• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need help ...very urgent!!!

uop1497

Reaction score
I receive a bad news and need your guidance because I am very scare, confused , upset and my mind is not work well currently. Can someone please give me your inputs and guide me so that I do not over look anything

a) I receive a notification from my current, employee about I do not have a job in 2 weeks . My last day is end of this month. I will ask your input about involuntary separate package later.

b) Today, 4 people break into my house. They take turn to kick the front door to force an entry . My house is currently a total mess and I am worry about my credit card information.

c) From a security camera, I see that they took my sentry safe, and some file folder . I am not sure what they took. I believe could be important paper and I can not tell what they took. But I can see they took some folder from my house and a our Sentry safe.

I file a burglarize report with Police , but I do not have any hope that my valuable stuff can be recovered.

Here is my question:

a) Should I replace all my credit card and bank account. Some Credit cards I left at home in a candy box inside my Computer room , not sure if they go thru all our credit card information . I plan to cancel some of them later (after my last day of work is done) because I do have the time to do that yet currently.

b) How can protect my credit history information. I am more worried that they will use my ID to open a new credit line . If I contact the credit report tomorrow, what is the best number to place a frozen on our credit . And If I place a frozen on my credit report, can I still able to close some of my credit after the end of this month

C) What is the best process and contact credit credit bureau number to place a freeze on my credit history to prevent the new credit line open without my knowledge . I know Equifax, Experian, TransUnion are the only three, but not sure if contact one of them is enough or I must contact all of them ( unsure how many of them exits currently) . If someone knows the process / answer please guide me because I need to know how long I should freeze it and whether I can still able to close the credit card still in active .

d) Should I go to the bank and close all the current bank account and replace it with a new bank account number.

e) The police report only take my husband driver license number as he is listing as the victim, but not my name, should I request to have my name including as well. is it necessary to do so

f) I have a Wifi security code link to my modem ( for account reset) . I wrote it down on a piece of paper posted on my PC monitor, do I need to change it to another code for safety and protective reason just in case. My husband does his banking online.

I am very scare confused and in shock, please be patient with me and guide me so that I can complete the important item now.

If you can think off anything important which I must take care immediately, please reply with your input so that I can take care it asap.

Thank you for reading my post here . And Please give me your best input and guidance. Thank you .

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sorry about the loss of your job.
Your severance package will depend on the terms of your employment contract (if any) and/or collective bargaining agreement (if any); otherwise, you are at their mercy and can only ask for additional compensation. You have COBRA rights to continue any employer-provided group insurance for up to two years, but the premiums do not have to be subsidized. The HR office (if any) should explain all this to you.

As for the burglary:
1. Notify and file a claim under your homeowner's policy. They will need a list of everything taken or damaged. They will need copies of any documents you have to support valuations.
2. If there's a chance they saw a list of online account passwords, change those.
3. For CC, bank or investment accounts who were exposed, go online or call them to report the possible threat and ask to change account #'s (also change online passwords).
4. Freezing your credit reports reduces the chance of identity theft. See below for how.
5. It is not necessary for you to be listed on the police report as that is for contact purposes only.
6. It is not necessary to change your wifi code. It's unlikely that they'd think that has any value.

How to do an Equifax credit freeze
You can easily freeze your credit with Equifax on their website, or via an automated phone line: 1-800-685-1111 (1-800-349-9960 for New York residents). If you’d rather talk to a human, their customer care number is 1-888-298-0045.

How to do an Experian credit freeze
To freeze your credit at Experian, you can visit their online Freeze Center. You can also call 1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742).

How to do a TransUnion credit freeze
TransUnion allows you to place a credit freeze online. You can also add a freeze via the automated phone system (or opt to speak to a live agent) by calling 1-888-909-8872.

uop1497

Reaction score
@Talent312,

Thank you for your inputs.
Do you know if I place a free on my credit history, and still want to close some of the credit card later which is still in active, can I able to do that without contact these credit center.

Is there any thing (I am missing) which need to take care immediately by tomorrow

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Not sure why you want to wait until the end of the month to cancel some of your credit cards. My advice is to call and cancel them as soon as possible. If you need a credit card, they can deliver a new one via next day delivery.

Good luck.

Richard

uop1497

Reaction score
@MULTIZ321,

What I mean is those card I plan to close permanently. Not the one I am still planing to use it.
I do not know if I place a freeze, will they able to issue a replacement one or not at this point. And for those credit cards I plan to close permanently , I am not sure if I can close it if there is a free in our credit history. if anyone know, please give me your inputs.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sorry about the job and burglary.

CREDIT FREEZE FAQS from https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

What is a credit freeze?

Also known as a security freeze, this free tool lets you restrict access to your credit report, which in turn makes it more difficult for identity thieves to open new accounts in your name. That’s because most creditors need to see your credit report before they approve a new account. If they can’t see your report, they may not extend the credit.

Does a credit freeze affect my credit score?

No. A credit freeze does not affect your credit score.

A credit freeze also does not:
  • prevent you from getting your free annual credit report
  • keep you from opening a new account, applying for a job, renting an apartment, or buying insurance. But if you’re doing any of these, you’ll need to lift the freeze temporarily, either for a specific time or for a specific party, say, a potential landlord or employer. It’s free to lift the freeze and free to place it again when you’re done accessing your credit.
  • prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts. You still need to monitor all bank, credit card and insurance statements for fraudulent transactions.

Can anyone see my credit report if it is frozen?

Certain entities still will have access to it.

• your report can be released to your existing creditors or to debt collectors acting on their behalf.
  • government agencies may have access in response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, or a search warrant.

How do I place a freeze on my credit reports?

Contact each of the nationwide credit bureaus:

Equifax
Equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services
800-685-1111

Experian
Experian.com/help
888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

Transunion
TransUnion.com/credit-help
888-909-8872
You'll need to supply your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number and other personal information.

After receiving your freeze request, each credit bureau will provide you with a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. Keep the PIN or password in a safe place. You will need it if you choose to lift the freeze.

How do I lift a freeze?

A freeze remains in place until you ask the credit bureau to temporarily lift it or remove it altogether. If the request is made online or by phone, a credit bureau must lift a freeze within one hour. If the request is made by mail, then the bureau must lift the freeze no later than three business days after getting your request.

If you opt for a temporary lift because you are applying for credit or a job, and you can find out which credit bureau the business will contact for your file, you can save some time by lifting the freeze only at that particular credit bureau. Otherwise, you need to make the request with all three credit bureaus.

What’s the difference between a credit freeze and a fraud alert?

A credit freeze locks down your credit. A fraud alert allows creditors to get a copy of your credit report as long as they take steps to verify your identity. For example, if you provide a telephone number, the business must call you to verify whether you are the person making the credit request. Fraud alerts may be effective at stopping someone from opening new credit accounts in your name, but they may not prevent the misuse of your existing accounts. You still need to monitor all bank, credit card and insurance statements for fraudulent transactions.

Three types of fraud alerts are available:

• Fraud Alert. If you're concerned about identity theft, but haven't yet become a victim, this fraud alert will protect your credit from unverified access for one year. You may want to place a fraud alert on your file if your wallet, Social Security card, or other personal, financial or account information is lost or stolen.
  • Extended Fraud Alert. For victims of identity theft, an extended fraud alert will protect your credit for seven years.
  • Active Duty Military Alert. For those in the military who want to protect their credit while deployed, this fraud alert lasts for one year and can be renewed for the length of your deployment. The credit bureaus will also take you off their marketing lists for pre-screened credit card offers for two years, unless you ask them not to.
To place a fraud alert on your credit reports, contact one of the nationwide credit bureaus. A fraud alert is free. The credit bureau you contact must tell the other two, and all three will place an alert on their versions of your report.

Additional Articles
What Is the Difference Between a Credit Freeze and Fraud Alert? - https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-...ence-between-a-credit-freeze-and-fraud-alert/
What If Everything You Think You Know About Passwords Is Wrong? - https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-...ence-between-a-credit-freeze-and-fraud-alert/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I too am sorry to hear about this and wish you the best of luck.
As a Police Officer, when taking reports on situations like this, I always suggest closing/changing the number of every account/credit card in the home if even one card or check was taken. Having your identity stolen can be a much greater and lasting headache than having belongings taken, which your home owners/renters insurance will replace for you.
As far as everything else, Alwaysonvac and talent312 have given you all the information you need.
Again, best of luck to you.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that life has thrown you a curve ball to deal with. You may feel scattered right now, but your email is structured and has direct questions. You are more aware than you may believe right now. You are doing fine.

My guess is the thieves didn't spend time to write down the credit card numbers in the candy box and leave them behind...they would have just taken the cards.

I will add a few things:
1. Yes, freeze your credit.
2. Contact your bank and let them know your concerns. They decide to change your account numbers.
3. Change all passwords to your online accounts (banking, credit cards, amazon, etc)
4. From a credit score point of view, I would not cancel the cards you no longer use. Report them as stolen and get new numbers. A handful of cards you don't use with long term history is better for your score than a bunch of closed cards.
5. You should change your wifi security number
6. Try to recall everything in the safe and what could have been in that file folder.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uop1497, you have good information. Follow it. Provide the security camera output to the police. Don't worry about the old credit card info- just change it, making the old info useless to the thieves.

Try to remember what else was in that safe- car titles, deeds, insurance policies. Much of those things can be replaced,- but not easily.

Putting all your financial and personal paperwork in a portable 'safe' then not bolting the 'safe' down only provides a handy all-in-one-place for thieves to easily be off with all that someone holds dear. Don't beat yourselves up over this. Millions of people do the same thing.

I wish you well on your upcoming unemployment. You certainly don't need the additional stress of a job ending and income being reduced. I hope you can find the stability of new employment and get back to a more 'normal' life as soon as possible.

Good Luck, & Best Wishes!

Jim

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good advice above.......I'll add some:

I'm not sure how good your wifi is or how far it is from the nearest 'public' reception area but.....
You don't want the thieves (parked on street, apartment next door?) logging onto your wifi and potentially having access to your electronic assets.
change the password and any others you have posted where they may have been seen/stolen.

sorry for your trouble.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... From a credit score point of view, I would not cancel the cards you no longer use. Report them as stolen and get new numbers. A handful of cards you don't use with long term history is better for your score than a bunch of closed cards.

I concur.
Both total-available-credit and length-of-credit-history are a major factors.
I haven't closed a 20 year old Am-Ex card with a $50K credit line I rarely use.
So, close only CC's with low credit lines that you opened most recently...
even if that means keeping a few you never intend to use again.

uop1497

Reaction score
Thank you All for valuable inputs.

My mind is now in a worsen stage than yesterday. I know there is a lot of thing to take care, but I am at a loss of what to do next. Please be patient with me because my mind is not as clear after a sleepless night. I am still in very bad stage of mind. I feel very very miserable with all mix feeling.

Since I am about to get coverage on my husband health insurance, he fills out the form with all our sensitive information ( name, DOB, SS #) and left in the kitchen counter, I visible to whoever go in my kitchen, I am sure the thief my take an image of it. Also, our passport is visible too, these thieves do not take it, but I am worried that they may capture an image of our CC and all sensitive information.

I take my hand bag too, I have not use that hand bag for a while, and not sure what is in these. maybe some sensitive information in the little purse inside

I need to fix my front door asap, I would like to know, if I go to Home depot, will I am able to get a contractor coming right away to fix it and to replace the door.

I am not a up to date technology person, can you please help to show me how I can changes a new security WIFI code

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Door replacement is pretty straight forward. Should be able to do it yourselves. I think you should start a GoFundMe page and post it on. See how many TUGGers help you out

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your FIRST call after the police should be to your home insurance carrier. They can open a claim, get the door fixed, and hire the necessary help for you.

Jim

Last edited:

uop1497

Reaction score
I have a question. Should I place an alert on my credit history as well or just the security freeze is enough to make sure no one other then myself can access my account. I contacted the Equifax and TransUnion, Equifax add the alert into my account beside Security freeze. However I was told with alert the creditor or bank can also see my credit history information. is it the best choice to add both or I should only do the credit security freeze.

Does anyone has Experian phone number with life person on phone. The provided number is for machine only, I am not sure if I have done it correctly,. Can not get to a live person. I google search and come up with this number Dial 800 493-1058, but unable to get to a live person over the phone

Please advise

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should contact the credit reporting agencies to request an initial security alert, which is a "fraud alert", be added to your report.
Tell them your identification information could have been compromised and watch for requests for any new credit. When you add an alert with any one of the three national credit bureaus your request will automatically be shared with the others.

After that, keep an eye on your credit reports. Monitor all reports for any fraudulent activity.

uop1497

Reaction score
I completed a security free on our account with three credit agency.

I stop by the two banks to take care of our checking and saving account today. One bank is left and will do it tomorrow since I ran out of time today. Two of Bank personnel suggest that I must close an account and open another one . They refuse to give me another account number using same information already in their file . Only Technology credit union not required me to do so. Just wonder if that is a right process. If any banking personnel here please give me inputs.

I have more questions.

Bank of A personnel suggest me to contact Social Security to place a freeze on my account to prevent the ID theft and notify IRS regarding the possibility of someone may use my SS to open a bank account or to seek job later. What do you think. I do not know how to get my concerns to IRS. And I never know about a freeze on my SS either. Is it necessary to do now. If A must do to secured the ID theft later, I will do so by tomorrow.

My nervous feeling finally kick in full gear since early morning. and I am very scare and nervous now. Any suggestion how I can calm myself down. I still try to be in control mode but the feeling is unbearable. DH try his best to secure the front door. As the night approaches, I am shaking and feeling unsafe. I am at a loss of what to do next.

How often you suggest I do a monitor on our credit report. Every 3 to 6 month is efficient.

I am not far to 60 range age, I do not think I can get a job in technology field any more. Companies today rather hire younger employee to replace old worker. My next job is very bleak when I do my search on line. However, Thank you for a nice input any way.

Anything thing else which you think will benefit me or may help me or I miss it, please point out so that I can completed by tomorrow.
Thank you for continue guiding me thru my difficult time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your question regarding bank accounts. You need the banks to give you new bank accounts, i.e. different account numbers.

I have no experience with Social Security, but maybe you can call them in the morning and let them know that your home was burglarized and likely that the burglars have both your social security numbers now and asked them for help/guidance on what they can do on their end or with you.

At this point you need active credit monitoring and not every 3 to 6 months. There are several companies that do so and charge you something like $8.99 per month. From my own experience, the one offered by Costco is worthless. The company which Equifax had used to alert us after their data breach was very good and it was TrustedID Premier subscription. When I applied for a new credit card, TrustedID alerted me immediately while the one from Costco (CompleteID) did not alert me at all. I cancelled the CompleteID subscription. After the year of TrustedID subscription which ended Dec of 2019, Equifax moved us to IDNotify but I really have not received any alert from them. At this point you should look at something like TrustedID Premier Product to provide you with active alerts.

With your door, you do need to have something in place to secure the entrance. We lived in nice development while we were in California and our neighbors in the in the corner had their house broken into, similarly with the doors being kicked in, tearing up the frame. It was a heavy door and they discussed with their insurers immediately regarding door replacement and how to ensure that the replacement was going to be even harder to kick in. In the meantime, they use heavy wood and nailed the wood onto the door/frame etc so that if someone wanted to come in to kick down the door again, they would find it very hard. They had to custom order the new door and it took 3 months for the new door to arrive, with better and more solid frame.

I think you are in Silicon Valley. As you should know there are cheaper areas in California or out of state that have much lower cost of living. When you sell your home in Silicon Valley, you can pretty much invest more than 50% from the sale of the home for retirement by moving to a cheaper location. Things happen in life and we have to adjust. If you cannot find a job in high technology industry again, maybe you will be forced to retire early. Can you live on your husband's wage for now until he retires? After the dust is settled with the home invasion, you can figure out what is Plan B if you never go back to work again. I wanted to work until 62 but I stopped working at 53. We don't have the amount of retirement money that we had planned to have but everything will work out in the end. Take a deep breath. There are some things you have control over and some that you don't. Don't stress over what you have no control over. If you really need a job, are you willing to take a job in a totally different industry and skillset requirement that pays alot less? If you need the money, the answer has to be yes.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would close your BoA account and stick with your credit union.
I dislike BoA intensely. Of all the banks I have ever dealt with...
They're quickest to assess fees and offer the least customer service.
No other bank asks for an ID to deposit cash, but they do. Its weird.
No other bank has closed entire drive-thru lanes, but they have.
IMHO, there's no upside to keeping an account at that bank.
<just my 2 cents>

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would close your BoA account and stick with your credit union.
I dislike BoA intensely. Of all the banks I have ever dealt with...
They're the quickest to assess fees and offer the least customer service.
No other bank asks to see an ID for a $10 deposit, but they do.
No other bank has closed entire drive-thru lanes, but they have.
IMHO, there's no upside to keeping an account at that bank.
[/soapbox:eek:ff]
Well you and I differ on our opinion of BOA. We hated Wells Fargo and dealt with them for too long. We did have an account with a local credit union that served the high tech industry and they did well. We have no fees for BOA for anything, wire, checks, non-BOA ATMs here and overseas... ;) Full disclosure, they make alot of money from us outside of banking services.

uop1497

Reaction score
Your post is hard to read. I will see if I can understand your questions.

I don't understand your question regarding bank accounts. You need the banks to give you new bank accounts, i.e. different account numbers.

I have no experience with Social Security, but maybe you can call them in the morning and let them know that your home was burglarized and likely that the burglars have both your social security numbers now and asked them for help/guidance on what they can do on their end or with you.

At this point you need active credit monitoring and not every 3 to 6 months. There are several companies that do so and charge you something like $8.99 per month. From my own experience, the one offered by Costco is worthless. The company which Equifax had used to alert us after their data breach was very good and it was TrustedID Premier subscription. When I applied for a new credit card, TrustedID alerted me immediately while the one from Costco (CompleteID) did not alert me at all. I cancelled the CompleteID subscription. After the year of TrustedID subscription which ended Dec of 2019, Equifax moved us to IDNotify but I really have not received any alert from them. At this point you should look at something like TrustedID Premier Product to provide you with active alerts.

With your door, you do need to have something in place to secure the entrance. We lived in nice development while we were in California and our neighbors in the in the corner had their house broken into, similarly with the doors being kicked in, tearing up the frame. It was a heavy door and they discussed with their insurers immediately regarding door replacement and how to ensure that the replacement was going to be even harder to kick in. In the meantime, they use heavy wood and nailed the wood onto the door/frame etc so that if someone wanted to come in to kick down the door again, they would find it very hard. They had to custom order the new door and it took 3 months for the new door to arrive, with better and more solid frame.

I think you are in Silicon Valley. As you should know there are cheaper areas in California or out of state that have much lower cost of living. When you sell your home in Silicon Valley, you can pretty much invest more than 50% from the sale of the home by moving to a cheaper location. Things happen in life and we have to adjust. If you cannot find a job in high technology industry again, maybe you will be forced to retire early. Can you live on your husband's wage for now until he retires? After the dust is settled with the home invasion, you can figure out what is Plan B if you never go back to work again. I wanted to work until 62 but I stopped working at 53. We don't have the amount of retirement money that we had planned to have but everything will work out in the end. Take a deep breath. There are some things you have control over and some that you don't. Don't stress over what you have no control over. If you really need a job, are you willing to take a job in a totally different industry and skillset requirement that pays alot less? If you need the money, the answer has to be yes.

Sorry for my post is hard to read. My mind is a mess now and I can not clearly state what I want to say.
I know that at my age, I have no other choice and may force into retire now. I do not have other skill set to look for another job type beside technology field. My English is not good and strong and only technology field does not require to talk and to speak correctly.

I am afraid that many more bad luck heading to my way since bad luck has a habit coming as a series of bad luck . I just hope I am strong enough to over come all difficulty coming toward us and my husband can keep his job until he turns 65 or 67 years old. However, I feel very bad for him since his heath is not that good either. One of my child still need my financial support and I probably hope I can find a job in similar field so that I can have the money to continue to help him.

You have a good point about the solid door. I will keep that in mind when I can find a handy man who can fix my front door. If anyone know a good trusted handy man in the Bay Area, please let me know.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call your homeowner's insurance carrier's claim department. They will arrange getting your door repaired. You need more than a handyman.