• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In Superstar Cities The Rich Get Richer

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
In NY there is a movement that wants to separate the NYC metropolitan area (downstate) from upstate NY and make upstate a new state called "New Amsterdam" or whatever. In this scenario downstate would be a District, like Washington DC is.

Interesting. This is happening in California too. They wants 3 states here. I think 2 states might be fine but no one really wants the Central Valley.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't think anyone thought an unincorporated rural area had a chance, but somewhere like Dallas or Atlanta met all the requirements easily as well, with a much lower cost of living.

I agree. But are Dallas or Atlanta as central to the northeastern corridor? Could also be they got a a killer deal on the real estate. :shrug:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sidebar: In September of 2011 we stayed at the Manhattan Club. We rode down the elevator with Jeff Bezos. He'd been having drinks with someone in the penthouse bar. Make me wonder if he was laying groundwork for this sort of thing?

Dave

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
The Department of Defense is close to awarding a contract for a cloud computing platform with contract value expected to be in the neighborhood of $10 billion. Committing to an area within walking distance of the Pentagon can't hurt. Even if Amazon loses out to say, Microsoft, there are more contracts where that one comes from.

Without looking up anything, Lockheed Martin is in Bethesda, MD; Northrop Grumman and General Dynamics have their HQs in Falls Church, VA; L-3 Communications has its HQs in the building where I work; Boeing just built a building out back. SAIC is in Reston, VA (near Dulles Airport); CACI is Arlington; Booze Allen Hamilton is in McLean; BAE Systems has US offices in Alexandria, VA. I could go on but you get the idea.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think people need to consider what Amazon will be doing in the area with their facility, and what they need in an employment force: They need fast turnaround for orders, close access to a major airport, and ready availability of a high number of semi-tech-savvy people who are willing to work hard and fast, for a questionable wage. Both of those cities will provide that.

Expecting Amazon to open a major hub in an unincorporated rural area in the midwest isn't practical, nor would it fit their growing model for same-day deliveries. That is not to say they couldn't open a hub in the midwest in the future, but at this time, being in/near a major urban area on the east coast makes more sense. Flights out of Reagan go all over the eastern half of the country with great frequency.

But what do I know? Depending on who you ask - not much. ;)

Dave
I also don't think this will be a fulfillment center where they plan to have a warehouse and fill order, but rather a HQ office tower with suits and such. More white collar where a fulfillment center is blue collar. They do need to be somewhere that has the necessary tallent to fill their hiring needs, so being near an urban center is necessary, but there are a lot of urban centers throughout the country, not just on the coasts.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I also don't think this will be a fulfillment center where they plan to have a warehouse and fill order, but rather a HQ office tower with suits and such. More white collar where a fulfillment center is blue collar. They do need to be somewhere that has the necessary tallent to fill their hiring needs, so being near an urban center is necessary, but there are a lot of urban centers throughout the country, not just on the coasts.

Ok, I didn't know that. If it's only corporate stuff, then yes, they could build anywhere. I know Jeff Bezos worked in New York for a number of years, so he may have plans for all that. Easier to call meeting with bigwig suits in other companies, and such.

And as for Crystal City, when I was stationed in Washington DC, and was getting out of the Navy for awhile back in the 70s, I had two or three job offers dropped on my desk for local lobbyist companies without even asking for them. Perhaps Amazon wants to be closer to all those government contracts?

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
The Department of Defense is close to awarding a contract for a cloud computing platform with contract value expected to be in the neighborhood of $10 billion. Committing to an area within walking distance of the Pentagon can't hurt. Even if Amazon loses out to say, Microsoft, there are more contracts where that one comes from.

Without looking up anything, Lockheed Martin is in Bethesda, MD; Northrop Grumman and General Dynamics have their HQs in Falls Church, VA; L-3 Communications has its HQs in the building where I work; Boeing just built a building out back. SAIC is in Reston, VA (near Dulles Airport); CACI is Arlington; Booze Allen Hamilton is in McLean; BAE Systems has US offices in Alexandria, VA. I could go on but you get the idea.

I get the idea. Record budget busting government defense spending. = get closer to the Pentagon = + profits

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Its all talk, same thing out here, been talking for years about splitting up California. The Senate system is ridiculous, only two for the high population states yet North and South Dakota get 2 each. Those two should be merged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Senate system was a brilliant stroke of genius from our founding fathers as it helped balance the small versus large states influence.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
20180703_144722.jpg

I've yet to see this in a superstar city.....the cities can keep their quality of life....

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Senate system was a brilliant stroke of genius from our founding fathers as it helped balance the small versus large states influence.

But none of them thought a state would have 40 million people. Or 75 times? the smallest state.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But none of them thought a state would have 40 million people. Or 75 times? the smallest state.
The goal was ultimately to try to get other states to join the union. The Senate being set up in the way it was ensured that a small state that wanted to join felt like they had an equal vote. It wasn't until the 17th Amendment in the early 1900s that the people directly voted for Senators. Before that, it was up to the state legislatures to elect their senators to represent them on the federal level in the Senate. The Senate would look a lot different today had there not been the 17th Amendment.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. But are Dallas or Atlanta as central to the northeastern corridor? Could also be they got a a killer deal on the real estate. :shrug:

Dave

Even a good deal in other parts of the country would be cheaper then a killer deal in NYC or DC area. Wages will also be a lot higher. I would have went DC or NYC and then one in the south/south central. Then make the Centre of the Universe the international head office.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
In business, sometimes the cheaper market is not always the best market for a headquarters. I am closing an office in a cheaper market and keeping my Silicon Valley office, even though it costs a lot more to maintain. I can’t find employees with the right skills in the cheaper market. My business does a lot better in the more expensive market. I think many businesses that need specialized skills find that they do better in urban areas for this reason. If Amazon were opening a call center then anywhere would be fine. But they are opening a second/third headquarters and they need higher skilled people. Those types of people prefer to live in or near urban areas.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

e.bram

Reaction score
I don't think anyone thought an unincorporated rural area had a chance, but somewhere like Dallas or Atlanta met all the requirements easily as well, with a much lower cost of living.
Yes. But they couldn't attract the educated millennials to move there.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. But they couldn't attract the educated millennials to move there.

Which would be a bonus for many companies. Millenials are not the age group around which a company can be built on.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I get the idea. Record budget busting government defense spending. = get closer to the Pentagon = + profits

Bullseye!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which would be a bonus for many companies. Millenials are not the age group around which a company can be built on.

This weekend I will attend a holiday event that will have about 30 millenials. All of them have a job. Most work 50 plus hours a week at wages that baby boomers with the same degrees would be appalled by. Most boomers would have cowed in fear at what millenials have to deal with to achieve the american dream.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Millenials are out. Generation Z (aka iGen) is in. They work harder than Millenials since they are coming of age post Great Recession. Millenials are old now - over 30!

Baby boomers seems to divide the world into baby boomers and millenials. They forget about all the other generations above them, below them and in between.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This weekend I will attend a holiday event that will have about 30 millenials. All of them have a job. Most work 50 plus hours a week at wages that baby boomers with the same degrees would be appalled by. Most boomers would have cowed in fear at what millenials have to deal with to achieve the american dream.

They better have a job by now. Millenials are in their 30s by now. First groups of millenials were born in the early 1980s.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Millenials are out. Generation Z (aka iGen) is in. They work harder than Millenials since they are coming of age post Great Recession. Millenials are old now - over 30!
That seems to contradict a lot of the stereotypes. Those are that Generation Z is privileged and have been promised all through school that they will earn a six-figure salary upon graduation. When that doesn't happen and the world is not handed to them on a silver platter, they throw a tantrum. The generation with "lawnmower" parents.

Last edited: