• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Retire in Your 30s With $1 Million in the Bank

geekette

Reaction score
Compelling discussions going on here.

In the US, a person can see any doctor that will set an appointment, the only question is Who Pays?

That varies. The patient, the Govt, or an insurance company (IF the patient has been paying the premiums, or the premiums are being paid on their behalf; insurance expires and requires monthly payments [usually] else terminated prematurely by the company). Even if there is no expectation of payment, Someone or Something is usually assigned to a charged medical event as Responsible Party for the bill. For the unconscious unidentified, this kind of thing can be sorted out later and probably immediately entered as patient responsible.

It is not to be expected that every cost is covered by the insurer, the patient pays premiums and other amounts towards their annual deductible, after which insurance picks up more of the cost, but usually not all of the cost. There is a max out of pocket for the patient, after which there should be no more costs for that year, for services reasonably covered by that insurance. This max has nothing to do with items outside of the coverage.

A person can be covered by more than one insurance or program, each would have their own deductibles and limits. Medicare is kind of a prepaid benefit as money is extracted from worker paychecks over decades. I know little about it (I am far from 65 yet) but many retirees buy supplemental insurance, too, so one could assume it is basic on the entitled services part. Supplemental policies are like other insurance as far as being offered by numerous outside companies. Medicaid is complicated but covers children, disabled, aged, poor... and is administered by states with monies from fed govt. VA (military) may pay all or most all for retired. Dental and vision are usually special insurance no matter what program. Often prescription policies may be needed.

True self pay is an entirely different thing. That is a person with no insurance, or, their insurance is not accepted by that doctor. There are often discounts for this, also, but a person should declare it Self Pay when they set appointment so the office knows you plan to pay it vs total write off. Most people can pay at least a little bit. One may need to pay in full at time of service, but payment plans are also common. Even with insurance, payment plans are common. I don't think people ask about these things, though.

Note that a person is not limited to only seeing doctors in their network. This is a common misunderstanding. A person may choose to limit themselves to choosing from that list, but in my experience, it is wise to call around. Many doctors will submit claims to any insurer, but they do not have to accept any insurance they don't want to. In the mass of insurance companies and doctors, there are bound to be some hard-to-work-with entities so both sides maintain choice in the matter, not having to do business with anyone they don't want to do business with. If they accept you as a patient, this at least means that they will accept your money, no middleman.

Even with some employer-administered obscure policy (my employer owns the health insurance company), I am finding great coverage well outside that list. The few that will not accept my insurance work with me on reasonable payments as True Self Pay. Even those payments should be reported to insurance company because there is a category for Out Of Network spending, which does have coverage for the employee, odd though it may seem. I am sick this year, I long ago met my in network out of pocket and have met out of network deductible. I am into the co-insurance part, where the insurance covers 80% and I pay 20% until meeting out of pocket max. I may meet out of pocket max in and out of network. It is an expensive year, for sure, but when one has a big illness, that's what happens. If I can get back to work in 2019, I can repair the financial damage. I am luckier than many.

I have numerous payment plans in force in order to pay as little as possible monthly to conserve financial resources. Hospitals, especially, will work with a patient. It can be wise to seek the range of treatments within a hospital system, they have bundled it together for me in many cases so I make one vs multiple payments. I have spread my care around 3 hospital systems and many "unaffiliated vendors". I required a treatment device considered out of network so that deductible was met quickly, even though I am paying little towards it monthly. I pay my acupuncturist out of pocket ($85 each) and submit claims to insurance company myself. True Self Pay is not a terrible way to go. I have done so with chiropractor, paid $45, when I had no insurance.

A network is essentially a list of pre-approved providers that your insurance company probably already has a relationship with. They are at least easy to do business with, will play ball with claims process, etc. Nobody has ever had to give up a doctor unless they desired to, and it could indeed be more expensive to continue with your old doc when your insurance doesn't have them in network, but that is not automatically the case. That is not the same thing as losing your doctor. I have lost doctors that retired or moved. But I have also had doctors establish a relationship with my insurance company where they had not previously been "in network". I would urge people to call those doctors they think they are losing and ask what they would be paying without insurance there. For me, it can be worth it to pay a little more to keep continuity but usually it hasn't been any big money issue.

The problem is that this stuff is massively complicated and myths and mistruths abound. If we could solve some of the complexity, we could solve some of the excessive costs. Now that I have a pre-existing condition, true self pay is either the best way to go, in case I never have a recurrence, or fast track to death or bankruptcy if I get sick again. If I don't return to work, paying for insurance could send me to BK faster than not having it. Wild stuff. And each person or family has their own unique situation and therefore reasons for managing their health care arrangements how they do.

maybe I'll retire to Canada just to have it simpler to be sick!

Brett

Reaction score
One thing I should add is having both US and Canadian Citizenship, I decided to make Canada my home because of the belief that people come first in areas like health care. Again, I love the US and my American friends and family. I suppose I am a peacenik. In Canada we have a small military so our resources can go more to social programs. Again, I do love America too it’s just I think a bit different on how public resources should be allocated.

Funny though, if you look at the percentage of GDP spent in health care, the US spends more for some reason. Maybe, because it’s profit driven? I am unsure on that.

yes, health care in the US is 'profit driven" or some might say just getting their fair share

An interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal details how the hospital's collude with health insurers to maximize profits

hosp7-33.jpg

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So the thing is- in your example of the MRI- someone could have back pain- it could be life threatening or not- but unless the test is done - it won't be known if it is life threatening or not. So that is certainly an issue for someone having to wait. Not to mention with having pain. You could have pain because of a disc issue or you could have cancer for example. Things have to be rulled out for a diagnosis, etc.

I have been suffering with pain from a bulging disc for almost six years now-- have had two MRIs. Three years ago this Christmas we had dinner and attended a local holiday music show with friends. His back had been hurting and he was scheduled to see the doctor the following week because going to the chiropractor for a few sessions hadn't helped. We got the call in January that Bob had cancer in his spine and they'd found it in other places as well. He was dead before Easter. At least they knew what they were dealing with early on, in spite of being too far gone to help him. (His two brothers and his father all suffered and died from cancer; I suspect he may have had other symptoms that he let go too long for fear of the diagnosis and the treatments).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
@geekette In a true HMO system like Kaiser, you simply cannot see a doctor outside of their network. Zero zilch payment to a doctor who is not working for Kaiser.

Yep, and in other plans, going to a doctor not on the list may have higher deductible and/or copays.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, and in other plans, going to a doctor not on the list may have higher deductible and/or copays.
Around here, there is just ONE healthcare system, so ALL the doctors are in the system. Go see whoever you want, and be covered. PPO/HMO mox nix.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have been suffering with pain from a bulging disc for almost six years now-- have had two MRIs. Three years ago this Christmas we had dinner and attended a local holiday music show with friends. His back had been hurting and he was scheduled to see the doctor the following week because going to the chiropractor for a few sessions hadn't helped. We got the call in January that Bob had cancer in his spine and they'd found it in other places as well. He was dead before Easter. At least they knew what they were dealing with early on, in spite of being too far gone to help him. (His two brothers and his father all suffered and died from cancer; I suspect he may have had other symptoms that he let go too long for fear of the diagnosis and the treatments).

Very sad. This is exactly the type of situation I was talking about.

Sorry about your pain. They can do nothing for you?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that. But letting things go too long is rarely a good idea. Known several that have died as well for the same reason.

As far as a bulging disk, I found the chiropractor helped me a lot with that. Stretching and some exercise, and 95% good now.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about healthcare plans, I have a few questions to clear up. I’m hoping some of you can answer these. Do you know people that are on Medicare but don’t buy a supplemental? What’s the good and the bad of not doing that? Once you do buy a summplemental—-can they raise your rates or drop you, if a serious health issue arises. I have been looking at Plan F from Medicare or STRS which is a retired teachers supplemental.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about healthcare plans, I have a few questions to clear up. I’m hoping some of you can answer these. Do you know people that are on Medicare but don’t buy a supplemental? What’s the good and the bad of not doing that? Once you do buy a summplemental—-can they raise your rates or drop you, if a serious health issue arises. I have been looking at Plan F from Medicare or STRS which is a retired teachers supplemental.
First of all, do not go with the basic Medicare. Basic Medicare only pays 80% of most services. At minimum, go with a Medicare Advantage Plan, some plans are free while others can be had for a low monthly premium. Medicare Supplemental plans are usually a little more expensive than Advantage Plans and offer more flexibility including going out of state to get treatment.

In the first 2 years, 65 to 67, you can get on a supplemental plan without questions asked. If you wait beyond that, they will qualify as to whether to take you and if so whether you are low or high risk, meaning tier 1, 2 or 3 pricing. Tier 2 and 3 pricings are very expensive. Once you are on an Advantage Plan or Supplemental Plan, they cannot drop you unless that offering disappears. If an applicant is in end stage renal failure, both types of plans will not take the applicant.

Rates do go up every year for Supplemental plans and Advantage plans, but not because of health condition, but just to keep pace with market, aka medical inflation.

Plan F is the best/most expensive Supplemental plan. If you can get on either between 65 to 67 or if later and qualify for tier 1, then you will have the most flexibility in getting care.

Medicare does not sell supplemental plans. They are sold by 3rd parties.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Very sad. This is exactly the type of situation I was talking about.

Sorry about your pain. They can do nothing for you?

Pain Doctor puts me to sleep every three months or so for an epidural. First one two years ago made me blessedly pain free for the first time in four years. Once that wore off subsequent procedures have never worked as well. When I get to the point I have pain again at home where I can basically stay seated, then it's time for another procedure. My July 11 epidural has already worn off, so my main goal in life right now is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible so I can sit down again. On the upside, I finally asked to get a handicapped parking plaque so that comes in handy, and when you ask for a wheelchair at the Monterey Aquarium they give you an extra $15 off your admission for being handicapped. Doctor's mantra is "no surgery, no surgery, no surgery"; but my world has become quite small (no sense traveling when I can't comfortably walk to see the sights) so at some point it may come to surgery.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pain Doctor puts me to sleep every three months or so for an epidural. First one two years ago made me blessedly pain free for the first time in four years. Once that wore off subsequent procedures have never worked as well. When I get to the point I have pain again at home where I can basically stay seated, then it's time for another procedure. My July 11 epidural has already worn off, so my main goal in life right now is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible so I can sit down again. On the upside, I finally asked to get a handicapped parking plaque so that comes in handy, and when you ask for a wheelchair at the Monterey Aquarium they give you an extra $15 off your admission for being handicapped. Doctor's mantra is "no surgery, no surgery, no surgery"; but my world has become quite small (no sense traveling when I can't comfortably walk to see the sights) so at some point it may come to surgery.
I have a bad back but nothing like yours. My previous PCP kept emphasizing that weight loss would do wonders for my knee and back. Have you tried losing a small amount of weight? For me, the threshold of knee pain or not is as few as 5 lbs.

Last edited:

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you VacationForever. I will turn 65 in June and just trying to clarify bits of things I’ve heard.
How will not having a supplemental be a bad decision? My sister has chosen not to get one.
Can I find supplemental choices online to study and compare?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you VacationForever. I will turn 65 in June and just trying to clarify bits of things I’ve heard.
How will not having a supplemental be a bad decision? My sister has chosen not to get one.
Can I find supplemental choices online to study and compare?
There are 3 options:
- Only Medicare. You will be responsible for 20% of the medical costs. A BAD Option.
- Medicare + Advantage. Small to no copay for many services. Low to no premiums. Cover the other 20% that is not covered by Medicare, max Out of Pocket is something like $2K a year. It includes a drug plan. Most cost effective option.
- Medicare + Supplemental + Drug Plan. Expensive option but provides greater flexibility in doctor options. A plan like Plan F covers all doctors' costs and no copay. You still have to pay for drugs like an Advantage Plan even though you need to buy a Drug Plan and the Drug Plan costs something like $80 per month in addition to a Supplemental Plan.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have a bad back but nothing like yours. My previous PCP kept emphasizing that weight loss would do wonders for my knee and back. Have you tried losing a small amount of weight? For me, the threshold of knee pain or not is as few as 5 lbs.
I have been talking about losing weight long before the bulging disc gave me miserable leg pain, but all I do is talk. Right now I'm trying to eat smaller portions. Tonight was card night and it was our turn to host. Gave myself a single scoop of ice cream, but am resenting not getting two. When I get "in the zone" I can give up sweets for six months at a time, or follow Weight Watchers (an old version from 1995), but I haven't been able to get myself to really make it happen. Sweets are my downfall. I weigh 60 pounds more than I did when we got married, I'd love to get 30 off and keep it off, but no one can do that but me and so far I'm not really putting any effort in.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 3 options:
- Only Medicare. You will be responsible for 20% of the medical costs. A BAD Option.
- Medicare + Advantage. Small to no copay for many services. Low to no premiums. Cover the other 20% that is not covered by Medicare, max Out of Pocket is something like $2K a year. It includes a drug plan. Most cost effective option.
- Medicare + Supplemental + Drug Plan. Expensive option but provides greater flexibility in doctor options. A plan like Plan F covers all doctors' costs and no copay. You still have to pay for drugs like an Advantage Plan even though you need to buy a Drug Plan and the Drug Plan costs something like $80 per month in addition to a Supplemental Plan.

