• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Exchange...Been awhile

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited 2 Hawaii weeks in 2017, about a year before the July 2018 reservation (KoOlina 2BR and MOC 1BR). I have been searching II inventory for 2020 and am coming up with scraps or nothing at all. Hardly any Marriott properties, mostly lower tier resorts and almost always less space than I'm giving up. Looking for places such as Palm Beach FL anytime Jan Feb or March (have done this recently direct Marriott), Scottsdale Feb or March, Big Island March-April. Nothing. Is this the new normal for II deposits or do you think it's something with either my deposit or requests? I have not used II in a few years, really. This makes me want to dump my Hawaii weeks if they don't trade at all. I reserved based on the II demand index and deposited very early.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited 2 Hawaii weeks in 2017, about a year before the July 2018 reservation (KoOlina 2BR and MOC 1BR). I have been searching II inventory for 2020 and am coming up with scraps or nothing at all. Hardly any Marriott properties, mostly lower tier resorts and almost always less space than I'm giving up. Looking for places such as Palm Beach FL anytime Jan Feb or March (have done this recently direct Marriott), Scottsdale Feb or March, Big Island March-April. Nothing. Is this the new normal for II deposits or do you think it's something with either my deposit or requests? I have not used II in a few years, really. This makes me want to dump my Hawaii weeks if they don't trade at all. I reserved based on the II demand index and deposited very early.
Do you have ongoing search requests on the books or are you searching manually? Most and the best options tend to go to ongoing searches.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a request for my Maui week for something in Scottsdale other than an efficiency. I'll try the Oahu week with an ongoing search. Since it had been a long time, I was just wondering if others noticed a drop in exchange opportunities on II. I am a little concerned that Marriott controls all this now, and that their desire for people like me to exchange for points (Destination or Reward) may be a conflict of interest in providing the best exchange opportunities for Marriott weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a request for my Maui week for something in Scottsdale other than an efficiency. I'll try the Oahu week with an ongoing search. Since it had been a long time, I was just wondering if others noticed a drop in exchange opportunities on II. I am a little concerned that Marriott controls all this now, and that their desire for people like me to exchange for points (Destination or Reward) may be a conflict of interest in providing the best exchange opportunities for Marriott weeks.
An ongoing search is the way to go. One concern is that the Destinations Points options will decrease the II deposits and it really should to a degree. I haven't noticed much change but the reality is that a given individual isn't going to know since looking online for free availability should not give a good insight to this issue. Plus there are other issues. Prices are up for air and rentals to a degree likely because people are traveling more with a continued decent economy.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Short answer: my usual trades have been taking longer and longer (yes, using on-going requests). ...That's one reason why I just rented an Ocean Watch week instead of depositing.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I'll give a different opinion. I have a decent trader with Marriott Desert Springs Villas I which I split into a studio and a 1BR. I have always deposited into Interval first and done a manual search with much success, though I am looking to trade *into* Hawaii where you are trading out of Hawaii. Some people swear by putting in the ongoing search but honestly my manual search has always given what I want, though view is luck of the draw - trading my studio and 1BR last year I got Ko Olina 2BR penthouse ocean view, Maui Ocean Club 1BR ocean view, this year I got Maui Ocean Club 1BR ocean view, Maui Ocean Club Napili/Lahaina 2BR garden view in May and again in August. By consistently doing the manual search I have been able to see trends when inventory is added, for example, Hawaii is more available for me to trade into April/May and Sep/Oct, Newport and Desert Springs most always can get into in Nov/Dec. If you have less flexible dates then I guess the ongoing search is the way to go.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll give a different opinion. I have a decent trader with Marriott Desert Springs Villas I which I split into a studio and a 1BR. I have always deposited into Interval first and done a manual search with much success, though I am looking to trade *into* Hawaii where you are trading out of Hawaii. Some people swear by putting in the ongoing search but honestly my manual search has always given what I want, though view is luck of the draw - trading my studio and 1BR last year I got Ko Olina 2BR penthouse ocean view, Maui Ocean Club 1BR ocean view, this year I got Maui Ocean Club 1BR ocean view, Maui Ocean Club Napili/Lahaina 2BR garden view in May and again in August. By consistently doing the manual search I have been able to see trends when inventory is added, for example, Hawaii is more available for me to trade into April/May and Sep/Oct, Newport and Desert Springs most always can get into in Nov/Dec. If you have less flexible dates then I guess the ongoing search is the way to go.
One can always search manually even with an ongoing search. There's no reason not to set up an OGS and every reason to do so if you have a potential plan of exchange in mind.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the other locations but I try to grab a week in Scottsdale (or Phoenix) every year, around February. I was able to grab a week at the Marriott Canyon Villas recently. I don't know if it's too late there now. I know that last year (around October?) there was a bulk deposit for the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. It really varies but you still might be able to find some weeks in that area. I know that we've stayed at SVO a couple times. It isn't rated as high but we liked it and would gladly go back there.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited 2 Hawaii weeks in 2017, about a year before the July 2018 reservation (KoOlina 2BR and MOC 1BR)....
I'm in the exact same boat (except mine is a July 2018 Waiohai week I deposited at 12 months). For the past two years I've put in a series of ongoing searches and nothing came up...I also try manual searches every now and then. My possible vacations/OGSs left before my deposit expires are Presidents week in Marco Island then Easter in LA (and both of those are really 'half weeks').

You/I can extend for another year (using the trick I saw in another thread and will describe below) but I am hesitant to throw good money after bad. Aside from Orlando is there anywhere you can reliably trade into during the school holidays?

---

What you do is make an exchange for a time close to your expiration date.
Any exchange since your trading power is based on your original unit.
I did a same size unit to avoid an upsize fee. Exchange to another Marriott avoids an exchange fee. Buy eplus.
You will now have 1 year from your original check in date to make 3 manual exchanges and find the trip you want.
If you can’t immediately find your desired exchange, consider “wasting” one eplus exchange by doing another Exchange all the way out to the eplus expiration date so you avoid getting into flexchange - once you are in you remain there.
The benefit of this eplus method is it cost less, allows 3 exchanges and is not limited to flexchange.
You still need need to search manually.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I took the advice here and bought 2 ePlus things for both exchange weeks. Then, about one day later, both requests were confirmed for pretty much exactly what I asked for and was searching manually for (did not come up in manual search). Some of my faith in the system is restored, especially the power of the Maui trade, which typically over the years gets about anything. I did try to maximize things by reserving weeks in the highest area of the II demand index and depositing them really early. Maybe next time around I'll do a request first search (have done that in past years) and see what I can get.
I do know from my most recent sales presentation (a couple years ago in Orlando Grande Vista) that they really, really want weeks owners to convert to Destination points or take the reward point option. I suspect they need the inventory for all the newer points owners. This is why I am concerned about Marriott controlling II and what Marriott weeks show up in a search. It appears in their interest to discourage weeks exchanges and encourage points. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
Anyway, thanks to all. This time it worked out fine.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the other locations but I try to grab a week in Scottsdale (or Phoenix) every year, around February. I was able to grab a week at the Marriott Canyon Villas recently. I don't know if it's too late there now. I know that last year (around October?) there was a bulk deposit for the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. It really varies but you still might be able to find some weeks in that area. I know that we've stayed at SVO a couple times. It isn't rated as high but we liked it and would gladly go back there.
Thanks. We did get the Marriott there. I prefer to trade into Marriott as it saves me the exchange fee, mainly. While I do like the whole Marriott thing and it is more familiar, we've traded into really nice non-Marriott's a couple of times entirely because Marriott did not have a real timeshare resort in N. California (not Tahoe) or San Diego. I am NOT interested in the new hotel thing they are pushing with the "Club Pulse". Many of us who have had a TS awhile remember a big part of the sales pitch was to NOT stay in a hotel room. How things have changed when that's what you have to sell!