• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II resort for Disney vacation

Scm175

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for advice on picking a II resort to use as a base for my families October vacation to Disney World. My wife and I along with our 11 year old daughter will spend most of our time at the Disney parks but will take a few days to explore the area. I like the looks and reviews for Marriott's Cypress Harbor but I am unsure of the practicality of of traveling daily to Disney World from there. There are exchanges open for almost all Interval resorts for my travel dates and any advise you could give me would be great.

jancpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
If driving time is a priority, Sheraton Vistana is a short distance away.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sheraton Vistana Resort thread on the DISboards is very helpful:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/

I stayed at SVR a couple of years ago and it's a great choice. It is right near the Marriott Palms resorts (Sabal/Royal/Imperial) and all are in the same great location near Disney property. These are my first choices for Disney-focused trips when I can get them (but I wouldn't complain about any of the Marriotts).

I just got back from a stay at Cypress Harbour - it is a great resort but it is a little farther from the parks - not terrible but you never know if I-4 will be gridlocked when you go that direction and Intl Drive has more stoplights... (I still don't get why Cypress Harbour's 2nd BR doesn't have a privacy option on the curtains either - but the grounds are beautiful in the spring and the villas are nice, so I rig my own privacy screen with the bed runner...)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would stay at the Marriott because it's incredibly nice and luxurious and has all of the amenities I want on vacation. It's maybe two extra minutes down I-4 from 535. We stay there almost every trip and the guard gates know us, when we arrive to check in that frist day. Is that weird? We sometimes stay there six weeks in a year. Love it there.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The Sheraton Vistana Resort thread on the DISboards is very helpful:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/

I stayed at SVR a couple of years ago and it's a great choice. It is right near the Marriott Palms resorts (Sabal/Royal/Imperial) and all are in the same great location near Disney property. These are my first choices for Disney-focused trips when I can get them (but I wouldn't complain about any of the Marriotts).

I just got back from a stay at Cypress Harbour - it is a great resort but it is a little farther from the parks - not terrible but you never know if I-4 will be gridlocked when you go that direction and Intl Drive has more stoplights... (I still don't get why Cypress Harbour's 2nd BR doesn't have a privacy option on the curtains either - but the grounds are beautiful in the spring and the villas are nice, so I rig my own privacy screen with the bed runner...)
Did you get a newly remodeled unit, or did you have the unit with the blue sectional and the sailboat theme?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get a newly remodeled unit, or did you have the unit with the blue sectional and the sailboat theme?

I got a newly remodeled room when I stayed at Grande Vista in December but still got the blue sofa at Cypress Harbour. It was very clean, comfortable and in a good location in the resort (and I'm not a Marriott owner) so I was very happy with it. Based on the Grande Vista, I'm sure the updated villas are extremely sweet...

(or are you saying they might finally address the privacy issue for the 2nd BR? That would be a great update.)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We always stay at the Marriotts for Disney trips. Usually Grand Vista or Harbor Lake (which is a across the street from Cypress). The drive is never a hassle.

My 12 year old daughter would pick Harbor Lake if she had the choice. She likes the activities - mini golf, basketball, table tennis, etc that is offered there. It has been a long time since we have been to Cypress - not sure what the kids stuff is like there.

Also - before you pull the trigger on an exchange, double check the cost of the getaways. Sometimes they are very reasonable (less than $500) and you can save your week for something else.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite would be Sabal Palms at Marriott World Center. It is before the light at 535 and World Drive (very busy intersection). Sabal Palms just went through a refresh too.

Yes do look at the getaways. Depending on your dates for Getaways, you can pay a lot less for than your maintenance fees. For example. Sabal Palms, Royal Palms and Harbour Lake for Getaways in a 2 bedroom, you can get it for $500 (depending on your II member status).

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Mystic Dunes is exclusively II and is a great location for WDW and other area attractions. We are owners and spent two weeks there at Christmas/New Years with extended family. You can be at Animal Kingdom in 10 minutes. Hollywood Studios, about the same. Maybe 20 minutes to Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Sheila

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charles:
I don't understand what "privacy issue" there is?

Scm175:
Both Cypress Harbour and Grande Vista are gorgeous. We enjoyed them both. Grande Vista is huge (900+ units). You can see SeaWorld fireworks from some buildings at Cypress Harbour. (It is adjacent to HGVC Sea World). We had no difficulty in getting to the WDW parks from either.

The Royal, Sabal and Imperial Palms are adjacent to the Orlando World Center Marriott and have access to those amenities as well. They are a bit closer to the WDW parks.

Scm175

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now leaning looking like Sheraton Vistana. I like the short drive to WDW and the looks of the villas. Thanks a ton for the advice about buying a getaway. I can get a week for $389.

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
We have stayed at the Marriott Palms properties and love their convenience to Disney. Honestly felt we could get to the parks just as quickly as people riding buses to/from their Disney hotel. It's nice the Palms properties have access to the World Center pools and slides. Sheraton Vistana Resort neighbors Royal Palms but didn't have a light to turn in/out off of a busy road last time I checked.

We've stayed at Marriott Cypress Harbour or Harbour Lake for Disney and found them to be convenient as well. A little further but good access to I4.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Vistana Resort neighbors Royal Palms but didn't have a light to turn in/out off of a busy road last time I checked.

all you do is turn right out of SVR, then turn right at the next light and cross over I-4 and in no time, you are on wdw property. I've never had much of an issue turning right out of the SVR resort. (If you were determined to go left, there are times of day where it could be a problem but that's not typically an issue. and I think there is a stoplight near the chick fil-a that stops any traffic coming from your left, so that you can take the right turn out of the resort.)

Charles:
I don't understand what "privacy issue" there is?

the second bedroom has its window facing out to the exterior hallway. while there is a sheer curtain obscuring the window, there's no way to shut out the light with a curtain (and while no one can probably see in, it still feels a little exposed to me).