• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Hotel Exchange

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
anyone have success with interval hotel exchanges for Gold/Platinum memberships? After doing math, I’d lose my week and all the maint fees that go with it, plus have to pay more money than what I could book it directly with Marriott. Was wondering if anyone found this feature beneficial.

Exchange my one bedroom (lost week and maint fee) + pay additional $2,100 for Westin Cayman Islands

Same room and dates on marriott website is $2,035.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used it once and that is because 1) I used bargain high trading power units so the true cost was better than booking direct and 2) I had way too many deposits.

I haven't found any situation where it was favorable to use high maintenance units like any Marriott. You need a really low maintenance fee combined with good trading power. Even then it is really hard to find good value due to the lack of flexibility in the reservation.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have used it once and that is because 1) I used bargain high trading power units so the true cost was better than booking direct and 2) I had way too many deposits.

I haven't found any situation where it was favorable to use high maintenance units like any Marriott. You need a really low maintenance fee combined with good trading power. Even then it is really hard to find good value due to the lack of flexibility in the reservation.
Any suggestions on high trade power with low maint fee unit?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In some instances it could make sense with point trades (like Hyatt). For example, if you have a 2200 point unit, and your MF's are 1400, you're looking at about .63 per point. The minimum point trade is 260. I found several hotels that I could book for about $110 per night, so for 3 nights my cost would be:

.63 * 260 = about 164

There is a $69 exchange fee, so the total cost would be $233 vs about $330 to book using cash.

I don't know that I'd use it, but there are a few scenarios where it could make sense.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In some instances it could make sense with point trades (like Hyatt). For example, if you have a 2200 point unit, and your MF's are 1400, you're looking at about .63 per point. The minimum point trade is 260. I found several hotels that I could book for about $110 per night, so for 3 nights my cost would be:

.63 * 260 = about 164

There is a $69 exchange fee, so the total cost would be $233 vs about $330 to book using cash.

I don't know that I'd use it, but there are a few scenarios where it could make sense.
I’ll have to do more research. It seemed the few tests I ran, it didn’t seem that great to do. Especially when the “copay” was more than the hotel room was online booking direct with the hotel.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I’ll have to do more research. It seemed the few tests I ran, it didn’t seem that great to do. Especially when the “copay” was more than the hotel room was online booking direct with the hotel.
The hotel deals rarely are good. A good is close to a break even. I find that your best bet is to keep reducing the nights until you get to just over $0 in additional fees. So if 3 nights are $0 copay and 4 nights are $68 copay stop there and then compare that with using the best price you can find for the remaining days.

I believe the II hotel exchange fee is something like $159. When they first introduced it, it was at an introductory rate of $79. So you need to keep that in mind when determining costs.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The hotel deals rarely are good. A good is close to a break even. I find that your best bet is to keep reducing the nights until you get to just over $0 in additional fees. So if 3 nights are $0 copay and 4 nights are $68 copay stop there and then compare that with using the best price you can find for the remaining days.

I believe the II hotel exchange fee is something like $159. When they first introduced it, it was at an introductory rate of $79. So you need to keep that in mind when determining costs.
It may be good when you cannot find anything to exchange to and you’re about to lose the deposited week or need to do something with the week before losing it then the extra cost may be better than losing the week completely.