• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HPP program

robb4640

Reaction score
We have purchased the into the Portfolio program at the base level of 660 pts(3 months ago). We just got the actual pts on Jan 1. My question to those in the forum. What options do we have now with these points. The sales guy had mentioned that you can use some of the points to help pay your maintenance fees buy booking something i believe and then putting it on Airbnb? Does anyone out there do this? If so i would like more info.

tj5654

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have purchased the into the Portfolio program at the base level of 660 pts(3 months ago). We just got the actual pts on Jan 1. My question to those in the forum. What options do we have now with these points. The sales guy had mentioned that you can use some of the points to help pay your maintenance fees buy booking something i believe and then putting it on Airbnb? Does anyone out there do this? If so i would like more info.

I was told in the past that I could not rent a reservation unless it was the deeded week that I owned. In other words, if I got a reservation through points, I could not rent it. In fact, I was contacted by email and TOLD to take down the listing I had to rent it out or my reservation would be cancelled.

My personal opinion is that the Portfolio Program is not worth considering. Both times I was pitched to buy I was given serious misinformation. I'm not saying I was intentionally lied to, but the information was wrong and proven by contacting member services and confirming. The second time I was pitched, I was again told information not true that was confirmed right then on the phone with member services. So I would caution anyone from taking sales information as being totally believable.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
... The sales guy had mentioned that you can use some of the points to help pay your maintenance fees buy booking something i believe and then putting it on Airbnb? Does anyone out there do this? If so i would like more info.
Wow! That's a new low for the Hyatt hucksters. I wonder what else they told you to make the sale? Again, do not believe ANTHING from the lips of these people. Do independent research away from the room.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Wow! That's a new low for the Hyatt hucksters. I wonder what else they told you to make the sale? Again, do not believe ANTHING from the lips of these people. Do independent research away from the room.
I did presentation over Christmas and sales weasle bragged about how you can book Interval stuff to rent. In fact he went as far as to say he has way more points than he needs so he can rent out units at other Hyatt’s or from Interval.

I reply back rental from interval are against your membership agreement and can get your account blocked and reservations taken away. Hyatt deeded points state you can only rent weeks you own. Not sure what Portfolio Points say.

He reply’s everyone does it. I reply still not interested.

But as far as renting out a reservation from your Hyatt deeded points. I see no harm in this, but my guess if you were using guest certificates for tons of reservation with points they would crack down on you. Doing it every now and then I don’t see them saying anything.

But interval you will get busted pretty quickly.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are Hyatt owners who absolutely violate the rules on rental of numerous CUP units on eBay. There have been conversations with the Hyatt director of enforcement and resort personnel to crack down on these individuals. Nothing has apparently happened. And this is using HRC points.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I am curious about 1 thing? Why buy 660 points for $20 a point. So you can rent a room out on AirBnB to help pay your MF. I would never buy points solely for idea to rent them. They can change the rules making where you can’t or making it extremely costly You just added over $600 a month in MF and paid over $13K to do it.
This about enough points to get maybe two Saturday nights in a studio in KW or Hawaii. By the time you pay your MF on points, reservation fee, housekeeping fee, PayPal fees or Abnb fees you will barely break even if not lose money.

Please explain what I’m missing

Last edited:

tj5654

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a spot on assessment. I would never use points to pay MF's and certainly not buy points to do that. At my Portfolio pitch I was told I owned enough already to be top level "Elite " in Portfolio but they still wanted me to upgrade another $18k Really?? Knowing I must look that stupid has made it really hard to use a mirror ever since ....

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

You don't mention whether you have other Hyatt ownership to add to it, but 660 points gets you 2 or 3 nights somewhere. If you use the points to reserve 3 nights and find a renter to pay enough for a portion of your maintenance fee, you will then have no points to use. What then would be the purpose of your ownership? There may be someone here who uses their points to rent our a unit but if so, I don't think they have shared that info.

Most on here are Hyatt Residence Club owners, and using points in that system for rental is against the rules. (YMMV) As pointed out, since we don't own in the PP system, we don't know the rules for renting the points you own.

Hyatt's are great resorts, but a typical week is 1880 points or more. Good luck with whatever you try to do.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
You guys all just assume the OP did this to rent and your wording sure as heck will not make them feel better if that is not the case. If it is though, I do not think it is polite to call them out on it on a public forum.

I wonder if the OP is asking the question because they cannot use the points this year for whatever reason and is trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe something is better than nothing at this stage.

Even though I do not own Hyatt I would think that as on other point only systems, you own part of all the resorts and can therefore rent your reservation. If I was the OP with only these few points I would be looking at reserving a long weekend during a period that may garner some denand and try to rent that out. Not everybody wants to go away or can afford to go away for a week.

Good luck OP.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
You guys all just assume the OP did this to rent and your wording sure as heck will not make them feel better if that is not the case. If it is though, I do not think it is polite to call them out on it on a public forum.

I wonder if the OP is asking the question because they cannot use the points this year for whatever reason and is trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe something is better than nothing at this stage.

Even though I do not own Hyatt I would think that as on other point only systems, you own part of all the resorts and can therefore rent your reservation. If I was the OP with only these few points I would be looking at reserving a long weekend during a period that may garner some denand and try to rent that out. Not everybody wants to go away or can afford to go away for a week.

Good luck OP.
Problem is 660 Points won’t even get you a Saturday of a high demand weekend. Hyatt’s charge 40% of weekly point cost for Saturday’s.

I can’t speak to HPP as far as rentals go. But deeded week people technically can only rent their deeded week. CUP booked weeks are not supposed to be rented. That said I am sure many rent CUP reservations out.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I did presentation over Christmas and sales weasle bragged about how you can book Interval stuff to rent. In fact he went as far as to say he has way more points than he needs so he can rent out units at other Hyatt’s or from Interval.

I reply back rental from interval are against your membership agreement and can get your account blocked and reservations taken away. Hyatt deeded points state you can only rent weeks you own. Not sure what Portfolio Points say.

He reply’s everyone does it. I reply still not interested.

But as far as renting out a reservation from your Hyatt deeded points. I see no harm in this, but my guess if you were using guest certificates for tons of reservation with points they would crack down on you. Doing it every now and then I don’t see them saying anything.

But interval you will get busted pretty quickly.
They told us that at our sales pitch too and when we replied that it was against the bylaws told us Hyatt doesn't care. For new owners who do not know the rules this is a huge disconnect if Hyatt does enforce it. I feel badly for unsuspecting folks who fall for this.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
They told us that at our sales pitch too and when we replied that it was against the bylaws told us Hyatt doesn't care. For new owners who do not know the rules this is a huge disconnect if Hyatt does enforce it. I feel badly for unsuspecting folks who fall for this.

As KAL noted, there's about 5 or 6 HRC owners that regularly rent 4 night studio HSH reservations on Ebay. They've been doing it for 5 + years - Hyatt knows who those HRC owners are, but has done nothing to stop them.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
As KAL noted, there's about 5 or 6 HRC owners that regularly rent 4 night studio HSH reservations on Ebay. They've been doing it for 5 + years - Hyatt knows who those HRC owners are, but has done nothing to stop them.
Maybe they are the sales reps. Haha

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are the sales reps. Haha

The biggest kick in the crotch is that most of the HRC owners that rent HSH units on Ebay don't own at HSH. So its impossible for their reservations to be HRPP bookings.

Rental of an HRPP reservation is completely legal and permitted by the HRC Rules. While the HRC Rules specifically state that rental of non-HRPP reservations is not permitted, KAL is 110% correct in that Hyatt Corporate has turned a blind eye to the rental activity for years. So hoping that Team Marriott takes an aggressive approach to reigning in the habitual HRC HSH Ebay renters!

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Yes it is. But remember its not the "HYATT" we knew any longer but is now "II or Marriott ".

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Sounds like a spot on assessment. I would never use points to pay MF's and certainly not buy points to do that. At my Portfolio pitch I was told I owned enough already to be top level "Elite " in Portfolio but they still wanted me to upgrade another $18k Really?? Knowing I must look that stupid has made it really hard to use a mirror ever since ....
The way I got it was you have to buy into the Portfolio program. at the minimum of 600 points at $20 a point - a "special price for current Hyatt owners" ( while saying new members have to pay more for than $20 per point" ) Then once your a member or the portfolio program you have the option each year of depositing you deed week (and float time points) into the Portfolio program . Thus having enough point for that year to take advantage of the portfolio benefits (as an Elite member) (for that year or so) such as then being able to make portfolio reservations more in advance than you could as a deeded points member and also something about thus extending the life of all your points for that year or two, etc. .. and that you, as a member of both programs, would have the ability make that decision each year to put your deeded week points into the PP program or not.

My conclusion was that the PP program had some benefits , BUT the cost to get in was to high, and that if they created this program to improve on the deficiencies of the current program, as they mention in their sale scripted pitch, that if that's so : THEN THEY SHOULD JUST LET ALL CURRENT OWNERS BECOME PORTFOLIO MEMBERS (GRANDFATHERED IN ) AT NO COST TO ANY CURRENT MEMBER !!