TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Hundreds of earthquakes hit the Big Island. Kilauea may erupt [Eruption UPDATE]

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Passepartout, May 3, 2018.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

GregT and mpumilia like this.
  2. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Interesting. However, I believe the following statement in the report is something that could be stated just about every day of the year: However, the agency added, the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory has indicated that a volcanic eruption was “possible but not imminent.”

3. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Was on the Big Island in middle of January, after the Iraq invasion and before the Desert Shield response of Operation Desert Storm. Air travel had seriously decreased and my airline travel club (TWA club?) offered a 5 or 7 night trip to Oahu with hotel for chump change ($500 for 5 nights or $700 for a 7 night stay). BUT 2 people had to travel together. Early January

My Hawaii trip partner was found on a ski life at Camelback Ski Area in the Poconos ... lift talk. His opinion was just like mine ... WHAT A DEAL! And within the weeks, off we flew to Ohau. Took an inter-island flight to see the lava flowing into the ocean (his idea or research?). Rented a car, drove over to the other side of the Big Island, parked in the "not yet covered by the lava" park lot with bathrooms (not opened) and walked out to the fissure where the lava was following out to the ocean. 15-20 minute walk ... if that. Took pictures of the lava flowing into the ocean and the steam rising. Maybe 8-10 other people were around/walking to/from ... no signs, no roped off areas, no park employees, no "boats in the water" touring.

Today, it is helicopter rides for a "FLY OVER" only ... too FAR to walk (in miles), too hot to walk that long distance due to the lava, and too dangerous on the extended & built up shelf above the lava flows, etc. Or a boat tour unless far out in the sea.

Definitely one of my most unique trips .. the trip which can not EVER be duplicated ... the one I wish digital cameras with BIG memory cards existed then. A one day flight over to the Big Island ... with some NYC guy I met on a Camelback Ski lift in the Poconos who wanted to go to Hawaii.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  4. jacknsara

jacknsara TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
  5. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Evacuations have been ordered! Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 10.50.36 PM.png

mpumilia likes this.
  6. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    Mods, I opened a new thread because I could not change the title. Can you change the title then to IS erupting instead of MAY erupt. [updated & merged]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  7. Sandy VDH

Resorts Owned:
  8. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    Just flew back from BI today, we were at VNP last week when lava was overflowing at the Kileaua overlook, quite visible I captured a short video from the spotter scopes the park rangers set up.

It was obvious that a blowout was due downstream with lava backed up that far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    Morning news reports many local residents evacuated, lava reaching streets. Fortunately no reports of injuries.

Hope the orchid anthurium nursery I visited on the way to VNP, fares okay.

10. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    If it's Akatsuka's on Highway 11 heading down the mountain toward Hilo, it's probably fine. The eruption is centered further southeast, in the south Pahoa area. Leilani Estates is closer to Kalapana, an area long known for its close encounter with active lava. The two areas are about 18 miles apart, as the crow flies.

Dave

11. emuyshondt

emuyshondt TUG Member

From the USGS Volcano Hazards Program at https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

12. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Dh said to me last night, wasn't that the area we were considering buying into and living when we retired.

13. Sandy VDH

Resorts Owned:
    USGS reported: A fissure about 150 m (492 ft) long erupted mostly spatter and intermittent bubble bursts for about 2 hours.

14. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    If you look at the aerial footage, there are houses scattered around, and very near to this crack. A shade too close for me, thanks.

Dave

15. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

xandern likes this.
  16. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

17. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

Kileaea has erupted, and Pele is in charge once again.

18. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

See. I told you guys yesterday. I just hedged until Madam Pele arrived.

19. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
  20. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    The eruption isn't in the main part of the Park - it's down in an evacuated neighborhood. Lots of sulphur dioxide in the air, which makes people dead. Not a safe place right now. I keep seeing pictures of a lava lake, but they never say where it is. I wonder if it's at Halemaumau? They also show lots of smoke and ash rising from a big crater, but again, they don't say where that it. Very confusing.

Dave

klpca likes this.
  21. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    I read somewhere that there is a lava fissure in Leilani Estates about 11 miles from Hilo Town. That s2o also gets into the water supply of many of the people in subdivisions that rely on rain catch basins. One of my friends lives in the Hawaiian Paradise Park Estates and uses a covered above ground pool for their water storage. Even though it runs through a reverse osmosis machine I won't drink it.

When we saw the lava flow it was about 2003 or 2004. Pretty cool. Our last trip we saw the PuuO glow after dark. The lava had stopped flowing to the sea on this trip. I thinks there is the main lava pool and a small lava pool somewhere between the big pool and Kalapana.

Bill

DaveNW likes this.
  22. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I didn't know the Sulphur Dioxide could contaminate water supplies. That's troubling. I had property that was on a well here in the PNW that had dissolved sulphur in the water. It was the cleanest water I've ever been around. We had it tested numerous times, and they never found anything. A simple charcoal filter took away the sulphur taste. It wasn't supposed to, but it did. Weird.

Dave

23. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

So is it still safe to vacation in the Waikoloa area. Is that area experiencing Any vog?

24. jacknsara

jacknsara TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
    Aloha,
    I'm not completely sure what you are seeing Dave, but I think that's coming out from Pu'u O'o http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2...s-deep-hole-at-puu-oo-as-lava-moves-downrift/ Look especially starting around 18 seconds. Imagine Crater Lake in Oregon without the water!
    In an earlier post (#4) I included a google map link that zoomed in on Leilani estates just in case anyone isn't sure where the action is.
    Jack

25. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I think you're right. The local news here shows this clip of a thick column of smoke and ash rising from a crater. A lot like what your video shows at about the :31 mark. But then they show what appears to be the darkened floor of a crater, (night image), then lava seeps up from one edge, and spreads out in a spiderweb across the surface. It's impressive, and is what I'd imagine Halemaumau would look like. Maybe it's the Pu'u O'o crater?

Dave