• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Willa

taffy19

Reaction score
Are any TUGgers in Puerto or in Nuevo Vallarta?

Let's hope that it will not be as bad as when Hurricane Kena damaged the Malecon, oceanfront homes and several hotels severely, including the Sheraton Buganvilias and the Buganvilias Club on the same property. They were closed for over a year and a half.

They have started to evacuate hotel guests already on the oceanfront in PV.

https://www.vallartadaily.com/hotel...llarta-before-the-arrival-of-hurricane-willa/

There are shelters set up already that locals and tourists will be directed to go to, if necessary.

Last edited:

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
We have friends at Lindo Mar right now. The soonest they could fly home is tomorrow at 5:30pm. Wishing them luck!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I am in Nuevo now - arrived Friday before Willa was even born - Great timing, huh!!!

So far, everything is fine except for periods of rain; really no wind to speak of. The forecast is for it to go North and just skirt PVR with little impact - maybe some wind and certainly rain tomorrow. It is supposed to turn eastward tomorrow; I would not want to be in Mazatlan.

They were taking down lots of umbrellas today - but not much other activity.

Mike

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am in Nuevo now - arrived Friday before Willa was even born - Great timing, huh!!!

Mike

while your waiting for Willa - you can go back and read PamMo's post(s) from fall 2015 & your questions on how Vidanta handled that hurricane .
{very organized staff & planning is my recollection }

hoping it makes landfall between PV & Mazatlan and quickly looses force in the mountains.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Between PV & Maz, there is not a whole lot of built-up places. Just small villages of farmers and fisherfolk. I hope the people there have warning and are able to be prepared.

taffy19

Reaction score
I hope that nobody will get hurt. I remember, a few years ago, that we were warned that many people on the coast were going to be hurt or even wiped out but the path of the hurricane changed completely and did a lot of damage in the inner part of the country instead.

My thoughts are with you tomorrow. Please, let us know.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We are sitting out on the balcony on the 6th floor looking out toward the bay - really no wind with broken rain clouds. When we look at the radar, it would seem we were in heavy rain and at least some wind. So far, it has been a non-event for us except for periods of rain.

We pray for all the folks North of us; the good news is it does seem like these Mexican mountains do a number on hurricanes.

Mike

rpennisi

Reaction score
The future weather map shows Mazatlan has the storm going right over it. The PV, NV area will probably have storm surge problems.
Good luck to all!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Are any TUGgers in Puerto or in Nuevo Vallarta?

Let's hope that it will not be as bad as when Hurricane Kena damaged the Malecon, oceanfront homes and several hotels severely, including the Sheraton Buganvilias and the Buganvilias Club on the same property. They were closed for over a year and a half.

They have started to evacuate hotel guests already on the oceanfront in PV.

https://www.vallartadaily.com/hotel...llarta-before-the-arrival-of-hurricane-willa/

There are shelters set up already that locals and tourists will be directed to go, if necessary.

That was the year we bought 2 Buganvilias weeks resale! We did not get to use them for 2 years! But, Buganvilias did not charge us a MF until they reopened!!! :) We had already booked Mayan Palace Marina and went about a week after the hurricane. It is amazing how fast they recover!

We head out to Buganvilias in 18 days and will be in PV for 3-1/2 weeks, so we will be able to watch the recovery first-hand. One week we will be at Rancho Banderas which is between Bucerias and Punta de Mita. It has a great beach and clear water. It is a small resort with all the units up in a cliff and I hope it fares well. We have been looking forward to the quiet hideaway.

taffy19

Reaction score
We are sitting out on the balcony on the 6th floor looking out toward the bay - really no wind with broken rain clouds. When we look at the radar, it would seem we were in heavy rain and at least some wind. So far, it has been a non-event for us except for periods of rain.

We pray for all the folks North of us; the good news is it does seem like these Mexican mountains do a number on hurricanes.

Mike
True, the Sierra Madre Mountains may have saved a hurricane disaster again in Banderas Bay like they did with Hurricane Patricia that PamMo referred to in her post with the right link. I couldn't remember the hurricane name but the forecasts were very alarming and that I remember.

Mike, I love the photo that you posted. This area has beautiful sunrises and sunsets too. I am so glad that it was a non-event for you and everyone else.

I wonder if calberry's friends decided to fly home rather than staying at the Lindo Mar Resort until the end of their vacation. It is a classic Mexican resort with beautiful cathedral windows looking out over the ocean. You just never know what to do in an event like this.

Phyllis, have a great vacation this year at the Buganvilias and the other resort that you mentioned. The Buganvilias didn't charge us either for the time we missed at our resort. They had good insurance so we were covered.

They sent us the locations of the shelters today but they were not needed.

i-H8BFR4P.jpg

"Ubica tu Refugio temporal mas cercano" - "Locate your nearest temporary shelter"

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have friends who live nestled in the mountain between Punta Mita and Sayulita. We got a text last night that everything was OK with them. :) So, it sounds like the Bay protected our little slice of Paradise again! :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears the storm damage could have been much worse. It came ashore about 50 miles south of Mazatlan, so the counter-clockwise spin would have put the storm surge and bulk of the rain and wind much further South. We will be there in January and suspect the historical center and beachfront Golden Zone will be their usual welcoming selves. Some extra rain won't hurt.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Everything back to normal at Vidanta; Sunny, comfortable - round of golf completed, lazy river this afternoon.

Hopefully very little damage up North.

Life is good.
Mike

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hope the Mexican locals fared as well :ponder: