• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IMPORTANT! We have a Tugger running for the WKORV BOD!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As an outsider looking in (one who would like to return to WKORV again very soon on another direct trade with a Tugger :ignore: ) , may I suggest that a similar thread be started on TS4Ms.com and Redweek.com?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Since I own at North, I suppose I can't vote for you, but I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Good luck!!

Lisa

j4sharks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Annual Meeting II, the Sequel, is set for Feb 25, I am told.

califgal

Reaction score
Fantastic news!! I know 2 owners who are not on TUG so I will email them. One, owns 16 weeks at WKORV. This this a dumb question, but do you get a vote for each week owned? I would think so, since those weeks could have potentially been owned by 16 different people.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Over the years of going to WKORV I have met a lot of people and quite a few do not frequent TUG. I already wrote to all the owners I know outside of TUG giving them Jeff's introductory statement and pointing them to this discussion. The only recourse I know to get to other owners is to have everyone here to contact everyone they know.

I suspect there is quite a bit of apathy out there so even a few extra votes from a grass roots effort like the one going on here can go a long way. Just look at your own local politics. All it takes is a few passionate people to really canvass their friends to get local measures passed. This works best when only a small percentage of the population votes. If most of those that vote have been made aware of your cause and you can get your allies to just show up at the ballot, then you are more likely to win even against opposition with deeper pockets but less organization.

A potential problem (if I understand corectly) is those that turn thier proxy in that allows someone else (existing BOD member?) to control their vote. I do not recall what happens when no proxy is turned in (as I suspect is the majority of the cases) - does this vote also go to the controlling BOD member?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can write on your proxy how you want to vote and it has to be voted that way. You can also choose to let the board member as he sees fit, but that is your choice. I don't know how the bylaws are written to handle the proxies that are not turned in.

ginja

Reaction score
I went to the HOA meeting in Dec. - here is some info

I lost a day on the beach in Maui to attend the HOA - N meetings in Dec. here is some information you might want to know. There are 5 HOA board members for each property, until this last year ALL 5 HOA - North board members were Starwood Employees! This was probably because it was still being sold when they formed the first HOA. Right now there are 2 Owners on the Board but still 3 Starwood employees. This new proxy vote will add a 3rd Owner to the board so at least it will be tilted towards owners. I met with the 2 HOA - N board members who are owners, they are nice and very concerned with all of the issues that affect us with price increases. They seem to be heading in the right direction with trying to cut cost where they can (example:replacing regular light bulbs with energy efficient ones). Energy costs are one of the major expenses of running the resort. They are fighting the Maui tax issue and all money in dispute is in an "escrow" account so it is being paid by us but isn't in the Maui governments hands until courts decide the issue. Some expenses that are a huge problem for the resort are also just a general a problem for the country, example: Insurance. I voiced my complaint that we need better communication from Starwood and the Board about relevant issues instead of just being shocked once a year when we recieve our MF bills. They agreed that there needs to be more communication between the owners and Starwood/and the HOA and are going to try to resolve it. Let me know if you have any questions I can try to answer them as best I can form having attended the meetings.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
While few people read it - I posted info on RedWeek's WKORV forum.

califgal

Reaction score
Hopefully all of us reaching "a few people" spreading the word will mulitply and get Jeff elected!

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it will take more than energy efficient lightbulbs to get control of MFs.

I heard about another Starwood resort board meeting where the HOA spent a bunch of time talking about replacing all grass with artificial turf and exploring installation of solar panels. While it might be PC to become 'green' overnight, most of these projects do not yield ROI as an early adopter. These are added expenses in the near/medium term, not savings. Our HOA boards should spend more time focusing on cutting the big expenses without sacrificing quality. This requires scrutiny and better oversight of Starwood management when approving all the budget line items. It requires actively engaging in resolving the delinquency issues, even if doing so conflicts with Starwood new sales activities. And, it requires demanding better answers to owners compaints since happy owners = greater resort resale values.

We need well informed, honest and talented owner/advocates on these HOA boards. This tugger running for WKORV sounds very well qualified IMHO. I hope it is the first of many tuggers to get involved and help fix our owner concerns.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just bumping this important info. up! :hi:

Srqbird

Reaction score
Received proxy today

Proxies arrived in today's mail. We're casting our vote for Jeff.

Our thks to Jeff & to tuggers for letting us know he is a candidate.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Srqbird - Welcome to TUG and thanks for voting for Jeff!! :clap:

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Proxies arrived in today's mail. We're casting our vote for Jeff.

Our thks to Jeff & to tuggers for letting us know he is a candidate.

When is proxy due? hope we will have enough time unlike the last vote!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When is proxy due? hope we will have enough time unlike the last vote!!!

It has to be received by Wed., Feb. 24th, which seems odd to me, because the meeting is the NEXT day! :shrug:

I guess that means they just throw them away and don't really count them.... :rofl:

BTW - interesting difference between Jeff's statement and the other two candidates' statements. Jeff's states his goals and objectives and the other two read like brief resumes. I'm guessing the other two are the candidates hand-picked by Starwood.

Last edited:

j4sharks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not seen the proxy packet yet. I did have a thought ... perhaps ya'll should put your initials in the margin of the paper near where you indicate your vote. That way, should an audit of ballots ever be conducted, you would have a way of knowing if your actual vote was counted.

lamarjames

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first post (new to TUG) and quite a novice when it comes to these matters. I own, and will be at, WKORV for the period of 20/20 through 3/6/. Is there a way that I can attend the meeting and vote?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should receive your ballot in the mail this week and you must vote by mail.

You can, of course, attend the meeting and you will receive that info. also. Strangely enough, they hold the meeting at the Westin Maui Hotel and not at the TS, although there are plenty of meeting rooms at the TS! If you are at the TS that week, you will never know there is a meeting going on - they make no attempt to publicize it at the resort.

And....Welcome to TUG! :hi:

Last edited:

sueann3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to this meeting in February - Jeff are you going? I'd like to give my proxy to someone who will be there in person. I'd also like that person to take their own "minutes" of what happened at the meeting.

I'm new to the forum but have been following this thread since I got my crazy bill...finally logged in to chime in.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not seen the proxy packet yet. I did have a thought ... perhaps ya'll should put your initials in the margin of the paper near where you indicate your vote. That way, should an audit of ballots ever be conducted, you would have a way of knowing if your actual vote was counted.

FYI, the proxies have owner's name printed on them.

j4sharks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I will not be in Maui for the meeting. (Not so sad about the meeting, but sad to be working in the rainy Bay Area rather than enjoying Maui.) So, I will be awaiting an update from any TUGers in attendance. :)