• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to write a will to avoid giving a timeshare to someone who could care less?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If this has been posted about, please provide a link. But I have tried to give timeshare stays to family and friends...and now with my hubby having passed, I need to draw up a will but don't want to stick anybody with a timeshare. Especially not with maint fees so high...and exchange fees going up and up. Anybody have any "tricks" on how to write a will to somehow get past the timeshare dilemma? Bequeath it perhaps to Fred Flinstone or... ???? TIA for any advice!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
From what I've read here even if you leave a timeshare to someone there is nothing saying they have to accept it.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are sure no one else wants it and you want to use it for the rest of your lifetime, you might call the resort and see if they want it willed to them. I doubt they would accept such an open ended thing. They might though if they realize it will be abandoned with all their costs involved to gain ownership. If you do not want it any more ask all your heirs and then ask for a deedback.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Don't leave the timeshare to anyone. Just leave it out of your will, and it will go back to the resort. My understanding is that the only timeshares our kids have to accept are the ones with their names on them. I purposely put their names on the good ones, but not the ones our daughter couldn't rent for a profit. I hope I did all of it right.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Leave it to your least favorite political person. :)

Congress critters need a place to go too!

(trying to be funny, not political)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Without giving any Legal Advice you probably want to avoid a clause that says some like "I leave all the rest and remainder of my Estate to my Children to be divided equally." But then you have to list each and every item - real and personal property - and to whom it goes. As someone above said no one is required to accept a bequest. So have your heirs disclaim the timeshare in writing. All this becomes more complicated if you have your timeshare listed in a Living Trust.