• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Got the Job and We’re Moving to Oahu

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How very exciting for you! Best of luck! I’m envious! Not about the job, but about the place and the adventure of it!

taffy19

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. It will be different working there and I’m thinking during the week it will be similar to what we do here. And like you said there will be no hurry to get to do or see things. I will definitely learn more when I’m there.

My hours will probably be similar to what I have here, 7am to 5pm. Sometimes a little later and sometimes a little early. It will be a flexible, a little anyway.
Such an interesting thread to follow again but it will work itself out too like your Molokai purchase has done and the replacement of the car while on vacation.

I hope that everything works out soon and also the sale of your home.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
My wife gets around but she does have some difficulties. She is more comfortable getting around with me there. She also has many hobbies that she does around the house. Even here In Wisconsin there are many things to get out and do but don’t do them a lot. That may change when we’re there we’ll see.

Slip, I need to apologize to you and your wife. In my excitement for you with your move to Oahu along with our purchase of the Condo in Waikiki I projected my values, likes and desires onto to you and your wife. I should have had more incite about your likes, habits, and desires since you and your wife choose Molokai as your retirement home. While I love Molokai and keep urging my husband to take me back there for longer than the 3 days we spent there a few years ago, I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time or I would get island fever. Any place on Oahu is like going 120 miles an hour compared to Molokai.
Even though Oahu is an island, when we are in Honolulu we are too busy and stimulated to get island fever. We don't have time to get island fever.

As I said previously, you have your priorities straight as far as finding a safe neighborhood and the length of the daily commute being the most important.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
First congrats to slip on the move to Oahu!
Years ago when I worked at a DOD summer job, the mainland transplants told me the 2 hardest things were 1) lack of seasons (yes, another sunny day can get boring ;)) and 2) can't drive very far, islands are pretty compact; Oahu-Honolulu wasn't called the 'rock' for nothing....
If you can get past #1, I think you'll be fine.

Hawaiian language is pretty easy, but you have to learn the rules. Only 12 letters in the alphabet: Five vowels A,E,I,O,U, and seven consonants H,K,L,M,N,P,W. Every letter is pronounced, (technically), until you get to the colloquial pronunciations, which screws things up. Every word ends in a vowel, and there are never two consonants together. They are always separated by at least one vowel. Vowels are pronounced: A as in "aah." E is "Aay." I is "ee." O is "oh." and U is "ooh." The consonants are the same as you've ever heard them.

EXCEPT for W. When the word starts with a W, it is pronounced as a classic "double U" letter sound. When W is contained within the word, especially the next to last letter, it is often pronounced as a V. "Ewa Beach" is a V-sound word, because the W is the next to last letter. "Waikiki" is a W-sound word because the word starts with a W. So in the case above, "Iwilei" has a W not as the first letter, so is one of those V-sound words.

But just when it seems simple to understand, there are places like Wahiawa. By the rules, it should be pronounced "Wa-hee-ahV-a." But it's "Wa-hee-a-Wah." And of course, there are words where both W pronunciations are valid: Hawaii can be "Ha-Wah-ee" or "Ha-Vah-ee." So there it is. Easy as pie. Except when it's not. LOL!

One small point on pronunciation. the 'W' should be pronounced as a double-u when it's at the beginning of the word and is followed by an 'a'. In all other cases it should be pronounced as a soft 'v', but as Dave noted, there are colloquial aka 'local' exceptions.
So examples: Waikiki, Waipahu, Waianae etc are all pronounced as a double u, 'why'
Weke is a hawaiian name for a local fish, pronounced 'veh-keh'
Wiki wiki means quick, and is usually pronounced with the double-u (exception). I haven't heard anyone say it as 'vee-kee vee-kee' as it should be.

Hawai'i should be pronounced as 'Ha-vai-ee', and is by Hawaiian speaking locals. Other locals will also say it with the double-u sound.
The apostrophe glottal stop between vowels means each one should pronounced separately, and not strung together. Here's another good one, Ka'a'awa or Kaaawa is a local place name. Pronounced 'kah-ah-ah-vah'

Hawaiian is a syllabic type language like Japanese.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Years ago when I worked at a DOD summer job, the mainland transplants told me the 2 hardest things were 1) lack of seasons (yes, another sunny day can get boring ;)) and 2) can't drive very far, islands are pretty compact; Oahu-Honolulu wasn't called the 'rock' for nothing....

One small point on pronunciation. the 'W' should be pronounced as a double-u when it's at the beginning of the word and is followed by an 'a'. In all other cases it should be pronounced as a soft 'v', but as Dave noted, there are colloquial aka 'local' exceptions.
So examples: Waikiki, Waipahu, Waianae etc are all pronounced as a double u, 'why'
Wiki wiki means quick, and is usually pronounced with the double-u (exception). I haven't heard anyone say it as 'vee-kee vee-kee' as it should be.

Hawai'i should be pronounced as 'Ha-vai-ee', and is by Hawaiian speaking locals. Other locals will also say it with the double-u sound.
The apostrophe glottal stop between vowels means each one should pronounced separately, and not strung together. Here's another good one, Ka'a'awa or Kaaawa is a local place name. Pronounced 'kah-ah-ah-vah'

Great points, thanks!. I wrote what I did from memory, and didn't want to scare @slip away by overdoing the language. It started with "Iwilei." I didn't consider the 'Wa' vs. 'Vi' or 'Ve' sound, but as you mention it, you are definitely correct. I'm sure once they get there and start hearing it, things will get easier. :thumbup:

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Slip, I need to apologize to you and your wife. In my excitement for you with your move to Oahu along with our purchase of the Condo in Waikiki I projected my values, likes and desires onto to you and your wife. I should have had more incite about your likes, habits, and desires since you and your wife choose Molokai as your retirement home. While I love Molokai and keep urging my husband to take me back there for longer than the 3 days we spent there a few years ago, I wouldn't want to stay there for a long time or I would get island fever. Any place on Oahu is like going 120 miles an hour compared to Molokai.
Even though Oahu is an island, when we are in Honolulu we are too busy and stimulated to get island fever. We don't have time to get island fever.

As I said previously, you have your priorities straight as far as finding a safe neighborhood and the length of the daily commute being the most important.

No apologies necessary. While Oahu wasn’t our first choice for a place to live, I do think we will enjoy it more when we are there. There are so many things we haven’t seen or done that I know we won’t have a need for things to do. Working there will be different and my wife will have an adjustment to make because she won’t be working.

The whole thing is a big change and I can’t say how things will be with absolute certainty but we are looking forward to the change and we just have to see how it works out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

I think the season thing will be something that could change as time goes by. My wife was just saying to friends today about how she can’t wait to brag about the great weather when they are having snow storms here in Wisconsin. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
I think the season thing will be something that could change as time goes by. My wife was just saying to friends today about how she can’t wait to brag about the great weather when they are having snow storms here in Wisconsin. :)
The trade winds will always be important in Hawaii and I cannot imagine getting tired of a sunny day and a blue sky or a rainbow either in a cloudy sky.

Sometimes we miss the beauty of the spring and fall in southern CA but never the cold weather in the winter but we do miss seeing the snow in the mountains. It is such a beautiful sight even if you do not ski.

What you may miss are the long summer evenings in Wisconsin but you’ll get used to that too.

I am sure that you will visit Wisconsin again and again.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The trade winds will always be important in Hawaii and I cannot imagine getting tired of a sunny day and a blue sky or a rainbow either in a cloudy sky.

Sometimes we miss the beauty of the spring and fall in southern CA but never the cold weather in the winter but we do miss seeing the snow in the mountains. It is such a beautiful sight even if you do not ski.

What you may miss are the long summer evenings in Wisconsin but you’ll get used to that too.

I am sure that you will visit Wisconsin again and again.

We were just talking about this today. I know we will come back to visit Wisconsin but it will probably be a while. That will be good though because my daughter always complains when she comes to visit that many of her friends are busy working and she doesn’t get to see many of them.

I would run into that to. At least until some people retire in a few years. Then we would be able to visit. Otherwise a long weekend would work but we won’t want to go that far for that.

So for right now my vacations will be on Molokai, Kauai, Maui and The Big Island. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You'll find once you're on island that you'll develop a new perspective about your time in Hawaii. When you're on vacation, you have to go and do something most every day, before the vacation ends. Once you live there, you'll find you can plan for events that might be weeks away.
I know what you mean by this, we have been in Jacksonville for over two weeks and we still haven't seen the beach!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know what you mean by this, we have been in Jacksonville for over two weeks and we still haven't seen the beach!

I know, right? And isn't the beach there like the whole side of the city? When I lived in Hawaii, the only time we went to places like Pearl Harbor was when family came to visit.

Dave

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
No apologies necessary. While Oahu wasn’t our first choice for a place to live, I do think we will enjoy it more when we are there. There are so many things we haven’t seen or done that I know we won’t have a need for things to do. Working there will be different and my wife will have an adjustment to make because she won’t be working.

The whole thing is a big change and I can’t say how things will be with absolute certainty but we are looking forward to the change and we just have to see how it works out.

In view of my last post and your statement that Oahu wasn't your first choice for a place to live, I am now coming from a different place than before. When you get out of the city areas of Oahu, there are many places that are suburban and even rural much like the other islands of Hawaii. The trick would be to find an area that you would like that will also make your commute easy. Since we don't drive there I can't help you with finding those locations but by balancing the two I am sure you can find your place.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I hear of urban dwellers that make use of Uber and wiki bikes. I understand Uber pricing can fluctuate quite a bit. One warning, be careful as a driver, bicyclist, and pedestrian in town, we seem to get a lot of tragedies. MKO is a great staycation if you are patient and know how to get it through II.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DaveNW said:
You'll find once you're on island that you'll develop a new perspective about your time in Hawaii. When you're on vacation, you have to go and do something most every day, before the vacation ends. Once you live there, you'll find you can plan for events that might be weeks away.

I totally agree with you about when you are on vacation you have to go and do something every day before the vacation ends. We have spent a total of about 3 years in the last 11 in Honolulu and during some periods we do have something to do everyday sometime 3 things in one day. One thing that we don't have pressure with that short time vacationers do is going to the beach. It is right there and if it is not a nice sunny day we don't have pressure to go and take advantage of it while we are there. We do plan things weeks and months ahead. We already have tickets for New Years Eve to see Bill Maher at Blaisdell Concert Hall. We will book Symphonies, Film Festival Openings and Concerts at the Museum of Art/Doris Duke Theatre, Shows at the Hawaii Theatre, Concerts at the Blaisdell Arena, Concerts at Blue Note, Theatre Tickets at Manoa Valley Theatre, TAG Brad Powell Theatre, Kumu Kahua Theatre, the Arts at Saint Marks Garage as soon as we can since shows do sell out or the best seats sell out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DaveNW said:

I totally agree with you about when you are on vacation you have to go and do something every day before the vacation ends. We have spent a total of about 3 years in the last 11 in Honolulu and during some periods we do have something to do everyday sometime 3 things in one day. One thing that we don't have pressure with that short time vacationers do is going to the beach. It is right there and if it is not a nice sunny day we don't have pressure to go and take advantage of it while we are there. We do plan things weeks and months ahead. We already have tickets for New Years Eve to see Bill Maher at Blaisdell Concert Hall. We will book Symphonies, Film Festival Openings and Concerts at the Museum of Art/Doris Duke Theatre, Shows at the Hawaii Theatre, Concerts at the Blaisdell Arena, Concerts at Blue Note, Theatre Tickets at Manoa Valley Theatre, TAG Brad Powell Theatre, Kumu Kahua Theatre, the Arts at Saint Marks Garage as soon as we can since shows do sell out or the best seats sell out.

Holy cow, I’m not that busy on vacation.:)

I know what you mean though. It will hit us when we’re there and start to plan something a month or two out. One thing so know is that’s its going to be different for us.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Car got picked today. The auction lady was able to have ours starting 08-01-19. It’s an online auction so all we have to do is take the items we want and dispose of personal papers, pictures and paint and she will sell the rest. So that makes it easier on us. She says it will take two months to finish but she often finishes quicker. So even if the house sells fast, it shouldn’t delay closing too bad.

