• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interested in buying cheap

goodlifeguide

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to timeshares, 36 years old. I am a writer and travel (not as much as I'd like). I am looking for legit opportunities to buy a timeshare that I can I guess use points or trade. I do go to L.A., New Orleans and Denver regularly and I live in the Scottsdale area and I try to visit Paris every other year. So, I suppose any of these would be useful to visit and good to trad. I am looking for advice on not getting scammed. I see that RIC and II are good companies, but what about buying used. Where do I look, are the ebay $1 bids a scam. I understand your stuck with the annual fees, is that why they are essentially giving these away?

Any advice is appreciated!
Shelly :rolleyes:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and Welcome to TUG! :hi:

RCI and II are not timeshare companies - they are exchange companies - you can't buy timeshares from them.

The reason there are so many timeshare for $1 is the economy - timeshares are a luxury - when you are having financial problems, you unload your luxuries. In this economy, many people cannot afford to vacation, or pay maintenance fees.

There is no "best" timeshare, but here are some questions for you to answer that will help you and us narrow it down. If you click the QUOTE button, the questions will open up in a new window where you can answer them:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

:ponder:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The low prices on Ebay are legit, But not a particular bargain. Thats what they are worth. Know what you are bidding on. Some of these sellers deal with so many timeshares, they often dont know what they have. and make mistakes in their ads (I have used that to my advantage more than once, buying something of real value for the proverbial dollar)

There are several threads here on TUG that will explain where the ebay inventory comes from and how these guys can sell so cheaply and still make a ton of money

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
eBay All The Way.

Where do I look, are the ebay $1 bids a scam.
eBay timeshares with $1 starting bids are for real.

Not all eBay timeshares listed at $1 sell for $1. Some go up, a little or a lot. Others don't sell at all -- not even for a buck. (Go figure.)

Over the past 10 years (i.e., since we got into timeshares), we've bought four -- 4 -- timeshares via eBay, all for somewhat more than $1 but for nickels at most on the full-freight dollar.

The most important thing to understand about timeshares is Nothing That The Timeshare Companies Sell At Full Freight Is Worth The Money.

Buy timeshares resale (or get'm el freebo). Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing as full freight, or the equivalent, or something even better.

Keep in mind also that There Is No Such Thing As A New Timeshare.

No matter how much or how little you pay for a timeshare, by the time you show up & check in other people will already have been staying previously right there in your very own unit. That's used-used-used any way you shake it, & that reality illustrates why paying new full-freight prices for something that flat-out is NOT new makes no sense at all.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just post the name of the destination club? Well that is, unless you are getting paid a referral or commission...

I don't trust people named Seth, Thats my name and i'd never buy a thing off myself! :cool:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can bid/buy on Ebay. Or, save yourself some time and cruise the Bargain Basement here. Some are free. Some only want the fees covered.

Scottsdale and NOLA have a lot of timeshares. Los Angeles has nothing, but there are some properties in Anaheim and coastal Orange County. There are places in Paris, but I actually wouldn't buy out of the country, just so I don't have to keep up with currency changes, law changes, etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why wouldn't you just post the name of the destination club? Well that is, unless you are getting paid a referral or commission...

I don't trust people named Seth, Thats my name and i'd never buy a thing off myself! :cool:

He is promoting it - he has Ads all over the internet. :rolleyes:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smells like shill to me (Doc Seth's orignal Post)

He is - on 2nd thought I went ahead and banned him - it's the only reason he's here.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to timeshares, 36 years old. I am a writer and travel (not as much as I'd like). I am looking for legit opportunities to buy a timeshare that I can I guess use points or trade. I do go to L.A., New Orleans and Denver regularly and I live in the Scottsdale area and I try to visit Paris every other year. So, I suppose any of these would be useful to visit and good to trad. I am looking for advice on not getting scammed. I see that RIC and II are good companies, but what about buying used. Where do I look, are the ebay $1 bids a scam. I understand your stuck with the annual fees, is that why they are essentially giving these away?

Shelly, I can't think of any timeshare exchange or points outfits that have resorts in L.A, N.O, Denver, and Paris. First, timeshares tend to be in resort areas, not cities. People use hotels to stay in cities for the most part. There are a few urban TSs in NYC, San Fran, Scottsdale that I can think of, but they are not ubiquitous.

That is not to say that you can't travel using timeshares for lodging, just not as easily as calling a hotel for a reservation. Generally a good TS needs to be booked a year or more in advance- especially in high demand places like Hawaii, S. Cal beaches, Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach, and most resort areas during school holiday periods. That's when families travel together.

We like to say here on TUG that the happiest owners are those who own where they want to stay half or more of the time. Within driving distance.

You might accomplish what you envision, but it would take more than one ownership, and with that more annual fees.

TSs can be bought from eBay, but you need to study what you are buying. There are a lot of off-season weeks out there, and who wants to go to a ski resort in April. There is no better 'school' about all things timeshare than TUG. Believe me, we have made- and learned from- and written about every mistake that can be made.

So if you want to be a little serious about attacking the learning curve, hang out here for a while- 3-4 months oughtta do it. Read the stickies for newbies and exchanging and any systems that interest you. Ask questions. You will be a happy owner at quite low cost. Rush in, and you can be an unhappy high cost owner of something that won't give you good vacations and you'll end up having to give it away.

Best wishes and welcome!

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shelly, I can't think of any timeshare exchange or points outfits that have resorts in L.A, N.O, Denver, and Paris. First, timeshares tend to be in resort areas, not cities. People use hotels to stay in cities for the most part. There are a few urban TSs in NYC, San Fran, Scottsdale that I can think of, but they are not ubiquitous.

Best wishes and welcome!

Jim Ricks

Maybe a High point value RCI Points Resort might be the best way for him to go?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a High point value RCI Points Resort might be the best way for him to go?

Maybe, but there still aren't RCI resorts in those cities that I'm aware of and those were examples of where she wants to go. It's true that a big RCI points bundle has flexibility, but you can't book where there are no resorts. It would be nice if you could use RCI points in hotel chains or hotels.com, but you can't.

When I'm Emperor, I'll make it so.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but there still aren't RCI resorts in those cities that I'm aware of and those were examples of where she wants to go. It's true that a big RCI points bundle has flexibility, but you can't book where there are no resorts. It would be nice if you could use RCI points in hotel chains or hotels.com, but you can't.

When I'm Emperor, I'll make it so.

You got my "vote?"

Actually in theory you can use up to half of your RCI Points towards hotel stays with "Points Partners" if you are a platinum member. If you are not Platinum it is 25% of your Points

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you like to go, like maybe New Orleans. Trading should be secondary.

Ebay is the bargain basement of timeshare, where you can get lower prices than elsewhere. The reason is the PCC's deliberately flooding that part of the market to drive down prices. There may be places where the overall market price had dropped that low, but I do not know of any offhand. But as a buyer, you should take advantage of it. Ebay is the place to buy timeshare cheap.

Reaction score
We like to say here on TUG that the happiest owners are those who own where they want to stay half or more of the time. Within driving distance.
That's definitely my wife and I. When her family came down and stayed at Orange Lakes (West Village), we stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It was enjoyable, and only 45 miles from our home!

TS

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Really?

The reason is the PCC's deliberately flooding that part of the market to drive down prices. Ebay is the place to buy timeshare cheap.

Are you suggesting that the PCCs are putting up auctions for units they don't own?

I believe that they have many many units to get rid of and we're seeing the effects of supply and demand at work, not deliberate flooding.

A word of warning to the OP-in most cases you get what you pay for and you may have trouble getting rid of a unit you no longer want.

There are savvy people who can pick up some real good deals on eBay.

I bought 3 units on eBay 6 years ago and can tell you the sales were legitimate. Read the auction carefully, and print it out. Make sure you're bidding on what you really want. Look for things like annual use or something different, points and point system, float or non float, use week, are MFs annual or different etc.

Some units get biannual usage but pay MFs every year. Read the auctions carefully and if you need to, ask questions here on TUG.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The term ''flooding the market'' does not mean trying to sell something you do not own. It means put a lot of what you do own out on the market to drive down the price. I am using the term in that correct context.

If the PCC's objective was getting the best price for their inventory, they would use more diverse outlets not dump most of it in one place. eBay is a big part of their ''timeshare is worthless'' spiel so they have a vested interest in keeping the price knocked down on eBay. I suspect that will continue as long as there are PCC's, or until the state AG's succeed in putting those slimeballs out of business.

Are you suggesting that the PCCs are putting up auctions for units they don't own?

I believe that they have many many units to get rid of and we're seeing the effects of supply and demand at work, not deliberate flooding.

A word of warning to the OP-in most cases you get what you pay for and you may have trouble getting rid of a unit you no longer want.

There are savvy people who can pick up some real good deals on eBay.

I bought 3 units on eBay 6 years ago and can tell you the sales were legitimate. Read the auction carefully, and print it out. Make sure you're bidding on what you really want. Look for things like annual use or something different, points and point system, float or non float, use week, are MFs annual or different etc.

