• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Interval International TDI Chart Meaning

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, the charts that show up on the II site with weeks and demand make sense of course. But, what is the number near the top? Looking at California Desert right now, on the II site, it shows at the top TDI 36. That doesn’t seem to correlate with any number in the chart. What exactly is the 36?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I believe that is merely their chart number.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the exact specifics as it relates to how II uses this number in their algorithms valuing deposits, exchanges, and trades, but that number in II you are referring to (i.e. 36) is a ranking out of 100 how much in demand that region or specific area is relative to other regions and how some regions have near 100%+ occupancy demand during their peak seasons.

This overall regional ranking is impacted by how saturated a market is and how many opportunities exist for more supply to be easily added to the market (or not). For example, places like Hilton Head, Marco Island, Virginia Beach, Aruba, etc are either fully or almost fully developed with no real parcels of land suitable for adding significantly to supply (at least as it relates to beachfront property). Whereas the same is not true for places like Orlando, Branson, Arizona, Williamsburg, etc. Those places have some great resorts but the saturation levels are high and the barriers to entry (i.e. adding to supply) are relatively low.

Here are some examples of regions / specific destinations and how they rank in II...

Marco Island - 95
Captiva & Sanibel Island, FL - 95
Virginia Beach - 92
Aruba - 78
Myrtle Beach - 76
North Carolina, OBX - 76
North Carolina, Atlantic Beach area - 76
St. Thomas - 71
California, Southern Coast - 70
Gatlinburg, TN (Smoky & Blue Ridge Mountains) - 68
Jamaica - 56
Utah - 53
Key West - 51
Hilton Head - 50
Ocean City, MD (Mid Atlantic Coast) - 49
New England, Ski Areas - 48
Bahamas - 37
California, Palm Springs and Desert Springs - 36
Las Vegas - 35
Arizona, Sedona - 32
Palm Beach, FL - 30
New England, Coast - 27
Williamsburg - 29
Poconos, PA - 28
Hawaiian Islands - 13
Colorado, Vail - 9
Arizona, Scottsdale - 8
Branson - 7
Orlando - 5

Obviously this is not absolute. The nice or even exceptional resorts in any region will likely always be in demand, especially in peak season. What I think this means is that even the lesser quality resorts might have full occupancy during peak season in some regions or locations (especially the East Coast beach areas).

Almost everything I have seen in the II demand rankings for the various regions seems to make sense from a supply / demand perspective. The only one I can't fully figure out is Hawaii. It seems like it should be higher than a 13, but than again I guess for every Marriott's Maui Ocean Club there seems to be a half dozen smaller resorts in Hawaii that struggle every year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't know the exact specifics as it relates to how II uses this number in their algorithms valuing deposits, exchanges, and trades, but that number in II you are referring to (i.e. 36) is a ranking out of 100 how much in demand that region or specific area is relative to other regions and how some regions have near 100%+ occupancy demand during their peak seasons.

Where did you get this info?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you get this info?
The II catalog explains how the regional ranking is based on historical hotel and resort occupancy rates.

Also some years ago we sat thru a presentation at a resort in Williamsburg, VA and the sales person there (who was surprisingly honest) was using Williamsburg's regional II ranking (29) as an argument why the area, although it didn't have the highest ranking, still made a solid choice for owning there and still have good trading power in II with a summer week (he was comparing Williamsburg's trading value to Orlando, Mexico, Branson, Arizona, Las Vegas, etc). We heard the same thing from Gold Key in Virginia Beach who were huge proponents of II and it was a major component of their sales pitches. And Gold Key was right, a prime summer week in Virginia Beach will rent like a platinum Grande Ocean or Ocean Watch week and pull pretty much anything in a trade. And that is even with Virginia Beach not having anything approaching Marriott or Westin level quality.

As I said this is not an absolute. It's just one factor that determines trading power. There are others in combination with this.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks RL550, the info is believable based on the numbers, what I’ve seen, and some other info. Thanks forvthe info!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This overall regional ranking is impacted by how saturated a market is and how many opportunities exist for more supply to be easily added to the market (or not). For example, places like Hilton Head, Marco Island, Virginia Beach, Aruba, etc are either fully or almost fully developed with no real parcels of land suitable for adding significantly to supply (at least as it relates to beachfront property). Whereas the same is not true for places like Orlando, Branson, Arizona, Williamsburg, etc. Those places have some great resorts but the saturation levels are high and the barriers to entry (i.e. adding to supply) are relatively low.

Here are some examples of regions / specific destinations and how they rank in II...

