• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How will my tax return affect my Medicare premium?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Good to know. It will be interesting to see how it will go for us next year. We are now 64.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our financial planner has factored this into our retirement income plan. There is just so much to think about once you retire, especially with no pensions to live off of. For us, he has us spending down taxable accounts first and doing Roth conversions until age 70 when we both should take SS and will be required to take RMD's. He is trying to lower taxes as much as possible and one thing he mentioned was it's effect on our Medicare premiums- and ACA premiums should I need that insurance before I am eligible for Medicare.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The title of the thread actually caused me to click and read, but since it is about "High Income" tax returns, it was not about us.

But, if I/we ever magically become "High Income", I will keep this in mind.

:cool:

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The title of the thread actually caused me to click and read, but since it is about "High Income" tax returns, it was not about us.

But, if I/we ever to magically become "High Income", I will keep this in mind.

:cool:

But the concept is the same. We are not high income at all nor will we be when retired. Yet you would be surprised how the income you have affects your premiums.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Maybe I read it wrong.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But the concept is the same. We are not high income at all nor will we be when retired. Yet you would be surprised how the income you have affects your premiums.
Unless your income is > $170K per year, Medicare premiums surcharge should not affect you. ACA is a different story... it depends on how much you are going to convert to Roth as withdrawals from IRA is treated as income.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your social security will go up if you make over $170000 a year as a couple. That will be about $65 a month extra each. Then there are graduated steps up to making over &750000 a year. You can’t worry about not having enough money to live on and about the extra Medicare premium at the same time. If you make a big capital gain, it will only affect you that year, not your lifetime.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Unless your income is > $170K per year, Medicare premiums surcharge should not affect you. ACA is a different story... it depends on how much you are going to convert to Roth as withdrawals from IRA is treated as income.

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that was the number. Our income won't be anywhere near that! LOL! I must have misunderstood the FA. He did mention the ACA also, though, so that is probably what he was saying since I have a few years left for Medicare.

This is why we need a FA. I am not that smart about this stuff. I try to learn, though.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the level where income becomes significant figuring there is nothing I can do about it. $170,000 sounds a bit high though. What I do know is that the amount deducted from my Social Security for Medicare Part B has escalated quite a bit based on my income as reported on my FIT Returns...

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the level where income becomes significant figuring there is nothing I can do about it. $170,000 sounds a bit high though. What I do know is that the amount deducted from my Social Security for Medicare Part B has escalated quite a bit based on my income as reported on my FIT Returns...

George
Because your are single, Medicare surcharges start at $85K.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You know, I am going over the Financial Advisors' preliminary plan because we have a meeting tomorrow.

Turns out I am not crazy. He wrote in there that we should do the Roth conversions in the next few years to lower our tax bite when we have to start taking SS and RMD's at age 70 1/2 and also to lower Medicare premiums.

I guess I will have another question for him tomorrow because our income would not be $170,000 per year- no where near it.

My head is spinning. Still looking for the fun in retirement.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I will have another question for him tomorrow because our income would not be $170,000 per year- no where near it.

You need to look at when you turn 70 yo:

Your SS + your husband's SS + your RMD + your husband's RMD + your mother's RMD from her IRA inheritance + taxable account dividends and interests. You need to bake in growth to your accounts for when you will turn 70. If the estimated total is > 170K, then you need to worry about Medicare premium surcharges. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to look at when you turn 70 yo:

Your SS + your husband's SS + your RMD + your husband's RMD + your mother's RMD from her IRA inheritance + taxable account dividends and interests. You need to bake in growth to your accounts for when you will turn 70. If the estimated total is > 170K, then you need to worry about Medicare premium surcharges. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
Plus it will be higher thresholds by then.