• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I’m in Hawaii now

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It was time to start a new thread now that I’m in Hawaii now. I’m actually on the plane to Kona and then I have a short flight to Oahu.

Does anyone know if they are still working at the airport in Kona. Last time I was there I had to go out and go back through security because I was leaving out of the other section.

Now I can relax for six hours. :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It begins. :D

Have a great time, and don't let the stress get you down. Keep your eye on the prize. This is an adventure you'll never have again. :)

I notice your location change in your profile. Tell me that wasn't exciting to write! (And wait till it says Molokai!) :D

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm surprised you are routed through Kona. I would have thought there were more flights into Oahu.

Reminds me of the first time dh ever went to Hawaii. It was with me, before we were married. At that time you couldn't fly direct to Maui from the San Francisco Bay area. We had the option of going through Honolulu, or Kona. I picked Kona. Dh was shocked when we landed. All he could see was black lava rock. Not exactly what he'd pictured Hawaii to be.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It begins. :D

Have a great time, and don't let the stress get you down. Keep your eye on the prize. This is an adventure you'll never have again. :)

I notice your location change in your profile. Tell me that wasn't exciting to write! (And wait till it says Molokai!) :D

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Really the only stress I have was leaving my wife behind with things to finish up. But she’ll be done with that stuff next week and then just has to finish up with work and fly out. So it will all be good.

When I changed that to Honolulu, I never thought of that. That’s going to be great!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Reminds me of the first time dh ever went to Hawaii. It was with me, before we were married. At that time you couldn't fly direct to Maui from the San Francisco Bay area. We had the option of going through Honolulu, or Kona. I picked Kona. Dh was shocked when we landed. All he could see was black lava rock. Not exactly what he'd pictured Hawaii to be.

My 1971 high school graduation gift was a three day trip to the Big Island from my home on Oahu. When we landed at the (now closed, old) Kona Airport, all I could see was lava rock. There was much less going on in those days, so there was a lot of bare rock around Kona town. it was like being on another planet.

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm surprised you are routed through Kona. I would have thought there were more flights into Oahu.

This was a miles flight and all the ones more direct were twice the miles. I’m by myself and still get there early so I took this one. It was only 22,500 miles. Much better than the $975 for the ticket because it was booked so close. :thumbup:

I thought the same thing about the Big Island when I went there. That’s actually one of the reasons I don’t recommend it for a first time visitor. Unless of course they want to see the volcano.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This was a miles flight and all the ones more direct were twice the miles. I’m by myself and still get there early so I took this one. It was only 22,500 miles. Much better than the $975 for the ticket because it was booked so close. :thumbup:

I thought the same thing about the Big Island when I went there. That’s actually one of the reasons I don’t recommend it for a first time visitor. Unless of course they want to see the volcano.
Well at least on that trip we did go on to Maui, which was much more what dh thought Hawaii would be like. Over the years we've spent quite a bit of time on Maui, and on the Big Island. He came to appreciate that lava rock. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well at least on that trip we did go on to Maui, which was much more what dh thought Hawaii would be like. Over the years we've spent quite a bit of time on Maui, and on the Big Island. He came to appreciate that lava rock. :)

I like the Big Island too. There is something about the way it looks that fills you with wonder. Beautiful in it’s own way.

Next time I’m there I will be spending some time in Hilo. That’s where one of our warehouses are. I haven’t spent much time there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I like the Big Island too. There is something about the way it looks that fills you with wonder. Beautiful in it’s own way.

Next time I’m there I will be spending some time in Hilo. That’s where one of our warehouses are. I haven’t spent much time there.
Hilo is fun. When we'd go to the Big Island we'd spend a couple of nights in Volcano Village. We'd always go into Hilo just to poke around. If you have a chance, eat at Cafe Pesto.

Hilo was the first place in Hawaii that I ever went. Back then (late 1960's) the "big" airport was Hilo. So that's where we landed, spent the night, took a quick tour of the area and had dinner at the Volcano House, then on to the Kohala coast the next day where we spent a few nights at the Mauna Kea, which was the only resort there at the time. I remember being impressed with the lush vegetation and the beautiful flowers just growing in people's yards.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilo is fun. When we'd go to the Big Island we'd spend a couple of nights in Volcano Village. We'd always go into Hilo just to poke around. If you have a chance, eat at Cafe Pesto.

Hilo was the first place in Hawaii that I ever went. Back then (late 1960's) the "big" airport was Hilo. So that's where we landed, spent the night, took a quick tour of the area and had dinner at the Volcano House, then on to the Kohala coast the next day where we spent a few nights at the Mauna Kea, which was the only resort there at the time. I remember being impressed with the lush vegetation and the beautiful flowers just growing in people's yards.

I’ll definitely check out Cafe Pesto.

taffy19

Reaction score

I agree with you.

When we took my husband’s sister and family there the first time, they felt the Island very eerie and barren like they had landed on the moon and thought that the whole island was going to be like that.

They and our Welsh friends too found out soon, after the first ride from the airport to our timeshare in Kona, that Hawaii has so much more to offer than lava and barren land and they all wanted to come back again.

After we sold our timeshare, we started staying in Hilo and everyone liked the rainforest side so much better plus the volcano was much closer too. We were lucky to see it active every time and snow on Mauna Kea. Who would expect that in Hawaii? It is true and we even saw people skiing too.

We like all the Islands but for different reasons and would fly to Hilo again if the volcano was active otherwise we would try Kona again or Waikoloa where we have never stayed yet overnight.

We know that it is much windier there when we visited the Hilton Resort. We drove everywhere on the Island and it’s beautiful plus some very nice beaches too. :) I still hope that we can go back again one day...

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Really the only stress I have was leaving my wife behind with things to finish up. But she’ll be done with that stuff next week and then just has to finish up with work and fly out. So it will all be good.

When I changed that to Honolulu, I never thought of that. That’s going to be great!
I hope that you will find a place in Oahu that is close to your store or warehouse, a safe neighborhood and comfortable and not too expensive. Oahu is expensive so you really have to look hard.

Good luck but you will do it and succeed! Good luck has been with you all the way so far, slip.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Best of luck and enjoy! You got this!:clap:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Best of luck and enjoy! You got this!:clap:

Thank You!!

I’ve been following your thread too, Good Luck and You got this too!!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grabbed a bite to eat now I just wait about 45 minutes until my last flight.
The airport is still under construction so I had to go out and back through security. I booked the trip through United and they put me on Hawaiian for the last flight but my TSA Pre didn’t post so I had to take out all my electronics, which was half my bag. But it went quick the line wasn’t long.

It rained really hard after I got in the restaurant so it is muggy now that it stopped raining.

Three hours and I should be in the hotel. :thumbup:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Grabbed a bite to eat now I just wait about 45 minutes until my last flight.
The airport is still under construction so I had to go out and back through security. I booked the trip through United and they put me on Hawaiian for the last flight but my TSA Pre didn’t post so I had to take out all my electronics, which was half my bag. But it went quick the line wasn’t long.

It rained really hard after I got in the restaurant so it is muggy now that it stopped raining.

Three hours and I should be in the hotel. :thumbup:

Have a safe flight and best of luck on your new adventure. Not raining here in North Kolaha.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got off the phone with my wife. I wanted to call before it got too late.
Staying at Ohana Waikiki East. Not bad, plenty of room and it has a little kitchenette. The first three pictures are my view.

E079E7AD-5E4F-42D5-A496-3BB16A9B84AC.jpeg

343E3E9A-8B52-435C-8CE2-B831F147C310.jpeg

BA9DD847-2EB8-4D1D-BEE2-F70BCE133251.jpeg

DE4DB701-A2F9-4C58-A9AA-0C007105E252.jpeg

Now to relax for a few hours before I get dinner.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My old stomping grounds. :)

Aloha, Kepe. E komo mai.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is there a website for the translation? :D

Emmy, there aren't any exact words, but in Hawaiian it basically says, "Greetings, Jeff. Welcome!"

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
Emmy, there aren't any exact words, but in Hawaiian it basically says, "Greetings, Jeff. Welcome!"f

Dave
I figured that but the Hawaiian people are bringing their language back and are actively teaching it to the younger generation and reviving their culture too. This is wonderful!

We love the Merry Monarch and try to watch it on TV when we are there. You see it almost better on TV than in reality without being uncomfortable because of the high humidity. You can see the people using fans to cool themselves during the show.

I also saw a performance in March this year under the huge Banyan tree in the heart of Waikiki Beach by walking by there by accident. It was really nice and I saw the sunset too during the performance. They only asked for a donation at the end of the show.

Someone told me that they perform twice a week to help pay for other young students to join the program too.

Jeff and his wife may try to check this out when they are living in Honolulu in the next few years.

We were also there one year when the SPAM festival was celebrated and we almost missed our flight because of the long lasting Parade.

We know better now to check out the itinerary of the city celebrations that may hinder the traffic again on our way to the airport.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thread, with photos. thanks for posting. Hopefully, we will be in Hawaii next July 2020, after my Granddaughter graduate from college May 2020.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I figured that but the Hawaiian people are bringing their language back and are actively teaching it to the younger generation and reviving their culture too. This is wonderful!

We love the Merry Monarch and try to watch it on TV when we are there. You see it almost better on TV than in reality without being uncomfortable because of the high humidity. You can see the people using fans to cool themselves during the show.

I also saw a performance in March this year under the huge Banyan tree in the heart of Waikiki Beach by walking by there by accident. It was really nice and I saw the sunset too during the performance. They only asked for a donation at the end of the show.

Someone told me that they perform twice a week to help pay for other young students to join the program too.

Jeff and his wife may try to check this out when they are living in Honolulu in the next few years.

We were also there one year when the SPAM festival was celebrated and we almost missed our flight because of the long lasting Parade.

We know better now to check out the itinerary of the city celebrations that may hinder the traffic again on our way to the airport.

My wife was just talking about all the things we’ll be there for now!

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great thread, with photos. thanks for posting. Hopefully, we will be in Hawaii next July 2020, after my Granddaughter graduate from college May 2020.

Yep, I’ll be here. I really have to think about my vacation now. I really don’t know when I will take it. I’m a corporate employee now so I get a couple more days and of course we always took it in the winter to get away from the cold and snow. So this will be different. :)

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a feeling, I am going to be really bored this month until my wife gets here so I’ll apologize ahead of time for all the posts. o_O