• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Still Works For Us, TWO 2BD MKO Thanksgiving 2018 Confirmations This Week

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We woke up this morning (Mon) to a second surprise is three mornings. First, surprise was Satuday morning, an OGS confirmed a 2BD Ko Olina (room category ZZAA ocean view) reservation the night before for a Fri check-in. Due to schedule constraints requiring a Saturday check-in with at least 3 of 4 traveling, I called II Saturday morning and cancell Eed the reservation and placed my OGS back into pending status. This morning, I woke to find an II confirmation for a 2BD Ko Olina (room category ZZAB mountain view) reservation from last night for a Sun check-in.

In an ideal world, due to the schedule constraints requiring a Saturday check-in with at least 3 of 4 traveling, I would simply cancel this latest Sun check-in reservation and continue the OGS for the Saturday check-in. However, my instincts is telling to go with this. Any thoughts from my TUG experts?

Here are a couple of thoughts. I can simply rent a hotel in Honolulu for Saturday allowing a Saturday additional in Oahu. Having this Sun check-in reservation allows us NOT having to check out of MKO Fri, the day after Thanksgiving, and at the same time allows flexibility of either:
a) checking out early Saturday for noonish flight home (to California) or a red eye flight home, and having a unit the entire day for our use as desired, or
b) an extra night in paradise, departing for home Sunday.

For background info, I reserved a summer 2018 2BD MMC (Manor Club) and setup a Request-First II OGS back a few months ago in June (2017). I also asked II to note this as a Saturday check-in only request.

Any thoughts from my TUG friends?

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Wow, that's terrific -- if you have the points (or want to rent them) you could do a one night reservation at Ko Olina for the missing day? That's a great trade and I'm happy both of them came through for you. I would opt for the extra day in paradise -- you will be happy on that Saturday when you have one more night. Congratulations!

Best,

Greg

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's terrific -- if you have the points (or want to rent them) you could do a one night reservation at Ko Olina for the missing day? That's a great trade and I'm happy both of them came through for you. I would opt for the extra day in paradise -- you will be happy on that Saturday when you have one more night. Congratulations!

Best,

Greg
Good point, Greg, on the one night rental using DC points. This additional flexibility was one main reason we paid to Enroll in the DC program when it first came out, how easy to forget! Yes, NOT having to check out the day after Thanksgiving (Fri) is a god-send. We did that a few years ago on a trip to Kauai, but that was not as bad because we were finishing up a two week stay on the island (as opposed to a one week this time) and the airport was like only 15 mins away (if even that).

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Congratulations! Since it works for you, is a holiday week, and allows you to purchase airfare so far in advance, I would keep it and keep looking manually for a Sat check in. I assume that you are using a corporate Marriott account so you get free retrades, correct? If not, then add eplus and keep searching for the Saturday check in date. I wouldn't expect any alternate weeks to show up until closer to check in though.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Since it works for you, is a holiday week, and allows you to purchase airfare so far in advance, I would keep it and keep looking manually for a Sat check in. I assume that you are using a corporate Marriott account so you get free retrades, correct? If not, then add eplus and keep searching for the Saturday check in date. I wouldn't expect any alternate weeks to show up until closer to check in though.
Yes, as an enrolled DC member, the included II acct allows for free Marriott-to-Marriott retrades. It makes sense to look closer to check in to re-trade, but I believe I may only retrade (as we get closer the November) to upgrade the view because I conceivably will have our airfare, car, parking (home airport) and Saturday Honolulu hotel (or MKO unit booked with DC points) reserved by the time we are 6 months from the check-in date and it will be too much hassle to rearrange everything if a Saturday check-in date becomes available.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations enjoy your vacation on Paradise Island.:thumbup:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
my vote is to rent the Saturday before and leave Sunday to maximize the trip. Excellent trade BTW. Another example of the great trades II still produces.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
my vote is to rent the Saturday before and leave Sunday to maximize the trip. Excellent trade BTW. Another example of the great trades II still produces.
Yes, spoke with DW and we are moving forward with this approach. Now, we may still end up leaving Saturday due to an early Monday start for the crew on Monday (like a 4am wake-up call for one and 615am for the rest of us).

Just a side note/opinion - it benefits all of us if there's more competition in lots of industries around us. In our TS realm, that means a robust II and DC, evident by my two confirmed OGSs. Similar to the world vs Amazon, lots of times, we spend that few extra dollars at our local stores (like Target or Staples) to support them rather than strictly ordering from Amazon. We still compare prices, BUT prices use not the only driving factor for who gets our business. I would continue placing nice summer weeks into II for below II markets to enjoy and using the occasional DC reservation (including renting from fellow DC members to make up any shortfall).

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow, you got lucky.