Marco Island - 95
Captiva & Sanibel Island, FL - 95
Virginia Beach - 92
Aruba - 78
Myrtle Beach - 76
North Carolina, OBX - 76
North Carolina, Atlantic Beach area - 76
St. Thomas - 71
California, Southern Coast - 70
Gatlinburg, TN (Smoky & Blue Ridge Mountains) - 68
Jamaica - 56
Utah - 53
Key West - 51
Hilton Head - 50
Ocean City, MD (Mid Atlantic Coast) - 49
New England, Ski Areas - 48
Bahamas - 37
California, Palm Springs and Desert Springs - 36
Las Vegas - 35
Arizona, Sedona - 32
Palm Beach, FL - 30
New England, Coast - 27
Williamsburg - 29
Poconos, PA - 28
Hawaiian Islands - 13
Colorado, Vail - 9
Arizona, Scottsdale - 8
Branson - 7
Orlando - 5

Obviously this is not absolute. The nice or even exceptional resorts in any region will likely always be in demand, especially in peak season. What I think this means is that even the lesser quality resorts might have full occupancy during peak season in some regions or locations (especially the East Coast beach areas).

Almost everything I have seen in the II demand rankings for the various regions seems to make sense from a supply / demand perspective. The only one I can't fully figure out is Hawaii. It seems like it should be higher than a 13, but than again I guess for every Marriott's Maui Ocean Club there seems to be a half dozen smaller resorts in Hawaii that struggle every year.

I do not believe in this interpretation. Hawaiian Islands -13, while Poconos, PA is 28? Hawaiian Islands is in high demand all year around. Hawaiian Islands would be closer to 100 if that number is used to value the region.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I agree, fairly easy to get into Hawaii most of the year. Even with lockoffs via exchanges. It’s not saying Marriott only. But even Marriotts are available pretty regularly. Points inventory even within 30 days has been available every month since August too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't agree with that interpretation either.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not believe in this interpretation. Hawaiian Islands -13, while Poconos, PA is 28? Hawaiian Islands is in high demand all year around. Hawaiian Islands would be closer to 100 if that number is used to value the region.
This isn't my "interpretation," it's right there in the II catalog. It's based on historical demand and occupancy rates for any specific region. So my general explanation of what those numbers are intended to represent was accurate.

And the more I think about it, while I would agree with you that I would personally rather be in Hawaii vs. the Poconos (who wouldn't?), if you can step back and think about it logically and logistically it does make sense for the most part. For example I have been to the Poconos dozens of times over the years yet I have never been to Hawaii once. Why? Like many on the East Coast it's some combination of location, convenience, and cost. The Poconos are a relatively easy drive from 3 or 4 of the largest urban center populations in the Unites States. It's almost a virtual "Staycation" for those people.

We can be in the Poconos in 2 hours by car while Hawaii for us is a grueling 10-12 hour flight, not including drive and parking times to and from, and not including the security delays and wait times. In fact the number one reason we have never been to Hawaii is that I don't want to invest that amount of time and effort getting there and back unless we can go for 2 weeks, and not being retired that isn't easy to work into my schedule. People can go to the Poconos in the summer for relatively economical family vacation and many go in the winter (in a good snow winter) for the skiing and snowboarding. Again, I am not trying to sing the praises of the Poconos, as I am acutely aware of the resort choices there. I am just making the case for the practical and logistical advantages it enjoys for many over Hawaii.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I agree, fairly easy to get into Hawaii most of the year. Even with lockoffs via exchanges. It’s not saying Marriott only. But even Marriotts are available pretty regularly. Points inventory even within 30 days has been available every month since August too.
Exactly. As you mentioned, the other reality of Hawaii is that I have also seen dozens of listings for peak season weeks at smaller or independent Hawaiian resorts that are routinely available for $1 to $300.

I think owners of high end resorts like Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, etc should not confuse a Hawaiian regional ranking of 13 with suggesting there would be a lack of demand for their specific resorts. The people that travel to Hawaii (or anywhere for that matter) and expect 4 and 5 star accommodations will always want to stay at the best places and be willing to pay for that. I think this is another reason II has added Elite resort rankings, to reflect this fact.

For example, even in Orlando (where I don't think anyone would argue the supply saturation levels) the better properties always fill up first (Marriott, Sheraton, etc, etc). So obviously a regional demand ranking of 5 in Orlando doesn't mean the same thing for Marriott's Grande Vista as it does for say a Legacy Vacation club property.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott is correct. It is a meaningless numerical identifier for each geographical area. It was a major mistake to have made the size and location of that number so prominent.
Many members don't realize they have to scroll down to the bottom of the graph to get the scale from 50 - 150 in steps of 5.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out potential trading power for II and if it's worth paying for a membership just to deposit one week. If I have average resorts, would it be better to deposit something with a higher TDI even if the season isn't ideal? For instance -- would a 77 TDI, week 35 (just outside the red 22-34 week period), be better or worse than 53 TDI, week 52 (red time)? And I assume both of those would be better than an Orlando week 52?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, a higher TDI means the week is in more demand, whether the weather or season is ideal or not. If it’s in more demand, then, it’s better for you as the depositor.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Well, a higher TDI means the week is in more demand, whether the weather or season is ideal or not. If it’s in more demand, then, it’s better for you as the depositor.
When I was looking up the resorts on II, TDI seemed it was just assigned to the area in general. It didn't know what week I was thinking of. Then a little chart popped out to show supply/demand of the area according to weeks of the year. That's why I wondered how a low season higher demand area compared to a high season lower demand area.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Where in the catalog does it say that? Because I think that statement refers to the 50-150 not the area numbers.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, will be looking too when I get home. I just have to say, the numbers make sense though from my experience travelling to many of those places. Could it merely be a coincidence? I suppose.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, that’s not at all what he said. It means that in Boston, you can almost always find a place to stay the way I read what he wrote. In Orlando and Branson, this is certainly true, In Hawaii, this is certainly true. For Marco Island and Aruba, even owners have trouble sometimes (ones I know), etc. In seasonal places like Vail, this is true.

So, the way I read what he wrote is it’s really a is the area overbuilt rating.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out potential trading power for II and if it's worth paying for a membership just to deposit one week. If I have average resorts, would it be better to deposit something with a higher TDI even if the season isn't ideal? For instance -- would a 77 TDI, week 35 (just outside the red 22-34 week period), be better or worse than 53 TDI, week 52 (red time)? And I assume both of those would be better than an Orlando week 52?

Julie:
<<Many members don't realize they have to scroll down to the bottom of the graph to get the scale from 50 - 150 in steps of 5.>>

Your week 35 is just before Labor Day (Aug 31/Sept 1, Sept 2) Look up its TDI graph. Then SCROLL DOWN within that frame. You will see the week number along the left of the graph, and the numbers 50 - 150 along the bottom edge of the graph.

Week 52 almost always has the highest rated TDI for an area

------------------------------------------
#77 is the Oregon Washington coast, week 35 has a TDI of 145
#53 is Utah, week 52 has a TDI of 150 (is this a ski resort?)

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Julie:
<<Many members don't realize they have to scroll down to the bottom of the graph to get the scale from 50 - 150 in steps of 5.>>

Your week 35 is just before Labor Day. Look up it's TDI graph. Then SCROLL DOWN within that frame. You will see the week number along the left of the graph, and the numbers 50 - 150 along the bottom edge of the graph.

Week 52 almost always has the highest rated TDI for an area

That is true of course. But, the answer to the question of is a higher TDI better for the depositor than a low TDI is yes.

For my home resort, week 52 is fairly high. (135), but not as high as late winter / early spring (150). But I have seen that in many places as you say.

I am going to open the II book up when I get home and see if it says it or not as far as the meaning of that top number. No sense trying to figure out any formula. It either does, or it does not.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Julie:

Right. I think we are talking about 2 different numbers here.
1. There is the chart number up at the top of the graph (discussed above). RLS50 says that the chart number refers to an overall regional ranking. That's the first time I've read that.
2. Then there is the number at the very bottom of the chart which goes from 50-150 in steps of 5. That's the relative demand for that particular week from lowest (50) to highest (150). Notice that this number can change from year to year. For example, there may be a different number for Spring 2018 versus Spring 2019 during certain weeks, which I suspect corresponds to when holidays such as Spring break will occur.

You should also realize that the Interval International weeks calendar may differ from your own resort's calendar. The actual II calendar is usually found in the once yearly II booklet that we receive. I have been told that if I am reserving a week at my home resort for deposit to Interval, I should look at the II calendar to get an idea of which dates to reserve. It has happened in the past that I reserved a week which was (for example) week 21 at my home resort but it actually fell within II week 20 and had a slightly different TDI value than week 21. In other words, a Thursday or Friday check-in that was within week 21 in my home resort's calendar actually fell within II's week 20, while the Saturday or Sunday check-in fell within week 21 for both my resort and for II. I'm not sure how big a difference this makes in trading value, however.

The mystery, at least to me, is how II uses these numbers to determine the relative value of our deposits for trading purposes. I've never seen that explained here on TUG (and if it is, maybe someone will direct me to it). I also think that how far in advance you deposit is a third factor that has some bearing. Deposits made well in advance give Interval lots of time to trade that week, but last minute deposits likely have less value to Interval.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mystery, at least to me, is how II uses these numbers to determine the relative value of our deposits for trading purposes. I've never seen that explained here on TUG (and if it is, maybe someone will direct me to it). I also think that how far in advance you deposit is a third factor that has some bearing. Deposits made well in advance give Interval lots of time to trade that week, but last minute deposits likely have less value to Interval.

I wouldn’t think II would ever publish the complete formula. But when you sign into II, right on top of the screen, mine says “The earlier you deposit your week, the more trading power you’ll have”, so, pretty safe to say that’s valid criteria. I know some dislike deposit first, but I always use it for my lockoff as I will never use it myself. So, I deposit it the day I make the reservation, which is the first day possible. That gives me 3 years to use it, and it’s never an issue.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big hole in your theory: new York City has TDI 3.
It seems to me that New York city has occupancy rates way above Orlando most of the year, and the barriers to entry are way greater than Orlando.