• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't like reading non-fiction books on my Kindle. Anyone else feel the same way?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I know I can bookmark poignant paragraphs or pages, but sometimes I want to go back and re-read something I now think is relevant to something in life or something else in the book, and I cannot find my way back.

With a physical book, I can easily find a page I want to review.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes, I agree. A lot of the non-fiction I read is U.S. history and military history, and maps and other visual aids--often included in such books--are much easier to reference and understand in a print book rather than a small electronic screen. Fiction and beach reading on the Kindle is fine. Non-fiction, not so much.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Agree, especially for technical things where one "used to" stick several fingers in the pages and flip back and forth.

Plus, when you write in the margin of a paper book, you can flip through and find the notes easily. You can make notes with Kindle, but they don't leap out at you.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes. Agree. And I pretty much only read non fiction books for the most part.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the ability to immediately look up,words I am unsure of on Kindles. Like large maps so with non fiction Imreadvon electronic devices with larger screens. For some reason Imprefer newspapers and magazines over the Kindle versions.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I agree with the challenge of locating something I've read on earlier pages when I read on a Kindle. I have the issue with fiction books too when I'm reading them for my book club...during our discussion, I sometimes want to read a sentence to the group, or check details of a description...and it seems much harder to find things with a ebook.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I toted several books on our current trip, and I am glad I didn't download them to Kindle. Kindle is fine for fiction, but I really don't read fiction much. The thing with non-fiction is I have people who always want to read my books, so I don't have to keep them around.

It took me a few times to realize how hopeless it is to reference back to something on my Kindle. What a waste that thing is for me, except I can play games on it.

Now my mother-in-law loves romance novels, and I load books on her Kindle, at least two per week. She is 89 and lives in a world of her own with Hallmark movies and romance novels and getting her hair and nails done every week. I wonder if she gets bored with her routine. I offered to break up her routine with a trip to Branson this fall, and she turned me down flat.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fiction or non-, I still prefer the tactile experience of holding and reading a physical book. I've tried eBooks, and I can easily read through them--I just prefer hard copy.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I bought my husband a Nook as an anniversary present about 8 years ago and he likes an e-reader even more than he thought he would. Just recently it won't charge anymore so now he has a Kindle Fire. I promised myself when I gave him the Nook that I would keep my hands off it so I didn't end up taking it over. I read faster than he does and if there is a book we both want to read he will give it to me to read first even if he has already started the book.

He has books loaded that he has read, knows I would like and has tried to interest me in using his Nook and now the Fire. I have yet to read more than a short chapter on either one of them before handing it back. No thanks, I want a real book. I'm a big disappointment to him in that I just don't care for e-readers. That surprised both of us as I'm the one who loves my computer and cellphone and to use the gun owners phrase you will pry them from my cold dead hands. He teases me that if I had to carry my own heavy bag of books up a flight or two of stairs when we stay at a resort with no elevator that I'd learn to like an e-reader real fast! The things we do for love!

I strongly suspect when the library starts having books I really want to read available electronically but not in print that I will suck it up and get over my aversion to e-readers.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I started my digital reading on a kindle. I progressed onto Android tablets. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. I also have Kindle Paperwhite, which I think is a third generation. My tablet is superior in every way, other than portability, battery life, and when you are in a bright environment where reflection off the tablet would be an issue like being outside.

I bought my mother a Kindle Fire and absolutely hate it. Every time I go to help her, there are tons of open spam windows. No access to the Google Play store prevents you from using common apps like gmail or chrome.

IMHO, a kindle is ok for just reading text. A Kindle Fire is ok if you want a tablet, but have a tight budget, just realize the limitations.

When it comes to the topic of this thread, some of the digital usefulness depends upon the formatting of a given volume. I have seen this with magazines. Some are great on tablets and some are little more than scanned images. I suspect the same could be true of non-fiction books, or a better way to differentiate might be mixed media books. Whatever you read needs to be designed for the format you are reading in.

If you shop at Costco, I recommend picking up a Samsung Tab A 10.1. They are frequently on sale for a little over $200. You have 90 days to try it out and return it if you don't like it. I love reading on mine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Brett

Reaction score
I started my digital reading on a kindle. I progressed onto Android tablets. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. I also have Kindle Paperwhite, which I think is a third generation. My tablet is superior in every way, other than portability, battery life, and when you are in a bright environment where reflection off the tablet would be an issue like being outside.

I bought my mother a Kindle Fire and absolutely hate it. Every time I go to help her, there are tons of open spam windows. No access to the Google Play store prevents you from using common apps like gmail or chrome.

IMHO, a kindle is ok for just reading text. A Kindle Fire is ok if you want a tablet, but have a tight budget, just realize the limitations.

When it comes to the topic of this thread, some of the digital usefulness depends upon the formatting of a given volume. I have seen this with magazines. Some are great on tablets and some are little more than scanned images. I suspect the same could be true of non-fiction books, or a better way to differentiate might be mixed media books. Whatever you read needs to be designed for the format you are reading in.

If you shop at Costco, I recommend picking up a Samsung Tab A 10.1. They are frequently on sale for a little over $200. You have 90 days to try it out and return it if you don't like it. I love reading on mine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I also progressed from a kindle to a Samsung tablet. With a tablet you can use various ereader apps like Prestigio, Mantano, Lithium, etc that allows you to notate, click an internet link, expand maps and 'easily go back to previous pages". I would suggest to anyone considering tablet ereaders to check them out at a place like Best Buy.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
love my kindle, its increased my reading 10fold or more...i finish a book a week easy (read instead of watching tv to fall asleep).

kindle unlimited has so many books to choose from for free, i never run out of pages to turn.

combine that with the jax public library offering thousands and thousands of ebooks to borrow thru their website and i can read just about anything.