Some units get biannual usage but pay MFs every year. Read the auctions carefully and if you need to, ask questions here on TUG.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The term ''flooding the market'' does not mean trying to sell something you do not own. It means put a lot of what you do own out on the market to drive down the price. I am using the term in that correct context.

If the PCC's objective was getting the best price for their inventory, they would use more diverse outlets not dump most of it in one place. eBay is a big part of their ''timeshare is worthless'' spiel so they have a vested interest in keeping the price knocked down on eBay. I suspect that will continue as long as there are PCC's, or until the state AG's succeed in putting those slimeballs out of business.

I'm still not with you on this.

It's pretty much like a garage sale, you can price your items so they sell or you can price them so you can try to get a better price, but may have to keep trying to sell them over and over again.

Not all TSs on eBay go for a dollar but many go unpurchased with even a minimum bid of $1. If they can't get a dollar on eBay, I'm not sure there is a more diverse outlet that they can or should use to try to get more.

I still don't think this is a conspiracy to keep the prices down. I think it's a reflection of what may timeshares are really worth.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In addition

I think the cheap prices on eBay have helped all TS owners. I myself purchased 3 units on ebay for a total of $12.50. Because of this I have been paying MFs at all three units for the past 6 years. If I did not buy those units they may very well have sat vacant for these past 6 years and then who would be paying those MFs? The other owners, thats who.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that will continue as long as there are PCC's, or until the state AG's succeed in putting those slimeballs out of business.

The PCC's have nothing to do with the low prices. The people who cannot afford the maintenance fees are driving the low prices. There are owners trying to give away their timeshares on TUG. Nothing to do with a PCC. Rid the world of the PCC's and you will still have cheap timeshare resales.

Timeshares are worthless because the market says so.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Where do I look, are the ebay $1 bids a scam. I understand your stuck with the annual fees, is that why they are essentially giving these away?

The eBay ads are mostly legit, but there are some I consider to be scammers. For example, I wouldn't buy anything from Timeshare Warehouse, personally, but others have had better luck.

Yes, you're stuck with the MF's until you give away or sell your week.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
but what about buying used. Where do I look, are the ebay $1 bids a scam. I understand your stuck with the annual fees, is that why they are essentially giving these away?

Yes, you're stuck with the MF's until you give away or sell your week.

There is a reason alot(Not all) Timeshares on Ebay are selling for $1 and some Not even selling for that little...It's because they are Almost impossible to give away or sell....

First thing to know before buying a Timeshare, or at the very least something to always keep in the back of your mind....You may NEVER, be able to get rid of it...Death maybe the only way out and even then, unless you teach ALL your family members to disclaim it, that may not even get it out of your families name!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a reason alot(Not all) Timeshares on Ebay are selling for $1 and some Not even selling for that little...It's because they are Almost impossible to give away or sell....

First thing to know before buying a Timeshare, or at the very least something to always keep in the back of your mind....You may NEVER, be able to get rid of it...Death maybe the only way out and even then, unless you teach ALL your family members to disclaim it, that may not even get it out of your families name!

Ride - Some timeshares are impossible to give away or sell, but not most of them.

Most of the people who come here and complain that they can't give their timeshare away either have made little or no effort, or they expect to sell it for far more than it is worth. Most of them expect someone like the BOD or developer to offer to rescue them.

Like all financial planning, everyone needs to plan for their estate while they are still alive. If you don't - you have no one to blame but yourself... ;)

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride - Some timeshares are impossible to give away or sell, but not most of them.

It's always best to be prepared for the worst...To be honest, i haven't done much yet to prepare in case i can't sell or give away my TimeShares before i die, but if i don't think atleast once a day "you know, you may never be able to get rid of these things" i don't feel like i've done anything at all! :cool:

I'm pretty sure my two weeks ARE in the category of 'impossible to give away or sell' but if they aren't i like to think they are...that way i will try harder to be prepared!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's always best to be prepared for the worst...To be honest, i haven't done much yet to prepare in case i can't sell or give away my TimeShares before i die, but if i don't think atleast once a day "you know, you may never be able to get rid of these things" i don't feel like i've done anything at all! :cool:

I'm pretty sure my two weeks ARE in the category of 'impossible to give away or sell' but if they aren't i like to think they are...that way i will try harder to be prepared!

It's hard to say if they will have any value in 40+ years, but right now I think you could give both of them away - especially if you paid the fees, and threw in a year's maintenance fees.