• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Florence

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
On your cell phone you can download the Max Tracker app. Look at the European models for how storms are tracking as historically they are the most accurate.

This morning's model is showing Florence tracking farther South again and downgrading to a cat 3 when it makes landfall. But there is still more than 24 hours to go before it hits so things can still change for both the direction and the intensity.

Last year when Irma made landfall in our area it was only a cat 2. While we were without power for only a matter of hours less than a mile from us people were without power for 5 days. Another Tugger who lives maybe 15 miles from us in Boca Raton was without power for 5 days too. For months afterwards all over this area of Florida they were cleaning up downed trees and branches. Two weeks ago we stayed down in Islamorada. They are still rebuilding and cleaning up from Irma. Even a cat 2 can do a lot of damage.

What many people don't realize is that hurricanes spawn tornadoes around the edge of the hurricane. The tornadoes that accompany hurricanes often do as much damage as the hurricane. If you've ever driven through tornado weather with the wind, blinding rain and hail in an area that gets tornadoes, out in the middle of nowhere, let me tell you it is terrifying. The noise from the rain and hail was so bad I wouldn't have heard a tornado until it was right there. You can barely see well enough to keep the car moving and tornadoes move very fast. Even if you knew which direction to drive to get out of the way tornadoes veer. I was visiting my aunt who lived pretty far out in the country and she said that the day "felt right" for a tornado so I had better get going if I needed to get back. There wasn't a cloud in the sky when I left a few minutes later and 20 minutes after that I was praying to make it home alive. 42 years hasn't dimmed the memory of the no more than 15 minutes I drove through that weather.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
FYI...the phone number of 888-682-4862 (another owner services number), is not giving accurate information. I was advised 10 minutes ago that the Mandatory Evac was lifted, and MOW was open.
AGAIN...THIS IS NOT CORRECT. I'm sure it was an unintentional error....but when I called MOW...I was transferred to 800 860-9384. They in fact verified the erroneous information and are in the process of correcting it. MOW is closed until further notice. With a lot of prayer and a little luck we may be able to salvage 4-5 days of next week.
Good luck to all Tuggers in the area.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
at least down here, they are announcing its trending further south than expected, with an even more exaggerated shift south closer to its landfall. :(

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Update from Grand Ocean's Facebook page today.....

Hurricane Florence Update: The resort’s management team continues to monitor advisories that may be issued by state and local emergency service agencies regarding the path of Hurricane Florence. At this time, Marriott’s Grande Ocean remains open and operational. Please continue to check this page for further updates as they become available.
For the latest updates on Hurricane Florence and potential impacts to Hilton Head Island, please visit https://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/…/hurri…/stormupdates.cfm.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I'll tell you what, I'm very concerned about the massive storm surge, not only along the NC coast but also along the SC coast.
Supposedly there are 80' waves at sea now, and with WHATEVER reduction coming ashore, it'll still be significant, imho,
more so than what I'm hearing. Add to that the unrelenting rainfall from a stalled or semi-stalled system.
Purely speculation but it's very concerning.
I'm particularly worried about Charleston and it's history of flooding, even when a normal rain storm
accompanies a normal high tide. Hugo wiped out King Street, and this seems worse. Sure hope I'm 100% WRONG!!!!!

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Another MGO update....

Hurricane Florence Update: Marriott’s Grande Ocean is currently open with limited services. The resort’s management team is continuing to monitor advisories that may be issued by state and local emergency service agencies and based on the current forecast, is preparing the resort for the arrival of Hurricane Florence. The safety and comfort of our Owners, guests, and associates is a top priority. Due to the rapidly changing weather conditions, all Owners and guests with reservations are strongly encouraged to check local weather advisories before traveling to the Hilton Head Island area.

For the latest alerts on Hurricane Florence and potential impacts to Hilton Head Island, please visit the Town of Hilton Head Island's page athttps://www.facebook.com/TownofHiltonHeadIslandSC/.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
SC Governor McMaster just announced (11:20AM) that the evacuation order for Jasper, Beaufort (HHI) and Colleton counties has been lifted, and the evacuation route along 278 won't be reversing lanes. We're staying, but ready to bug out tomorrow if things change.

I don't know what this means for the resorts. Anybody still onsite and hear anything?

