• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am worried that I will get the 200K points required to reach lifetime Gold and get the "Congratulations. You have reached Lifetime Gold status." in December. I want it to also say "which is Lifetime Platinum under our new system."
My last 10 nights to make 500 nights wil come in early Dec and post-Christmas overseas hotel stays. It is going to cut pretty close for me, but I am going with what they have published that we have until year end to get us to the finish line.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
My last 10 nights to make 500 nights wil come in early Dec and post-Christmas overseas hotel stays. It is going to cut pretty close for me, but I am going with what they have published that we have until year end to get us to the finish line.

Depending on how close to New Year's you travel, your final nights may not post until after 1/1/19. I would be prepared to call MR Customer Service to ensure you are properly credited to the correct level in 2019.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming the new Platinum is equal to the old Gold status. Looks like perks are equal.

I am currently a little short of reaching Marriott LT Gold with about 600 nights but only 1.4mil LT points. I was planning on reaching LT Gold next January by turning 2 timeshares into MR Points. Question now is will I achieve LT Gold or LT Platinum at the end of the year? Or neither?

Any suggestions on getting the 200K MR Points before August?
I have a Marriott Rewards Premier card currently.
I think I can purchase 50K MR points and maybe due the same for my wife and roll them over. Will they count?
Can I purchase points in SPG and roll over or purchase and hope they automatically combine in August?
Can I close my Chase card now and reapply? How long in between?
Can I convert timeshares now and hope the MR points show up soon? I've never done it this early and thought the MR points won't be there until January anyway.

Does your wife have a Chase Marriott card. If not, she could get the Marriott card and transfer the points to you. You could also get points for referring her. You could do the same with Starwood Amex.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Does your wife have a Chase Marriott card. If not, she could get the Marriott card and transfer the points to you. You could also get points for referring her. You could do the same with Starwood Amex.
Starwood amex converted points do not count towards marriott lifetime point total.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Starwood amex converted points do not count towards marriott lifetime point total.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Do we know if that is still true after the systems join?

Ray

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Ray
New system does not count points anymore. However when you are wanting to grandfather your status by year end, you need to play by the old rules. Marriott under current rules count points, SPG does not. So you can still accumulate points for Marriott under the current practice until end of the year.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Ray
I have transferred SPG points to Marriott and the Marriott LT total did not change. The question is, will points currently in your SPG be tallied with those in your Marriott account at the time of reckoning (midnight July 31st). Maybe not, but this is probably your best chance.

I have about 22K SPG points that would help me greatly toward reaching my 200K Marriott points needed if they do tally the points. I'm actually thinking about buying a few more.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
After I posted this I read a post in another thread that purchased points have previously been added to Lifetime totals so we go that way to pick up the last amount of points needed. Thank you Nitemaire!
You're welcome

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the posts above that state if you are close to a lifetime status tier, you have until December 31, 2018 to make that threshold. My source is the Marriott FAQ here: https://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-is-happening-to-lifetime-status

I'm in the same spot as I would have qualified for lifetime Platinum next year and now need to determine whether I can (and want to) accelerate enough points and nights. I'm at about 700 nights and 1.83 million points, so need ~50 nights and 170k points. I would have hit 720 and 1.9m via anticipated travel by year end. This is a one time chance for me to be grandfathered in to LT Platinum Premier.

I'm in the same boat. I read somewhere (Points Guy, I think) that the only way to achieve LT Plat Prem is by being LT Plat prior to 12.31.18 and getting grandfathered into that role. After 1.1.19, I don't think there is a way to "earn" LT Plat Prem status.

For me, I am 43 nights and 121k points short of LT Plat. I have some Marriott Vacation Club nights upcoming in May. Will those count toward my 43?

I may have a few LT SPG nights as well (5-10). Will those count toward the 43? How can I find out where my LT SPG nights are reflected?

I have the MR Platinum Signature Visa. How do you tell when your account anniversary is and when the 15 nights get added? Also, for every $3k spent you pick up a night, so that could help bridge that gap, right?

Assuming the above is correct, I think I am inclined to try to earn LT Plat Prem in the new system by achieving LT Plat in the current system prior to 12.31.18. At a minimum, it gets to 75% bonus rather than 50% and the SNA is better (although, admittedly, I have no clue what SNA is since I am coming from the MR world rather than SPG.)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I read somewhere (Points Guy, I think) that the only way to achieve LT Plat Prem is by being LT Plat prior to 12.31.18 and getting grandfathered into that role. After 1.1.19, I don't think there is a way to "earn" LT Plat Prem status.

For me, I am 43 nights and 121k points short of LT Plat. I have some Marriott Vacation Club nights upcoming in May. Will those count toward my 43?

I may have a few LT SPG nights as well (5-10). Will those count toward the 43? How can I find out where my LT SPG nights are reflected?

I have the MR Platinum Signature Visa. How do you tell when your account anniversary is and when the 15 nights get added? Also, for every $3k spent you pick up a night, so that could help bridge that gap, right?

Assuming the above is correct, I think I am inclined to try to earn LT Plat Prem in the new system by achieving LT Plat in the current system prior to 12.31.18. At a minimum, it gets to 75% bonus rather than 50% and the SNA is better (although, admittedly, I have no clue what SNA is since I am coming from the MR world rather than SPG.)
MVC nights count.

From my interpretation, you cannot mix the 2 brands of nights when you are trying to grandfather and you have to use current threshold criteria.

The 15 nights are awarded at anniversary month of when you signed up. You can go back and look at your cc history.

The 1 night per 3K is still in effect for the current/old card.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

No, my wife does not have the Marriott Chase Card. I will be transferring Marriott points from her account to mine anyway. Since SPG has points on sale right now (SPG 17K for $387 vs Marriott 50K for $625), I may buy those in her SPG account and transfer them to her Marriott and then to my Marriott account. I assume this will work. I've read conflicting things about this get-around trick on Flyertalk and how it might backfire.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
No, my wife does not have the Marriott Chase Card. I will be transferring Marriott points from her account to mine anyway. Since SPG has points on sale right now (SPG 17K for $387 vs Marriott 50K for $625), I may buy those in her SPG account and transfer them to her Marriott and then to my Marriott account. I assume this will work. I've read conflicting things about this get-around trick on Flyertalk and how it might backfire.

Not knowing how many points your DW has in her account, the system likely will not be able to differentiate the points you buy into her SPG account as the ones you are transferring to MR (unless you are transferring her full balance). One suggestion may be to not transfer the exact amount you buy in her SPG account. For example, buy 18k into her SPG account but only transfer 17k to her MR (aka: 51k) and then only 50k to your MR from hers. Keeping the amounts from lining up exactly may 'blur' the trail perhaps and make it less likely it backfires on you?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing how many points your DW has in her account, the system likely will not be able to differentiate the points you buy into her SPG account as the ones you are transferring to MR (unless you are transferring her full balance). One suggestion may be to not transfer the exact amount you buy in her SPG account. For example, buy 18k into her SPG account but only transfer 17k to her MR (aka: 51k) and then only 50k to your MR from hers. Keeping the amounts from lining up exactly may 'blur' the trail perhaps and make it less likely it backfires on you?

Good idea. She has about 45K, but at the price SPG is selling points, I was planning on making a purchase in both our SPG accounts anyway. They'll get transferred to Marriott in August.
.... travel package in 2020. :ponder:

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC nights count.

From my interpretation, you cannot mix the 2 brands of nights when you are trying to grandfather and you have to use current threshold criteria.

The 15 nights are awarded at anniversary month of when you signed up. You can go back and look at your cc history.

The 1 night per 3K is still in effect for the current/old card.

Just trying to confirm that the 15 nights and 1 night per 3k add to both your annual quota AND your lifetime count. If yes, 28 (24 after we get back from HHI) will be much more manageable to achieve than 43.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Just trying to confirm that the 15 nights and 1 night per 3k add to both your annual quota AND your lifetime count. If yes, 28 (24 after we get back from HHI) will be much more manageable to achieve than 43.
Confirmed.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes to the annual quota and lifetime count.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Just so it's very clear. Yes to both.

3rd time's a charm

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelled my Chase Marriott card 7 days ago and it is still showing in my online account with my 2 other Chase cards.
Any idea how long it will take to clear from my account? Is that the minimum time that I should wait to apply for the new card? Really don't want to wait a full month if at all possible.

Last edited:

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rather than opening a new thread, I thought I'd ask question here first.

Is there a way to see a night by night breakdown of all your night credits over some recent period (1 yr or so)? Basically like the activity page on the website but for nights rather than points.

As discussed above, I am at 707 and striving to get to 750 by AUG / DEC to achieve LT Platinum Premier. As such, I have an interest in making sure all of my nights have been credited and knowing when some of the others will come into the system. I can't easily find when my 15 nights from Chase Marriott Rewards Signature Visa will hit (you can only look back 90 days online and the annual summary from last year doesn't show the $95 annual fee). I also don't know when my last night for $3k spend hit to determine how close I am to the next night. Finally, I found from the points summary that they had missed a 2 night stay, so I filled out the form to get them to credit those 2 nights (I luckily had a parking receipt for the stay in my expense reports because the company paid the room rate & taxes directly).

Just want to make sure I know what I need and when I need it.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
I wish I needed 200K MR points! I need 600K to make Gold, not even going to try.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Rather than opening a new thread, I thought I'd ask question here first.

Is there a way to see a night by night breakdown of all your night credits over some recent period (1 yr or so)? Basically like the activity page on the website but for nights rather than points.

As discussed above, I am at 707 and striving to get to 750 by AUG / DEC to achieve LT Platinum Premier. As such, I have an interest in making sure all of my nights have been credited and knowing when some of the others will come into the system. I can't easily find when my 15 nights from Chase Marriott Rewards Signature Visa will hit (you can only look back 90 days online and the annual summary from last year doesn't show the $95 annual fee). I also don't know when my last night for $3k spend hit to determine how close I am to the next night. Finally, I found from the points summary that they had missed a 2 night stay, so I filled out the form to get them to credit those 2 nights (I luckily had a parking receipt for the stay in my expense reports because the company paid the room rate & taxes directly).

Just want to make sure I know what I need and when I need it.
I recommend calling them.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

hpy2go

Reaction score
This posting probably could go in any one of several topics. I'm just going to guess this one is as good as any.

I'm in the points-accelerated mode as well. Need 300K to get to LT Platinum. Trying to figure out if its worth the push to get that done in the current program. Is there a difference between the new LT Platinum and the LT Platinum Premier Elite that makes the effort worth it? I have the nights, but need the points. I can get 100K with the new CC. That gets me closer... A new Business CC and a few other things might get me within reach. Again, is it worth the push?

I applied for the new CC - hoping to get it before our Aruba Surf Club trip next month. Multiple reasons that that will be good.

I guess I may lose the 1 night credit for each $3000 spent, but now that I have the nights for LT Platinum, that seems to matter less. Isn't it all about the points now?

Did anyone else notice that on the Marriott website, they can no longer see their lifetime points? I thought that was interesting.

I also have a 7 night certificate (cat 1-5: I know I'll upgrade that). (We used our first 7 night certificate for a week at the Mauna Kea - nice!) Combining that with the SW Companion pass (BTW, thanks to TUG for helping me see that loophole last year. Boy, that's been worth $thousands... We're still on the Great Southwest Airline Adventure year. One place per month!), a nice week in Cabo sounds about right later this year. JW Marriott for a week? Of course are they going to change the categories, so I'll have to add more points for the upgrade? Maybe I should get the reservation before any changes in value.

Sigh. I wish I had the cycles to make sure I was maximizing opportunity. Maybe my TUG brethren can help me see the right approach... :)

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
This posting probably could go in any one of several topics. I'm just going to guess this one is as good as any.

I'm in the points-accelerated mode as well. Need 300K to get to LT Platinum. Trying to figure out if its worth the push to get that done in the current program. Is there a difference between the new LT Platinum and the LT Platinum Premier Elite that makes the effort worth it? I have the nights, but need the points. I can get 100K with the new CC. That gets me closer... A new Business CC and a few other things might get me within reach. Again, is it worth the push?

I applied for the new CC - hoping to get it before our Aruba Surf Club trip next month. Multiple reasons that that will be good.

I guess I may lose the 1 night credit for each $3000 spent, but now that I have the nights for LT Platinum, that seems to matter less. Isn't it all about the points now?

Did anyone else notice that on the Marriott website, they can no longer see their lifetime points? I thought that was interesting.

I also have a 7 night certificate (cat 1-5: I know I'll upgrade that). (We used our first 7 night certificate for a week at the Mauna Kea - nice!) Combining that with the SW Companion pass (BTW, thanks to TUG for helping me see that loophole last year. Boy, that's been worth $thousands... We're still on the Great Southwest Airline Adventure year. One place per month!), a nice week in Cabo sounds about right later this year. JW Marriott for a week? Of course are they going to change the categories, so I'll have to add more points for the upgrade? Maybe I should get the reservation before any changes in value.

Sigh. I wish I had the cycles to make sure I was maximizing opportunity. Maybe my TUG brethren can help me see the right approach... :)
As I see it, biggest bonus to LT Platinum Premier over LT Platinum (which you’d get presumably because you are already LT Gold) is the 25% bonus points on stays (75% rather than 50%). Also, it doesn’t appear there is anyway to achieve LT Platinum Premier except for those that achieve LT Platinum before AUG / DEC 31.

There are some suite night differences as well (SNA) but I don’t fully understand those.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am not sure how widespread it was that on the Marriott website members can no longer see their lifetime points?
Whenever I have looked recently, this information has always been displayed there.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am not sure how widespread it was that on the Marriott website members can no longer see their lifetime points?
Whenever I have looked recently, this informations has always been displayed there.
Agreed...I just checked and mine are still listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.