• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt getting intense about going to an update

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Just got a welcome call from Hyatt on my upcoming stay and she kept insisting that I attend the welcome update meeting. I finally had to hang up because she would not take no for an answer

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a welcome call from Hyatt on my upcoming stay and she kept insisting that I attend the welcome update meeting. I finally had to hang up because she would not take no for an answer
Where are you staying?

Edward Druy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Windward Pointe Beach House Hacienda del Mar Pinion Point
They always call prior to your stay, even if using CUP points. They are desperate. I tell them I am having guests that week, don’t know their schedule, and can’t commit. They’ll catch you again at checkin: same response.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They always call prior to your stay, even if using CUP points. They are desperate. I tell them I am having guests that week, don’t know their schedule, and can’t commit. They’ll catch you again at checkin: same response.

They have done 12 calls so far welcoming me to their resort and requesting that I attend an update. The bummer is that I’m waiting on a call from their area code this the reason I keep answering the calls

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
They have done 12 calls so far welcoming me to their resort and requesting that I attend an update. The bummer is that I’m waiting on a call from their area code this the reason I keep answering the calls

Isn’t it just annoying? I don’t go on vacation to get an Update. I go to unwind, recharge, relax and spend those precious moments with loved ones.

Sadly, I just get rude with them and tell them I have an update for them and that’s not doing business while on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you wait until you arrive at the resort, you will get a better "gift". Otherwise, signing up in advance will get you a lesser "gift". [Gift = $$$]

northjerseyjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Wellington (Newport, RI), Hyatt Residence Club Coconut Plantation (Bonita Springs, Fl), Inn on Long Wharf (Newport, RI)

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

I love when people act like I don’t know how to hang up from a call. Do they actually think they have to give me permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

12 calls before you arrive - that's crazy! I've never known Hyatt to be that pushy/aggressive. Is that a sign of desperation to sell points? Or orders from headquarters on how to do business the Marriott way? Or both??

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
12 calls before you arrive - that's crazy! I've never known Hyatt to be that pushy/aggressive. Is that a sign of desperation to sell points? Or orders from headquarters on how to do business the Marriott way? Or both??

Probably both. They have a poor product to offer, know it, but need to make sales to keep the new MVC management happy. To make more sales, they can: 1) Improve the product offering, costs money = won’t happen any time soon. 2) Reduce the barrier to entry (reduce price per point or number of points required to purchase), reducing cost per point reduces profit margin... better to reduce total points required. Either way total profit is reduced, but by reducing points allows management to state that margins are steady. 3) Increase sales pressure tactics. It has a low increase in marginal costs but higher probability of both irritating the customer base and increasing recession rates after sales.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Probably both. They have a poor product to offer, know it, but need to make sales to keep the new MVC management happy. To make more sales, they can: 1) Improve the product offering, costs money = won’t happen any time soon. 2) Reduce the barrier to entry (reduce price per point or number of points required to purchase), reducing cost per point reduces profit margin... better to reduce total points required. Either way total profit is reduced, but by reducing points allows management to state that margins are steady. 3) Increase sales pressure tactics. It has a low increase in marginal costs but higher probability of both irritating the customer base and increasing recession rates after sales.

Very true.

They are unfortunately in a business model that has a bad reputation. They regularly deal with defaults and recession exercised, people buying resale at a fraction of what they are trying to sell the product for, they add fees and increase other fees regularly, they compete with the rental markets and use pressure and trinkets to gain an audience.

Yes, a tough business. If they review their model and make changes to their approaches, I think they will do so much better. However, that’s my opinion and they have their own reasons why they stay stuck in the the same approaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score

Same here! Also going to Coconut Plantation. They have called me every day for a week and finally I gave in and picked up. Really gave me the hard sell about attending a sales presentation (oops I mean "Owner update" in Hyatt-speak). I kept telling her I wasn't interested and she kept saying she should just pencil me in for a time in case I change my mind, since "seats are going fast". I told her again I wasn't interested.

It's annoying and seems clear they are pushing their employees to get more people into the portfolio program. I do not like being rude or hanging up on people but there is only so many times you can politely say "no thank you" before you get fed up.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We checked in very late last night so we dodged the sales team. I love this Hyatt it’s very nice but there is no way I’m going to an update. My vacation time is precious to me.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We just left Sunset Harbor this morning after a nine night stay. We got one welcome call from the concierge and declined attending the update with no problem. Ironically, we never received the traditional welcome call from the resort asking our time of arrival, parking needs, etc. We had no further contact with the concierge.