• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I just met a VVP owner at the hot tub -- should she keep her week?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently hanging out here in Orlando at one of my many timeshares -- a Sheraton Vistana Resort week. At the hot tub, I was talking with a woman who owns at Vacation Village at Parkway and traded in here. She's owned at VVP for a while, and is not sure if she should keep her week or not. I can give her general advice on timeshares, but I don't know the details of VVP. I used to hear good things about the MFs at VVP, but what she owns sounds like a mediocre deal, if that.

She owns a 2-bedroom EOY. She paid $10k a few years ago, and gets 55,000 RCI points every two years. She also gets a "bonus week" which she isn't sure is really worth anything -- and I suspect it isn't. She said she pays $950 in MFs, plus her RCI fees. On the Bargain Board, I just saw offered a EOY at VVP with an annual MF of $969, which provides 55,000 RCI points every two years. I suspect that giveaway week is exactly the same as what she owns.

She likes the vacations she's getting but thinks she isn't getting enough RCI points for her MFs. I think she is exactly right. But, I remember hearing here on TUG, years back, that VVP was a great deal. At the time, I suspected that VVP was keeping their MFs artificially low, and fees would soar at some point. Is that what happened at VVP? Or, are there other ownerships at VVP that are a better deal that these EOYs that offer 55k points?

I'm also not sure if she should try to get a new owner for her VVP, or if she should maybe look for a good RCI Points-for-Deposit week that would get her additional RCI points at a reasonable cost.

She's interested in traveling to Europe, but I'm not sure any US timeshare is a good value for that. Would locking off her VVP suite and giving the B-side to DAE be worthwhile? Does reserving a B-side unit at VVP cost fewer points than an A-side?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
somebody wrote on another post that these RCI Bonus weeks are not a free week, they are just an RCI certificate. You still have to pay the fee ($199+?) to use them.

My ts uses RCI's competitor Interval International; every year I get an email granting me a "free" certificate but I never use them. I have enough points.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Judy ,
Some of the details don’t fully match what I have learned on TUG .

Here is what I believe is correct / subject to additions by more knowledgeable TUG readers.

1) VVP sells fixed weeks - annual- biannual -triennial versions exist.( there may be some float week versions as well)
2)Some are sold with RCI points .
3) the RCI points contracts are in (at least) 3 denominations - ( 55K - 74K- 92.5 K) based on the value of the underlying fixed week .
4) The VVP MF is the same for all 2 bedrooms ( $ 969 +florida tax) and seems to have been stable for a number of years .

I believe the MF is only due in your ownership year .
So she is getting 55K RCI points for MF $ 969 -EOY

When buying VVP resale it is best to find the highest RCI point value ownerships.since the MF
is the same , and the cost to buy is close to $ 0 .

I assume she was offered other contract versions for more $$ than 10K when she bought from the developer / those likely came with higher RCI point values .

The bonus week can be used - and I think it can also be used at other Vacation Village properties . I think the cost of use is under $ 300 . It is designed to fill units - off season . (Added - Aurelius better explains this as 2 options in the following post)

Some folks use the RCI points to get RCI last call vacations for low cost point values .

The 2 bedroom units can be split . However if you use the default option - to take your RCI points I think not .
I think her alternate option is take the fixed week ( which perhaps can then be split
into a 2 week vacation - week 1 on the A side / week 2 on the B side ) .

To answer the question - should she keep it .

To give it away will be hard due to the lower RCI point value .
My suggestion is that she learn more usage options and how the bonus week works .
(assuming she has vacation time) - so that her total vacation usage per MF increases .

Re : Europe
Most timeshare in Europe are not in cities - Most visitors from North America want to visit
London - Paris - Rome - Madrid - Barcelona ect.
AirBnB or similar may be her best option if she wants more than a small hotel room in a major city .
Alternatively - the European river cruises or organized group packages may make sense for someone who is a solo traveller .

Last edited:

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Florida VVP have a worse MF to point ratio than their Grandview property. Florida properties include property taxes I believe plus have humidity and hurricanes to deal with.

Grandview is a VVP that has up to 110,000 points for $835 MF. The underlying week determines the point value. I own Christmas week there and get 98k points for $835.

The extra vacation certificates have little value, but every year they usually do a special where you can stay at any VV managed property for $200. I just booked a 2BR for spring break 2020 for $200 that has a ton of value to me.

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Florida VVP have a worse MF to point ratio than their Grandview property. Florida properties include property taxes I believe plus have humidity and hurricanes to deal with.

Grandview is a VVP that has up to 110,000 points for $835 MF. The underlying week determines the point value. I own Christmas week there and get 98k points for $835.

The extra vacation certificates have little value, but every year they usually do a special where you can stay at any VV managed property for $200. I just booked a 2BR for spring break 2020 for $200 that has a ton of value to me.

I'm in the process of closing on a Grandview TS. When do those specials you mentioned usually occur? And how do you get notified of them?

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of closing on a Grandview TS. When do those specials you mentioned usually occur? And how do you get notified of them?
June/July or so. You have to book by end of July. I get promotions via email.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The Florida VVP have a worse MF to point ratio than their Grandview property....
..Grandview is a VVP that has up to 110,000 points for $835 MF. The underlying week determines the point value. I own Christmas week there and get 98k points for $835.
....but every year they usually do a special where you can stay at any VV managed property for $200. I just booked a 2BR for spring break 2020 for $200 that has a ton of value to me.

Grandview - Week 51 / 98,000 RCI points / $ 835 is a really good ownership
and could actually resell for more than $1 .

Some - (ie) Canadian snowbirds & others - may prefer weeks 1 - 16 in Florida ;
and the option of RCI points .
If you just want RCI points - then Grandview has a better MF/ points cost - but the higher points weeks can cost some incremental $ amount higher than $ 1 resale.

FYI - for any future readers - not all VVP or Grandview ownerships are in RCI points
and the cost is $$$ to add this option to a resale week that is not in points .

However : the (non-point) fixed or floating week ownerships can be deposited into RCI for TPU’s .
You typically get more TPU’s if you “lock off”your 2 bedroom ownership and deposit as 2 -one bedroom units . You can also choose to stay in a 1 bedroom at the resort and deposit the “other one bedroom “.

A recent TUG giveaway - week 52 VVP was listed as generally getting 69 total TPU’when deposted this way ( 34 + 35) As a week 52 it likely gets max TPU’s

Last edited:

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview - Week 51 / 98,000 RCI points / $ 835 is a really good ownership
and could actually resell for more than $1 .

Some - (ie) Canadian snowbirds & others - may prefer weeks 1 - 16 in Florida ;
and the option of RCI points .
If you just want RCI points than Grandview has a better MF/ points cost - but the higher points weeks can cost some incremental $ amount higher than $ 1

FYI - for any future readers - not all VVP or Grandview ownerships are in RCI points
and the cost is $$$ to add this option to a resale week that is not in points .

However : the (non-point) fixed or floating week ownerships can be deposited into RCI for TPU’s .
You typically get more TPU’s if you “lock off”your 2 bedroom ownership and deposit as 2 -one bedroom units . You can also choose to stay in a 1 bedroom at the resort and deposit the “other one bedroom “.

A recent TUG giveaway - week 52 VVP was listed as generally getting 69 total TPU’when deposted this way ( 34 + 35) As a week 52 it likely gets max TPU’s

VV Parkway is super easy to trade into, or even get as an extra vacation. I have no problem getting it with my Grandview points. I’d rather have the better MF/point ratio personally. I have yet to stay at Grandview with my points actually.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

There are way more than just the Vacation Village properties available with the two Extra Vacation Village Weeks you will get. We have made great use of our extra weeks. There is a two bedroom unit at Silver Lake Resort for three different weeks of September in the availabilty. If we didn't have other plans I would be taking one of them as we really like that resort. Our friends who stayed there with us last time really liked the resort too. It is very close to Animal Kindgom at Disney World and plenty of restaurants. The exchange fee plus tax comes out to $271.27. Our younger granddaughter will be spending the last two weeks of October with us and I will be using my last extra week to book VVP when the date I need hits the 45 day mark. Both of our granddaughters love VVP.

Below is what is available as of 8/20 at 10pm ET.

Vacation Village- Extra Vacation Certificate
Vacation Village Resort members- Redeem your 2-45 day advance Extra Vacations(SM) Certificate you receive each year. For the cost of an exchange, you can enjoy a great weeklong stay at select resorts!

Region
  • Africa & The Middle East [102]
  • Asia [303]
  • Australia & South Pacific [9]
  • Canada [22]
  • Caribbean & Bermuda [1812]
  • Central America [137]
  • Europe [412]
  • Mexico [4570]
  • South America [411]
Region
  • Florida - Orlando Area [232]
  • Florida - Other [83]
  • Gulf States [90]
  • Mid-Atlantic [188]
  • Mid-South [107]
  • Midwest & Plains [47]
  • Nevada - Las Vegas Area [23]
  • Nevada - Other [19]
  • New England [17]
  • Pacific Coast [8]
  • Rocky Mountains [19]

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I am currently hanging out here in Orlando at one of my many timeshares -- a Sheraton Vistana Resort week. At the hot tub, I was talking with a woman who owns at Vacation Village at Parkway and traded in here. She's owned at VVP for a while, and is not sure if she should keep her week or not. I can give her general advice on timeshares, but I don't know the details of VVP. I used to hear good things about the MFs at VVP, but what she owns sounds like a mediocre deal, if that.

She owns a 2-bedroom EOY. She paid $10k a few years ago, and gets 55,000 RCI points every two years. She also gets a "bonus week" which she isn't sure is really worth anything -- and I suspect it isn't. She said she pays $950 in MFs, plus her RCI fees. On the Bargain Board, I just saw offered a EOY at VVP with an annual MF of $969, which provides 55,000 RCI points every two years. I suspect that giveaway week is exactly the same as what she owns.

She likes the vacations she's getting but thinks she isn't getting enough RCI points for her MFs. I think she is exactly right. But, I remember hearing here on TUG, years back, that VVP was a great deal. At the time, I suspected that VVP was keeping their MFs artificially low, and fees would soar at some point. Is that what happened at VVP? Or, are there other ownerships at VVP that are a better deal that these EOYs that offer 55k points?

I'm also not sure if she should try to get a new owner for her VVP, or if she should maybe look for a good RCI Points-for-Deposit week that would get her additional RCI points at a reasonable cost.

She's interested in traveling to Europe, but I'm not sure any US timeshare is a good value for that. Would locking off her VVP suite and giving the B-side to DAE be worthwhile? Does reserving a B-side unit at VVP cost fewer points than an A-side?

Unfortunately for her she bought what is I think is the lowest point week for a two bedroom at VVP.

With an EOY she would be paying half of the $969 a year or the full amount EOY.

Yes the smaller side unit at VVP costs less points to book but the kitchen is really small and only has a two burner hot plate.

Because there is plenty of availability at VVP she would be better off booking the resort within 45 days with one of the two Extra Vacation Certificates she gets or through the sale weeks. That would save her points to be used for other stays at other resorts.

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are way more than just the Vacation Village properties available with the two Extra Vacation Village Weeks you will get. We have made great use of our extra weeks. There is a two bedroom unit at Silver Lake Resort for three different weeks of September in the availabilty. If we didn't have other plans I would be taking one of them as we really like that resort. Our friends who stayed there with us last time really liked the resort too. It is very close to Animal Kindgom at Disney World and plenty of restaurants. The exchange fee plus tax comes out to $271.27. Our younger granddaughter will be spending the last two weeks of October with us and I will be using my last extra week to book VVP when the date I need hits the 45 day mark. Both of our granddaughters love VVP.

Below is what is available as of 8/20 at 10pm ET.

Vacation Village- Extra Vacation Certificate
Vacation Village Resort members- Redeem your 2-45 day advance Extra Vacations(SM) Certificate you receive each year. For the cost of an exchange, you can enjoy a great weeklong stay at select resorts!

Region
  • Africa & The Middle East [102]
  • Asia [303]
  • Australia & South Pacific [9]
  • Canada [22]
  • Caribbean & Bermuda [1812]
  • Central America [137]
  • Europe [412]
  • Mexico [4570]
  • South America [411]
Region
  • Florida - Orlando Area [232]
  • Florida - Other [83]
  • Gulf States [90]
  • Mid-Atlantic [188]
  • Mid-South [107]
  • Midwest & Plains [47]
  • Nevada - Las Vegas Area [23]
  • Nevada - Other [19]
  • New England [17]
  • Pacific Coast [8]
  • Rocky Mountains [19]
That's very interesting. So can these extra certificates be used at almost any RCI Points resort (obviously, depending on availability). I had assumed they were only for Vacation Village properties. And how did Vacation Village get this benefit?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
That's very interesting. So can these extra certificates be used at almost any RCI Points resort (obviously, depending on availability). I had assumed they were only for Vacation Village properties. And how did Vacation Village get this benefit?

There are a whole lot more resorts in RCI than what are available with the Extra Certificates weeks. But what is available is considerably more than just the VV properties.

From what I've gathered VV made a real sweetheart of a deal when they signed on with RCI.

What did you buy at Grandview? A two bedroom 122k, 98k, 80k, 61k or a one bedroom 61k, 49k, 40k, 30,500? Or did you buy an every other year or every third year point week?

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a whole lot more resorts in RCI than what are available with the Extra Certificates weeks. But what is available is considerably more than just the VV properties.

From what I've gathered VV made a real sweetheart of a deal when they signed on with RCI.

What did you buy at Grandview? A two bedroom 122k, 98k, 80k, 61k or a one bedroom 61k, 49k, 40k, 30,500? Or did you buy an every other year or every third year point week?

Thanks for the info - sounds like I'm getting an even better deal than I expected.

I bought an every year 61K one bedroom. I'm very pleased with the price of $135.50 plus the $224 RCI fees - no other closing costs.

Still not sure if 61K is enough to book what I want - I won't really know that until I get my RCI account and start poking around. But with the Extra Certificates, assuming I can find a way to take advantage of them, I might even have more than I need. Only drawback to the extra certificates is we'd probably need to fly to any destination, and late booking of flights can be costly.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I currently own at Grandview (2BR 122,000 pts) and VV@Bonaventure (3BR 98,000 pts). That ownership puts me at the Premier level of Vacation Village ownership.

Vacation Village has 3 levels of ownership. Base, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-45 days in advance of travel date. Premium, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-90 days in advance of travel date. And, Premier, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-180 days in advance of travel date. The bonus weeks trade as the equivalent of a 2BR so gives you more selection.

Regardless of which you have, assuming you can use them, you essentially have purchased 4 weeks of vacation time for the price of two. Which, in my book is a pretty good deal. Regardless of whether you book using your points or the bonus weeks you still pay the RCI exchange fee of $199. But, if you're booking at another VV affiliated property that exchange fee is even cheaper ($99 first 2 yrs, $119 after 2 yrs). Plus you get 25% off Guest Certificates regardless of where you book.

I try to use my bonus weeks as much as possible. Gives me great bang for the buck. 4 weeks of vacation for the cost of the 2 maintenance fees averaging out to about $500 in MF per week. Plus I usually have some points left over which I use for friends for an annual event in Vegas every November.

And, SabresFan, Vacation Village has properties in New England, Massanutten, and Williamsburg. All, within a day's drive. If you'd like to chat some more just private message me. I grew up in Buffalo and currently live in West Seneca.

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own at Grandview (2BR 122,000 pts) and VV@Bonaventure (3BR 98,000 pts). That ownership puts me at the Premier level of Vacation Village ownership.

Vacation Village has 3 levels of ownership. Base, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-45 days in advance of travel date. Premium, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-90 days in advance of travel date. And, Premier, which gives you 2 bonus weeks that can be booked 2-180 days in advance of travel date. The bonus weeks trade as the equivalent of a 2BR so gives you more selection.

Regardless of which you have, assuming you can use them, you essentially have purchased 4 weeks of vacation time for the price of two. Which, in my book is a pretty good deal. Regardless of whether you book using your points or the bonus weeks you still pay the RCI exchange fee of $199. But, if you're booking at another VV affiliated property that exchange fee is even cheaper ($99 first 2 yrs, $119 after 2 yrs). Plus you get 25% off Guest Certificates regardless of where you book.

I try to use my bonus weeks as much as possible. Gives me great bang for the buck. 4 weeks of vacation for the cost of the 2 maintenance fees averaging out to about $500 in MF per week. Plus I usually have some points left over which I use for friends for an annual event in Vegas every November.

And, SabresFan, Vacation Village has properties in New England, Massanutten, and Williamsburg. All, within a day's drive. If you'd like to chat some more just private message me. I grew up in Buffalo and currently live in West Seneca.

Interesting - do you know what it takes for each level? Does it pertain to weeks owned or RCI points? And does resale count?

Unfortunately my wife only wants to go to Disney for now, so it doesn't matter what other locations VV has. LOL. I'm definitely interested in Williamsburg - I'm a history buff. The whole family is hardcore Disney, so my main goal right now is getting more time in Orlando. So anyone with experience with VV at Parkway, I'm all (mouse) ears.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I currently own at Grandview (2BR 122,000 pts) and VV@Bonaventure (3BR 98,000 pts). That ownership puts me at the Premier level of Vacation Village ownership

I'm not familiar with some of the benefits you have so I'm guessing you may have purchased one or both of your weeks directly from the resort, not resale.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thanks for the info - sounds like I'm getting an even better deal than I expected.

I bought an every year 61K one bedroom. I'm very pleased with the price of $135.50 plus the $224 RCI fees - no other closing costs.

Still not sure if 61K is enough to book what I want - I won't really know that until I get my RCI account and start poking around. But with the Extra Certificates, assuming I can find a way to take advantage of them, I might even have more than I need. Only drawback to the extra certificates is we'd probably need to fly to any destination, and late booking of flights can be costly.

You might be surprised at the prices you can get on flights within that 45 day window. I use Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant frequently, all of which you can use out of your area. Just last week on 8/14 I booked us a non-stop flight on Spirit from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Chicago for $25 each way per person leaving on 9/24 which was under 45 days out. Of course that didn't include our bag. We find that with our under the seat roll on bags that qualify as our free personal items and one shared checked bag we are fine even for long stays. And I still manage to pack more than we need! Having the washer and dryer in our unit means we don't have to pack enough to have clean clothes for the entire stay. Our total bill for the two of us for the flight with a shared checked bag was $144. When using these airlines always book directly through their websites and pay for any bags when you book your flights. I pay the fee to join the Spirit and Frontier clubs because it pays for itself. You would only need to join yourself to be able to book the flights for your whole family who would be flying with you.

I've been flying with our granddaughters 3-4 times a year since the 8 year old was 16 months old and I never pay to pick our seats because they always keep us together anyhow. On the very few occasions my husband and I weren't seated together it wasn't an issue. The one and only time they didn't have my granddaughter seated with me I pointed it out to the gate clerk when we were checking our bag and she immediately fixed it with no problem. We also take empty water bottles to fill up after we go through security and bring our own snacks for the flight. When I fly with our granddaughters they know that Grandma will have plenty of stuff for the flight and they have to wait until we are settled in our seats at the gate before they can investigate what I've brought. PB&J sandwiches in their own ziplock sandwich bags for ease of eating, oranges, grapes, red or yellow pepper strips, cucumber slices, little tomatoes, goldfish crackers, cookies or Swedish fish are all things that are easy to pack and can be eaten easily. Depending on how much time we have to wait before we board they can have something before we board.

Go to those airlines websites and sign up to get their airfare sale alerts to start getting an idea of what you can expect to pay for flights and when the best times are to book. The nice thing about staying at the VV properties is that you can book longer than a 7 night stay in one transaction. Last year we stayed at Grandview Las Vegas for 17 nights booked in one transaction and the exchange fee was $278. I booked it when RCI had started discounting the points needed for the stay and used 29,800 points. Because we pay to have the platinum benefits with RCI I was able to get a free upgrade on the unit size within 14 days and it was upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. The VV properties are typically lock off units for the 2 bedrooms so a fellow Tugger was able to use the other side and we shared the expense, the exchange fee and the maintenance fees on the the number of points I used.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies!

Hi Judy ,
...Here is what I believe is correct / subject to additions by more knowledgeable TUG readers.

