw during my meeting contradicts that. Product enhancements for DC owners are coming. An integrated product is coming.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Everything will work itself out eventually. However, I wouldn't recommend purchasing any more resale points (at least until after these program changes formally roll out this fall).
I’d rather have resale units now to use in Vistana. I don’t care much for MVC properties. But I’m wondering, did you MVC sales person tell you “inside” information, and you better buy in now before something big comes and prices sky rocket? Cause that’s what mr Vistana man eluded to me when trying to sell me flex points. It’s not a smart move from a company stand point to be selling current deeds in Vistana only to tell those people two months later they got screwed and need to pay more.

As far as buying more resale, buying mandatory deeds will be just fine as I only want to go to Vistana properties anyway. If I want Aruba ocean club with MVC I’ll deposit in interval and exchange. No kids so I’m flexible on travel dates :banana:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing I heard or saw during my meeting contradicts that. Product enhancements for DC owners are coming. An integrated product is coming.

Can you please let us know what you saw and heard in your meeting? You left some very provocative comments and did not have any concrete story to back it up. I understand you bought some points and might still in the denying mode. I’m very interested to know what you heard in the meeting.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure they will, and that is what Stephen Weisz said, but noone is going to find out anything about that from an Owner update in the next 90 days or any time this year and probably not until well into next year at the very earliest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So, just returned from an enjoyable trip (prefer to not say where) and what I would consider to be the most beneficial 'owner update' I have been to. Very interesting discussion about the ILG acquisition and what changes are coming (or not coming) as a result. We talked about some important dates to remember, such as 2015 and October, 2019 (as examples). Told to expect a couple of significant emails this fall about DC changes coming that many owners have been wanting (as a result of the ILG acquisition). I realize that some folks may take the position that "if their lips were moving, don't believe it". That has often been my perspective as well during past presentations. However, I didn't just hear it, as it would take more than that to get me to buy more points (which I did). Stay tuned. This is about to get really interesting for MVCI owners.
So it seems you saw something in writing but are failing to provide details?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tbh as a Vistana owner I’m not happy about MVG buying us up. I don’t like MVG or MVC. I don’t think they ever did the right thing by their customers. They have only ever made things difficult. Not to mention the MVC resorts aren’t where I want to be, With the exception of Aruba. I’d much rather be at the Westin properties in Mexico, CO and Hawaii. I’ve stayed at the MVC in AZ and I wasn’t too impressed. They can charge me more to enroll my resale units into their program but I’d pass anyway. Here is food for thought though, at an owners update two years ago I was told “we were bought by Marriott , now you have access to all Marriott properties” lines of crapola is their MO. Lol

That’s exactly how I feel. I own both Vistana and Marriott, but I would never want to trade any of my Vistana with Marriott. I just stay at Westin, any Westin is better. I do like Ko Olina and that’s it, I just exchange to it via II or use my ownership. In my next meeting, if sales tries to say we are bought by MVC so you have to buy more, we will have very serious talk and I might just walk out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am sure they will, and that is what Stephen Weisz said, but noone is going to find out anything about that from an Owner update in the next 90 days or any time this year and probably not until well into next year at the very earliest.
I see them lining up any enhancement with the 10 year anniversary of the DC program which would happen in June 2020.