• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Think I Own A Timeshare...

CrazyChef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island
Hey, new guy here!

So, long story short, I placed a bid on a timeshare on eBay a while back for $10. Apparently I won the auction, but never followed through. I thought that was the end of it.

About a year later, I started getting bills for the yearly M/F. I just ignored them, because I had never signed any documents to transfer ownership. Now I'm getting collection letters.

So I called Star Island (the resort I "own"), and they said that it was in fact deeded to me. She even sent me a copy of the recorded deed.

So, what should I do? It's a 3 bedroom lockout, and it's week 24. Yeah, last week was week 24. :eek:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
At this stage I guess it depends on how you feel about obligations, vacations, and your credit rating. You placed the bid, showing you wanted it. If you don't pay your annual nut, the other owners have to make it up, and if you are going to use it or sell (give away) it will have to be brought current. I don't know how it got transferred, (recipient doesn't need to sign) but I'm not surprised that a seller was able to do this.

If you pay it current, there is a good chance that there are some 'bonus week's you may be able to use until week 24 next year.

Oh yeah, I mentioned credit rating. You could just do nothing and see if the resort or collection agency dings your rating. If they do, it disappears in 7 years. Or so.

Good luck!

Jim

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

CrazyChef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island
No idea - but she sent me the deed via email earlier today. I'm installing a new email client on my Mac right now, but I'll look up the email in a minute and see what the transfer company is.

CrazyChef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island
Okay, it just says VOCC, Inc. on top.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is pretty darn crazy...I "won" a Marriott timeshare, gold week for a measly $25. I'm guessing the ROFR will not be waived, so I will not actually own the timeshare in the end, but now this post is making me wonder....

Hopefully you can utilize this $10 investment wisely

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hey, new guy here!

So, long story short, I placed a bid on a timeshare on eBay a while back for $10. Apparently I won the auction, but never followed through. I thought that was the end of it.

About a year later, I started getting bills for the yearly M/F. I just ignored them, because I had never signed any documents to transfer ownership. Now I'm getting collection letters.

So I called Star Island (the resort I "own"), and they said that it was in fact deeded to me. She even sent me a copy of the recorded deed.

So, what should I do? It's a 3 bedroom lockout, and it's week 24. Yeah, last week was week 24. :eek:
Just a few questions so I can give you my opinion. What do you mean you didn’t follow thru? Does apparently mean you never knew you won. How did they get your full name and address? Did you have initial contact and if so did you tell them you didn’t want it?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do you remember signing anything?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly like to see the documentation regarding the transfer of ownership if you claim you did nothing more than place a bid on ebay!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
id certainly like to see the documentation regarding the transfer of ownership if you claim you did nothing more than place a bid on ebay!

In most states, the new grantee does not sign the new deed; only the grantor(s) signature(s) would have been required. Assuming that a correct full name and address of the new grantee appears on the new officially recorded deed, it seems very odd that the grantee alleges having done nothing more than just submit a bid on eBay under a eBay user name.
There is definitely a piece (...or maybe several pieces) of the puzzle missing here. :ponder:

P.S. VOCC (cited by OP as being on the deed) might stand for Vacation Ownership Closing Company, Inc., an entity located in Branson, MO, in the business of timeshare transfer (and perhaps associated with PCC's --- I don't claim to know). :shrug:

Last edited: