• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II bait and switch?

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently received an offer from Interval International. In short: deposit your week before x date, and get 3 years of Platinum membership free. So, of course, I did it. Then I get the card back in the mail with a letter stating they can't accept my deposit because my membership will expire in May and the deposit is for October. This strikes me as illogical, since they're offering to renew me at platinum for 3 more years.
ANYWAY, after an eternity on hold, they say Sorry, you shouldn't have gotten that offer, since it's only for new members or ones with expired memberships. So, they sent it to me to begin with AND returned it to me without noticing this problem, and now on their third chance, tell me they can't and won't honor it. Is it just me, or what?

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently received an offer from Interval International. In short: deposit your week before x date, and get 3 years of Platinum membership free. So, of course, I did it. Then I get the card back in the mail with a letter stating they can't accept my deposit because my membership will expire in May and the deposit is for October. This strikes me as illogical, since they're offering to renew me at platinum for 3 more years.
ANYWAY, after an eternity on hold, they say Sorry, you shouldn't have gotten that offer, since it's only for new members or ones with expired memberships. So, they sent it to me to begin with AND returned it to me without noticing this problem, and now on their third chance, tell me they can't and won't honor it. Is it just me, or what?
Did I read that II didn't get your deposit?
If so, it's not bait and switch, because you have not lost the use of your Timeshare.
Seems like a misunderstanding, it happens.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But Platinum membership is an add on to a basic membership, at least that is how they are presented and sold. I always have to buy them separately. If they are giving 3 years of free Platinum membership, you need to have 3 years of underlying basic membership.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
But Platinum membership is an add on to a basic membership, at least that is how they are presented and sold. I always have to buy them separately. If they are giving 3 years of free Platinum membership, you need to have 3 years of underlying basic membership.
This is the correct answer. I have an offer for our second II account as well. I already deposited my weeks for 2018 before they sent the offer. I assume I won't be able to take advantage of their offer for that reason. Annoying.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There is an II contact on TUG: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...s-direct-email-for-tug-member-support.198023/

I'm not saying that Mark can immediately solve or resolve your problem, but he will certainly listen to your concern, research the issue and reply with a personalized and professional answer.
I strongly advise you to contact him with your concerns and ask how you can resolve the issue; bottom-line, you'd like to be a platinum member

report back!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Usually II will honor offers that were sent directly to a member even if it was a mistake. Platinum offers are usually only offered if you don't currently have platinum or are in the renewal period. Reading between the lines of your post I am guessing that you currently have platinum and it is set to expire in May. If you have an account that you pay for directly you will have to keep your basic membership current. You can get platinum beyond your basic membership but if you don't eventually extend the basic membership the Platinum aspect will have virtually no value-. In order to deposit you do need a basic membership active through the deposit date and if you exchange it has to be valid at least until that date.

Platinum and gold memberships are add on's over and above the basic membership which you are still required to pay.

Interval International Fees as of January 1, 2018

Basic Renewal:
1 year - $89.00
2 year - $178.00
3 year - $227.00
5 year - $356.00

Gold Renewal:
1 year - $64.00
2 year - $128.00
3 year - $163.00
5 year - $256.00

Platinum Renewal:
1 year - $139.00
2 year - $278.00
3 year - $354.00
5 year - $556.00
Gold or Platinum must be paid in addition to Basic membership

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Usually II will honor offers that were sent directly to a member even if it was a mistake. Platinum offers are usually only offered if you don't currently have platinum or are in the renewal period. Reading between the lines of your post I am guessing that you currently have platinum and it is set to expire in May. If you have an account that you pay for directly you will have to keep your basic membership current. You can get platinum beyond your basic membership but if you don't eventually extend the basic membership the Platinum aspect will have virtually no value-. In order to deposit you do need a basic membership active through the deposit date and if you exchange it has to be valid at least until that date.

Platinum and gold memberships are add on's over and above the basic membership which you are still required to pay.

Interval International Fees as of January 1, 2018

Basic Renewal:
1 year - $89.00
2 year - $178.00
3 year - $227.00
5 year - $356.00

Gold Renewal:
1 year - $64.00
2 year - $128.00
3 year - $163.00
5 year - $256.00

Platinum Renewal:
1 year - $139.00
2 year - $278.00
3 year - $354.00
5 year - $556.00
Gold or Platinum must be paid in addition to Basic membership
Thank you all for the above information. I also received an email from II and then a mailing offering 3 years of free Platinum with a stated value of $684 if I deposit a Marriott Week. I have not responded to learn details of how the “$684 value” is determined.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the above information. I also received an email from II and then a mailing offering 3 years of free Platinum with a stated value of $684 if I deposit a Marriott Week. I have not responded to learn details of how the “$684 value” is determined.
3 years of basic membership at 1 year rate + 3 years platinum upgrade at 1 year rate = $267 + $417 = $684. So the free platinum membership does include the basic membership.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did I read that II didn't get your deposit?
If so, it's not bait and switch, because you have not lost the use of your Timeshare.
Seems like a misunderstanding, it happens.
They got my deposit. they just didn't accept it. So I would agree with you all, if the offer didn't say on it "Yes, I want to deposit my week(s)to be enrolled in 3 years of Interval Platinum FREE!". not upgrade , enroll.

I just today got an email reply from them. It says:

Promotional offers are membership-specific based on the status of the
account. While this type of promotion is sometimes offered, it is used
to entice members with lapsed accounts who have not used their
membership in years. I apologize, but not only do I not see it
available for you; it does not appear that it should've been available
for you.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 years of basic membership at 1 year rate + 3 years platinum upgrade at 1 year rate = $267 + $417 = $684. So the free platinum membership does include the basic membership.
So, it is offered, to the people they allow to use it, as a free membership, at the platinum level. They just choose not to honor there error in sending it to me. got it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I have gotten offers in the mail that were in error I was told to send them back in the mail filled out rather than trying to deposit online or trying to get the offer over the phone. The problem is the system is trying to deposit the unit bot obviously cannot since there is no valid underlying membership through the check-in date. A human has to first add the free membership and then process the deposit.

It seems weird but half of II is still stuck in the 80's. They still have trouble with automation, especially with some of the mailed offers.

It does not mean in the OP's case it will work but even if it was a valid offer tied to the account I still think an online deposit would result in a rejection notice.

As a side note it doesn't seem to be bait and switch since they aren't switching the offer with anything. They are just rejecting it outright.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
They got my deposit. they just didn't accept it. So I would agree with you all, if the offer didn't say on it "Yes, I want to deposit my week(s)to be enrolled in 3 years of Interval Platinum FREE!". not upgrade , enroll.

I just today got an email reply from them. It says:

Promotional offers are membership-specific based on the status of the
account. While this type of promotion is sometimes offered, it is used
to entice members with lapsed accounts who have not used their
membership in years. I apologize, but not only do I not see it
available for you; it does not appear that it should've been available
for you.

Everyone knows I love II but this is Just wrong. It was advertised to you, their mistake and now its not available to you, just wrong.

If this happened to me I would be upset. Being a loyal II customer, getting an offer like that would show me II is rewarding me for my loyalty, instead its available to get back customers who dropped services.

Have you spoken to Mark? I would push a little harder if you want this offer. Borders false advertising but more a slap in the face for loyal customer.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows I love II but this is Just wrong. It was advertised to you, their mistake and now its not available to you, just wrong.

If this happened to me I would be upset. Being a loyal II customer, getting an offer like that would show me II is rewarding me for my loyalty, instead its available to get back customers who dropped services.

Have you spoken to Mark? I would push a little harder if you want this offer. Borders false advertising but more a slap in the face for loyal customer.
I emailed him this morning, after seeing the post from 'taterhed'. I will update when he replies.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I have gotten offers in the mail that were in error I was told to send them back in the mail filled out rather than trying to deposit online or trying to get the offer over the phone. The problem is the system is trying to deposit the unit bot obviously cannot since there is no valid underlying membership through the check-in date. A human has to first add the free membership and then process the deposit.

It seems weird but half of II is still stuck in the 80's. They still have trouble with automation, especially with some of the mailed offers.

It does not mean in the OP's case it will work but even if it was a valid offer tied to the account I still think an online deposit would result in a rejection notice.

As a side note it doesn't seem to be bait and switch since they aren't switching the offer with anything. They are just rejecting it outright.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did fill it out and mail it to them, not try to deposit online. And the bait and switch, to me, is offering you (seemingly) a free platinum membership for 3 years, that they say is a $684 value, then they mail the form back and say they can't take the deposit because my membership ends soon, and asked me to pay for a membership.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with your post 100%. .

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I received a call today from a representative of II. Celine Cohen. She apologized for II not addressing this issue more quickly, and we very quickly compromised on a free UPGRADE to platinum for 3 years. Not quite what the offer seemed to be on the flyer, but a fair compromise, in my mind. Fair is all I am interested in.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Glad you got some satisfaction on the issue

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk