• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In Superstar Cities The Rich Get Richer

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
That seems to contradict a lot of the stereotypes. Those are that Generation Z is privileged and have been promised all through college that they will earn a six-figure salary upon graduation. When that doesn't happen and the world is not handed to them on a silver platter, they throw a tantrum.

I think you are describing the baby boomers. The Me Generation. (Just kidding)

More seriously, you should read this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

Gen Z has been greatly influenced by the Great Recession - or at least the ones who came of age recently have been. So that will affect their mindset.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think you are describing the baby boomers. The Me Generation. (Just kidding)
I think you are right, but I am not sure that the Gen Z has yet to prove that they are the hardest working generation. They are still only at most 18 years old since the Millennial Generation ended in 2000. So Gen Z has yet to really hit the workforce. They may need to be the hardest working, but they have yet to prove it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think you are right, but I am not sure that the Gen Z has yet to prove that they are the hardest working generation. They are still only at most 18 years old since the Millennial Generation ended in 2000. So Gen Z has yet to really hit the workforce. They may need to be the hardest working, but they have yet to prove it.

I never said they are the hardest working generation. You are right, they are just coming of age so perhaps only the ones who remember the Great Recession will have the hard working mentality.

The pre-WWII generation was called the Greatest Generation. Maybe they were the hardest working generation back when people actually worked for a living. They lived through the Great Depression and fought WWII for us. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Generation

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
But none of them thought a state would have 40 million people. Or 75 times? the smallest state.

While they may have never considered the actual multiplier, there was always the idea of population differences - and sizable ones.
A quick look at the 1790 Census reveals population discrepancies of approximately 12.5 to 1 (Virginia to Delaware).
Agreed the Founding Fathers may never have considered how large of a population discrepancy might one day exist, but the issue was present then too.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This weekend I will attend a holiday event that will have about 30 millenials. All of them have a job. Most work 50 plus hours a week at wages that baby boomers with the same degrees would be appalled by. Most boomers would have cowed in fear at what millenials have to deal with to achieve the american dream.

Would you care to elaborate on this please?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They better have a job by now. Millenials are in their 30s by now. First groups of millenials were born in the early 1980s.

Labor participation rate is 67% in america. In this group it is 100% No housewives. That is one of the things that they have to deal with. My wife had choices when we first married and also after having our children. Those choices are not there for this group. My son's salary with his PE and almost 10 years of experience puts him in the higher end of engineering salaries. His salary does not match the buying power of the salary I received the day I graduated with the same degree. The workplace is different also. The pressure placed on him dwarfs what I had to deal with. It is time we boomers stop calling millenials lazy and own the fact that the world we turned over to them is not easy to navigate.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
AM1,

Just for comparison, and since your point made me wonder........

From the 2010 Census:
Largest state population: California 37,253,956
Smallest state population; Wyoming 563,626
Approx 66 to 1

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Labor participation rate is 67% in america. In this group it is 100% No housewives. That is one of the things that they have to deal with. My wife had choices when we first married and also after having our children. Those choices are not there for this group. My son's salary with his PE and almost 10 years of experience puts him in the higher end of engineering salaries. His salary does not match the buying power of the salary I received the day I graduated with the same degree. The workplace is different also. The pressure placed on him dwarfs what I had to deal with. It is time we boomers stop calling millenials lazy and own the fact that the world we turned over to them is not easy to navigate.

I mistakenly thought you were implying they were lazy. I am not a boomer. Most of my employees are millenials. However, it is not true that all millenials are two income families. All my employees work part time for work life balance and we are in the Silicon Valley. Their spouses work full time. I do not know how they make ends meet.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I never said they are the hardest working generation.
You stated that they work harder than Millenials, and it was previously mentioned in this thread that Millennials have a harder time than Baby Boomers.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate on this please?

Working for slave wages while being pressured to work 24/7.
Todays job market in that any day could be your last. No company loyalty to employees at all.
Health care costs that take a huge chunk of their take home pay and see above about the stability of it
Real estate costs that exclude them out of the market even though they have great jobs
crushing student debt caused by the huge increases in college costs
also the fact that the degree is a neccessity in today's job market due to automation and outsourcing

the statement was obviously a little hyperbole. It is a pet peeve of mine always denigrating millenials when I see what our baby boomer generation has left them. If any generation has a sense of entitlement it certainly is us boomers. Any other discussion on my opinions would go way over the line of political discussions. The only way I will put it is that I feel the greed of our generation has left quite a mess for the following generations.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You stated that they work harder than Millenials, and it was previously mentioned in this thread that Millennials have a harder time than Baby Boomers.

Yes but I did not say they are the hardest working generation. That is an assumption. But who cares, this is all opinion!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mistakenly thought you were implying they were lazy. I am not a boomer. Most of my employees are millenials. However, it is not true that all millenials are two income families. All my employees work part time for work life balance and we are in the Silicon Valley. Their spouses work full time. I do not know how they make ends meet.

I hope I did not give that impression as it is the exact opposite of how I feel. I am lucky enough to have two sons with great educations and jobs. They are also lucky enough to have wives that match that. Financially they are secure. The work/life balance issues they face boggle my mind.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Working for slave wages while being pressured to work 24/7.
Todays job market in that any day could be your last. No company loyalty to employees at all.
Health care costs that take a huge chunk of their take home pay and see above about the stability of it
Real estate costs that exclude them out of the market even though they have great jobs
crushing student debt caused by the huge increases in college costs
also the fact that the degree is a neccessity in today's job market due to automation and outsourcing

the statement was obviously a little hyperbole. It is a pet peeve of mine always denigrating millenials when I see what our baby boomer generation has left them. If any generation has a sense of entitlement it certainly is us boomers. Any other discussion on my opinions would go way over the line of political discussions. The only way I will put it is that I feel the greed of our generation has left quite a mess for the following generations.

I am not a boomer but we can certainly leave a lot to the future generations. Technically the biggest transfer of wealth in history will happen when the boomers die. The boomers will be leaving the next generation with a lot, although it will not be distributed equally. Remember, boomers are the Me, Me, Me Generation.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a boomer but we can certainly leave a lot to the future generations. Technically the biggest transfer of wealth in history will happen when the boomers die. The boomers will be leaving the next generation with a lot, although it will not be distributed equally. Remember, boomers are the Me, Me, Me Generation.

I will try not to be too political on this. My feeling is the wealth accumulated by my generation was due in large part to debt and rape of the planet. The bill will come due. It is funny you bring this up. There have been many discussions on here about leaving assets behind. My feeling on it has always been that it is very important to me to leave a lot of money to my children so they can use that to pay off the bills I have accumulated.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will try not to be too political on this. My feeling is the wealth accumulated by my generation was due in large part to debt and rape of the planet. The bill will come due. It is funny you bring this up. There have been many discussions on here about leaving assets behind. My feeling on it has always been that it is very important to me to leave a lot of money to my children so they can use that to pay off the bills I have accumulated.

Just wondering...If you have accumulated bills, why not pay them off with all the money you have before you die so your kids do not have to do it for you?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just wondering...If you have accumulated bills, why not pay them off with all the money you have before you die so your kids so not have to do it for you?
I suspect the term "bills" was a metaphor for what the generation is leaving behind?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...If you have accumulated bills, why not pay them off with all the money you have before you die so your kids do not have to do it for you?

Bills accumulated as a generation as a whole (national debt, global warming etc). Is my guess what they mean.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if she really cares about the future, then it might be better to donate her accumulated wealth to a cause rather than to her children, wouldn’t it?

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

If I could pay off my share of the national debt I would. Unfortunately I cannot. Also I feel what we have done to the planet is going to cost future generations a lot of cash to deal with. Again not a bill I can pay now.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if she really cares about the future, then it might be better to donate her accumulated wealth to a cause rather than to her children, wouldn’t it?
I know the hen in my name is confusing but I am Male....FYI the bluehen is our local college and my alma mater's mascot. It is a reference to our revolutionary troops that carried fighting bluehens for the traditional sport and gambling of cock fighting at the time. The bluehen was notorious for relieving colonial troops of their meager salary.

I actually will leave a lot to charity after I have willed to my children what I feel is my accumulated bills with a nice cushion of error. The charities will be those close to my heart and will not necessarily be associated with how those bills were accumulated. Of course I could need a ton of medical care and my kids will have to fend for themselves.

Edited to say. I feel my children are still my responsibility even though they would bristle at me saying this.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know the hen in my name is confusing but I am Male....FYI the bluehen is our local college and my alma mater's mascot. It is a reference to our revolutionary troops that carried fighting bluehens for the traditional sport and gambling of cock fighting at the time. The bluehen was notorious for relieving colonial troops of their meager salary.

I actually will leave a lot to charity after I have willed to my children what I feel is my accumulated bills with a nice cushion of error. The charities will be those close to my heart and will not necessarily be associated with how those bills were accumulated. Of course I could need a ton of medical care and my kids will have to fend for themselves.

Edited to say. I feel my children are still my responsibility even though they would bristle at me saying this.

Okay I get it now. These are really big issues. They are beyond political since all administrations have added to the problems but let’s not go there.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which would be a bonus for many companies. Millenials are not the age group around which a company can be built on.

Lol. Amazon and all the other big tech companies are built largely on millenial labour. Seems to be working out well for them so far.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/653789/average-age-of-tech-company-employees/

In fact, the only big tech companies with a median age older than millenial age are HP, Oracle, and IBM. So they likely have as many or more boomers than millenials. Interestingly, they are doing much worse than younger companies in the same industries...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/median-tech-employee-age-chart-2017-8

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do people realize that boomers are mostly retirement age now? Boomers are age 55-75 or so. So very few tech companies employ any boomers. They are mainly politicians these days.

Last edited: