• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I’m in Hawaii now

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Jeff-
I'm not familiar enough with Oahu to know where you are working and living, but we went to a small restaurant near Pearl Harbor for breakfast before we toured PH. Breakfast was so good! I seem to remember the prices being decent too. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...150-Reviews-Forty_Niner-Aiea_Oahu_Hawaii.html If you are in the area give it a shot. (I think Diners, Drive-ins and Dives could film a segment there.)

We also went to a pizza place https://www.brickfiretavern.com/ Food was phenomenal and I was shocked at how busy it was. We were lucky to get a table without a rez. I read an article on MSN about the best pizza joint in every state and this was it for Hawaii. Parking was scarce but the food was worth the effort.

Gina

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The best breakfast I ever had in Honolulu was at the counter of a drugstore, that I assume is no longer there. This was back in 1970. It is where I first had French toast with coconut syrup.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The best breakfast I ever had in Honolulu was at the counter of a drugstore, that I assume is no longer there. This was back in 1970. It is where I first had French toast with coconut syrup.

Was that at a Kress Store? They had lunch counters. Kind of like Woolworth counters.

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff-
I'm not familiar enough with Oahu to know where you are working and living, but we went to a small restaurant near Pearl Harbor for breakfast before we toured PH. Breakfast was so good! I seem to remember the prices being decent too. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...150-Reviews-Forty_Niner-Aiea_Oahu_Hawaii.html If you are in the area give it a shot. (I think Diners, Drive-ins and Dives could film a segment there.)

We also went to a pizza place https://www.brickfiretavern.com/ Food was phenomenal and I was shocked at how busy it was. We were lucky to get a table without a rez. I read an article on MSN about the best pizza joint in every state and this was it for Hawaii. Parking was scarce but the food was worth the effort.

Gina

Thank You for the recommendations!! I’ll be checking them out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I just got my car and dropped it off at the apartment. Just having some lunch before I take the rental car back. Then I’ll just walk back to the hotel for now. It’s only two blocks away.

I check on the electric while I was at the apartment and it wasn’t on yet but will be by 4pm. I’ll go back later and start the refrigerator and maybe shop later today or tomorrow.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just got my car and dropped it off at the apartment. Just having some lunch before I take the rental car back. Then I’ll just walk back to the hotel for now. It’s only two blocks away.

I check on the electric while I was at the apartment and it wasn’t on yet but will be by 4pm. I’ll go back later and start the refrigerator and maybe shop later today or tomorrow.
Just curious (& don't want to page through previous posts) when did you ship the car? Wondering how long it took?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just curious (& don't want to page through previous posts) when did you ship the car? Wondering how long it took?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They picked it up on 07-15-19 and I was able to pick it up today. They originally told me I would be able to pick it p on 08-08-19

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet your Wisconsin plates are a conversation starter! Do you have a dedicated parking place inside a garage or is there just a surface lot?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Was that at a Kress Store? They had lunch counters. Kind of like Woolworth counters.

Dave
Dave, it was so long ago I don't remember. I think it was on the main drag, and it had to be in town since my friend and I were walking everywhere. We'd bought a book "Hawaii on $10 a Day" (all of the other travel books were like Europe on $5 a Day) and this was a recommendation for someplace cheap, or at least reasonable, to eat.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Dave

Or a Rexall Drug Store. Remember those?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Or a Rexall Drug Store. Remember those?

I do remember Rexall on the Mainland, but not in Hawaii. In the 1960s there were Kress Stores in Honolulu that had lunch counters. There were also Kresge stores, I think, which went on to become K-Mart. I don't know if Kress and Kresge were the same company. I was thinking it might have been one of those that Luanne visited.

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bet your Wisconsin plates are a conversation starter! Do you have a dedicated parking place inside a garage or is there just a surface lot?

Yes, I have a dedicated covered space, that was a big plus. I have to get a temporary safety check then take that to the DMV.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went and got a tv then I went to the Walmart and did some shopping. When I came over to go shopping the guy was here turning on the power. So I went shopping right away. It was perfect timing.

Here’s the tv. I got a 43 inch, plenty for this small place. The other is the canal again. I just love watching the Paddlers go down the canal. :thumbup:

9334A853-8063-4E70-8E30-E3ACBB12B787.jpeg
E6C130A9-2A70-4E79-8757-1A9E2337FDC7.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is that TV from Costco? ;)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After I watched some tv, I stopped for dinner as I walked back to the hotel. I stopped at Paia FishMarket Waikiki. Mahi tacos and a side of Calamari. Oh and a Big Wave of course. :)

3E95A368-7163-4B36-9EAE-64E702A17F47.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I broke down and had a Hula Dog for lunch today. Yep, same as a Puka Dog but I like them both. :)

F61522B2-8FE0-4FAC-8CC6-40A4F87AFEBD.jpeg
6C93C59C-5307-4591-A57C-01828EB3AEAA.jpeg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have all the junk food you want before the wife arrives. You'll be traipsing down to the Barbies with Mahi Mahi after she shows up. She might let you have a Longboard, but only if you behave. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Remind me - what's the difference between a Hula Dog and a Puka Dog?

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have all the junk food you want before the wife arrives. You'll be traipsing down to the Barbies with Mahi Mahi after she shows up. She might let you have a Longboard, but only if you behave. :)

She told me I have to take her to Hy’s Steakhouse when she gets her. We went on our 25th anniversary. Can’t wait for that.

Yes, I’m still on vacation. Monday I’m back to work and will get into a routine. But I still have the weekend. :thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

I am SOOOO happy for you! I've followed both of your threads and love the fact that you have made this work. I spent one universtity semester at the Manoa campus on exchange (from Oregon State) and have very fond memories of life on Oahu. Mind you, it was a broke college student, not someone making a career move! It was a looong time ago (1975) but it appears that some things haven't changed, like the wonderful public bus system that can take you anywhere on the island for cheap.

What I remember (and miss most) about "living" there was the smell - the wonderful flowering trees everywhere that gave off just a divine scent to what even then was a fast pasted large city (albeit minus smog due to the tradewinds). My only tip is if the bakery in the Ala Moana shopping center is still there (it was by the bus stop) be sure to grab some of their Hom Bow for a quick lunch on the go and their fruit moon bean cake is to die for!

Congrats on making this happen! And ENJOY!!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff,

I am SOOOO happy for you! I've followed both of your threads and love the fact that you have made this work. I spent one universtity semester at the Manoa campus on exchange (from Oregon State) and have very fond memories of life on Oahu. Mind you, it was a broke college student, not someone making a career move! It was a looong time ago (1975) but it appears that some things haven't changed, like the wonderful public bus system that can take you anywhere on the island for cheap.

What I remember (and miss most) about "living" there was the smell - the wonderful flowering trees everywhere that gave off just a divine scent to what even then was a fast pasted large city (albeit minus smog due to the tradewinds). My only tip is if the bakery in the Ala Moana shopping center is still there (it was by the bus stop) be sure to grab some of their Hom Bow for a quick lunch on the go and their fruit moon bean cake is to die for!

Congrats on making this happen! And ENJOY!!!!

Thank You!!

I will check up on your tips too. :thumbup: