• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Highlands (Carmel)

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Hyatt Carmel but have only used our regular week - have not converted to points to stay in Carmel during a time other than our owner's week. The unit we have is the single level unit - great for the two of us, but not as private as the townhome unit if you have guests. I know there are fewer town homes than single level units - does anybody know how hard it is to get into the town home style unit if you plan ahead and aren't asking for prime time.

Also, on the booking site it just shows 1 bedroom units - does not specify which floor plan you are booking. If you call Hyatt, can you get them to confirm the town home stye unit ahead of time - if it shows as available? Or is it pretty much pot luck - no guarantees.

Thanks!

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the type of unit you get depends on your check in day.

I definitely prefer the townhome 2 story units. The other units are studios to me.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the type of unit you get depends on your check in day.

I definitely prefer the townhome 2 story units. The other units are studios to me.

I do know the 200 buildings get one check in day, the 300 buildings get another, and the 400 buildings get Sunday - but, there are townhomes and one level units in at least two of these categories - so you still don't know what you are getting. I asked a sales person and they said likely you would have to call the vacation club before booking or contact the front desk and see if they can confirm you in one or the other. But, 2/3 of the units are one level - so the chance of getting a town home is much slimmer.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I do know the 200 buildings get one check in day, the 300 buildings get another, and the 400 buildings get Sunday - but, there are townhomes and one level units in at least two of these categories - so you still don't know what you are getting. I asked a sales person and they said likely you would have to call the vacation club before booking or contact the front desk and see if they can confirm you in one or the other. But, 2/3 of the units are one level - so the chance of getting a town home is much slimmer.

This morning, I got an Interval exchange into a 1 BR with a Saturday check in. Does anyone have any guess as to whether the exchanges get the 1 story or the townhome (2 story) units?

Also, I read a posting mentioning that the unit was recently refurbished. Have all of them been refurbished or just some? There are several old tripadvisor reviews mentioning that the units were in need of refreshing. Any insight would be appreciated. :clap:

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
BJR,
I'm sorry that this is off-topic, but I was just curious as to how long you had to wait for your confirmation from I I and when are you going? I'm thinking about putting in a request, but it would be for the summer of 2015. Thanks!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BJR,
I'm sorry that this is off-topic, but I was just curious as to how long you had to wait for your confirmation from I I and when are you going? I'm thinking about putting in a request, but it would be for the summer of 2015. Thanks!

I put in a request for about 12 different locations (including Maui, and Kauai) in December 2013. So I waited 3 months. I used a late July 2013 2 BR Marriott Canyon Villas deposit (low TDI). The Hyatt exchange that I got was for early August. I think that what helped in this case was I accepted a 1 BR in exchange for my 2 BR deposit. I bought e-plus to leave open the possibility of a retrade, but I doubt that I'll see any 2 BRs open up.

I had read that Hyatt had made a mini-bulk deposit recently. When that happens, it lowers the bar and make exchanges easier. If you have a request in place, make sure that you augment it with manual searches.

Do you have a request in place?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
BJR,
Congrats on your reservation. We had a friend who stayed there last summer. I understand that the one bedroom units are beautiful. She had a Saturday check-in and she had a one-story unit. However, she had plenty of room for her family of four! I have a request in place for all of July of 2015, but we are on the point system with Vacation Internationale. So, it's a like for like exchange. We're probably not as high as you were on the priority list, since you traded a two-bedroom unit. We'll keep our fingers crossed and thanks for your encouragement! Enjoy your stay!

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Saturday check-in is for the 200 and 300 units. There are both single level units and town home style units in these numbers. Before we purchased at Highlands Inn, we also exchanged through Interval. We were really spoiled and got a fabulous unit - part of the reason we ended up buying.

The town home style is great for more privacy, an added bathroom, and an extra tv - plus the top floor usually has some type of view of the ocean, but we find for just two of us, the one level is quite convenient and works just fine. You can see the fireplace and TV from just about anyplace in the unit - and there is a large window for viewing the spectacular scenery.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the Saturday check-in is for the 200 and 300 units. There are both single level units and town home style units in these numbers. .

On the confirmation it says unit 207. Assuming that it doesn't change, do you know if that is a single level or a town home style unit?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unit 207 is a single story unit with the horizon view.

What does "horizon view" mean? Does it mean that you can see some sliver of the ocean at the horizon? I finally found a resort layout map and see that unit 207 is away from hwy 1, which is good.

Last edited:

linmcginn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Highlands Inn

We stayed in a 1 bedroom townhouse in December. The nice thing about the townhouse was the ocean view from the upstairs bedroom + the additional bathroom. If you have problems with stairs, then this unit is not for you. While there we checked out the 1 bedroom single story units which were in the process of being refurbished. Units are small but nicely done. Some have ocean views. Great for 2 people! The location of this property is amazing!

cinco777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a 22x townhouse (Sat - Sat) at Highlands Inn. For our most recent stay, our daughter and husband joined us for the weekend. They slept downstairs and appreciated having a separate/ private area to themselves and having their own bathroom with a shower. They also enjoyed the fireplace (the HI provides ample firewood to have a fire morning and night). Our townhouse has a view of Point Lobos. A year ago, I took a 12x photo from Pt. Lobos State Park and was able to make out both our downstairs (balcony) and upstairs windows. Our townhouse is listed as Horizon view although we enjoy ocean views from both floors.

Our townhouse is scheduled to be refurbished before September. Many units have already been completed and look great - we toured an ocean view unit as part of the marketing presentation. Replacing the carpeting, table, chairs, mattress, headboard, etc. only takes part of a single day - we observed them working on a unit one day. All units are also scheduled to get fireplace inserts to cut down on pollution. The HI was just sold to II so we will have to see if these plans are completed, as scheduled, this year.

We enjoy the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur area and are now looking to buy another HI timeshare (single level 1BR) for us and our children to use. We buy our timeshares retail.

We are spending the Memorial Day week at the Marriott Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe. Our timeshare is a 2BR lockout. We were skiers and the MTL was our favorite place to stay as we and family members would take the Gondola to mid-mountain each day.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Most all of the units at this resort face the ocean. Many (most the second floor units) have nice to great ocean views. BUT many of the first floor units have their view limited by other buildings or by heavy landscaping.

If you are like us and like to do alot of walking while at the resort. The highway right in front of the resort is very narrow and a danger to walk on so We take a back road from the resort up the hill which bring us out to the highway where it is much wider and safe to walk on. Then we walk about another 1/2 mile to the state park. You can also drive to the state park OR drive to the entrance of the park and park on the side of the hwy so you do not have to pay the entry fee. OR lastly drive another 1/2 mile toward town and there is an old daycare on the side of the road. Next to the daycare is a really nice walk along the ocean at the base of a neighborhood

Enjoy Carmel

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most all of the units at this resort face the ocean. Many (most the second floor units) have nice to great ocean views. BUT many of the first floor units have their view limited by other buildings or by heavy landscaping.

If you are like us and like to do alot of walking while at the resort. The highway right in front of the resort is very narrow and a danger to walk on so We take a back road from the resort up the hill which bring us out to the highway where it is much wider and safe to walk on. Then we walk about another 1/2 mile to the state park. You can also drive to the state park OR drive to the entrance of the park and park on the side of the hwy so you do not have to pay the entry fee. OR lastly drive another 1/2 mile toward town and there is an old daycare on the side of the road. Next to the daycare is a really nice walk along the ocean at the base of a neighborhood

Enjoy Carmel

Have you ever ridden bikes to Point Lobos? I will have to check out your walking route and see about riding bikes there when I am at HI next month. Thanks for the tip.

taffy19

Reaction score
We were there two days ago and saw bikers on the roads inside the park. They are not allowed on the trails.

Point Lobos is beautiful and very well worth seeing and the trails are easy to walk. They are wide enough too because there is poison oak but you never get close enough to touch it if you walk on the trail.

Our weather couldn't have been better so many pictures turned out great. :)

We preferred it over the 17 mile drive but that was very nice too. This is a beautiful area.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Have you ever ridden bikes to Point Lobos? I will have to check out your walking route and see about riding bikes there when I am at HI next month. Thanks for the tip.
The area of the resort is hilly so we have not ridden bikes from the resort. But we have ridden bikes in Monterey along the water.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does "horizon view" mean? Does it mean that you can see some sliver of the ocean at the horizon? I finally found a resort layout map and see that unit 207 is away from hwy 1, which is good.

Horizon view differs. It generally means you don't have a full ocean view. But, in looking at many of the units with the sales staff, some horizon views are pretty decent - especially from the upstairs of a townhome - and some are not quite as good. Generally there is vegetation in the way, a chimney, a building, etc.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Horizon view differs. It generally means you don't have a full ocean view. But, in looking at many of the units with the sales staff, some horizon views are pretty decent - especially from the upstairs of a townhome - and some are not quite as good. Generally there is vegetation in the way, a chimney, a building, etc.

Thank you for this information!

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I frequent the Highlands, and usually as an owner that is trading for a different week. Therefore, I must make a request at the front desk for my preference. If just the wife and I, I prefer the single level. If a guest then the townhouse. We have always been lucky in regards to the front desk accommodating our requests.

I would not relay along on what room an RCI reservation may note, and certainly contact the front desk 10 days before move in.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I frequent the Highlands, and usually as an owner that is trading for a different week. Therefore, I must make a request at the front desk for my preference. If just the wife and I, I prefer the single level. If a guest then the townhouse. We have always been lucky in regards to the front desk accommodating our requests.

I would not relay along on what room an RCI reservation may note, and certainly contact the front desk 10 days before move in.

I would 100% agree. The one level is great for a couple - but the sliding door and shared bath - even though it is well partioned off (toilet in its own room with a door, shower behind a door, etc.), make it a little less private. Also, the TV swivels between the bedroom and the living area - so only one TV if you have guests staying in the living area. The townhome is more private for more than just a couple - has an extra bathroom. However, that being said, there are two townhome floor plans - a closed floor plan and an open. The open looks down to the living area below - again, better for a couple if they want to see the fireplace below - but less private if you have guests downstairs. So many choices.................

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I always forget about is the stupid hanging TV between the bedroom and the living room. One of us always gets a hard bump to the head. So afterward, I move the table and chairs under the TV as a late warning

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
We own a 22x townhouse (Sat - Sat) at Highlands Inn.

We enjoy the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur area and are now looking to buy another HI timeshare (single level 1BR) for us and our children to use. We buy our timeshares retail.

day.

We buy our timeshares retail! Nobody commented on this statement? Like saying "I always insist on paying the sticker price for a car "

The resale price for Hyatt weeks ( excluding some ski weeks ) is at least 50% off the developer retail price. Why would anyone want to pay $25,000 for a week that sells frequently for. $10,000. And, why would you ever admit this sin ( by TUG standards) in public?

Check the ROFR database by searching for bywindkal.

:eek:

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

We buy our timeshares retail! Nobody commented on this statement? Like saying "I always insist on paying the sticker price for a car "

The resale price for Hyatt weeks ( excluding some ski weeks ) is at least 50% off the developer retail price. Why would anyone want to pay $25,000 for a week that sells frequently for. $10,000. And, why would you ever admit this sin ( by TUG standards) in public?

Check the ROFR database by searching for bywindkal.

:eek:

Why criticize this person for making the statement that they buy retail? I didn't think that was the purpose of this forum. They are a member of this site and quite likely know about resale. I don't see a problem with reminding folks that they can get a unit for less, and how much less - especially if they are newbies to the timeshare world and need to be educated. But I don't think the intent of the site is to be critical of someone that wants to buy retail. They obviously have a reason they want to buy from the developer. Maybe they like choosing a specific unit, maybe they like the ability to convert to hyatt gold points, etc. They were just making a simple statement that they buy retail. I know many members of this site buy resale, but there are probably many others that have bought developer for one reason or another. I know I certainly bought my first unit from the developer - it was pre-construction so no resales, and I am a Marriott Rewards point junkie so that was appealing. Same for my parents.
Maybe I interpreted your comment/opinion wrong - but it seemed a bit critical/sarcastic of the OP, and we don't want to chase people away. No hard feelings. It is like I said in a previous post today - different strokes for different folks.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know many members of this site buy resale, but there are probably many others that have bought developer for one reason or another. I know I certainly bought my first unit from the developer - it was pre-construction so no resales, and I am a Marriott Rewards point junkie so that was appealing. Same for my parents.

Sure many of us purchased retail, but typically not after they learn about the resale market. It is quite peculiar, though if someone has money falling out of their pockets, well then I can comprehend that.