• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In what decade were you a teenager?

In what decade were you a teenager?

• 1930's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1940's

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • 1950's

Votes: 83 8.4%
  • 1960's

Votes: 270 27.4%
  • 1970's

Votes: 307 31.2%
  • 1980's

Votes: 221 22.4%
  • 1990's

Votes: 82 8.3%
  • 2000’s

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 2010’s

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It looks like the 70's have taken the lead over the 60's!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
70's. God I loved my Trans Am with Boston blaring on the stereo

Sent from my Kindle...pls forgive errors and brevity

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
I was teenager in the 80`s. I graduated HS in '89. I didn't come into my own until the 90s.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Became a teenager in 99 but spent most of my teen years in the 2000's.
Wow! You may be one of the youngest Tuggers!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Grad high school in 89.

wik004

Reaction score
Jackson Browne lyrics:

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up 101
I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on

In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own
I don't know when that road turned, into the road I'm on

Running on, running on empty
Running on, running blind
Running on, running into the sun
But I'm running behind

This is 2015 and Jackson Browne is 66 years old and 67 on October 9.
So JB's teenage years puts him squarely in 1960's.

Me, when I was running up 101, I was 17 and it was 1979 so that makes me 1970's.

Jackson Browne.... What a musical genius poet and a gift to humanity....

Last edited:

luvNMB52

TUG Member
Reaction score
split between 60's and 70's

I turned 13 in 1965 and graduated high school in 1970 so had a few more years as a teenager in 60's. Always liked 60's music the best.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
70's!! Carefree time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a teen in the 1940's

Iife was so different then. We lived in a tenement building in the South Bronx of New York City. Most of residents were immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Germany, and Sweden. Almost all of the women were "stay at home Moms". It was was a stigma for any woman to work outside the home unless they were a teacher or nurse.

In the warm weather, the Moms (and some grandmothers) would bring chairs down from their apartment and sit in front of the buildings watching the children play. If any one of the kids "got out of order" the mother sitting closest to the situation would jump up and deal with it, even if the real mother was close by.

At that time there were no cars in this working class area so the kids would play in the street. They would erect make shift basketball hoops, and set up a crude sprinkler systems from the fire hydrants, and play "tag" and knock each other down.

We gals would set up tables and do knitting and painting and play card games, etc...We used to look over at the loud, sweaty, wild boys and say "OMG" will I have to marry one of those idiots some day.

My parents were the first in our neighborhood to own a car, albiet an old run down jalopy. On the weekends in the summer they would pack us in the car and TRUNK!! and drive around picking up our aunts and uncles and cousins and dogs--you name it, and we had to graciously welcome them all even if they were smelly boys.

We would spend the day at the beach or at picnic grounds where the Moms cooked all the food, and cleaned up the mess after it, and we gals played tag and other games and did some knitting, while the men listened to the ball game from the car radio.

One time a young boy, about 10 years old, piled into the car with us. We had so many cousins that we didn't notice that he was not "one of the clan".

When we drove back home that evening and "unloaded" everyone in front of their buildings, we wound up with one boy who didn't know where he lived.
And my parents realized that they had never seen him before. We had no telephones at that time so my Dad drove to the Police station and explained the situation. My sister and I were given lemonade and Dad had a beer with the Captain. And then we went home. I hope the police found the the stow-away's family.

homeis

Reaction score
As a teeenager in the 90ies I was glued to the TV. I remember lots of MTV, the X-Files, then getting into David Lynch movies through Twin Peaks!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Damn Math & Statistics - I was 13 in 1947 & 19 in 1953 - (I went with 40's, but ???)

How the world has changed - a tugger used to be the one who dipped a girl's braids in the inkwell

I was a child of the '60s. What an exciting time to be a teenager.

Carrie Palmer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nil
In another post someone suggested that most Tuggers were teenagers in the 1950's. The purpose of this poll is to determine when most Tuggers were teenagers.

If you became a teenager at the end of a decade--such as someone who turned 13 in 1959--count the decade in which you had the most teenage years. So, a 13-year old in 1959 would have been a teenager for more years in the 1960's than the 1950's.

Here are the decades:

30's
40's
50's
60's
70's
80's
90's
I was in the 90s

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
All my teen years were in the 50's, the greatest decade of all time because we had the king and some other great things.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a teen in the 1940's

Iife was so different then. We lived in a tenement building in the South Bronx of New York City. Most of residents were immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Germany, and Sweden. Almost all of the women were "stay at home Moms". It was was a stigma for any woman to work outside the home unless they were a teacher or nurse.

In the warm weather, the Moms (and some grandmothers) would bring chairs down from their apartment and sit in front of the buildings watching the children play. If any one of the kids "got out of order" the mother sitting closest to the situation would jump up and deal with it, even if the real mother was close by.

At that time there were no cars in this working class area so the kids would play in the street. They would erect make shift basketball hoops, and set up a crude sprinkler systems from the fire hydrants, and play "tag" and knock each other down.

We gals would set up tables and do knitting and painting and play card games, etc...We used to look over at the loud, sweaty, wild boys and say "OMG" will I have to marry one of those idiots some day.

My parents were the first in our neighborhood to own a car, albiet an old run down jalopy. On the weekends in the summer they would pack us in the car and TRUNK!! and drive around picking up our aunts and uncles and cousins and dogs--you name it, and we had to graciously welcome them all even if they were smelly boys.

We would spend the day at the beach or at picnic grounds where the Moms cooked all the food, and cleaned up the mess after it, and we gals played tag and other games and did some knitting, while the men listened to the ball game from the car radio.

One time a young boy, about 10 years old, piled into the car with us. We had so many cousins that we didn't notice that he was not "one of the clan".

When we drove back home that evening and "unloaded" everyone in front of their buildings, we wound up with one boy who didn't know where he lived.
And my parents realized that they had never seen him before. We had no telephones at that time so my Dad drove to the Police station and explained the situation. My sister and I were given lemonade and Dad had a beer with the Captain. And then we went home. I hope the police found the the stow-away's family.

OMG. I grew up in the South Bronx too. It was as you described it, a totally immigrant neighborhood. I was born in 1946 and in the 50s during my childhood, it was a great place to be! And you were right about the moms they took care of everybody. They would sit out on the stoops and talk and talk and we played. My mom had to work, because we didn't have any money, so we were pretty much on our own (because there was no such thing as babysitters)

I was not allowed to play with the ruffians in the street except at certain times (seasons) during the year. That's right we had distinct seasons, one season was marbles where we would throw marbles at target. Another season was when we make scooters out of scraps of wood, old wooden boxes, and roller skates. We also had Checkers Season. Checkers were bottle caps that we put wax into and then with shoot them with our fingers to get into certain spots on a predetermined checkerboard. It's not checkers like you know it, but checker boxes with numbers on them, and we had to shoot the bottle caps into the numbered boxes to win. This took place in the gutter as we called the street. Checker Season was a really good and really exciting season! Another season was in the summer when everybody would go into the hydrants. My mom would have kiledl me if I did that. But, One day it was blistering hot, and I just went in. I got a beating, but it was worth it.

We had a little birthday parties and you would get a dollar in a Birthday card from each child. Many times I couldn't afford to give the dollar.

Many of my friends were survivors of the concentration camps in Poland and Germany. They had tattoos on their arms, and they rarely talked of their experiences, but they had such positive outlooks. They were just glad to be free.

The school was 5 blocks away so we walked there in the morning. I went home for lunch and then we walked back to school and then home again at 3 pm. We thought nothing of doing this. Girls were not allowed to wear pants so some of those walks were very, very cold.

At Halloween time we would put break chalk into chalk dust inside A sock and hit each other. That's why we wore our coats inside out the week before Halloween. The big kids would put rocks into long socks and hit us with them. We never went trick-or-treating. I never did it in my entire life. We just didn't do it it! However, on Thanksgiving we would dress up and we would go door to door saying "Anything for Thanksgiving" Most times the apartment doors would open and we'd get a penny or two.. I remember one sweet old lady gave me a quarter! I thought I was the richest girl in the world.

Life in the South Bronx was for sure different. It was like no other place on earth.. (after comparing experiences with my friends that is) but it Was What it Was, and I guess I'm better for it

Last edited: