• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Grand Aspen a few questions from first time visitors

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUGGERs, hoping someone can answer a few questions about Hyatt Grand Aspen and Aspen skiing. We (family with two kids ages 5 and 8) are from NorCal and have neven been to Aspen. Just got an exchange into Hyatt Grand Aspen via II for Dec 8-15.

1) What is the name of the closest walkable ski resort to Hyatt Grand Aspen? (seeing a few in Aspen so wasn't sure)
2) I know there is a shuttle from the airport to the resort; would you still recommend a rental car?
3) We are Hyatt owners, just not at Aspen. Would we need to pay any daily resort fees?
4) Silly question, but is it worth it to bring our own ski equipment from home and fly with it or is it easier to just rent there?

Thanks so much!

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only walkable resort is Aspen Mountain (or Ajax as some call it). The tickets you buy will be good at Aspen/Aspen Highlands/Buttermilk/Snowmass. We loved Aspen and Aspen Highlands - both are fun to ski and have beautiful scenery. I thought Snowmass was boring (seemed pretty flat and just not as challenging with not as much variety as the others - it would probably be good for kids, though). We didn't try Buttermilk.

I would think you could get away without a rental car. There's plenty to do within the village itself and I think there are shuttle buses that take you to Aspen Highlands and Snowmass.

Bringing your own ski equipment is a personal decision. You'll probably have to pay to check your ski equipment with the airline but that would probably still be cheaper than renting.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Aspen Mountain, five minute walk down the street. There are no easy runs at this hill though, so if anyone is inexperienced, they may want to try Snowmass.
2) Depends, are you only there to ski, or do you want to get out and do something else? If just skiing, probably not worth it. There are free busses (the main terminal is across the street from the Hyatt) which will take you around town or over to Snowmass. Also, the property is in middle of town, so if you want to go walk the town its easy.
3) IF you did the trade internally using Hyatt's system, then no additional fees.
4) This is subjective. Some people really like their own equipment and have it tuned to how they ski. The equipment we have rented there has always been top notch. Everything has been the newest stuff from the better equipment manufacturers.

It's a great property in a great location. Have fun!

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded through II, any ideas what the associated resort fees would be?
Thanks so much for your input! Our kids are intermediate skiers, so sounds like we may need to go to Snowmass.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input! Our kids are intermediate skiers, so sounds like we may need to go to Snowmass.
Both Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highlands have plenty of intermediate terrain that you can ski top to bottom. Maybe do a day or two at Snowmass first to get your kids comfortable?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know enough about II or how II trades into Hyatt to answer this. Hopefully someone else will.

If they are intermediate level skiers, then they should be fine on Aspen Mountain. Snowmass, Buttermilk, Highlands, etc... might be fun for a different location to ski, and I think that if you buy a multi-day pass it will work for any of the properties.

Coloradorunner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Mountain Vista
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We stayed in the summer on an Interval exchange and were charged valet/parking fees but not resort fees. There are tons of restaurants and shops around the resort, so fun to walk around the town. You can easily rent skis there, if that's what you prefer. It's a short walk to the Aspen gondola, but there is no easy/green terrain there. Snowmass would be a drive/shuttle, but it is a great area to ski for kids. With a 5 year old, I would think that would be fun. The skiing in early December could be pretty limited. Last year, Aspen Mountain didn't open hardly any runs until December 19, just to warn you.

Last edited:

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in the summer on an Interval exchange and were charged valet/parking fees but not resort fees. There are tons of restaurants and shops around the resort, so fun to walk around the town. You can easily rent skis there, if that's what you prefer. It's a short walk to the Aspen gondola, but there is no easy/green terrain there. Snowmass would be a drive/shuttle, but it is a great area to ski for kids. With a 5 year old, I would think that would be fun. The skiing in early December could be pretty limited. Last year, Aspen Mountain didn't open hardly any runs until December 19, just to warn you.
Thanks so much! Quick question--any preferred buildings or floors to request for this resort? Not familiar with it at all hence my question :) we are supposed to be in a 2bd2ba unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about II or how II trades into Hyatt to answer this. Hopefully someone else will.

If they are intermediate level skiers, then they should be fine on Aspen Mountain. Snowmass, Buttermilk, Highlands, etc... might be fun for a different location to ski, and I think that if you buy a multi-day pass it will work for any of the properties.
Thanks for the info!

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highlands have plenty of intermediate terrain that you can ski top to bottom. Maybe do a day or two at Snowmass first to get your kids comfortable?
Great idea. I have also been reading that Buttermilk is supposed to be great for kids.

Coloradorunner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Mountain Vista
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Buttermilk's scheduled opening day is December 8, so it would be fun for kids if it's open. As for room requests, as an Interval trader, I doubt you'd get to choose. It's actually a very small resort. There is only one building. We were on the main floor near the lobby, which was fine, although if I was given a choice, a top floor room might have had nicer mountain views. We spent time at the pool and every other person we talked to was a Hyatt owner, which led me to think that Interval trades are rare, and Hyatt owners likely get the better rooms with views.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buttermilk's scheduled opening day is December 8, so it would be fun for kids if it's open. As for room requests, as an Interval trader, I doubt you'd get to choose. It's actually a very small resort. There is only one building. We were on the main floor near the lobby, which was fine, although if I was given a choice, a top floor room might have had nicer mountain views. We spent time at the pool and every other person we talked to was a Hyatt owner, which led me to think that Interval trades are rare, and Hyatt owners likely get the better rooms with views.
Absolutely! We are also hyatt owners at hyatt high sierra lodge but I doubt that matters. I was really surprised to see this on interval instant exchange, because I really have not seen too many good things on interval lately.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
TUGGERs, hoping someone can answer a few questions about Hyatt Grand Aspen and Aspen skiing. We (family with two kids ages 5 and 8) are from NorCal and have neven been to Aspen. Just got an exchange into Hyatt Grand Aspen via II for Dec 8-15.

1) What is the name of the closest walkable ski resort to Hyatt Grand Aspen? (seeing a few in Aspen so wasn't sure)
2) I know there is a shuttle from the airport to the resort; would you still recommend a rental car?
3) We are Hyatt owners, just not at Aspen. Would we need to pay any daily resort fees?
4) Silly question, but is it worth it to bring our own ski equipment from home and fly with it or is it easier to just rent there?

Thanks so much!

The resort has a shuttle that can take you to the other ski areas and as mentioned above the bus depot is right across the street. Even if you don't ski at Aspen you should come back early one day and use your lift ticket to ride the gondola to the top and back to enjoy the view and sunset at the top.

There is plenty to do in town so that a car is not necessary but we enjoyed a day trip to Glenwood Springs and there are some other interesting sights nearby. There are a couple of markets that are an easy walk from the Hyatt. Your kids might also like the fire house and museum in town.

We were not charged a resort fee last year on an II exchange. One thing to check is that some units are multi-level and which could be an issue for some with young children.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Quick question--any preferred buildings or floors to request for this resort? Not familiar with it at all hence my question :) we are supposed to be in a 2bd2ba unit.

Hyatts are fixed unit, fixed week units. As a result, there is no such a thing as requesting a view or a particular room. You will be placed in the room which the weeks owner vacated/exchanged which HRC subsequently deposited into II. There is a room number next to "Unit" on the II Hyatt week in the "My History" section of the II website. This is the room number which you will be assigned upon check-in. You will not be disappointed at the Grand Aspen is a great property.