• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If customers can come in, so can you ...

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My entire family is from Ashtabula, Ohio, just over the border from Erie, so they know all about snow. I smile smugly and thank Dad profusely for moving us to Los Angeles when I was five!!
My father grew up in Indiana and worked in Chicago for a bit before WWII. He enlisted and ended up in the Pacific. When we got out after a brief stay in Japan (well about 4 years) he and my mother moved to the Los Angeles area. He said there was NO way he was going back to the mid-west Thank you Dad.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I remember many years ago snowshoeing down and up our steep 700 foot driveway to our country road to meet a coworker and her husband who volunteered to drive us the 20 miles to work in a bad snowstorm where we had over a foot of snow.

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Some of the scariest drives I remember is when it wasn't snowing at all. It was wind driven snow that had previously fallen.

Interstate 65 from Gary IN to Indianapolis is notorious because it is mostly North-South in the prairie/farmland and the prevailing winds are from the west or northwest. When budget cuts came, they stopped putting up snow fences.

We had a Chevy Citation which was mostly a PoS, BUT it made me a believer of front wheel drive cars.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing many state trucks running the roads with what seemed to be to me 10 foot high snow plow blades on the front of the vehicle.
To get out of school, that snow had to be pushed (hard) by the wind.
Fond memories in MN. Yes, drifting was the enemy as you couldn't see the road.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My entire family is from Ashtabula, Ohio, just over the border from Erie, so they know all about snow. I smile smugly and thank Dad profusely for moving us to Los Angeles when I was five!!

I'm originally from Ashtabula. Still have cousins there! Went to Edgewood High School and lived on the Eastside.

What is your maiden name? Do you still have family there?

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'm originally from Ashtabula. Still have cousins there! Went to Edgewood High School and lived on the Eastside.

What is your maiden name? Do you still have family there?

OMG, I've never run across an Ashtabulan before! Dad's side are Halligan's and Kings, and there are no more left in Ashtabula as far as I know. Marion Drive is named after my grandmother Marion King, I believe the old house from late 1800s was still there last time I looked at Google, it was across the street from "The Gulf". Great and great great grandfathers King were doctors, great ran for the state senate. Dad married Barbara Adams, and she had three sisters who married Davis, Hake, and Thomas. Only my aunt Sharon Adams Thomas (72) still lives in Ashtabula, but there are kids of the three sisters who live in the Ashtabula area. I was born in Ashtabula, but our family moved to VA where my siblings were born, then on to LA in 1960. When I was really young there used to be an Ashtabula Day Picnic somewhere here in SoCal. We went at least twice. I remember Grandma Adams was here one summer when we went, and I couldn't get over people exclaiming "Mary!" When they saw her, because her name was Grandma!

Grandma Adams side was Hungarian -- Kuhn was the last name. She married Mike Halas after my much older than her grandfather died.

geekette

Reaction score
I understand that it is a Resort and it must be staffed, but good management should have a plan in place to keep key personnel onsite in the case of an emergency.

[ETA]Just some thoughts:
  • Identify employees with high clearance four wheel drive vehicles and organize car pools.
  • Provide a bonus for employees willing to "camp out" during the emergency to keep things running.
  • If the resort does not have a high clearance four wheel drive vehicle, pay someone who has one to be onsite to help customers/employees on a steep area leading to the resort.

You don't plan to fail, but you do fail to plan.

This is ski country in the Berkshires so they expect snow, but in cases of high wind and blowing snow, you are putting your employees at risk if you insist they travel under those conditions. If someone were to become stuck and perished because they were coming into work, I would think this notice could be used against the company in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Your last line, oh yeah, big problems.

A job that normally doesn't require staying there for the weekend is going to run into problems coercing employees to sleep on a bare floor.

Frankly, it's always my call. If I judge leaving home too risky to me, I won't go. I'd rather lose the job than lose my life.

We got freezing rain ahead of the snow this past weekend. I don't leave home in ice, I live up the hill and if unable to stop at the bottom of my street, terrible things could happen. Once I make it to that road, more dangers - hills and curves and no shoulders, only downward trajectory if you leave the road. I have yet to hold a job worth risking my life.

Snow only? I have no problem in up to 6" with my sedan. I would agree that essential personnel, if required to be onsite, should be fetched at company expense. No way I'm going to rent a massive vehicle to go to work for extra hours and zero appreciation, only condescension. Further, anyone scared to drive in snow should not be on the road. They are a hazard to everyone.

geekette

Reaction score
Some of the scariest drives I remember is when it wasn't snowing at all. It was wind driven snow that had previously fallen.

Interstate 65 from Gary IN to Indianapolis is notorious because it is mostly North-South in the prairie/farmland and the prevailing winds are from the west or northwest. When budget cuts came, they stopped putting up snow fences.

We had a Chevy Citation which was mostly a PoS, BUT it made me a believer of front wheel drive cars.
Interstate 69 Fort Wayne to Indy has same issues. That wind has made median dwellers out of many unsuspecting motorists but blizzard drifting is much much worse, closing stretches suddenly with white out conditions.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Your last line, oh yeah, big problems.

A job that normally doesn't require staying there for the weekend is going to run into problems coercing employees to sleep on a bare floor.

Frankly, it's always my call. If I judge leaving home too risky to me, I won't go. I'd rather lose the job than lose my life.

We got freezing rain ahead of the snow this past weekend. I don't leave home in ice, I live up the hill and if unable to stop at the bottom of my street, terrible things could happen. Once I make it to that road, more dangers - hills and curves and no shoulders, only downward trajectory if you leave the road. I have yet to hold a job worth risking my life.

Snow only? I have no problem in up to 6" with my sedan. I would agree that essential personnel, if required to be onsite, should be fetched at company expense. No way I'm going to rent a massive vehicle to go to work for extra hours and zero appreciation, only condescension. Further, anyone scared to drive in snow should not be on the road. They are a hazard to everyone.

So true. After the ice storm we had this weekend it reminded me and I kick myself after thinking about the ice storm we had last year where I paid over $100 for a big salt and sand truck to do our driveway so I could get to work. Me and my stupid work ethic. I barely took home (after taxes) that much for a day's work.

We all know how much that new sociopath boss appreciated it!!!