• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"I flew United's 'basic economy' and discovered a huge problem with the ticket"

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
from Business Insider:

I flew United's 'basic economy' and discovered a huge problem with the ticket

• United Airlines began rolling out its basic-economy ticket — which has a number of limitations such as a no-carry-on-bag policy — in early 2017.
  • In May 2017 I purchased a one-way ticket on United's basic-economy tier.
  • During the purchasing and travel process I learned an important lesson about paying attention to pricing and budgeting when it comes to airfare.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I looked at the United basic economy tickets coming back from Orlando to Denver for the 10 of us. The price was very cheap, but we each have a checked bag and a carry-on bag. So in the end, it was cheaper to fly SW, even with the regular economy including a carry-on bag. It was still extra to check a bag on United. There seems to be no option for a ticket including a checked and carry-on bag with United.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I just purchased a United flight, and the difference between Basic Economy and Economy was only $6. No brainer. The roundtrip is on a CRJ, so no point in upgrading to economy plus because none of the seats (even the exit row) have additional leg room. E+ only gets you bulkhead, which I hate (can't stretch out my legs).

Kurt

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you have the United CC, you get a free checked bag.

Kurt
Used to have that card. I should have kept it. Would that be good for all 10 of us on the same itinerary? Our son could get the card too, I guess.

The bulkhead seats are usually a bit more room, but of course you cannot put your feet under the seat.

Frontier and Spirit have started a bad trend in economy fares.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to have that card. I should have kept it. Would that be good for all 10 of us on the same itinerary? Our son could get the card too, I guess.
I think is is only good for the cardholder +1, but not positive.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I think is is only good for the cardholder +1, but not positive.

Kurt
Yep, just plus one. Alaska Airlines is good for up to six, but have to be on the same locator number, not just the same itinerary.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I looked at the United basic economy tickets coming back from Orlando to Denver for the 10 of us. The price was very cheap, but we each have a checked bag and a carry-on bag. So in the end, it was cheaper to fly SW, even with the regular economy including a carry-on bag. It was still extra to check a bag on United. There seems to be no option for a ticket including a checked and carry-on bag with United.
My daughter is flying home from Vancouver today, on United. She got a package that included: economy plus seating, priority boarding, access to the United Club lounge and one free checked bag.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The writer appears to be at least a somewhat frequent traveler. The article shows that the United website clearly showed her fare options, and the associated rules and restrictions. The author just clicked through, without checking the details, which any experienced traveler knows is always important. Yet the focus of the article is that there is a was a "huge problem with the ticket".

IMNSHO, there was no problem at all with the ticket. The ticket she received was exactly what was described - nothing was hidden. The only "problem" is that she was careless. Even then she could have gotten a full refund and turned around and rebooked the ticket in the economy class she wanted; she says she didn't do that because she was afraid she might lose her seat. But again, if United is selling basic economy tickets for a flight, that's a clear indication that United has empty seats on the plane that they trying to fill. Thus, there is almost zero chance that the plane is suddenly going to have slim availability less than 24 hours after she purchased her ticket.

As an experienced traveler, she should know that in that circumstance she should go into the reservation system and do a trial booking to see if the flight is available and what fare is being offered. That simple step would have told her what the likely outcome would be if she did cancel and rebook.

This author does not strike me as a good resource for travel tips.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The main problem there appears to be user error on the part of the person booking.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I just purchased a United flight, and the difference between Basic Economy and Economy was only $6. No brainer. The roundtrip is on a CRJ, so no point in upgrading to economy plus because none of the seats (even the exit row) have additional leg room. E+ only gets you bulkhead, which I hate (can't stretch out my legs).

Kurt

We are in the Denver United Club after disembarking an Embraer that did have premium econmy wiht more legroom than we did in regular.

If you have the United CC, you get a free checked bag.

Kurt

Plus, as replied above, here I am thanks to my CC in the United Club enjoying a chardonnay before we board our flight to PDX!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have bought basic economy tickets twice. The first time I was able to secure an Economy plus (E+) seat way before the flight by calling UA. Second time I was assigned an E+ seat again 24 hours prior to departure. I am a lifetime Gold member.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in the Denver United Club after disembarking an Embraer that did have premium econmy wiht more legroom than we did in regular.
Yes, the Embraer jets do have some E+ seats w/ extra leg room, but the CRJs that we are flying do not, unfortunately. It is only about 1.5 hours flying time, so its not that bad.

Kurt