I would slightly amend, but, the idea is the same. Based on experiences with DW.

Only Medicare. The cheapest option if you never or rarely go to the doctor for anything expensive. However, if sick, is the most expensive most likely.
Medicare + Advantage. Generally more expensive than just Medicare, may include drug plan. DW had an Advantage plan with no drug coverage, and, a separate drug plan. With few visits or sickness, likely the cheapest option.
Medicare + Supplement + Drug Plan. Same flexibility as base Medicare, more than Advantage plan but not always. The reason is DW has a PFFS Advantage plan, which means any doctor. Most expensive for the Supplement cost + Drug plan.

So, when using a PFFS Advantage plan, you get all the advantages of flexibility.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

This would be risky. Part B pays for non-hospital expenses. You think "doctor's visit" but there are some VERY expensive outpatient protocols like dialysis, chemotherapy, physical therapy after an accident or broken hip, etc.

Supplemental plans have premiums by age band. My BS of California goes up some every other birthday. But everyone that age pays the same.

Incidentally, supplemental plans cover the same things regardless of who sells them, and you can go to any doctor who takes Medicare with any plan. But the price varies widely! There's a place on the medicare.gov site that shows all their prices. Buy the cheapest.

And if you're considering plan F, take a look at plan N. It's about a third cheaper. You have to pay the annual deductible. Sometimes you have to pay a $20 doctor visit copay (but I've never been charged this) and there's a thing called "excess charges" which I've also never seen, but you should check with your friends and/or doctor. For me, N is $60 a month cheaper than F, so $720 saving per year to put toward $184 deductible and a bunch of copays.

Regarding HMOs: the only one I'd consider is Kaiser, and that only if I lived near one of their hospitals and didn't travel much. You have to go to one of their specialists, who may be a poor doctor (someone graduates last in his class, and they usually work for HMOs), remote, or not available. DW was a mental health provider, and she had at least two patients die because they couldn't see a specialist until it was too late (although it might have been too late anyway, but three months is too long with obvious unexplained serious GI symptoms).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have been talking about losing weight long before the bulging disc gave me miserable leg pain, but all I do is talk. Right now I'm trying to eat smaller portions. Tonight was card night and it was our turn to host. Gave myself a single scoop of ice cream, but am resenting not getting two. When I get "in the zone" I can give up sweets for six months at a time, or follow Weight Watchers (an old version from 1995), but I haven't been able to get myself to really make it happen. Sweets are my downfall. I weigh 60 pounds more than I did when we got married, I'd love to get 30 off and keep it off, but no one can do that but me and so far I'm not really putting any effort in.

I don't know if you would be able to- but doing stomach exercises strengthens your back. Like sit-ups, etc.
I am overweight -by 50 lbs- myself, but luckily my back remains strong. I exercise 1 hour every morning before work. Plus I move around a lot- in and out of a car at work at least 20 times- but I also sit a lot driving and at home after work.I eat salad 5 days per week at work for lunch. Oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast and my regular dinners. Usually a low fat frozen yogurt pop after dinner. No cookies or cake in the house. Chocolate sometimes. Weekends I eat what I feel like plus drink wine. My metabolism is shot.

All I know is the less you move around the worse your health gets. If you are always in pain- you are not moving around because of the pain.

My almost 60 year old brother had a very bad disc problem, to the point that he could not longer play tennis or even just walk sometimes and he is very skinny. In fact, the back problem arose AFTER he lost 65 lbs! He went to a well-known surgeon in Manhattan and had surgery one year ago this month and his back has been great ever since and he is back to an active lifestyle again.

I think you should get another medical opinion.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would slightly amend, but, the idea is the same. Based on experiences with DW.

Only Medicare. The cheapest option if you never or rarely go to the doctor for anything expensive. However, if sick, is the most expensive most likely.
Medicare + Advantage. Generally more expensive than just Medicare, may include drug plan. DW had an Advantage plan with no drug coverage, and, a separate drug plan. With few visits or sickness, likely the cheapest option.
Medicare + Supplement + Drug Plan. Same flexibility as base Medicare, more than Advantage plan but not always. The reason is DW has a PFFS Advantage plan, which means any doctor. Most expensive for the Supplement cost + Drug plan.

So, when using a PFFS Advantage plan, you get all the advantages of flexibility.

What is PFFS? I never understand everyone's abbreviations for things.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is PFFS? I never understand everyone's abbreviations for things.

Private Fee For Service, not my invention. Some Advantage plans are labeled thus way.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, do not go with the basic Medicare. Basic Medicare only pays 80% of most services. At minimum, go with a Medicare Advantage Plan, some plans are free while others can be had for a low monthly premium. Medicare Supplemental plans are usually a little more expensive than Advantage Plans and offer more flexibility including going out of state to get treatment.

In the first 2 years, 65 to 67, you can get on a supplemental plan without questions asked. If you wait beyond that, they will qualify as to whether to take you and if so whether you are low or high risk, meaning tier 1, 2 or 3 pricing. Tier 2 and 3 pricings are very expensive. Once you are on an Advantage Plan or Supplemental Plan, they cannot drop you unless that offering disappears. If an applicant is in end stage renal failure, both types of plans will not take the applicant.

Rates do go up every year for Supplemental plans and Advantage plans, but not because of health condition, but just to keep pace with market, aka medical inflation.

Plan F is the best/most expensive Supplemental plan. If you can get on either between 65 to 67 or if later and qualify for tier 1, then you will have the most flexibility in getting care.

Medicare does not sell supplemental plans. They are sold by 3rd parties.

Important thing to remember with supplemental plans. Make certain that they are not going to be closed for new applicants in the future. F plans are going to be closed for new applicants in 2020, I believe.

Why is this important? Long term pricing (the rates as years go by), is based upon the "pool" of people in the supplemental plan. As one gets older, one ends up using more and more healthcare.So, if you cut off the new applicants to a supplemental type, (65 year olds entering into the "pool", the "pool" gets older and older, and the price (relative to other plans) goes up more and more.

For an example, look up Medicare Supplemental plan J (which was closed to new applicants in 2010).

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding supporting children, my son who has autism spectrum disorder is back in university pursuing his second bachelor's degree. I have been using 2 X gifting limit amount, using both my husband's and my limit, since he graduated with his first degree which was about 7 years ago. Now I am back to paying for his second degree + gifting and I hope that I can get out from under this financial obligation when he can get a job with his second degree in the next 18 months. My life is complicated.

Good for you. My daughters have some issues, mostly social. I worry about them getting jobs and supporting themselves. There will be no greater day than the one where both of them are out in the world, working and taking care of themselves and hopefully leading happy and fulfilling lives.

Then it will be time to party!

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
This information is so helpful......I wondered about PLan F and how that would work. I had heard it wouldn’t be available after 2020 but didn’t realize the side effects. With this information it sounds like the beauty of the F plan would be short lived....did I understand that correctly? My sister makes me feel like an idiot when I tell her I plan to get a supplemental. I like to know I am covered adequately so I don’t have any medical cost surprises.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you're considering plan F, take a look at plan N. It's about a third cheaper. You have to pay the annual deductible. Sometimes you have to pay a $20 doctor visit copay (but I've never been charged this) and there's a thing called "excess charges" which I've also never seen, but you should check with your friends and/or doctor. For me, N is $60 a month cheaper than F, so $720 saving per year to put toward $184 deductible and a bunch of copays.

I look at it the same as the above but I address it a different way. I have had the High Deductible Plan F for years now. Same thing as Regular Plan F except that I have to cover the first (roughly) $2,000 that Medicare doesn't cover. My cost is dramatically cheaper than the Regular Plan F. Fortunately I am healthy and my out of pocket covering the deductibles has been in the vacinity of $300 - $400 each year. My lower premium saves me a lot more than that....

George

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son in law had a heart attack and then a stroke at age 36. He was dropped by his job and consequently his insurance by the end of the week.