1) VVP sells fixed weeks - annual- biannual -triennial versions exist.( there may be some float week versions as well)
2)Some are sold with RCI points .
3) the RCI points contracts are in (at least) 3 denominations - ( 55K - 74K- 92.5 K) based on the value of the underlying fixed week .
4) The VVP MF is the same for all 2 bedrooms ( $ 969 +florida tax) and seems to have been stable for a number of years .

I believe the MF is only due in your ownership year .
So she is getting 55K RCI points for MF $ 969 -EOY...
That sounds right. She probably bought an off-season week. But, is the Annual Fee $969 plus Florida tax, or $969 with Florida tax? I thought I heard on another thread that the $969 includes tax.

In terms of whether she should try to give away the week or not, a lot seems to depend on the value of the Bonus Weeks she gets. I know several people here have said they have gotten good value from their Bonus Weeks. Still, is it worth paying the hig Mfs for just 55k RCI Points, in order to get those bonus weeks? She loves staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort (SVR). In fact, I am planning to meet her at the Spas Superpool there in an hour. She is interested in buying something that trades in II because II often has excellent deals on SVR. (I am currently staying at an II Getaway at SVR for $361, including tax.)

If the choice were paying, say, an extra $400 in MFs every two-years to get access to the VVP 45-day certificates, or getting a week for $0 that has low annual fees and trades in both II and RCI, which do people here think would be the better deal? Or, put another way, for someone who has access to both the Getaways in II and the Extra Vacations in RCI, would it be worth paying to get a VVP 45-day Bonus Week Certificate? If so, how much would the certificate be worth?

Last edited:

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might be surprised at the prices you can get on flights within that 45 day window. I use Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant frequently, all of which you can use out of your area. Just last week on 8/14 I booked us a non-stop flight on Spirit from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Chicago for $25 each way per person leaving on 9/24 which was under 45 days out. Of course that didn't include our bag. We find that with our under the seat roll on bags that qualify as our free personal items and one shared checked bag we are fine even for long stays. And I still manage to pack more than we need! Having the washer and dryer in our unit means we don't have to pack enough to have clean clothes for the entire stay. Our total bill for the two of us for the flight with a shared checked bag was $144. When using these airlines always book directly through their websites and pay for any bags when you book your flights. I pay the fee to join the Spirit and Frontier clubs because it pays for itself. You would only need to join yourself to be able to book the flights for your whole family who would be flying with you.

I've been flying with our granddaughters 3-4 times a year since the 8 year old was 16 months old and I never pay to pick our seats because they always keep us together anyhow. On the very few occasions my husband and I weren't seated together it wasn't an issue. The one and only time they didn't have my granddaughter seated with me I pointed it out to the gate clerk when we were checking our bag and she immediately fixed it with no problem. We also take empty water bottles to fill up after we go through security and bring our own snacks for the flight. When I fly with our granddaughters they know that Grandma will have plenty of stuff for the flight and they have to wait until we are settled in our seats at the gate before they can investigate what I've brought. PB&J sandwiches in their own ziplock sandwich bags for ease of eating, oranges, grapes, red or yellow pepper strips, cucumber slices, little tomatoes, goldfish crackers, cookies or Swedish fish are all things that are easy to pack and can be eaten easily. Depending on how much time we have to wait before we board they can have something before we board.

Go to those airlines websites and sign up to get their airfare sale alerts to start getting an idea of what you can expect to pay for flights and when the best times are to book. The nice thing about staying at the VV properties is that you can book longer than a 7 night stay in one transaction. Last year we stayed at Grandview Las Vegas for 17 nights booked in one transaction and the exchange fee was $278. I booked it when RCI had started discounting the points needed for the stay and used 29,800 points. Because we pay to have the platinum benefits with RCI I was able to get a free upgrade on the unit size within 14 days and it was upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. The VV properties are typically lock off units for the 2 bedrooms so a fellow Tugger was able to use the other side and we shared the expense, the exchange fee and the maintenance fees on the the number of points I used.
You play all the angles - I like it!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks very much for the replies!
In terms of whether she should try to give away the week or not, a lot seems to depend on the value of the Bonus Weeks she gets. I know several people here have said they have gotten good value from their Bonus Weeks. Still, is it worth paying the hig Mfs for just 55k RCI Points,

Hi judy ,
I think that if you further discuss timeshare ownership(s) with her - the question becomes :
should she “expand “ her ownership base . That really depends on how many weeks of vacation
can she use .

When I first found TUG - the concept of multiple,ownerships seemed wierd . The more TUG I read -
the more I understood the concept .

1) IMO - her 55K VVP is going to be relatively hard to give away . Learning how to get more weeks via bonus weeks etc . lowers her average cost per week .

2) If her primary goal is RCI points then adding a resale Grandview triennial / high point value will get her about 30K more points per year for a MF of less than $ 900 every 3 year’s . TUG member “Away We Go / Allen Cole “has one of these and has explained how they work in other threads .
RCI’s annual fee remains the same - so some further cost averaging savings .

3) If her primary goal is SVR - then buying a II trader resale contract that is cost effective may make sense .

Enjoy your vacation .

Last edited:

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi judy ,
I think that if you further discuss timeshare ownership(s) with her - the question becomes :
should she “expand “ her ownership base . That really depends on how many weeks of vacation
can she use .

When I first found TUG - the concept of multiple,ownerships seemed wierd . The more TUG I read -
the more I understood the concept .

1) IMO - her 55K VVP is going to be relatively hard to give away . Learning how to get more weeks
via bonus weeks etc . lowers her average cost per week .

2) If her primary goal is RCI points then adding a resale Grandview triennial / high point value will get her about 30K more points per year for a MF of less than $ 900 every 3 year’s . TUG member “Away We Go / Allen Cole “has one of these and has explained how they work in other threads .
RCI’s annual fee remains the same - so some further cost averaging savings .

3) If her primary goal is SVR - then buying a II trader resale contract that is cost effective may make sense .

Enjoy your vacation .

I think Sheraton Vistana may also be in RCI - I got this from the TUGGER-only spreadsheet
Sheraton Vistana Resort-Fountains Villas - V450
Sheraton Vistana Resort - 450

Probably more likely to find SVR in II than RCI, since I would think Vistana owners are more likely to deposit to II rather than RCI, but it at least is a possibility in RCI. I know I see both of the ones above on TripBeat.com pretty regularly, and I assume that is being pulled from RCI inventory.

I think her ideal approach, long term, would be to get out of the current one she owns as cheaply as possible and then either pick up a Grandview as discussed above or an II Trader. If she likes VV Parkway in addition to Sheraton Vistana and RCI works to get into Vistana, then Grandview might be the way to go. Also if she has any interest in DVC resorts, I assume that VV Parkway is blocked from booking DVC due to DVC blocking all Orlando resorts, while Grandview would not be. If she doesn't like VV Parkway then an II Trader would probably be the better way to go.

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Enjoy your vacation .

If her primary goal is SVR, then she can pick those up for a buck pretty easily and then no need to bother with trading. I've looked hard at them and came very close to buying before getting my Grandview contract. I would just suggest focusing on one that has floating in the platinum season or a 1-52 floater. They go by phases there - the ones that were built earlier are all fixed weeks as far as I know, and I'd generally stay away from fixed weeks unless it was for something like Christmas, New Years or July 4. And even then only if that's the time she wants to go.

Then there is always the "don't buy SVR, get SVV mandatory instead" argument, which has validity too, but would involve a larger up front cost.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
She's like to go to SVR maybe once a year or two. Yes, SVR trades in both II and RCI. The problem with using RCI for SVR is that SVR is a 1-in-4 resort -- only one reservation allowed every four years.

She's interested in Europe, but I don't think timeshares will get her to the places she wants to go there.

She doesn't sound willing to pay anything to get rid of the VVP week. I said she'd probably have to pay at least the next MF, but she said she didn't want to because she already spent so much on the week already. Sounds like she's stuck in the "sunk cost" trap -- throwing good money after bad. It's an easy trap to fall into. But, it can be a hard trap to talk someone out of.

I agree with most of the advice here. The main thing I'm wondering about is whether the VVP Bonus weeks really have value or not. If there are any thoughts on that, please let me know. Thanks!