I put the trim back up and all I have to do yet is put in a smoke detector and paint the wall where my son did the patch on the dry wall. Then I have to pack my stuff. Not too bad.

Then in a few weeks I have to make arrangements to have my wife’s car shipped to Molokai.

We’re moving along but still have stuff to do with not much time. We’re still waiting on when the carpet will be installed too. Then we have furniture to move.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Kapolei

Reaction score
Are you considering renting a small place on Oahu and flying home to Molokai on the weekends? You should be able to make a lot of friends on Molokai if you are willing to do some shopping at Costco and bring stuff home with you on the weekends. Of course, weight is a big factor flying these days.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you considering renting a small place on Oahu and flying home to Molokai on the weekends? You should be able to make a lot of friends on Molokai if you are willing to do some shopping at Costco and bring stuff home with you on the weekends. Of course, weight is a big factor flying these days.

Yes, but it won’t be every weekend, that would get too expensive. Also, I know that would work out great for people if I could bring stuff back for them. So I’m sure that would happen.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holy cow, I’m not that busy on vacation.:)

I know what you mean though. It will hit us when we’re there and start to plan something a month or two out. One thing so know is that’s its going to be different for us.

However, since we are usually in Honolulu from around New Years Day to around May 1 so we are really NOT on vacation and we are retired so everyday is Saturday or Sunday. Living in Honolulu where the weather is always comfortable to go out particularly at night when a lot of stuff is happening we want to do things. Also, most everything we do is either in walking distance or less than a 1/2 hour bus ride. Since we are Seniors over 65 we get the senior bus pass which is $1/trip, $6/month or $35/year for unlimited rides; So transportation is practically free. When we are home many months it is cold and at night it is even colder we don't want to go out and do things. Also, while there are some things happening on Long Island, the best stuff in the area is in New York City. We are about 2 hours from New York City. Also, parking in New York City can be $50 if we drive, and the Long Island Railroad costs about $50 round trip.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wow, congratulations!!! How exciting!

taffy19

Reaction score
Car got picked today. The auction lady was able to have ours starting 08-01-19. It’s an online auction so all we have to do is take the items we want and dispose of personal papers, pictures and paint and she will sell the rest. So that makes it easier on us. She says it will take two months to finish but she often finishes quicker. So even if the house sells fast, it shouldn’t delay closing too bad.

I put the trim back up and all I have to do yet is put in a smoke detector and paint the wall where my son did the patch on the dry wall. Then I have to pack my stuff. Not too bad.

Then in a few weeks I have to make arrangements to have my wife’s car shipped to Molokai.

We’re moving along but still have stuff to do with not much time. We’re still waiting on when the carpet will be installed too. Then we have furniture to move.
I admire how organized you are and get things done so quickly. You are living your dream! :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
However, since we are usually in Honolulu from around New Years Day to around May 1 so we are really NOT on vacation and we are retired so everyday is Saturday or Sunday. Living in Honolulu where the weather is always comfortable to go out particularly at night when a lot of stuff is happening we want to do things. Also, most everything we do is either in walking distance or less than a 1/2 hour bus ride. Since we are Seniors over 65 we get the senior bus pass which is $1/trip, $6/month or $35/year for unlimited rides; So transportation is practically free. When we are home many months it is cold and at night it is even colder we don't want to go out and do things. Also, while there are some things happening on Long Island, the best stuff in the area is in New York City. We are about 2 hours from New York City. Also, parking in New York City can be $50 if we drive, and the Long Island Railroad costs about $50 round trip.

Being retired will definitely be a big change and would make a big difference. My wife was even saying she will just have to take some time and learn how to use the bus.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we signed with the auction lady today. So all we have to do is take the stuff we want, which isn’t much and then dispose of our personal papers and pictures. My son will take some of those. Then just throw anything broken and any good away.

It shouldn’t be too bad. We are setting up jet car to be shipped to Molokai tonight. That was only $300 more than sending mine to Oahu. So we hope to finish by this weekend.