• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I had read about that on Saint Martin/Sint Maarten. Not sure that the USVI has had as big of an issue, though thefts and looting had been reported on St John. The problem is that no one was looking. The local police force was not prepared and overwhelmed. Unfortunately people in desperate situations can do the unspeakable, especially in places like Saint Martin where there was a total loss of government infrastructure, no food, no water and no electricity. It left people with no hope. I don't condone any of these actions, but I also I don't ever want to be in their shoes in the same fight for survival.

Agreed dioxide45...in a much less severe situation here in usually calm and civil Connecticut a few years back when a major snowstorm caused major extended power outages across the state for a week or more in some areas, when a few gas stations here and there had their power restored and the long lines started where people were waiting hours to get gas for their home generators, etc....fights broke out, knifings, etc, etc. all over getting gas. Portable home generators were being stolen right from peoples yards while in operation. And that was just from being out of power for a week. No major damage to homes and no lack of food like these folks are experiencing.

There is a very thin line between control and chaos in situations like this, and there is little difference in how some people react whether on an island in the Caribbean or in little old Connecticut, USA.

Or in any place where you have a huge disparity in wealth, and, therefore, in the means to prepare and rebound from disasters. But I think it's a disproportionate response to call what happened a "hidden agenda" on behalf of "the local citizens." Tragic, disappointing, heartbreaking, scary, yes....but not a "hidden agenda" on behalf of all full-time residents. I would say that the vast majority of "local citizens" responded by trying to help their neighbors as much as they could in a world that was turned upside down.

Agreed with all of this...not to condone the looting and violence by a few bad actors, but desperation can also have a very powerful impact on normally law-abiding people as well. I heard something in a segment tonight on cable news that was about another topic entirely, but which applies to this situation -- we don't really realize how fragile our civilization really is, and how easy it can be to lose the structure, respect, and civility that we all often take for granted. When something like this happens, some may become desperate for their survival, while others see it as an opportunity to take advantage of the sudden lack of services and structure and do bad things.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the criminals. I don't care about the criminals desperation. I'm sure they are the few. Every one there is desperate, but not to the point of dying if they don't rob others. These are not good people driven to do bad. They are wolves waiting for the opportunity provided by the storm. It's much harder to protect yourself from a huicane than it is a wolf. I hope that if the thug picks up a machete, he finds his would be victim prepared.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it occurs In the USVI I hope the good people are prepared in spite of the foolish and misguided government that is supposed to protect them and ensure the "fragile civilization" survives. I don't know if there was any action taken on the order but I find this disturbing:

http://www.snopes.com/virgin-islands-order-seizure-weapons-irma/

Last edited:

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Errr... Hmm.. Take a closer look at the tree's and landscape. All of the vegetation has been stripped of foliage and leaves.

Also look at the color of the water in what used to be the swimming pools. Would you swim in a green algae pool at a luxury resort? I don't think so. Maybe the buildings held up. But there is most definitely damage.
As Dioxide also said, the vegetation will grow back quickly without a lot of human help although we can't really tell how many palm trees when down - they will need replanting. We were in St. T in 1994 and then returned in 2001 and were a little shocked by what we saw after the 1995 and 1999? hurricanes - there were few palms over 8' tall. Marriott had just taken over the hotel which we stayed at in 2001 which I think had a number over issues from the previous hurricanes.

The Cove does seem to be in good shape over all - not sure when this picture was taken but there does seem to be a lot of cars parked at both the Cove and hotel - maybe residents still using it for shelter or rental cars left by guests since the airport was not open to take them back?

Don't think anyone is planning to swim in the pools anytime soon, plenty of time to get them ready providing no other damage. The Morningside Beach looks heavily eroded though, could have some impact on the walkway down. We have a trip scheduled to the Cove in November so hoping that they do reopen then.

Chuck

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

sawhaley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove
Waterside by Spinnaker
Errr... Hmm.. Take a closer look at the tree's and landscape. All of the vegetation has been stripped of foliage and leaves.

Also look at the color of the water in what used to be the swimming pools. Would you swim in a green algae pool at a luxury resort? I don't think so. Maybe the buildings held up. But there is most definitely damage.
Landscaping and cleanup is easy to fix, and required after every storm, even just a bad southern thunderstorm. I was definitely speaking of structural damage.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It shows not just Marco Island, but a lot of Florida. I wonder when exactly this satellite photo was taken. I was hoping it would be updated regularly but it's the same every day.

I don't think it's a satellite photo. If you look at the top of the NOAA web page under "Downloads" you will see there are listings for Sept 11 Flight 1, Sept 11 Flight 2, Sept 12 Flight 1, etc. These appear to be damage assessment photos taken from aircraft. I used to volunteer as a pilot for the Civil Air Patrol, and we flew many damage assessment photo flights after hurricanes along the North Carolina coast. These though, appear to be more specialized photos taken by an aircraft with more sophisticated geographic mapping cameras.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 1.06.46 PM copy.jpg

Satellite imagery can't usually respond to natural disasters like this in a timely fashion. The places these geo-photo satellites can photograph are dictated by the orbit of those satellites. They are constantly moving at 17,000+ mph and only pass briefly over a given spot. As the earth rotates under them, over time, they will pass over much of the earth, but it may take months or years for a satellite to pass over most of the earth. That is why the International Space Station (our largest man-made satellite) can be seen in different spots every night - the orbit is always the same, but different parts of the earth are passing under the ISS on different evenings.

There does appear to be new imagery online compared to yesterday. A slightly different angle, but you can see the photo stitching software is still having a problem lining up the buildings at Crystal Shores. You can see the misalignment in the building that is perpendicular to the beach, but farthest from the beach.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 11.40.27 AM copy.jpg

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the criminals. I don't care about the criminals desperation. I'm sure they are the few. Every one there is desperate, but not to the point of dying if they don't rob others. These are not good people driven to do bad. They are wolves waiting for the opportunity provided by the storm. It's much harder to protect yourself from a huicane than it is a wolf. I hope that if the thug picks up a machete, he finds his would be victim prepared.

Valid point that the majority of the violence is probably perpetrated by bad actors using the loss of infrastructure and government services to their advantage to do bad stuff. I've edited my comment above accordingly to reflect that not all desperate people resort to crime.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
MONARCH UPDATE

FWIW A call to MVIC Customer Care (an oxymoron, I know) revealed that Monarch sustained damage and will likely be closed through September 22. (I called because I got a Vacation Planning questionaire regarding our stay starting September 16, and was hopeful resort would be opening then. I guess they have time for that baloney, but not update the Hotline with hard information.)

MVIC not sharing this information with those of us with reservations covering these weeks, which would have allowed us to make alternate plans, is unprofessional, to say the least.

Last edited:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
MONARCH UPDATE

FWIW A call to MVIC Customer Care (an oxymoron, I know) revealed that Monarch sustained damage and will likely be closed through September 22. (I called because I got a Vacation Planning questionaire regarding our stay starting September 16, and was hopeful resort would be opening then. I guess they have time for that baloney, but not update the Hotline with hard information.)

MVIC not sharing this information with those of us with reservations covering these weeks, which would have allowed us to make alternate plans, is unprofessional, to say the least.

I just listened to the Sept. 14, 5:00 pm update.

All but Monarch and Harbour Pointe will open this coming weekend. Although Barony is a partial opening.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

merriot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Ocean Pointe is closed through at least Sept.22 according to latest info from the hotline this morning at 11...since we don't know how the roads, restaurants, and recovery will progress in the resort's surrounding areas, we're tired of second guessing and cancelled our reservation and air travel...unfortunately, our points go into holding and there aren't too many choices...

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Ocean Pointe is still closed because I haven't seen any information that there was significant damage in West Palm Beach area. Has anyone heard what type of damage Ocean Pointe has suffered? We will be there at the end of October. I wonder if Oceana Palms is also closed.
Marriott Ocean Pointe is closed through at least Sept.22 according to latest info from the hotline this morning at 11...since we don't know how the roads, restaurants, and recovery will progress in the resort's surrounding areas, we're tired of second guessing and cancelled our reservation and air travel...unfortunately, our points go into holding and there aren't too many choices...

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a satellite photo. If you look at the top of the NOAA web page under "Downloads" you will see there are listings for Sept 11 Flight 1, Sept 11 Flight 2, Sept 12 Flight 1, etc. These appear to be damage assessment photos taken from aircraft. I used to volunteer as a pilot for the Civil Air Patrol, and we flew many damage assessment photo flights after hurricanes along the North Carolina coast. These though, appear to be more specialized photos taken by an aircraft with more sophisticated geographic mapping cameras.

View attachment 4759

Satellite imagery can't usually respond to natural disasters like this in a timely fashion. The places these geo-photo satellites can photograph are dictated by the orbit of those satellites. They are constantly moving at 17,000+ mph and only pass briefly over a given spot. As the earth rotates under them, over time, they will pass over much of the earth, but it may take months or years for a satellite to pass over most of the earth. That is why the International Space Station (our largest man-made satellite) can be seen in different spots every night - the orbit is always the same, but different parts of the earth are passing under the ISS on different evenings.

