• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Incentive for attending MVC presentations

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
we have declined going to any presentations for the last 3/5 years. Just got a call fir our upcoming trip to our HR Aruba Ocean Club . Are 375 DP or 200 in restaurant vouchers a good incentive to give up 90 minutes of our time?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
we have declined going to any presentations for the last 3/5 years. Just got a call fir our upcoming trip to our HR Aruba Ocean Club . Are 375 DP or 200 in restaurant vouchers a good incentive to give up 90 minutes of our time?

NAncee, the $200 in restaurant certificates is worth it there. There is a great variety of restaurants and some tour and activity vendors too that you can use them at. Aqua Grill is one of our favorites that takes the certificates and they have a great fixed price dinner that is excellent. The $200 would cover 4 people for that dinner deal there. Last time we did the tour we received $175 there.
Enjoy a nice dinner (or 2) on Marriott for your 90 minutes of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would not do the 375 DP. 200 in vouchers is ok, for 90 minutes, that's $133/hour. Which I consider pretty good if you are ok with sitting and mostly ignoring.

I usually take MR points as those are the most valuable to me for free flights overseas. Takes a lot of presentations, but, worth it for me at least.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We take MRP, as Steve said we find them more useful. Also, our favorite restaurants in Aruba are not included in the voucher.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
I would not do the 375 DP. 200 in vouchers is ok, for 90 minutes, that's $133/hour. Which I consider pretty good if you are ok with sitting and mostly ignoring.

I usually take MR points as those are the most valuable to me for free flights overseas. Takes a lot of presentations, but, worth it for me at least.
Every time we go to a Marriott resort we're asked if we want to attend an "Owners Update". This January they invited us to another one. We told them we had just done one in Mau in December. They said there was a lot of new information on the new Westin merger. There was nothing different they just wanted us to buy more points. We declined thier offer and they gave us $200 in gift cards. Can't wait for them to clarify the changes with SPG etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We received 2 $100 AMEX gift cards for the presentation at Shadow Ridge for 120mins door to door. $50 an hour EA isn't too bad.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
The one and only time we’ve ever attended a presentation was at the Aruba Ocean Club. This was before we ever owned a Marriott property, many years ago. We told them after 30 minutes that we had no intention of buying another timeshare and we literally sat there and stairred each other down until our 90 minutes were up before they would give us our restaurant coupons and let us go! I understand the game better now but there’s got to be much more in ncentives before we do it again. That will be in May at MOW. But, this time we are getting a 4 day/3 night free stay out of it. That’s a good enough incentive for us to attend the game.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Gee, now I feel cheated. We only received $150 in AmEx gift cards for our 90 minutes at Ocean Pointe last December. Personally I prefer a debit card I can spend wherever I want. I've been burnt to many times by vouchers for restaurants I'm not that interested in. I want to see the list first, then I'll make a decision.

Most of the time we skip these things but, every now and again we'll be traveling with friends. When we combine their gift cards with our gift cards, as a group we can usually go to a restaurant we ordinarily wouldn't want to afford. Makes for a nice evening out on our last night of vacation.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
We are not Marriott owners, but have been to several Marriott resorts on exchange or getaway. We have never been asked to attend a sales presentation. Is this by design?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
We are attending a presentation in Phuket on Feb. 23rd with the incentive being 3 nights / 4 days at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach. Coming in a day early using points then after the presentation incentive moving over to the Phuket Beach Resort for 2 weeks. My wife and I actually enjoy attending the presentations if we can get 20,000 or more MRP's. As a chairman member with our current weeks and points allocation we rarely ever have a presentation go over 60 minutes. I just tell them I'm still working, have more MVCI inventory than I can currently use due to vacation limitations, give vacations to family / friends (3 weeks in 2018) and would be interested in 5 years. I'm a planner so we can tell them when and where we will be in 2019 / 2020. Works every time!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We are attending a presentation in Phuket on Feb. 23rd with the incentive being 3 nights / 4 days at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach. Coming in a day early using points then after the presentation incentive moving over to the Phuket Beach Resort for 2 weeks. My wife and I actually enjoy attending the presentations if we can get 20,000 or more MRP's. As a chairman member with our current weeks and points allocation we rarely ever have a presentation go over 60 minutes. I just tell them I'm still working, have more MVCI inventory than I can currently use due to vacation limitations, give vacations to family / friends (3 weeks in 2018) and would be interested in 5 years. I'm a planner so we can tell them when and where we will be in 2019 / 2020. Works every time!
While I don't have quite the same portfolio, this is our view as well. If we can get a decent ($200+) debit card or 30K MR points we'll sit through it. I have the same objections to their sales pitch and there's really nothing they can say to "I'm already tapped out for vacation time and cost" and that I maximize the value of what I have. We're planning a jaunt to Ko Olina in 2020 so I might buy a preview package if the numbers work.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For our upcoming trip to Desert Springs, they are only offering $100K visa card, 15K Marriott Bonvoy points or 2 rounds of golf. We normally would not go for $100 or 15K but 2 rounds of golf is somewhat valuable to us so we accepted it.

Last edited:

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
For our upcoming trip to Desert Springs, they are only offering $100K visa card, 15K Marriott Bonvoy points or 2 rounds of golf. We normally would not go for $100K or 15K but 2 rounds of golf is somewhat valuable to us so we accepted it.

Received 3 rounds of golf in April 2017 for a presentation while staying a week at Desert Springs Villas II for Coachella. Looks like they are cutting back or it could be seasonal. Personally I would pass on the $100K visa card or 15K in points. Not worth the hour of our time.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
For our upcoming trip to Desert Springs, they are only offering $100K visa card, 15K Marriott Bonvoy points or 2 rounds of golf. We normally would not go for $100K or 15K but 2 rounds of golf is somewhat valuable to us so we accepted it.
I believe your Visa card should be “sans K”.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They could have reduced the amount offered because we just picked up 30K Bonvoy points in Sept 2018 at Newport Coast.

We are bringing friends with us and they are also getting the same offer. The guy golfs but not the wife. So it is also valuable to them.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could have reduced the amount offered because we just picked up 30K Bonvoy points in Sept 2018 at Newport Coast.

We are bringing friends with us and they are also getting the same offer. The guy golfs but not the wife. So it is also valuable to them.

I have had success before saying I was not interested in attending for that number of points (or dollars), not enough incentive, and have had them raise it several times. I'll see what I can get at DSV when we are both there. :)

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Are 375 DP or 200 in restaurant vouchers a good incentive to give up 90 minutes of our time?

I promised I would not do any more presentations for less than $200 but was sucked in when they offered $250 cash money at Grande Vista. Of course I find out later that someone else managed to finagle a cool $300 during the same week so it could be wise to hold out for more. We are not insistent enough to get out in 90 minutes so we understand it will usually be more like 2 hours.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I believe that 375 DP points is actually worth a bit more than $200.

Reactions: jme

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that 375 DP points is actually worth a bit more than $200.

Yes, it is, if you can use them. I would take the cash over points though, I would take MR points first.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Our recent incentive at Lakeshore was $250 gift card or 30k MR Pts. We haven't done a presentation in a couple years, got burned out. Normally chose MR Pts, but with further devaluation after changes this year...that 30k MR Pts isn't much. We chose $250 instead, which is not bad for 90 mins. Unfortunately, we didn't learn much new in this presentation. Normally we pickup some small tidbit of value, but didn't really this time. :/

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we have been doing a couple every year and hence we got a lower offer this time around. 2 rounds of golf is a round of golf for each of us and we have to pay for cart fees. Since I do not want to golf more than 2 times a week, we get to pick and choose to play at another place.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can any incentive points be banked? My problem with taking them is generally by now, I already have the entire years points planned, which I do. So, them giving me points, if I cannot bank them, no way to use those points really. Already have flights, etc.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
We received 2 $100 AMEX gift cards for the presentation at Shadow Ridge for 120mins door to door. $50 an hour EA isn't too bad.
Be careful about the $100 vouchers/ gift cards; most places have been giving Simon gift cards which are good at most restaurants but a week ago at Shadow Ridge we receive Marriott gift cards which are only good at marriott resorts.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
We received 2 $100 Simon Amex Debit Gift Cards. I used 1 on TeeOff to play golf and the other one was used on an online purchase. Worked good.