Thank you for posting this. I saw it and sent my neighbors a text immediately. They had already started home, but decided to turn around and go back to Hilton Head. She thanked me three times for saving their vacation, but the thanks really belongs to you.

Sheila

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The very latest news: Outer Banks Highway NC 12 is closed due Hurricane Florence flooding.

Hurricane Florence is now approaching the NC coast.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update for those who were evacuated from Marriott Resorts on Hilton Head.
I was able to get a 1yr Accommodation Certificate from Customer Relations at Interval. It is a 30 day reservation period but I was very thankful for the certificate.
Hop and pray everyone stays safe.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wilmington, NC is under a massive attack by Hurricane Florence by rain ad wind this evening.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Just an update for those who were evacuated from Marriott Resorts on Hilton Head.
I was able to get a 1yr Accommodation Certificate from Customer Relations at Interval. It is a 30 day reservation period but I was very thankful for the certificate.
Hop and pray everyone stays safe.

I'm happy for you. At least you were able to salvage something. This will be our third time in the past 5 years that we lost our weeks due to hurricanes or tropical storms with virtually nothing to show for it other than another anticipated assessment after this one is over.
We saw the handwriting on the wall 10 days ago and have been trying to retrade through II only to be told that there is no inventory at any of the 7-8 areas that we requested. I've been calling 3-4 times a day and it just seems amazing that the only place available to us in those locations was in Arcadia National Park. (Not exactly sun & surf). Today is my last day to try....so I will continue to try.
Again, good for you!

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had similar issues over the last three years. Last year I purchased an inexpensive get away at Canyon Villas ($500 for a 2 bedroom). I felt fortunate to pick this up last minute. Theses have been weeks that we own and Marriott did not provide much help.

This year we left after a couple of days. Enjoyed our stay but did not feel we got a full vacation. I did purchase travel insurance. I am concerned when I called and they were no help. I will follow up when things settle down. We are fortunate compared to the locals.

I think we are done with fall in HHI. Enjoy the warm weather but not sure hurricane risk is worth it.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Just got lucky and was able to trade it on my last day. Not exactly where we wanted to go..but I can re- trade that and still have a shot at getting something for my MF.
Not sure we'll do SC anymore either. With patience and planning I think we'll go back to CA desert or AZ

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Any post storm reports about MOW in Myrtle?

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Head Marriott Facebook pages posted open and beautiful days. I believe food service at Y'Alls, Sea Salts, and Grande Ocean were closed for an additional day but now open. My wife received an email that fitness classes were open and they dodged a bullet.

Hopefully HHI did ok with Florence and missed most of it.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Does anyone know how much rain Hilton Head received? Any damages at all on the Island ?
We checked into Grande Ocean on Saturday. No activities (including no bike rentals, no food, bar, etc) on Saturday and the pools had been drained a bit for pre storm preparedness and had some leaves in them so effectively not open. Didn’t really affect our day as we checked in, got settled into the room, went on a grocery run, took a long walk on the beach, etc. Most restaurants were open but only about a third of the various shops around the island were open.

By Sunday they did have bikes available for rent and cleaned, filled and opened the pools but still no bar or activities. More shops on the island reopened on Sunday.

Monday was the first full day with full activity schedule, bar open, etc. at Grande Ocean and the rest of the island appeared back to normal.

As for weather, never saw a drop of rain from Saturday through today. Saturday was a bit overcast with some blue sky poking out by the late afternoon. Sunday and Monday were beautiful. Have not seen any damage anywhere in the island. Appears it totally missed HHI which is great. Very glad we did not cancel our plans.

Very few people here compared to other visits at this time in Sept. At the owners meeting today, GM said approx 35% occupancy and was supposed to be full. Apparently the closing of I-95 and alternate routes (in NC) prevented a lot of folks who drive from getting here.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Be careful at the bar, you don't want someone slipping you a mickey.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our stay at SurfWatch was part of an Encore package - checked in on Sunday and had to leave Tuesday morning of evacuation. Did not get our sales presentation/tour completed as a result (wish that would happen more often). Talked with reservation group in Orlando and was told we will get another Encore package that needs to be used by end of May 2019.
Ok with this option, but wish there were other location options outside of HHI as we have been there (and Savannah) now twice in 16 months and will need to go back again. It is a good location, but would like to see other parts of the country too. Also a little bit of challenge with kids in school and activities.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was SurfWatch resort damage in any way, other then some beach erosion ?