There does appear to be new imagery online compared to yesterday. A slightly different angle, but you can see the photo stitching software is still having a problem lining up the buildings at Crystal Shores. You can see the misalignment in the building that is perpendicular to the beach, but farthest from the beach.

View attachment 4755
Jim, We are very fortunate that someone with your expertise is a major contributor to TUG. I am now more hopeful that Crystal Shores didn't experience major damage. I really enjoy staying in the original ocean front building and appreciate the staff at the resort.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke with MVCI today on an unrelated matter and the agent told me, in response to my question about St Thomas, that while there was some minor structural damage, they hope to have the resort back up and running by Nov 1.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach,SC fair after the hurricane? Mixed reports from local tv news & local newspapers reporting some said North Myrtle Beach experience some flooding and trees damage. However some sources, have stated that the City of MB were able to clean up everything up after the hurricane after a couple days.

What is the true story?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I'm surprised that Ocean Pointe is still closed because I haven't seen any information that there was significant damage in West Palm Beach area. Has anyone heard what type of damage Ocean Pointe has suffered? We will be there at the end of October. I wonder if Oceana Palms is also closed.

I received this info on 9/13 on the Ocean Pointe News Group:

OP owners,
Tonight the Board received an e-mail from the Marriott regional VP indicating:
1 Some water intrusion in SE facing villas
2 Damage to roofs
3 Significant landscape damage throughout
4 Only partial power on property and no indication from the local utility as to when we will have full power
5 No guests on property
6 No date offered as to when the resort will reopen
7 Clean up is in process
8 More issues may yet be found.

Continued patience is still required. Needless to say, OP is not the only property the management company is dealing with at this time.
I will post more when I know more.

Good wishes,

Julie Parmegiani

This report was on 9/15:

Fellow owners,
A few things......
All staff members are safe.
The resort hopes to allow guests back starting 9/23/17 but NOTHING is certain until the property is fully evaluated for damage and repaired as needed. Full electricity was just restored today.
DO NOT CALL THE RESORT. Nobody will answer. Call Marriott Owner Services for information, especially regarding upcoming stays.
I most likely will not post again until we are ready to open. Patience is essential as well as appreciation for all our staff is facing. Needless to say, OP is not the only Marriott property to need corporate assistance. I am MOST grateful for the quality of the response we have received and their continued dedication to OP.

Good wishes,
Julie Parmegiani

__._,_.___

Posted by: julieparm@optonline.net

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Jim, We are very fortunate that someone with your expertise is a major contributor to TUG. I am now more hopeful that Crystal Shores didn't experience major damage. I really enjoy staying in the original ocean front building and appreciate the staff at the resort.

Eagle's Nest (I'm also an HGVC member) just up the road from Crystal Shores has reported significant damage - check out the property updates on http://eaglesnest.hgvc.com - Doesn't mean Crystal Shores suffered the same fate... CS looks like a more solid building so I'm hopeful too.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to get an update regarding the resort properties on the MVC website but really didn't find much information. I don't understand why they don't use the owners website to provide updated damage information regarding each resort. This would allow us to make informed decisions regarding upcoming reservations. Not all of us are on the facebook and newsgroups sites. Since I own multiple resorts, I would prefer to use the owners website as a 'go to' source. This seems to be a real problem area and opportunity for MVC.

mrssbw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
I tried to get an update regarding the resort properties on the MVC website but really didn't find much information. I don't understand why they don't use the owners website to provide updated damage information regarding each resort. This would allow us to make informed decisions regarding upcoming reservations. Not all of us are on the facebook and newsgroups sites. Since I own multiple resorts, I would prefer to use the owners website as a 'go to' source. This seems to be a real problem area and opportunity for MVC.
I could not agree more - they clearly only care about themselves

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason is that the facebook and newsgroup sites are run by owners and interested parties, and not by Marriott employees, meaning that Marriott is not responsible for what is posted there. Anything put on the MVCI site would be an official Marriott statement for which they would be 100% accountable for, something corporate lawyers cannot tolerate due to the potential liability exposure. Since there is a lot of money tied up with our vacation portfolios, any "official" statement that could cause someone to schedule, cancel, change, or forfeit a purchase or sale could potentially cause Marriott a major headache. As such, only non-debatable facts are posted, i.e. "the resort is currently closed due to damage from hurricane Irma" without speculating on future openings or specific damage. The private news groups only contain info provided as 2nd or 3rd party, and never directly by Marriott. This is unfortunate, but are the rules corporations live under as part of the litigious society we now live in.

Chuck