• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In a sense, HGVC may want owners to lose their points...

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Seeing some newcomers unintentionally have point balance in both the current and next year, I thought that HGVC website could have a function to do saving of remaining points prior to confirming next year's reservation. HGVC can earn two fees for saving and reservation at one time. I believe it is quite a natural way of service to owners. But I suspect that HGVC does not want to increase "saved" points. Or maybe it is too complicated for their IT team. Any ideas to improve our website experiences?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Who's to say that you don't have plans to use those current-year points this year and actually prefer that next-year's bookings use next-year's points. IMHO, it's more of a case of HGVC not wanting to babysit your points. If you later decide to save your current-year points, you can call them and ask that the saved-points be substituted for next-year's points in the booking. It's not uncommon, and AFAIK, they'll do it for free.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The web site still has a lot of room for improvement but be careful what you wish for, annual club fees will increase to pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Seeing some newcomers unintentionally have point balance in both the current and next year, I thought that HGVC website could have a function to do saving of remaining points prior to confirming next year's reservation. HGVC can earn two fees for saving and reservation at one time. I believe it is quite a natural way of service to owners. But I suspect that HGVC does not want to increase "saved" points. Or maybe it is too complicated for their IT team. Any ideas to improve our website experiences?
Off topic, but I love the avatar! :D

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think HGVC wants anyone to lose their points.

They DO email you a reminder around October/November, if I recall, telling you if you have points that are going to expire, and that you should save them.

However, since I've only been in the situation twice in 12+ years, I may not be remembering correctly. Let's say I have 2017 points (and it's now October). I have 2018 points. If I make a reservation for 2018 year, I think the online system will draw 2018 points and not 2017 points. So I suppose I could see a feature where the system (online anyway) would "save" the 2017 points into 2018 and then book the 2018 reservation you're looking for.

However:

There are stipulations on saved points, as far as what you can do with them, etc. Plus, once you save points in to next year, it makes it very difficult (the agents on the phone accused me of "gaming" the system and said they cannot tell you which reservations used saved points) to determine if your 2018 booking was made with 2017 points that were saved vs. "regular" 2018 points. This makes a huge difference when having to cancel or jockey around reservations. (This is why I now have to use the lovely spreadsheet method to determine which bucket everything came from). Had I not saved any points, it would be much easier.

I guess I'm 50/50 on this one.

If everything goes as planned, then possibly would be better to pull in the 2017 points for 2018 bookings rather than having this big pot you have to save and then if your plans change, it makes point bucket figuring out quite difficult (and if you cancel a reservation that was booked either partially or fully with saved points, and it's "next" year, you lose those points).

hmmm.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Maybe I was skewed to beginners' mindset because I see experienced owners will not have problems of the kind I mentioned in my first post. I understand that HGVC reminds owners of the point balance and sometimes offers discounted fee for saving. But it is natural for HGVC to project the point pool to be carried over to next year and to be lost within the year. I doubt that they will take more-than-necessary and concrete actions to reduce the point to be lost. Baby sitting is not necessary for myself and that should mean HGVC would not be too kind to new and inexperienced owners.