• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval asking for a deposit

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, every time i call Interval i am told that i can deposit my Hilton Craigendarroch week, i almost feel like they really want me to do it. Because i am an HGVC member, i have no reason to deposit it really, i would rather use the points.

They never asked me the same for any of my Vistana weeks. I did not pay any attention to this detail at the beginning but i am starting to wonder if this has any significance given:

- this is a Hilton property, maybe they want to stick it to RCI or whatever. Maybe they hope for a relationship with Hilton one day. Why not!
- there is no Craigandarroch currently available in II
- I own a New Years week, the busiest time of the year at that resort
- people complain that II does not have much in Europe, maybe they want to have more inventory there.

Maybe they have an OGS for my week and they are happy to match?

Am i reading too much into this?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's hard to say, but regardless of their reasons for wanting your deposit, the only thing that matters is what works the best for you.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say, but regardless of their reasons for wanting your deposit, the only thing that matters is what works the best for you.
You are right.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They may have some type of arrangement where they don't solicit for Vistana deposits.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton craigendorrach is in Interval. I did get a match but couldn’t use it.

es3chico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your reading too much into it. Reps are required to ask at least one time for a deposit if they see one is available. When they click on open weeks the resort your talking about is probably the first one on the list. They should be telling you everything you have available and asking you if you want to deposit any of your weeks for 2018, 2019, and 2020. Deposits are how II makes thier money and stay in business so if you have something available they will ask for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
by the way, does it make any difference in trading power for an OGS whether you choose deposit first or request first?

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
by the way, does it make any difference in trading power for an OGS whether you choose deposit first or request first?
Yes, trading power with II is not static
Ii assigns your timeshare a trading power that changes with availability, and all the timeshares that are available for exchange (which someone else has deposited) have a changing trade power as well.
Ii gives a fixed trade power to your timeshare when you give up control of it to II, in other words, when you deposit your timeshare. However, II maintains a floating trade value required for someone else to get that deposit, depending on how sought after is that week.
So, all things equal, you would get more trade power from your timeshare with a "deposit first" exchange request than from a "request first" request, because you'd be depositing your timeshare earlier. Depositing your timeshare earlier is associated with a higher trade power, according to II.
The problem with that is that the timeshare you request for an exchange has a minimum trade power required for you to get the exchange, and this trade power required to get your requested exchange fluctuates over time, so you are never quite sure if your deposit has enough trade power for an exchange with II.
So my recommendation is to always do a "request first" exchange request, that way you are guaranteed to get an exchange you'd be happy with prior to giving II your timeshare.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, trading power with II is not static
Ii assigns your timeshare a trading power that changes with availability, and all the timeshares that are available for exchange (which someone else has deposited) have a changing trade power as well.
Ii gives a fixed trade power to your timeshare when you give up control of it to II, in other words, when you deposit your timeshare. However, II maintains a floating trade value required for someone else to get that deposit, depending on how sought after is that week.
So, all things equal, you would get more trade power from your timeshare with a "deposit first" exchange request than from a "request first" request, because you'd be depositing your timeshare earlier. Depositing your timeshare earlier is associated with a higher trade power, according to II.
The problem with that is that the timeshare you request for an exchange has a minimum trade power required for you to get the exchange, and this trade power required to get your requested exchange fluctuates over time, so you are never quite sure if your deposit has enough trade power for an exchange with II.
So my recommendation is to always do a "request first" exchange request, that way you are guaranteed to get an exchange you'd be happy with prior to giving II your timeshare.
Thank you for the info. It makes sense that you would gain trading power by depositing first since they would want to encourage as many weeks deposited in the system. Yet, their customer service agents told me that it does not matter, the trading power is the same. I am not sure if it is a Vistana arrangement.
Concerning the actual fluctuation of trading power, it is rather erratic in my experience.

First, the trading power always seem to be highest after i log in. If i switch the units i use for searches a couple of times, the trading power seems to drop significantly. The only possible explanation, and assuming that there is one, is that they want to discourage automatic searches and the system confuses my multiple searches with automatic ones. If i log out and log back in the trading power is restored. I am not an IT guy so I am really speculating.

Second, the studio sometimes has a higher trading power than the 1 bedroom at the same resort, same season (part of the same lockoff). It does not make sense. Sometimes it is the opposite, as it should be, sometimes it has the same TP.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Thank you for the info. It makes sense that you would gain trading power by depositing first since they would want to encourage as many weeks deposited in the system. Yet, their customer service agents told me that it does not matter, the trading power is the same. I am not sure if it is a Vistana arrangement.
Concerning the actual fluctuation of trading power, it is rather erratic in my experience.

First, the trading power always seem to be highest after i log in. If i switch the units i use for searches a couple of times, the trading power seems to drop significantly. The only possible explanation, and assuming that there is one, is that they want to discourage automatic searches and the system confuses my multiple searches with automatic ones. If i log out and log back in the trading power is restored. I am not an IT guy so I am really speculating.

Second, the studio sometimes has a higher trading power than the 1 bedroom at the same resort, same season (part of the same lockoff). It does not make sense. Sometimes it is the opposite, as it should be, sometimes it has the same TP.

I’m new to using Interval- how do you see what your trading power is? Is it a number? Can you only see it after you deposit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m new to using Interval- how do you see what your trading power is? Is it a number? Can you only see it after you deposit?

Actually I am a new member myself. I have several weeks enrolled, i just search the same list of properties using different possible deposits. Sometimes the availability does change fast for some resorts so it is hard to tell. Other times, is is rather stable. In this case, if i see less dates for a resort (or no date at all) compared to a search done 2 minutes before i assume that the trading power is lower.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Actually I am a new member myself. I have several weeks enrolled, i just search the same list of properties using different possible deposits. Sometimes the availability does change fast for some resorts so it is hard to tell. Other times, is is rather stable. In this case, if i see less dates for a resort (or no date at all) compared to a search done 2 minutes before i assume that the trading power is lower.

Thanks for the info! I thought there was some actual number I was missing.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval's online search can be very glitchy. Here is the current glitch I've noticed.
Perform a search on a single resort MCP. Get a large number of results, more than 3. You have to click on the "more dates" to see the rest.
Now switch deposits by clicking on Select a different Unit to another deposit which should see a similar number of weeks.
Go back to the display of the results. Press "more dates". Almost every time, I see only 4 weeks. That's how I know I need to re-execute the search one more time under this new deposit, and then all the appropriate weeks will appear.
Every time you see only 4 weeks, be suspicious.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval's online search can be very glitchy. Here is the current glitch I've noticed.
Perform a search on a single resort MCP. Get a large number of results, more than 3. You have to click on the "more dates" to see the rest.
Now switch deposits by clicking on Select a different Unit to another deposit which should see a similar number of weeks.
Go back to the display of the results. Press "more dates". Almost every time, I see only 4 weeks. That's how I know I need to re-execute the search one more time under this new deposit, and then all the appropriate weeks will appear.
Every time you see only 4 weeks, be suspicious.
Rather than do all that ( which is time consuming) i do a request first on going search (ogs).
I do request first ongoing searches with several Exchange companies (Ii, rci, sfx, dae) and the first one that matches up gets my deposit. I then cancel the other request first searches.
As some of you have discovered the search engine used by exchange companies are glitchy and the glitches change over time so you can never be quite sure how the system works in the background. Also asking employees how their matching system works is usually no help because most people that work at the exchange companies have only been there a few months or have no interest in learning how the system works or have no interest in telling you how the system really works.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rather than do all that ( which is time consuming) i do a request first on going search (ogs).
I do request first ongoing searches with several Exchange companies (Ii, rci, sfx, dae) and the first one that matches up gets my deposit. I then cancel the other request first searches.
As some of you have discovered the search engine used by exchange companies are glitchy and the glitches change over time so you can never be quite sure how the system works in the background. Also asking employees how their matching system works is usually no help because most people that work at the exchange companies have only been there a few months or have no interest in learning how the system works or have no interest in telling you how the system really works.
I agree with you, OGS is the way to go. Because I am a new member i like to understand (to the extend I can) what is going on under the hood but i do not think that I will continue to do this for long